From: jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PIII Xeon 500MHz
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:19:41 -0500

I have a quad processor Xeon machine running just fine.  No problems.

Jeff

------------------------------

From: jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Need help - IRQ blocked by another device?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:26:50 -0500

Is your APIC mode set to full table or full table mapped?
Linux works best with full table mapped mode, (at least with 2.2.5)

Jeff

PS read the APIC howto

------------------------------

From: Michael J. Dvorak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: *** Need modem recommendation for LINUX
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:13:51 -0500

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Tsmanlyman wrote:
>Multi-tech MT5634ZPX PCI. Both the ISA and PCI versions work. There are a LOT
>of others, as well. I can't remember the URL for the site, but a google search
>should dig it up tootsweet. www.google.com

Try the Linux Hardware Database @ http://lhd.datapower.com/  for a
recommendation.  I am just installed Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 and have a Creative
ModemBlaster Flash56 DI5601.  I was having trouble until I disabled the PnP
(Plug-n-Pray) and set the COM port for 4 and the IRQ to 3.  Now it works great
with the Kppp dialup software.  Good luck.

Michael Dvorak
Math student

------------------------------

From: Dallman Ross <d m a n @ n e t c o m . c o m>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.windows.x.i386unix
Subject: Re: Diamond Viper 32MB V770D NVIDIA TNT2
Date: 15 Jul 1999 19:07:09 GMT

Kristin Aanestad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spake thusly:

> EKK wrote:
> > Diamond Viper 32MB V770D NVIDIA TNT2

> Somewhat supported, but the 3D engine isn't.
> However, nVidia themselves have published a Linux driver for the
> TNT series.

> http://www.nvidia.com/Products.nsf/htmlmedia/software_drivers.html

> You will also want the MesaGL and MesaGLUT rpm's - to be found on the
> PowerTools CD from RedHat or - perhaps the better choise - at their
> ftp site and mirrors under the PowerTools section of RH6

Can you tell us more?  Why do I want this Mesa stuff, and what is it?
I've been reading this group for 2 months and have tried to look at
every posting to do with Diamond Viper cards, but have never seen a
reference to this before.

--
    \     .-.     .-.     .-.     .-.     .-.     .-.     .-.     /
     \-d-/-m-\-a-/-n-\-@-/-n-\-e-/-t-\-c-/-o-\-m-/-.-\-c-/-o-\-m-/

------------------------------

From: Robert =?iso-8859-1?Q?Schmitz=2DH=FCbsch?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HiSax for TELES.SO/16.3c Plug & Play
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 21:35:30 +0200

I tried all the stuff you wrote above (same ISDN-card TELES 16.3c PnP).
I could not
work it out, though. My system (SUSE LINUX 6.1-kernel 2.2.5) reports
this
(/var/log/messages):

Total 1 card defined
Card 1 Protocol EDSS1 Id=hisax
Teles 16.3c driver Rev. 1.3
Teles 16.3c config port 4-6 already in use
Card Teles 16.3c not installed

...after entering this:

modprobe hisax type=14 protocol=2 irq=4 io=4 io0=0x0580 io1=0x0180

Is it installed then, or not, or what the...?

------------------------------

Subject: Re: GVC internal PCI modem
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:59:52 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Oehlke  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >should setserial work ok?
>>
>> See http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html

This site has setserial instructions for the Lucent Venus-based PCI
modems that are known to work with Linux.

I still wouldn't mind hearing which GVC modem you have, in case anyone
else asks.

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://ww.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

------------------------------

From: "R.K.Aa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.windows.x.i386unix
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:52:46 +0200

Dallman Ross wrote:

> Kristin Aanestad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spake thusly:
>
> > EKK wrote:
> > > Diamond Viper 32MB V770D NVIDIA TNT2
>
> > Somewhat supported, but the 3D engine isn't.
> > However, nVidia themselves have published a Linux driver for the
> > TNT series.
>
> > http://www.nvidia.com/Products.nsf/htmlmedia/software_drivers.html
>
> > You will also want the MesaGL and MesaGLUT rpm's - to be found on the
> > PowerTools CD from RedHat or - perhaps the better choise - at their
> > ftp site and mirrors under the PowerTools section of RH6
>
> Can you tell us more?  Why do I want this Mesa stuff, and what is it?
> I've been reading this group for 2 months and have tried to look at
> every posting to do with Diamond Viper cards, but have never seen a
> reference to this before.

You want the Mesa stuff cause the Mesa stuff is the GPL version of
openGL, and openGL is the software stuff that handles 3D stuff you want
your graphic card to accellerate :)
There's also handling for 3D in the software nVidia has for download -
do follow instruction and link as they tell you to.

3D-applications you later want to run will want Mesastuff too, however.
(nice term).
So throw it onboard. Again: follow the instructions from nVidia and
you'll be ok.

Then again - if you simply want to use the card for 2D there's no big
point in downloading nVidia drivers or Mesa at all.

If you want the latest Mesastuff (instead of the rpm's) you can of
course download that too and compile it on your own.
http://www.mesa3d.org/

A page you also might wanna look at is http://glide.xxedgexx.com/
Rude, crude and informative about 3D under Linux.

K.

------------------------------

From: Tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What are the sync and refresh rates are for the Dell I7000 Laptop?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:31:32 -0700

Hi,

I must confess that by blind luck I managed to get a working 800x600
resolution "screen" setting for my I7000, by using the XiGraphics
Drivers. This was about 6 months ago and I did not make a copy of my
XF86Config file. I just upgraded to RedHat 6.0 (not relevant to this
email) and it blew away the good XF86Config file.

I realized, while trying to get the XFree86 drivers going again, that I
really did not know some important information concerning the LCD and
its video card. For example the specs for refresh rate and sync rate are
always published for video monitors.  I have not the slightest idea of
these specifications concerning my monitor and Dell is not forthcomming
about them either.

Can anyone  help?

Thank You
Tom

From: Michael McConnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Bad Modem or bad connections?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:52:47 +0100

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Ramin Sina wrote:

> Hi all, this may be a stupid question, but how can I tell if a modem is
> gone bad and needs replacement?
> I have an internal  v90 US Robatics modem which I had been successfully
> using to connect my SuSE 5.2 machine to my ISP. Now when I use ezppp to
> dial in, I get connected ( I hear the usuall modem noise and I get the
> written  indication that connection was made) but
>
> 1)  it takes netscape a very long time to launch now
> 2) pppd dies after a few of minutes.
>
> My ISP provides no support for linux users, but claims that nothing they
> have changed in their modems that could possibly slow down the
> connection. Does this necessarily mean  that my modem needs replacement
> , or is it possible that my configuration files are corrupted? What is
> the best way to test the modem?

Is your machine dual-boot Windows and Linux? If so, does the modem work fine
in Windows? If so, see what its settings are.

I had this sort of problem when my modem was COM3 IRQ5 and I'd forgotten to
use setserial to set /dev/ttyS2 to IRQ5 (instead of its default IRQ4).

-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell                       [Red Hat 6.0 Available!]
Eridani Star System  --  The Most Up-to-Date Red Hat Linux CDROMs Available
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.amush.cx/linux/   Fax: +44-8701-600807

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD k6 and K62 - i386 compabatability
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:28:13 -0500

Bob Kochis wrote:

> Has anyone tried using either of these processors with a Pentium kernal, not
> the default i386 mode kernal? I am currently using RH6 with the 2.2.5-15
> kernal.

I thought I remembered that the installation process picked the correct one for
me.  At any rate, if you choose to build a custom kernel, "K6" is now one of
the configuration options.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: David Huff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Yamaha OPL3SA pnp grief
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:32:37 -0500

Ian MacLaren wrote:

> Has anyone got one of these cards to work in Redhat 6.0 ?
>
> Windows NT is happy but I get a resource conflict at I/O
> address 300.  The irq and I/O settings are identical to NT.

I've got this chipset in my Gateway Solo 9100 laptop and just got sound
working on it under RH 6.0 yesterday.

I checked the EPROM setup and MS Windows and determined that I was using
the following resources for it:

IRQ             11
I/O             220H - 22FH
MPU 401 I/O     300H - 303H
MSS I/O         530H - 537H
DMA             CH1
WAV DMA         CH3

I don't know about isapnp.conf, I just edited /etc/conf.modules
directly. Here's the relevant line:

options opl3sa2 mss_io=0x530 irq=11 dma=1 dma2=3 mpu_io=0x300 io=0x220

Rebooted, and sound worked.

    _
 __| |_  David P. Huff            | "Linux: Because reboots
 \_   _} [EMAIL PROTECTED]             |  are for upgrades."
   \_(   Texas Instruments, Inc.  |

------------------------------

From: bono <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.kernel.general,redhat.general
Subject: Re: Problem installing zip-drive on RH 6.0, using insmod ppa
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:10:01 -0700

should be

insmod parport
insmod imm

instead of insmod ppa in RH6

Hope it helps

Bono

------------------------------

From: Dallman Ross <d m a n @ n e t c o m . c o m>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.windows.x.i386unix
Date: 15 Jul 1999 21:21:46 GMT

R.K.Aa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spake thusly:
> You want the Mesa stuff cause the Mesa stuff is the GPL version of
> openGL, and openGL is the software stuff that handles 3D stuff you want
> your graphic card to accellerate :)
> There's also handling for 3D in the software nVidia has for download -
> do follow instruction and link as they tell you to.

> 3D-applications you later want to run will want Mesastuff too, however.
> (nice term).
> So throw it onboard. Again: follow the instructions from nVidia and
> you'll be ok.

Okay, thanks.  (I'm not a gamer.  But why not?  I'll get it.)

--
    \     .-.     .-.     .-.     .-.     .-.     .-.     .-.     /
     \-d-/-m-\-a-/-n-\-@-/-n-\-e-/-t-\-c-/-o-\-m-/-.-\-c-/-o-\-m-/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: "A20 Gate not responding!"
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:36:25 GMT

[Please note FollowUp-To: header]

Jason Graalum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Please stop that. Thanks.

[...]

>boot:
>A20 gate not responding!
>boot:

>And so on and so on.....

This is a serious hardware error.

>I have a hell'a old 486 with AMI BIOS. I understand what the A20
>gate is, but do not know how to control it either through BIOS

[...]

Try it. 486 machines used to have an option

Fast A20 gate enable/disable

for this task. If yours doesn't (or if it is already enabled),
then your only hope with that
specific board would be some DOS BIOS tweaking utility that lets
you access hidden BIOS options. Or a different board, of course.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: Henk Bokhoven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.apps.cdwrite,comp.os.linux.help,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Yamaha 4416S crashed Linux on bootup
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:37:01 +0200

Richard Nunez wrote:

> My SCSI CD-Writer is set to ID 6, and I am using an Adaptec 2490-UW PCI
> card.
>
> I have the best and standard hardware.  It worked fine under RH 5.2, but
> after I reinstalled it doesn't work.  I have to shut off the power to the
> Writer to bootup properly.

[ snip ]

Sounds familiar... same card (card-ID=7, Yamaha-ID=3, SCSI-hdd-ID=6),
same drive (BIOS-revision 1.0g), Linux-Adaptec-driver is version
5.1.17/3.2.4
(More hardware-info check < URL http://bok.selwerd.cx/cgi-bin/sysinfo >)
What I did (as far as I can recall) was disable the detection of the
Yamaha in the Adaptec-BIOS, install / upgrade Linux and enable it again.
HTH!
--
   ___  ___       __         |  Henk C.A. Bokhoven, Groningen, NL
  /  / /  /____  (__)__  ___ | E-mail : hbokh at worldonline dot nl

------------------------------

From: "Larry Blumer, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and ATI Rage Fury.
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:49:42 GMT

Chris Johnson wrote:

> Does Linux support this card? Is anyone running with a Rage Fury? I have
> checked the hardware compatibility lists and cannot find this card
> mentioned, unless it is backward compatible with a already supported ATI
> card.
>
> Thanks

I was able to get my rage fury to work, but only using frame bufferiing
(i.e. no acceleration).  I myself was not able to get the Mach64 driver to
work.

Larry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard MacLennan)
Subject: XF86 driver/setup for ATI Rage Fury 128 AGP
Date: 15 Jul 1999 21:46:54 GMT

To All Comp.Os.Linux.Hardware Readers:

     I am trying to get Xwindows to work in SuSE Linux 6.1.  I believe that
SuSE supports the most recent, stable release of XFree86.  I am using a ATI
Rage Fury 128 AGP graphics card with 32 MB memory. I was initally able to get
it to work using VGA16, but in a very low resolution (640x480 8bit colour).

     I have now switched to ATI Rage Fury 128 AGP card with TV out.  Xwindows
no longer works, either using the computer display alone or using a TV monitor.

      Has anyone gotten the ATI Rage Fury card to work using TV out, and in
higher resolutions than VGA16?  This is a popular graphics card so I am sure
there is a demand for it,

     I have checked both the ATI and XFree86 web sites but to no avail.  Any
information on how to set-up Linux to run through my TV using the Rage Fury
card would be much appreciated.

     Thank you in advance for any help that you may provide.

Cheers!  Richard MacLennan  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Ramin Sina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:59:48 -0400

Michael McConnell wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Ramin Sina wrote:
>
> > Hi all, this may be a stupid question, but how can I tell if a modem is
> > gone bad and needs replacement?
> > I have an internal  v90 US Robatics modem which I had been successfully
> > using to connect my SuSE 5.2 machine to my ISP. Now when I use ezppp to
> > dial in, I get connected ( I hear the usuall modem noise and I get the
> > written  indication that connection was made) but
> >
> > 1)  it takes netscape a very long time to launch now
> > 2) pppd dies after a few of minutes.
> >
> > My ISP provides no support for linux users, but claims that nothing they
> > have changed in their modems that could possibly slow down the
> > connection. Does this necessarily mean  that my modem needs replacement
> > , or is it possible that my configuration files are corrupted? What is
> > the best way to test the modem?
>
> Is your machine dual-boot Windows and Linux? If so, does the modem work fine
> in Windows? If so, see what its settings are.

Thanks for your responde. It is Just Linux

> I had this sort of problem when my modem was COM3 IRQ5 and I'd forgotten to
> use setserial to set /dev/ttyS2 to IRQ5 (instead of its default IRQ4).

How do I do something like that?

Thanks
Ramin Sina

> -- Michael "Soruk" McConnell                       [Red Hat 6.0 Available!]
> Eridani Star System  --  The Most Up-to-Date Red Hat Linux CDROMs Available
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.amush.cx/linux/   Fax: +44-8701-600807

 Ramin Sina

 Institute    for   Physical   Science    and    Technology
 University  of  Maryland   College Park   Maryland   20742
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]   (301) 405 4860     Fax: (301) 314 9363