Linux-Hardware Digest #798, Volume #10           Mon, 19 Jul 99 19:13:33 EDT

Contents:
  Re: scsi tape errors (Andries Brouwer)
  Sound Card help(Turtle Beach Montegro) (Dan Anderson)
  Re: New beta driver for SB Live (Slawek Zak)
  best data modem ("Malcolm Carlson")
  SCSI CDROM Not Mounting ("Iain")
  Re: Where should I buy PC *parts* onine? (Marcus Lauer)
  ASUSCOM PCI ISDN adapter drivers needed ("HaTcH")
  Re: ATAPI Zip drive-- mount partition 1 or 4???? (Andries Brouwer)
  PCI SDSL Modem under LINUX? (Ron Wolenty)
  Re: HP Colorado 5/8GB? (Matthew Hunter)
  RAID controler? (Greg Leblanc)
  Re: Modem install problem ("Stuart Ewen")
  Does anybody know if Creative Labs 2xAGP 3D Graphics Blaster Riva TNT  ("Dr Aldo
Medina [mx]")
  ftape using Travan (Dom)
  Re: Tekram DC-395 UW and Linux ? (Luigi Gangitano)
  Re: How to read/write/format MS-DOS floppy disks??? ("Lee Sharp")
  muti-monitor support (GUAY Dominic)
  SIS 6215c Help!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Eicon DIVA under Linux? (Christophe Lambin)
  Re: Will a modem on a USB port work with Linux? (Stuart R. Fuller)
  Re: 4 CPU motherboard (Greg Leblanc)
  hardware problem? (Jonathan Sprague)
  Re: ftape using Travan (Robert Komar)
  zoltrix 56k modem problems (Nathan Roberts)
  Re: Help Installing Modem (John Thompson)
  Re: Who makes good AMD boxes? (John Doe)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andries Brouwer)
Subject: Re: scsi tape errors
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 19:42:07 GMT

:     st0: Error with sense data: Current error st09:00: sense key Medium
: Error

Probably this just means what it says: bad medium, i.e., bad spots
on the tape. Better use a different tape if you want a reliable backup.
Verify your backup.

------------------------------

From: Dan Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Card help(Turtle Beach Montegro)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:29:12 -0400

Any of you had any luck configuring a Turtle Beach Montegro A3D sound
card (shipped with Dell). Its not going so well for me so any help is
good.

thanks,
Dan

------------------------------

From: Slawek Zak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New beta driver for SB Live
Date: 19 Jul 1999 21:27:19 +0200

** "Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Chris> Btw, I was wondering when HP will provide the drivers for their
Chris> Deskjet 720C and others! There is a lot of delay. Wonder if
Chris> they ever release them...
These are WinPrinters. Don't expect them to work too good under
Linux. Checkout linux-printing-compatibility HOWTO.

--
"Where do we keep all our chainsaws, mom?"
Suavek Zak       RIPE/SZ61-ORG  PGP: finger:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Malcolm Carlson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: best data modem
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:09:19 -0500

I just installed a best data isa 56.6v90 modem but can't get it mounted.
It's not a win modem.  I got rid of that one.  I just went into gnome and
was using the kde utility to get it setup.  Is there something else I need
to do?  Also, isn't there some command to turn on the virtual desktop?  I
can't find it in the HOW TO documents.

Thanks,
MCC

------------------------------

From: "Iain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: SCSI CDROM Not Mounting
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 19:55:37 +0100

=======_NextPart_000_0018_01BED220.ABB1DF60

Please help!
Installed RedHat5.2, all went well. Did a Make Config, added a few bits =
and removed a few bits. Wend thru the rest of the make etc. Rebooted, =
tried to mount the CD and got the following message

[root@gandalf /mnt]# mount cdrom
mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
       (maybe `insmod driver'?)

Also I noticed the following message when booting

waiting: SCSISEQ (); SCSISIG (DATA OUT); INTSTAT (hi); SSTAT (BUSFREE ); =
SSTAT (
BUSFREE ); SXFRCTL0 (CH1 ); SIGNAL (); SELID (00), SSTAT2 (SEMPTY ); =
SFCNT (0);=20
SCSICNT (0), OFFCNT(0), SSTAT4 (); DMACNTRL0 (16BIT PIO READ ); DMASTAT =
(DFIFOEM
P )
enabled interrupts (ENBUSFREE )
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 5, scsi0, channel 0, id 5, =
lun 0 Te
st Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00=20
aha152x: abort(), SCpnt=3D0x0028a018, QUEUE STATUS:
issue_SC:
0x0028a018: target=3D5; lun=3D0; cmnd=3D(Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00=20
); residual=3D256; buffers=3D0; phase |not issued|; next=3D0x00000000
current_SC:
none
disconnected_SC:

Please help!!

Cheers
Iain

=======_NextPart_000_0018_01BED220.ABB1DF60

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Please help!</DIV>
<DIV>Installed RedHat5.2, all went well. Did a Make Config, added a few =
bits and=20
removed a few bits. Wend thru the rest of the make etc. Rebooted, tried =
to mount=20
the CD and got the following message</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><EM><FONT face=3D"" size=3D2>[root@gandalf /mnt]# mount =
cdrom<BR>mount: the=20
kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block=20
device<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (maybe `insmod=20
driver'?)</FONT></EM></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Also I noticed the following message when booting</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><EM>waiting: SCSISEQ (); SCSISIG (DATA OUT); INTSTAT =
(hi);=20
SSTAT (BUSFREE ); SSTAT (<BR>BUSFREE ); SXFRCTL0 (CH1 ); SIGNAL (); =
SELID (00),=20
SSTAT2 (SEMPTY ); SFCNT (0); <BR>SCSICNT (0), OFFCNT(0), SSTAT4 (); =
DMACNTRL0=20
(16BIT PIO READ ); DMASTAT (DFIFOEM<BR>P )<BR>enabled interrupts =
(ENBUSFREE=20
)<BR>scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 5, scsi0, channel 0, =
id 5, lun=20
0 Te<BR>st Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00 <BR>aha152x: abort(), =
SCpnt=3D0x0028a018,=20
QUEUE STATUS:<BR>issue_SC:<BR>0x0028a018: target=3D5; lun=3D0; =
cmnd=3D(Test Unit Ready=20
00 00 00 00 00 <BR>); residual=3D256; buffers=3D0; phase |not issued|;=20
next=3D0x00000000<BR>current_SC:<BR>none<BR>disconnected_SC:</EM></FONT><=
/DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Please help!!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Cheers</DIV>
<DIV>Iain</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

From: Marcus Lauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where should I buy PC *parts* onine?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:19:45 -0700

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, benjamin j snyder wrote:
>In article <7muco0$iui$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Neville  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>where to buy. I've checked shopper.com and pricewatch for the lowest
>>priced places, but I'd prefer to buy everything (mobo, cpu, memory, HD,
>>case, etc.) from one place at a reasonable price.
>
>Perhaps my definition of quality and reasonable prices arent the same as yours,
>perhaps not.  However, I've found that the motherboard I want is not offered
>by the same place that has the video card I want, and vice versa.  If you have
>all of the components narrowed down to a few then buying at one place is
>possible, but if you have it narrowed down to specific cards, mobo etc, you may
>have problems.
>
>--
>Ben Snyder

        If you're buying online, then be absolutely sure to look at
www.resellerratings.com .  It's where people rate the online companies they've
purchased from.  Use this along with pricewatch.com/shopper.com/killerapp.com
to find a company which is both cheap and which won't screw you.

                                                           Marcus Lauer

------------------------------

From: "HaTcH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ASUSCOM PCI ISDN adapter drivers needed
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 19:51:58 +0200

I need drivers for asuscom PCI isdn adapter. HiSaX currently only supports
ISA version.
Or is there any other way to get it work?

Regards

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andries Brouwer)
Subject: Re: ATAPI Zip drive-- mount partition 1 or 4????
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 19:49:53 GMT

Carbon111 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: Greetings,
:   Im running SuSE 6.1 but had this same problem for RH 5.2.
: My ATAPI Zip 100 sometimes works as /dev/hdd4 but sometimes dosent and i
: have to alter fstab to /dev/hdd1 to get it working again...then when
: that fails, I have to set it back to /dev/hdd4/
:   What is up with this?????

Disks have partition tables, floppies don't.
You can use this disk as a big floppy, and call it /dev/hdd.
On the other hand, you can write a partition table on it
with one or more partitions, and use /dev/hdd1, /dev/hdd2, ...

Now you can get them preformatted, with a partition table
where one of the four primary partitions is used and the other three
are empty. Some manufacturers pick /dev/hdd4 and some pick /dev/hdd1
as the partition to use.

It doesnt matter, but if it annoys you, you can use [c]fdisk or so
to repartition the drive.

------------------------------

From: Ron Wolenty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PCI SDSL Modem under LINUX?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:59:13 -0500

I would like to configure a LINUX system as a
gateway/webserver/mailserver/firewall/router for a LAN.  I need to know
if there are any SDSL cards available that run under LINUX.  Xspeed
makes a card but LINUX drivers are not due out for about 30 days.  Has
anyone done this?

Ron

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Hunter)
Subject: Re: HP Colorado 5/8GB?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 20:58:31 GMT

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999 23:48:03 GMT, in comp.os.linux.hardware,
Ian Briggs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Does anyone have any good/bad experiences running an internal HP Colorado
>5GB or 8GB with Linux?

I've used the 8GB model.  It works reasonably with recent kernels, but
has had some buggy drivers in the past, and I don't know if the
problems have been fully corrected (the workaround is to use the drive
with SCSI emulation)..

--
Matthew Hunter ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (Linux)
Currently reading: Dracula (Bram Stoker)

------------------------------

From: Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: RAID controler?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 21:05:20 GMT

I need to build a rather "beefy" server for linux.  I'm looking about a
P-II 350 (possibly faster), 256 megs of ram, probably about 18gigs of
drive space.  I would prefer if the hard drive was a Hardware RAID 5
array.  Can somebody recomend which controllers are best supported under
linux?  Maybe the HP controlers, or the Adaptec AAA-131 SA?  Thanks,
     Greg
--
It's pronounced "sexy" not "scuzzy"!

From: "Stuart Ewen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Modem install problem
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 21:51:16 +0100

If you have two com ports, disable com2 in the bios and use that for the
modem.  I take it this has been configured with isapnptools, setserial
etc...?

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:11:34 -0500
From: "Dr Aldo Medina [mx]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Does anybody know if Creative Labs 2xAGP 3D Graphics Blaster Riva TNT

It's not specifically listed on Hardware HOWTO, but I know Linux
supports several Creative Graphics Blaster, and at least on Diamond it
supports the riva TNT chipset. Could anybody help me?. I'm deciding on
buying this card or a Diamond Stealth Viper 330. Thanks

------------------------------

From: Dom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ftape using Travan
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 19:31:08 GMT

using tar *** ftape tells me that travan floppy tape drive can only be
mounted in read mode as the the tapes are blank preformatted ones this
isn't very helpful. Where am I going wrong?

A new but so far impressed user.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Luigi Gangitano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tekram DC-395 UW and Linux ?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 23:31:40 +0200

Be careful, the card works really fine under 2.0.x kernel, but I have
some problems with 2.2.x. At the time I'm in contact with driver
developers in Taiwan to fix some bugs.

Anyway the card is really worth its (cheap) price.

------------------------------

From: "Lee Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to read/write/format MS-DOS floppy disks???
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:29:20 -0500

GUAY Dominic wrote in message ...

|I need to access, format, read and write MS-DOS format disks under Linux.
|Does any of you know of a way to get this to work??
|thanks,

   The easy way is Mtools, such as "mformat" which come with some
distributions.  Also mounting using "vfat."  A query of the howtos with
those keywords should give you what you need.  I can not remember the
command line format, or I would tell you now. :-)

            Lee

--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. * Black

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (GUAY Dominic)
Subject: muti-monitor support
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 19:43:52 GMT

I've been searching dejanews/howtos and i cant find an answer.

Under Linux, how, if it is possible, does one runs 2 monitors (with
different displays). Where, for exemple, i could display my X-app on a
screen and use the other for wathever else.

I'm planning to run a LCD Syncmaster and a cathodic screen.

Are there better graphic cards to do the job?

thanks,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SIS 6215c Help!!
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 23:57:31 +0200

More than likely this is a stupid question, but I'm a newbie so please
bear with me

I've just installed Redhat 6 and can't get X-Windows (using KDE) to give
me a screen resolution higher than 320x200.

I've tried using xconf and trying various combos of monitor and card
settings, but still can't get passed it. Are there maybe drivers for
this card, or maybe I'm missing something.

I'm using a SIS 6215c (PCI) and a generic monitor. In Windows 95 I can
get up to 800x600 in color depths of 256 colors up to 24 bit.

Thanks
Roscoe Cairney

------------------------------

From: Christophe Lambin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Eicon DIVA under Linux?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:49:25 +0200

> can u pls explain how it worked for u??

To get the 2.01 PCI to work, you need isdn4linux kernel code, dated 1
July 1999 or later. The 2.01 has a different interface than the 2.0, for
which support was added only recently in isdn4linux.

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/isdn4linux/

Regards,
Christophe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: Will a modem on a USB port work with Linux?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:00:03 GMT

Roland Behunin ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi Folks,
:
: Well, that is the question - will a modem on a USB port work with linux.

This is the answer: NO.

: Seems I have a winmodem (combined with sound card) on the inside of my
: computer.
:
: So I am wondering if I should try and locate and external modem - for a USB
: port or a serial port.

Go with the serial port external modem.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 4 CPU motherboard
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 20:41:02 GMT

With the OFFICIAL Intel chipsets, the P-II/III can only go up to dual
processors.  The Xeon can go up to four(8 eventually) processors in a
single PC.  Intel makes very good MP boards.  If you're looking for a
system, Dell, Compaq, and HP are all good.  I would personally go with
either a system based on an Intel mainboard, or Dell for a complete
system.  I would not build the system myself, unless it was a play toy.
Server grade hardware is sold as a system, in order to ensure complete
compatibilty with all of the components.  Just MHO,
        Greg

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  EKK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > But you probably meant x86 compatable, right?  Where you looking for
> > PPro, or Xeon, or something using a specialized chipset for the
Pentium

--
It's pronounced "sexy" not "scuzzy"!

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:26:28 -0500
From: Jonathan Sprague <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: hardware problem?

just upgraded my home server (486 with RedHat 5.0) with a different
motherboard, cpu and ram. Now every few days (apparently totally at
random) I get this error and the system locks up/shuts down;

unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
c0000024
then a whole bunch of stuff ending with ;
vfs:iput:trying to free free inode
vfs:device 00:00

anyone have any ideas? I suppose I could just start swapping parts but I
would like to learn something here!

   http://www.newsfeeds.com       The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
======== Over 73,000 Newsgroups = Including  Dedicated  Binaries Servers =======

------------------------------

From: Robert Komar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ftape using Travan
Date: 19 Jul 1999 21:32:35 GMT

Dom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: using tar *** ftape tells me that travan floppy tape drive can only be
: mounted in read mode as the the tapes are blank preformatted ones this
: isn't very helpful. Where am I going wrong?
:

Try erasing the tape first to put a volume table at the start
of the tape.  Use:

mt -f /dev/ftape erase

Cheers,
Rob Komar

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:32:30 -0400
From: Nathan Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: zoltrix 56k modem problems

 I'm currently running Slackware 4, kernel 2.2.10 with ipmasq, chains,
etc, for a Winblows client (so my Mother and I can share the modem in my
Linux box).
 I have a Zoltrix 56k FMVSP56i internal ISA modem (NON-p'n'pray). When I
connect to my ISP in Linux, it 'connects' at 40000 or 42000, generally.
However, my download rates, no matter where I download from or what type
of file, are only about 3.5Megs an hour (back to the days of 2400bps
modems). I have the software rate set at 230400 and can go up to 460800
(neither have made any difference at all), I haven't yet checked to make
certain of my serial settings(I will today), and I'm running a rather
old k56 code (going to flash it soon and try out the latest
v.90(again)).
 My problem is not with the phone line nor my ISP, this modem works
perfectly in Winblows, just not in Linux.
 I was wondering of anyone else has had similar problems with this modem
and what they did to 'fix' it, if they could? I've been told by Zoltrix
Tech Support that this modem can do the error-correction and
(de)compression onboard and does not really need the Winblows driver.
 Below are some of the ATI responses from my modem.
ATI  56000
ATI1 255
ATI3 V2.012 022-001-K56_DLP
ATI4 111151012004  r3000111170000000
ATI5 022
ATI6 RCV56DPF L8570A Rev 45.0/45.0

 Any help would be appreciated as I'd absolutely _LOVE_ nothing better
than to ditch Winblows alltogether. :)

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help Installing Modem
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 07:42:05 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm new to linux and after spending a week of getting X to finally work
> "properly" I came across the modem installation. After Configuring Kppp i
> click on connect and it says "Modem Ready", then says "initializing modem"
> and stays that way forever until i quit. Does anyone know what I have to do
> , or where i can find information on this? and also do I need to download
> any rpms ?

What kind of modem (ie, are you sure it's not a
"winmodem")?  Does it echo back any reponse to "AT"
commands?

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Doe)
Subject: Re: Who makes good AMD boxes?
Date: 19 Jul 1999 18:36:24 -0500

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:45:40 -0500, Bobby D. Bryant
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>David A. Rogers wrote:
>
>> Here's what I'm looking for:
>> AMD K6-2 or K6-3 at 450
>> Good quality Motherboard (suggestions?)
>> 64MB ram
>> CD ROM
>> 8-9 gig hd
>> Linux compat AGP video _card_ (not on-board video)
>>
>> That's all I need.  Don't need sound.  Don't need a monitor.
>>
>> Who makes a good quality box at a decent price?
>
>Have you considered building your own?  It's intimidating if you haven't
>done it before, but there's not really that much to it, especially if
>you've changed cards and added memory before.  I built one similar to
>what you're describing earlier this summer.

I recommend against this 'building your own' thing.
Simple economics mean that it is more costly because
you don't enjoy the economy of scale that manufacturer
have.  Also if you are employed at say $70/hr every
hour you spend doing research for components
and building means $70. Let professionals build your machine
and spend your money and time for something better.

Building your own is all about turning screws and reading
manuals and it is really not enlightening.  Sure there are
poeple who enjoys 'building your own' thing and there is
nothing wrong with it.  But if you want *quality AND
price* DON'T BUILD YOUR OWN.

Here are some web pages you can buy linux boxes

        www.indybox.com
        www.penguincomputing.com
        www.tcu-inc.com

Here is where I got two links