Linux-Hardware Digest #803, Volume #10           Tue, 20 Jul 99 15:13:42 EDT

Contents:
  Re: 3com / US robotics 56K (Davis Eric)
  NEC SuperScript 1800 w/PostScript level 2 (Carlos Wexler)
  Re: linux on a gateway solo 2500se? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: HP false advertising!!!! ("David J. Topper")
  Re: HP false advertising!!!! ("David J. Topper")
  Resetting the SCSI bus (Dave Ulrick)
  Re: Does anybody know if Creative Labs 2xAGP 3D Graphics Blaster Riva  (Jeffrey Chok)
  New & hot linux books at DISCOUNT ("Order SQL - books! (discount price!)")
  pcmcia recommendations (Walter Dean)
  Re: LS-120? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Epson Stylus Colour 440 (Dale Pontius)
  Re: Zip, Jazz, and Orbs. (benjamin j snyder)
  Re: X on Compaq Laptop ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Printer error in RH5.2 (Canon BJC-4100) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  linux and midi on a notebook (The Mitochondrion)
  Re: [Q] 440BX/GX/LX and others (EKK)
  Re: MSI 5169 and K6-2/450 (Greg Leblanc)
  Re: Cant get Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI to work (Sinner from the Prairy)
  Mount 2nd CDROM (Dan Anderson)
  Re: Looking for good *sounding* sound card (EKK)
  US Robotics Modem ? ("Vikram")
  pb whith GPM and MC (chausson aux pommes)
  Re: Mount 2nd CDROM (EKK)
  Re: Windrover Notebooks running Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Will a modem on a USB port work with Linux? (Greg Leblanc)
  Re: Mount 2nd CDROM (Greg Leblanc)
  Anyone Get The CMI8330 Working ? ("Allix")

From: Davis Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: 3com / US robotics 56K
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:44:40 GMT

Hi,

Try Jaton Communicator II. It is terrific in my Linux box. I use RHL 6.0
and Win95. It can be found and used in both OS.

Good luck,

Davis

In article <7n153b$ci4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  gATHIS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> k96rk01 wrote:
> >

> > I'm trying to find a 56K modem that will work under linux.  I
checked the
> > "Linux modems list," aka "Winmodems are not modems," and discovered
that
> the
> > 3com / USRobotics Sportster 56K, model 1785, allegedly works fine.
> >
> > The problem is that I can't find any of these being sold anywhere.
The
> > closest model number I can find is 1787, and I can't find any
technical
> > details that tell if this one would probably be compatible, too.
I'm

--
I do not feel shameful if I was and am an idiot; I
will feel shameful if I haven't realized it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carlos Wexler)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: NEC SuperScript 1800 w/PostScript level 2
Date: 20 Jul 1999 14:35:20 GMT

Hi everyone!

I am looking to buy a postscript laser printer and found a printer with
very nice specifications for a nice price:

NEC SuperScript 1800 (about $770 at PCConnection)
====================
1200dpi (not that I can see the difference w/r/t 600...)
17 ppm (manufacturer's claims...)
PCL5/6 and PostScript Level 2 (additional ~$110)
Duplex  (nice feature! lets save some trees...)

Claims to be compatible with Windoze/DOS and Mac (with the PS kit and an
optional mac interface)

Will it work with Linux?  It should, right?  After all it is PostScript...

But will I know the escape sequences to make it print either in duplex or
simplex mode?

How reliable are NEC printers? (I was going to get an HP 2100 w/PS for
about the same price, but no duplexing)

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

                        Carlos

Carlos Wexler                     |  Dept. of Physics, Box 118440
                                  |  University of Florida
                                  |  Gainesville, FL 32611-8440
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               |  Tel: (352) 392-7334
http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~wexler   |  FAX: (352) 392-0524

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: linux on a gateway solo 2500se?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:42:01 GMT

I was hoping to do the same on a Solo 9100. Have
you had any success in getting linux working on
the 2500se?

In article <7mo0ka$ral$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Anybody has experience installing linux on a
gateway solo 2500SE laptop?
> any fallbacks?
>
> thanks
>
> turgut
>
> ps: my e-mail is below
>
> --
>
> -----------------
>
> d u r d u r a n @
>                 m a i l . s a s . u p e n n . e
d u

        -----------------

From: "David J. Topper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: HP false advertising!!!!
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 11:34:56 -0400

Norman Dulaney wrote:

> yes it is a lie but 366 is good and you want even see a diffence between 366
> and 400 so be happy with it . I am sure you have been lied to before!

Indeed, but that doesn't make it right.  They sold and charged me for a 400mhz
machine.  I spent hours on the phone with their tech. support in order to
prevent something like this from happening.  There were also several HP press
releases concerning the new 400mhz chip.

Lies are bad ... just like poorly written operating systems.

DT
--
David Topper
Technical Director - Virginia Center for Computer Music

------------------------------

From: "David J. Topper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.intel
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 11:32:52 -0400

"Stuart R. Fuller" wrote:

> : Isn't that false advertising?  Isn't that illegal?  Do I (we) have a
> : case?  What's the deal?
>
> Calm down and get a life.

I have a great life, thanks.  But if it's ok with you, I'll calm down when I
feel it's appropriate.  Corporate entities acting out of line is, I think, an
implicit vice Linux stands against.  At least that's true for some of us.

Your valuable input is appreciated though.

DT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Ulrick)
Subject: Resetting the SCSI bus
Date: 20 Jul 1999 16:15:37 GMT

I'm running Linux 2.0.34 with excellent results.  It is a very stable
system indeed!

Unfortunately, my local power company is not quite so stable.  Just
the other day we had two outages which lasted only a few seconds, but
they were long enough to knock off the part of my computer system that
isn't on a UPS.  I have the computer and monitor on the UPS.  The
computer is a Pentium II with 128MB RAM, and contains a Adaptec 2940U
SCSI adapter and an internal Exabyte 2501c SCSI tape drive.  On the
other hand, the printer (HP Laserjet 6L) and scanner (HP Scanjet
6200C) are on a surge protector.  The scanner is connected to the
2940U's external SCSI connector.  The tape drive and printer are the
only devices on the SCSI chain; my two 1 GB hard drives are EIDE.

Therein lies my problem:  thanks to the UPS, my computer makes it
through these outages fine, but the scanner goes offline, thus leaving
the SCSI bus in an uncertain state.  Powering the scanner off and on
fails to bring it back online.  In fact, any attempt to access the
scanner *or* tape drive results in an unkillable process that even
'kill -9' cannot kill.

I've found that it's possible to 'rmmod' and 'insmod' the aic7xxx SCSI
driver if no processes are using it.  Doing this effectively resets
the SCSI bus, but Very Bad Things happen if a process that had
previously used a SCSI device but is not currently using it decides to
use the device again, so I have to be very careful when using this
approach.  I'd have to say that the only 100% safe way I've found to
recover from this problem is to reboot.  :-(

Now, my questions:

1.  Is there a clean, safe way short of a reboot to convince the
aic7xxx SCSI driver to reset the SCSI bus?

2.  Failing a software solution, would I be foolish to hang the
scanner off the same UPS as my computer and monitor (the scanner is
asleep 99.44% of the time), or would I be best off by investing in a
second UPS for my peripherals?

3.  How do *you* recover from a hung SCSI device?

Other than this, Linux 2.0.34 is working very well for me, so I'd
rather not upgrade to 2.2.x right now (although I'd upgrade to a later
2.0.x if that would help).  Therefore, I'm looking for a solution that
will work with 2.0.x.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave Ulrick, Systems Programmer                 Internet:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL, USA

------------------------------

From: Jeffrey Chok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does anybody know if Creative Labs 2xAGP 3D Graphics Blaster Riva
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 22:51:35 +0800

"Dr Aldo Medina [mx]" wrote:

> It's not specifically listed on Hardware HOWTO, but I know Linux
> supports several Creative Graphics Blaster, and at least on Diamond it
> supports the riva TNT chipset. Could anybody help me?. I'm deciding on
> buying this card or a Diamond Stealth Viper 330. Thanks

I'm currently using the PCI Creative RivaTNT @ 1280x1024 on XFree86
3.3.3.1.  This card is listed as RivaTNT in Xconfigurator so I guess
it's generic for TNT cards.

IMHO this is a great card.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:21:39 +0200
From: "Order SQL - books! (discount price!)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New & hot linux books at DISCOUNT

ATTENTION:  We just added lots of new books and sections. Try our linux
site where you will find the ideal linux book for you - as a beginner,
administrator, programmer..... . Most of the books are at discount
price(~ 20 % OFF)!!

CHECK it out here:
http://www.geocities.com/eureka/enterprises/6949/linux.htm

 This service is brought to you by Knoxi's WORLD(http://come.to/knoxis)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walter Dean)
Subject: pcmcia recommendations
Date: 20 Jul 1999 15:44:50 GMT

Excuse an otherwise niave question, but I'm starting from scratch :

Can anyone recommend a pcmcia ethernet card with a dependable driver which is likely
to be currently
avialable.  The only comprehensive information I can find online
(http://hyper.stanford.edu/pub/pcmcia/)
suggested that the drivers for the newer 3Com 10/100base T cards (i.e. the 3C574TX &
3ccFE574BT) have problems,
yet they are the only cards I have yet been able to locate through retail.  Please
note that, being a novice,
 I'm willing to settle for 10base T in exchange for support and easy of installation.

Thanks much.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: LS-120?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:41:37 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phillip McGregor) wrote:
> Anyone out there managed to install an LS-120 so it will mount under
> Linux? Any pointers (simple ones, please, I'm a Linux newbie :-) would
> be greatly appreciated!

You certainly can mount the disk, but I don't know about KDE
integration. You can do it manually as root using a command something
like:

mount -t vfat /dev/hdc /mnt

Basically Linux sees the drive as just another hard disk, which is
probably why KDE doesn't treat it as a floppy.

> Phil McGregor
> Phillip McGregor (Space Opera (FGU), Rigger Black Book (FASA)

Did you really design Space Opera? I played it a few times years ago, it
was a fun game.

    Mark

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dale Pontius)
Subject: Re: Epson Stylus Colour 440
Date: 20 Jul 1999 16:36:10 GMT

In article <7m4e1l$qup$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Duncan Grisby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> 21 per colour, and 64 for black, according to a pdf file I downloaded
> from Epson. It works fine if I change upOutputPins in stc.upp to 21. I
> haven't got around to trying 64 in mono mode.

I've been trying to figure out the ramifications of this, without
success. If your solution works, great. Figuring out how to micro-
weave with 21 pins will be a bear. I'm trying to work on some
documentation on the process, and including it with the stuff
that's available on Bert Haverkamp's Epson 740 page:
http://lcewww.et.tudelft.nl/~haver/linux/epson.html

You bring up an interesting point - I've never thought of trying
to do a mono mode with all the extra pins.

Dale Pontius
(NOT speaking for IBM)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (benjamin j snyder)
Subject: Re: Zip, Jazz, and Orbs.
Date: 19 Jul 1999 15:48:22 GMT

Since Jazz and Zip were mentioned in the subj I will assume they are options
for you as well (even though the message body didnt mention them).  I know
nothing about the orb drive - sorry - but, the ATAPI versions of the Zip work
great (is there an ATAPI Jazz?).  All you need to do to get the ATAPI Zip to
work is to compile with support for an ATAPI floppy drive (as well as the old-
school floppy as well if necessary).

Of course, the ATAPI's are not as fast as SCSI, but they are rather fast in
their own right.

--
Ben Snyder

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: X on Compaq Laptop
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:45:49 GMT

I have the same notebook with the same video
card. I have been LESS sucessful than you have in
trying to run XFree86. All I get is a huge screen
(not the virtual terminal) or a broken up screen
with the combinations I have tried. I am running
3.3.3.1-52 and not 3.3.3.1-49 (comes with RedHat
6.0). XFree86.org claims that this card is not
yet supported. However, for one moment I had
VGA16 working. Then I ran xvidtune, lost the
working configuration and have never got it back.
Could you please provide me with the options you
selected for Xconfigurator. Or better yet, send
me a copy of XF86Config?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.digest,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Printer error in RH5.2 (Canon BJC-4100)
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:14:05 GMT

> Try deleting the  bitsperpixel  line in
/var/spool/lpd/lp/postscript.cfg.
> That worked for me.    I think this bug in the driver was fixed in
RedHat
> 6.0.

Thanks for the reply,

Actually, I was missing all the gs options in postscript.cfg. I have set
bitsperpixel=1 and BW pages print OK with 360X360 resolution. (my
printer is Canon BJC4100)

-murli

From: The Mitochondrion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux and midi on a notebook
Date: 20 Jul 1999 14:01:14 -0400

I need to get external midi working under linux on a *notebook*
computer.  It seems like the way to go is to use some sort of
serial/midi interface, but I dont really know anything about the
subject.

Is there anyone out there who is using a laptop with linux to use midi
to control (and be controlled by) external devices?  If so, please let
me know what hardware and software you are using, and whether or not
you had to do anything funny to get it all working.

Please reply by email as well as to the list.

Thanks in advance,
Greg

------------------------------

From: EKK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Q] 440BX/GX/LX and others
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 08:23:42 -0700

Robert J. Sprawls wrote:

> Hello,
>
>        I read on www.linux.org that SuperMicro supports Linux well. I
> went to their site and was reading about the MBs and saw that they
> have varying chipsets. Is there a real difference between the BX, GX,
> LX and any other chipsets? I'm doing some research for a future
> machine purchase.

I think BX=100MHz bus speed,  LX=66MHz bus speed,

would like to know what GX has though....
(maybe supports IDE ext. transfer rate 66Mbps???)

AG

From: Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MSI 5169 and K6-2/450
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:58:39 GMT

I don't know anything about the 450s, but my 300 (bought just as the 300
MHz K6-2's came out) runs a lot cooler than any other chip that I've had
except for my Apple IIC.  I've got a monster heat sinc on it, since that
was what was recomended, but it runs just find with a little dinky 486
style heat sinc and no fan.
        Greg

--
It's pronounced "sexy" not "scuzzy"!

From: Sinner from the Prairy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Cant get Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI to work
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 20:08:21 +0200

Lev Babiev wrote:

> >  Alot of ppl swear by this card(thats why I bought it), but it doesnt
> > configure too well under linux.

Tell that to me :/

> > Under Win98 its  irq=11 I/O=220 DMA=1
> > of course it works great under windoze :/

Let's say it works decently...

> > this is what it looks like under /proc/pci

> > #PCI devices found:  Bus  0, device  10, function  0:
> > #    Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq Unknown device (rev 6).
> > #      Vendor id=1274.  Device id=1371.      Slow devsel.  IRQ 11.  Master

> What gave you an idea that AudioPCI is hardware compatible with
> soundblaster? ;-)
> Actually the soundblaster is emulated by the very windows driver afaik.
> You have
> to compile kernel with support for es1370 or es1371. I'm not sure if
> 2.0.37 has it
> (but my guess is not). 2.2.x series have it, also ALSA has support for
> it. I am
> using ALSA with 2.3.6 kernel - works like a charm.

Well, I'm with a 2.2.7 kernel and I've included the es1370 module (my
PCI64 has the 1370 chip) ... but it doesn't play anything.

How should I make it work? I know how to proceed with ISA cards, but I'm
pretty lost with PCI cards. I've read that they get autoconfigured (PCI
P'n'P) but no way!!

Any idea? Any hint?

Also, Lev, where can I find a decent explanation on how to makw it work
the ALSA drivers? I've been to their web but I get a little lost. Maybe
my english's not enough good?  (I'm from Barcelona) What ALSA driver
version are you using? Is it compatible with kernels 2.2.X or only 2.3.X
?

I'll appreciate any help.

Here at comp.os.linux.hardware or at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>     - Lev

Sinner

--
...I've already seen STAR WARS I: The Phantom Menace...
[MaDuiXa PoWeR] http://www.maduixa.8m.com

------------------------------

From: Dan Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mount 2nd CDROM
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 12:37:08 -0400

I need help mounting my 2nd cdrom (cd-burner-internal). Any help would
be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

------------------------------

From: EKK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for good *sounding* sound card
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 08:28:38 -0700

Deryk Barker wrote:

> I'm looking for a sound card which has good s/n and also does better
> than adequate digitisation - I have old analogue tapes I want to
> transfer to CD.
>
> The Turtle Beach Fiji has been suggested as fitting the bill - except
> that it seems to be in the unsupported category in the sound HOWTO.
>
> Does anyone have either definitive evidence that the TB Fiji works or
> another suggestion for a quality sound card.
> --
> |Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be understood|
> |Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be listened to.           |
> |email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]         |                                     |
> |phone: +1 250 370 4452               |         Hermann Scherchen.          |

I think I remember seeing the Fiji under one of the sound module options
within kernel 2.2.10.

..........don't know how to configure it though.

AG

From: "Vikram" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: US Robotics Modem ?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:01:15 +0530

How do I configure my 33.6 US Robotics Sportster Voice under Red Hat Linux
6.0

Vikram

------------------------------

From: chausson aux pommes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pb whith GPM and MC
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 19:34:55 +0200

Well, after installing imwheel, midnight commandeur works no more:
[root@localhost /root]# mc
mc: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/lib/libgpm.so.1: undefined symbol: stdscr

I think it's a problem with gpm
I don't now what type of problem it is, in which doc i have to search.
Please help.

--
e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: EKK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mount 2nd CDROM
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 07:48:28 -0700

Dan Anderson wrote:

> I need help mounting my 2nd cdrom (cd-burner-internal). Any help would
> be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

maybe try an /sbin/fdisk -l to see if it shows up.

also dmesg|more might help.

AG

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Windrover Notebooks running Linux?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:36:50 -0700

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Winrover...the name is so offensive I'd pass on it.  I recently
>> bought a Fujitsu e340 from pcconnections.com for ~$1600 and am
>> very happy with it.
> I was looking at purchasing a laptop and was wondering why you had such
> harsh feelings towards Windrovers. Have you had a personal experience
> or do you know people who have...?

No, I was just making a joke b/c of the name--"Win" and all.  You may want
to have a look at the Linux Laptop Page to see if anyone has written
about their experiences with it though:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

Sorry about that,
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Will a modem on a USB port work with Linux?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:03:14 GMT

Actually, the answer is, not unless you write the driver yourself.  :)
The USB support for Linux is still very expeirmental, and there are
almost no device specific devices last time I checked.
       Greg

--
It's pronounced "sexy" not "scuzzy"!

From: Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:05:06 GMT

Is it SCSI or IDE?  What is your first CD-ROM name (/dev/something).
We've got to have a little info to help you...
      Greg

--
It's pronounced "sexy" not "scuzzy"!

From: "Allix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Anyone Get The CMI8330 Working ?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:47:49 -0400

If you have the CMI8330 sound card and have got it working under linux
please emial me. Any help at all will be greatly approciated.