  Re: missing RAM ("Dr. Francisco V. Santacruz S.")

From: Jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: SBLive under smb kernel
Date: 21 Jul 1999 17:31:11 GMT

Hello,
I am running RedHat linux under kernel 2.2.5-15smp but cannot get my sblive
to work.

I have tried forcing the module to load in rc.local (insmod soundcore;
insmod emu10k1) but dont seem to get any sound.

I have also tried putting the relative information in conf.modules
but i keep getting kernel version errors on boot. Is there any way i can
force my sblive value to work ? Can i edit the kernel version that the
module seeks for ? Where would i do that (i have had a brief look at the
module in a hex editor but am still clueless).

Thanks,
Jason

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to change the time?
Date: 21 Jul 1999 04:57:17 -0700

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:35:43 -0500, Trung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>2/ How to change the time? I have the time correct in Win98 & NT but not
>in Linux

"not correct" could mean anything.  Is it off by a fixed number of
hours?  Is it totally random looking?  Or something in between?

If it's off by a certain number of hours, check your timezone
settings.  Since you said RH, the command would be (IIRC)
"timeconfig".

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Subject: Re: Why Build Box?
Date: 21 Jul 1999 17:36:58 GMT

On 21 Jul 1999 11:34:06 -0500, John Doe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Who asks you to buy from any vendor?  You buy from linux vendors.

No, I'm afraid that given my knowledge of PC hardware, it is MUCH more
cost effective to purchase separate components and build myself.  If you
want to claim that a pre-built PC is more stable or somehow better than my
DIY machines, I'll put any of the workstations and servers I've built up
against the most expensive from Compaq, Dell, etc. for performance,
compatibility and reliability.

>But if I am making $100/hr
>
>I WOULD BUY A QUAD XEON WORKSTATION FROM VA-LINUX and HIRE A
>PROFESSIONAL TO DO EVERY THING FOR ME.

Even when money isn't a problem, why waste it unnecessarily?  Contrary to
popular believe, the grass isn't always greener...

Mike.

  Mike Frisch                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

From: "Andrew Liam McNeil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Looking For 66MHz PCI Platform.
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 13:58:17 -0400

Anyone out there know where I can get a PC that uses a 66MHz PCI. I have
been told that Linux is the only O/S that currently supports a 66MHz PCI
bus.

Thx in advance,
-- Liam

------------------------------

From: Peter Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Card Problem
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 19:26:05 +0100

Greg H wrote:

> Scott Rainaldo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Maybe you should try a different kernel.  I am running RH 6.0 / 2.2.5-15
> > kernel and my card is working (at least partially).  I can listen to mp3s
> > and certain wav files but not midis for some reason (does anyone know what
> > may be causing this?).  Anyways, I hope this helps.
>
>    From what I understand, there is no support for MIDI in Linux with the
> AudioPCI soundcard.  I am not 100% sure, though.
>
>    Greg H.
>
> --
> ROT-13 encoded email address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Softoss in the oss options should work.

                        Peter Allen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Ripton)
Subject: Re: redhat 6.0 disk problems and UDMA
Date: 21 Jul 1999 18:43:57 GMT

Jonathan Wilson  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am having problems with occasional filesystem corruption on redhat 6.0
>(kernel 2.2.5) and am getting the message
>
>hda: write_intr: status=0x71 { DriveReady DeviceFault SeekComplete Error }
>hda: write_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBAsect=81996, sector=81933
>
>written into the logs
>
>I have tried using badblocks (in read and read-write mode) and reformatting
>the disk as a DOS partition and running SCANDISK in order to locate bad
>sectors and none could be found.
>
>Filestore corruption was confirmed as a result of checking the partitions
>with e2fsck.

That sucks.  I've seen DMA errors a few times on a Quantum Fireball TM
drive, but they were always minor timing things that worked on a retry.
(I turned off DMA mode anyway for that drive, just in case.)

>I now fear that the cause of this problem is the way that the kernel is
>working with the configuration of hardware that I have
>
>The hard drive is a Fujitsu MPD3043AT connected to a PIIX4 controller
>(processor PII350 on an QDI-P6I440BX BrillianX motherboard) as detected by
>the kernel on booting
>
>PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
>PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
>    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
>hda: FUJITSU MPD3043AT, ATA DISK drive
>hdc: BCD-48SB CD-ROM, ATAPI CDROM drive
>ide2: ports already in use, skipping probe
>ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
>ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
>hda: FUJITSU MPD3043AT, 4125MB w/512kB Cache, CHS=525/255/63
>hdc: ATAPI 44X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache

I don't know if you've got a controller problem, a drive problem, or a
kernel bug here, but I'd revert to PIO mode.

>I would like to do a clean install of my system, bringing it into a stable
>state as far as possible and I am therefore looking for suggestions along
>the following lines...
>
>Should I ensure that the hard drive, cdrom and the controller run as legacy
>EIDE devices as opposed to UDMA. How can one tell ? Is it sufficient to
>disable UDMA access in the CMOS, or is there a boot prompt parameter I can
>use to achieve this?

I see a note in Documentation/ide.txt that says that Linux uses the BIOS
settings for UDMA, so setting the drive to PIO in the BIOS would probably
work.  And there's probably also a kernel parameter to force your drive
into PIO mode.  But if it were my drive, I'd recompile the kernel without
DMA support, just to be sure that the fix wouldn't be accidentally undone.
(Say no to "Use DMA by default when available" under block devices.)

>Would it be a better bet to use an older kernel such as 2.0.36 (I have a
>redhat 5.2 cd) since this doesn't appear to exploit UDMA and RAID, both are
>capable with my hardware ?

2.2 has a lot of benefits over 2.0 (both features and bug fixes), so I
wouldn't downgrade.  But it's an option.

--
David Ripton    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
spamgard(tm): To email me, put "geek" in your Subject line.

------------------------------

From: Peter Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: es1371
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 19:40:20 +0100

alessa & ricky wrote:

> I have the module loaded...why do I need to recompile the kernel??
>
> Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> >
> > Alan Fried wrote:

I have little experience with the alsa modules, but first:
You do not need to get the 4front drivers.  If you want the easy but
costly way out, buy them.  Second, you could load the modules
distributed with the 2.2.x kernel.  These should work ok.
Third, you could get the alsa drivers working. (Try this first.)
First, find or download the alsa faq. Read it. Follow the
instructions.  AFAIK alsa uses different devices.  I believe
they are in /dev/snd/* and the standard oss/free devices
are symlinks from these.  These need additional modules
to be loaded.  This is all in the FAQ.

                        Peter Allen

------------------------------

From: "William J. Chimiak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CS4280 Sound Chip problem
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 14:33:24 -0400

I can't configure the sound on an Etower Celeron computer with on-board
Crystal Scan CS4280:

I have an Etower Celeron computer with on-board Crystal Scan CS4280
chip.  I have played with numerous attempts with sndconfig and get the
old [driver].o busy problem which is usually cleared up when the correct

driver is chosen.  I am sure the problem is the CS4280 chip which is
supposedly SoundBlaster Pro compatible.

sndconfig makes the conf.modules read
alias sound sb
pre-install sound insmod sound dmabuf=1
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1
# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
uart401                 5968   0
sound                  57208   0  [uart401]
soundlow                 300   0  [sound]
soundcore               2372   3  [sound]
3c509                   5812   1  (autoclean)
nls_iso8859-1           2020   1  (autoclean)
nls_cp437               3548   1  (autoclean)
vfat                   11516   1  (autoclean)
fat                    25664   1  (autoclean) [vfat]
advansys               67248   2

/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/sb.o
init_module: Device or resource busy  x
x sound: Device or resource bus

If I rmmod all of these sound modules and do a
# modprobe sound
/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/sb.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
sound: Device or resource busy

#I even tried the
alias sound ad1848
pre-install sound insmod sound dmabuf=1
options ad1848 io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=1
in the conf.modules.

--
Bill Chimiak                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Peter Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: soundblaster
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 19:48:18 +0100

Holczhammer Mark wrote:

> My X have no voice. No pritty, piing, zoom, badaboum, or anything else.
>
> How can I set it up?
>
> Have anything for soundcards like gmpconfig for mouse under lovely Linux?
>
> squake have no sound too. :-(
>
> Any help can save the word :-)
>
> ps. have any program like soundforge (under MsW9x) for linux or wine can
>
> cooperate with soundforge?? 'Couse my young brother (age 25 :-) like to
>
> change win to linux absolutly, if he can solve this problem.

What soundcard do you have.  There are at least 1000 "soundblaster
compatible"
cards so no-one can give more than vague pointers without more info.
        Before posting again I should read the sound-howto and all the
relavant info you can find.

                        Peter Allen

------------------------------

From: Peter Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux compatible laser printer
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 19:44:08 +0100

akm76 wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm looking for advice on choosing the right laser printer for my linux box.
> What features should i look for, and which should i avoid?
> ( already got in trouble getting "softmodem" )
> Thanks

I must be missing something here, as I thought that laser pointers were
things
one held in ones hand and pointed at projector screens (or other targets
:-0)
Why does anyone need a laser pointer for there computer?

                        Peter Allen

------------------------------

From: Peter Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SoundBlaster PCI128
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 19:31:51 +0100

Jeffrey Chok wrote:

> Jose Santiago wrote:
> >
> > Anyone have any tips on getting the SoundBlaster PCI128 to work under
> > Linux without having to pay for the OSS drivers?
> >

> Another alternative is ALSA which is GPL
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/
>
> BTW, how is this card?  I'm thinking of getting a new soundcard for
> Linux use.  Does it use the ES1370/1371 chip or something newer?
>
> /jeff

ES1371.  It is a reasonable card for the price.  It has four speaker
outs which is good, and on some cards one of the line outs can be
converted to a line in, giving two.  There is quite a bit
of unwanted noise, as it is not well protected from the inards of
a computer (in my experience.)  It also only has software midi,
which in general (IMHO) is bad.  If you have a fast processor
(>200mhz) you _probably_ won't notice this.  If you do a lot
of midi work, don't get it, as it will not be perfect.
(My recomendation, try and find an ensoniq soundscape instead.)

Hope that helps,

                        Peter Allen

------------------------------

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: my okidata okipage 6e printer won't print
Date: 21 Jul 1999 15:38:13 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> The OKIPAGE 6e printer supports PCL (The OKIPAGE 4w, 4wPlus, 6w and
> 8w printers are Windows only.)

Yes.  Note, however, that someone reverse-engineered the codes and has
produced a driver kit for the 4w.  It is unclear if any other *w
printers work with it; I'd guess not.

> If you get just a blinking LED, the probable reason is that it is
> not being set to PCL mode before sending the PCL data.  (The OKIPAGE
> 6e also supports 'Hiper-W' mode).  You can do that by adding the
> sequence "%-12345X@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE=PCL" at the start of the
> job, where the square character is an escape character (0x1b).

A fine tip; the article in Linux Today about this printer only
mentioned setting PCL from the control panel.

Apparently this PCL setting stays until someone sends a non-PCL job.
If you have no Windows clients printing at the 6e it should stay
happy.

For more information all the printers discussed here, see the
compatibility listings at the Printing HOWTO URL below.

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor@picante<dot>com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
 Cellphone information: http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/cell/

------------------------------

From: "William J. Chimiak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 6.0 does not recognize SCSI tape drive
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 14:46:53 -0400

Brian Hughes wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> This is driving me nuts.  I'm running RedHat 6.0 (2.2.5-15).  I just
> installed a AdvanSys ASB3940UA SCSI adapter and an HP SureStore DAT24.
> The machine can dual boot and all works under Windows NT Workstation
> 4.0.  I'm sure that I'm just doing something stupid, but the only thing
> that dmseg says about SCSI is:
>
> scsi : 0 hosts.
> scsi : detected total.
>
> When I do something like "mt -f /dev/st0 rewind", I'm rewarded with
> "/dev/st0: No such device."
>
> I've read the information on the AdvanSys CD, been to their Web site,
> same for HP, same for Red Hat all to no avail.  I'm sure that I'm
> missing something incredibly stupid, but I would greatly appreciate any
> help.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
> --
> Brian Hughes              mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Idaho State University     http://www.isu.edu/~hughbrial

look at your /etc/conf.modules
you should have something which turns on the advanSys scsi driver

alias scsi_hostadapter advansys

is what mine has and all SCSI stuff works.

From: Craig Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.robotics.misc
Subject: Re: 19in racks for PC motherboard, PCI, IDE etc.... needed
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 19:26:27 GMT

In article <7mv7ck$5m0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Mark Hamlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The time has come to rack some of the old and some of the new gear in
my
> studio.  What is the cheapest way to rack a PC.  Any links to vendors
or
> tutorials would be much appreciated.  (I have RS & Maplin!!!!!).
I'd like
> to know all my options, so far I know little.
>
> For £500 you can get a great specially built rack from RS, with
removable
> chassis for 2 3.5in IDE drives etc.  Near perfect solution but well
over
> budget.  For £500 I'd expect a lot more than that, hard core
temperature
> control or something!!!!!
>
> For £50 quid I can get a standard 19in unit enclosure.  I'll need
tools to
> work on it (acceptible as I need several).  Don't know how much work
each
> one would take.  Does anywhere sell generic accessories such as
mounts and
> drive cages to put in such a box??????
>
> Any help, direction or offers (old / unused kit) much appreciated.
>
> direct e-mail response much appreciated (cc).
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Try:

http://www.rackittechnology.com/

Best regards,

Craig Moore
Moore Computer Services

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: X on Compaq Laptop
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 19:01:06 GMT

I tried "vga=792"  in lilo.conf and got the penguin in text mode. I
still have problems running XFree86. Any way you can post the
XF86Config so I can get my Compaq Armada 1750 to work?
In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Andrew Habgood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Its really simple (when you know how ;) )
> Just edit the /etc/lilo.conf and add the line "vga=792" after the
> "label=Linux" line. Run Lilo.  When you reboot, you should see the
little
> penguin at the top of the screen. I have then run both the SVGA and
Mach64

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 18:48:35 GMT

Clean your glasses, Peter, and re-read the question  ;-)  .

He asked about a laser *printer*

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 19:44:08 +0100, Peter Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>akm76 wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I'm looking for advice on choosing the right laser printer for my linux box.
>> What features should i look for, and which should i avoid?
>> ( already got in trouble getting "softmodem" )
>> Thanks
>
>I must be missing something here, as I thought that laser pointers were
>things
>one held in ones hand and pointed at projector screens (or other targets
>:-0)
>Why does anyone need a laser pointer for there computer?
>
>                       Peter Allen

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Integration Solutions Architecture
Toronto Dominion Bank

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "Fred A. Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: tape backup device under Linux
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 15:24:03 -0500

Tomasz Korycki wrote:

> Matthew Hixson wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a tape backup device for use under Linux?  This is
> > to go into a machine with an ASUS P2B-DS motherboard (supports SCSI).
> > The machine is currently running kernel 2.2.6, but I can upgrade it if
> > necessary.
> >   Any adivce is welcomed.
> >   -M@
>
> I've used all kinds of SCSI tapes, from Archive Viper (QIC6150) through
> all kinds of DAT (mostly Archive and HP), to (now) IBM-branded Exabyte
> Mammoth. Obviously, I know think Exabyte is the best of them, especially
> on 170m AME media: quite often when I cut the tape, it spends about 20%
> time waiting _for _ the drive, not the other way'round. It's a fast-wide
> SCSI, too, so You won't slow Your bus down, either. And, on average, I
> manage to squeeze 35-38GB per cartridge.

For about the same money as an Exabyte, you can buy a Quantum DLT-7000,
which will hold compressed 70GB.  The DLT tapes are cheaper and MUCH
more reliable, IMHO.

Fred

--
----/ /  _                   Fred A. Miller
---/ /  (_)__  __ ____  __   Systems Administrator

From: "Dr. Francisco V. Santacruz S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: missing RAM
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 14:00:06 -0300

Have you tried mem option in Lilo. AFAIK linux does not recognize memory
above 64 Mbytes.

Hope this help.