From: "Aaron Hochwimmer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SB16 VibraX
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:34:23 +1200

Hi,

I found you can compile the sound in for a monolithic kernel by setting the
8 bit and 16 bit dma settings both to 1 (refer make xconfig sound section).
I don't know if this is a hack or not but it seems to work well

You'll have an error reported at bootup about a bad or missing dma channel
but ignoring that(!) you should now be able to play 16 bit sound with the
ISA Creative 16 PNP. I did this with RedHat 5.1,5.2 and now 6.0.

Aaron

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: what machine to run linux?
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 21:55:01 GMT

I am thinking installing linux to my PC, is that a good idea? Or it is
better to have a separate system for it, since the machines are so
cheap these days? And does anyone know how fast the machine has to be
to run linux? Can it be run in a MAC too?

Thanks,
Dan

From: wizard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Build Box?
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 17:41:57 -0400

Markus Wandel wrote:

> In article <7n4dan$ceq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I can't figure out why so many people seem to be building a computer
> >just for linux.  If your not using it for a server of some kind; is
> >there any reason to have a separate box?
>
> I can't figure out why so many people seem to be building a computer
> just for Windows.  If you're not using it to run some sort of commercial
> application or games, is there any reason to have a separate box?
>
> Seriously, to some of us Linux isn't some weird toy to dual-boot sometimes,
> it's the primary OS.  In my case, because I like to program and because
> I want more from a command-line shell than "DOS legacy compatiblity."
>
> Markus

After reading through this thread I think the one thing people miss is the
issue of repairability & upgradability.    Lets face it your much more likly
to find a new and improved ATX board next year than just about any other form
factor except for possible VME.    With this in mind you can keep the total
cost of your systems reasonable over time.

I would most certainly go for a prebuilt system if it meets my
requirements.     The funny thing is my requirements aren't all that
stiff.     For example an ASUS P2B Dual with 2 466 MHz Celerons, the latest
Matrox video card, 128 meg of Ram, and a very good quality case.    The
reality is that almost no one advertises such a beast, so it best to build
your own.    Funny thing is I go down to the local PC supplier that handles
only ASUS and do business with him.    Its not always a question of price but
getting what you want.

Dave

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 23:31:29 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: missing RAM

Anthony Ewell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an MSI ms-6120 without scsi motherboard with 128 Meg
> of ECC-SDRAM (one stick).
>
> My hard drive is constantly singing and the computer is
> MIND NUMBINGLY SLOW.   It also has a dual boot to nt server and
> nt is very fast and very stable (go figure).

<snip>
> The cache is the correct size (~120 MB).  What is with the 14440 kB?
> That
> would explain my hard drive singing!  Where did the rest of the
> 110,000 KB go to?

What version of the linux kernel are you running?
If 2.0.x, then this is a common problem and you should insert the
following line in your /etc/lilo.conf, then rerun lilo:
append="mem=128M"
If 2.2.x, then this is an uncommon problem and <...see above...>

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                    http://marc.mutz.com/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's:   0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)

------------------------------

From: "Jonathan S. Keim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Filesystem Display
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 17:00:38 -0400

hi,
i'm currently trying to reconstruct the trail of an unauthorized user of
one of my computers.  can anyone tell me where to look for a program
that would give me a complete listing of inodes
modified/accessed/created?
much thanks,
jon

------------------------------

From: Guy Corbaz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Keaybord problem
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 22:12:58 +0200

==============6D9E5E24DE89B97C36B48516

I just installed SUSE 6.1 with kernel 2.0.36, and I have some strange
problems: sometime, keyboard and mous eget blocked. To fix the problem,
I have to rebott 2 or 3 time the PC (via a telnet session), and
everything works fine again.

Similar problem happend with X. When I stop and restart the X server
(startx), no more mouse and keayboard, and I have to reboot the PC
several time until the problem is fixed.

I tries with kerner 2.0.36 and 2.2.5, and the problem is the same.
However, this problem do not appear with RedHat.

Is there a parameter to adjust somewhere ?

Does anybody have an idea ?

Best regards, Guy Corbaz

==============6D9E5E24DE89B97C36B48516

begin:vcard
n:Corbaz;Guy
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:;-1
fn:Guy Corbaz
end:vcard

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 23:23:01 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: SBLive under smb kernel

Jason wrote:

> Hello,
> I am running RedHat linux under kernel 2.2.5-15smp but cannot get my sblive
> to work.
>
> I have tried forcing the module to load in rc.local (insmod soundcore;
> insmod emu10k1) but dont seem to get any sound.
>
> I have also tried putting the relative information in conf.modules
> but i keep getting kernel version errors on boot. Is there any way i can
> force my sblive value to work ? Can i edit the kernel version that the
> module seeks for ? Where would i do that (i have had a brief look at the
> module in a hex editor but am still clueless).

Modules must be compiled for SMP to work with SMP kernels. Now go to
creative and tell them you want their crap binary only driver compiled
for SMP. Have fun !

Marc

PS: Even if they wanted to compile one for you, I reckon they'd be not
able to do that, because their source code is like spaghetti or so and
the single developer that tries to make things work has never thought of
SMP nor has a system to test :-( Murphy's Law.

PPS: I wanted to buy a SB Live myself. But with that *+# of a driver
they hacked together after half a year now, I'd rather go with another
brand (although I'll miss the S/PDIF's).

From: "Nick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USR 33.6 modem setup
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 15:00:28 -0700

I know that windows 95/98 can have problems dealing with the software flow
control of a USR modem.  What is the best way to set up such a modem using
Linux to avoid these problems?

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jul 99 14:26:11 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux/KDE; KDat backup on dat tape proggy
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.arch.storage

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to William B.;

 WBC> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>
>> Unrot13 this;
>> Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>> Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Marc SCHAEFER;
>>
>>  MS> In comp.arch.storage Gene Heskett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>  MS>: Did that, also tried /dev/tape, a softlink to nst0.  Its reported by
>>
>>  MS> If mt -f /dev/nst0 status shows a drive and a tape in the drive,
>>  MS> are you running that command as the same user as kdat ?
>>
>>  MS> If not, try
>>  MS>    chmod 666 /dev/nst0
>>  MS> just for a test.
>>
>> Did that, no change.  kdat never touches the scsi bus, just opens a
>> small window and reports "no tape in drive".  There wasn't this time, but
>> since it never touched the bus, I have no idea how it could know. Neither
>> dmesg, nor /var/log/mesages contains any error messages from numerous
>> attepts to mount the drive/tape.
>>
>> Next? :)

 WBC> I had the same problem, in that logged as myself I couldn't
 WBC> see a tape in the tape drive through kdat.  If I su to root
 WBC> then run kdat everything's cool.

I've seen that theory too, Bill.  But, I'm logged in as root...

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III
                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

From: Christopher Suleske <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: SCSI Tape setup under RH 4.2 (Biltmore)
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 18:33:15 -0400

Wow, here's one for you:

I have added a SCSI tape drive (DDS3 device) to a system and wish to
make a system backup before going to 6.0.  During boot, I see the unit
verified during SCSI bus initialization, but linux doesn't detect it as
/dev/st0.

How can I make the device for this unit?

TIA; reply by email if you can.

<C>

------------------------------

From: "Allix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Configuring Satellite Modem
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 18:16:31 -0400

I just got the Express Vu satellite service and they say in march they will
be introducing internet access through their satellite. Has anyone
configured, either a cable modem or satellite modem , (or any high speed
internet access) on a linux box ? Please email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry Ozarow)
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 21:27:26 GMT

In article <7n504v$lus$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hello,
> I am running RedHat linux under kernel 2.2.5-15smp but cannot get my sblive
> to work.
>
> I have tried forcing the module to load in rc.local (insmod soundcore;
> insmod emu10k1) but dont seem to get any sound.
>
> I have also tried putting the relative information in conf.modules
> but i keep getting kernel version errors on boot. Is there any way i can
> force my sblive value to work ? Can i edit the kernel version that the
> module seeks for ? Where would i do that (i have had a brief look at the
> module in a hex editor but am still clueless).
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

>                   http://www.searchlinux.com

Creative explicitly states that the driver will not work with an SMP
kernel. This is more than just a matter of hex-editing in some
version information.

Larry

------------------------------

From: Mike Angelo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux driver site...
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 18:03:53 -0400

There is a Linux new site at www.linux-driver.com. Please visit it and send
us
suggestions, comments, drivers, and any other pertinent Linux information
that
you may have to us. We want to keep this a community page and always invite
your input.

Thanks...

From: Mike DuFresne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: filesystem corruption >14days uptime
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 13:02:55 -0500

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> In article <7n4dtu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Dxx-Richard_T_Myers(0)0 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >  http://lwn.net/1999/0624/a/ac-corruption1.html
>
> No. The original poster mentioned that the problem has been around even
> in the 2.0.x series. It's almost certainly a hardware problem (RAM
> corruption, disk cables too long, whatever), _or_ there is some really
> subtle bug with a specific driver for his hardware that has been around
> forever (unlikely).
>
>                 Linus

I can buy the HW problem myself as I have had the BusLogic card for a
while, but as I generally do small upgrades over a period of time, I may
have introduced another piece of HW in the interim that is causing the
problem. In this instance, since originally installing the BusLogic on a
Shuttle HOT-603, I have upgraded the Motherboard, CPU, RAM, CD-ROM,
video, and memory (not in that specific order)

Basically, that is why I listed all of the HW I have installed in the
hopes that someone would have keyed into one of the devices I installed.

I suppose that I could remove various pieces one at a time until I made
my system stable, but I can see that process taking months. In general,
I do try and buy HW that has a good reputation for quality. I am not
currently overclocking any of the devices in this setup, but I was
overclocking with a previous motherboard (a K6-266/Shuttle combiation).
At the time I did not have any problems with the filesystem (with the
buslogic and only the IBM drive and a Plextor CD-ROM)

Would anyone care to venture a guess or perhaps suggest the correct
method for eliminating various devices? I will likely start with the
less expensive pieces and work my way up. ie: replace the SCSI cable and
buy some namebrand ram.

Thanks,

Mike DuFresne

------------------------------

From: Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: RAID controler?
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 22:52:39 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I need to build a rather "beefy" server for linux.  I'm looking
about a
> > P-II 350 (possibly faster), 256 megs of ram, probably about 18gigs
of
> > drive space.  I would prefer if the hard drive was a Hardware RAID 5
> > array.  Can somebody recomend which controllers are best supported
under
> > linux?  Maybe the HP controlers, or the Adaptec AAA-131 SA?  Thanks,
> >      Greg
>
> RAID 5 performance is not very good until you have at least 4
spindles,
> so a total of 18GB doesn't make much sense.  If you use older  2 or
4GB
> drives, performance will not be good [by today's standards] due to
> slower access time.
>
> For small spindle counts, RAID1 or RAID0+1 is a significantly better
> performer than RAID5.

RAID 1 shouldn't have any performance benefits over a RAID 5 on a three
disk config, since it's just mirroring data, unless I'm wrong.  However,
the main thing that I need is data redundancy, and hot swap capability.
The LC3 only has three internal hot swap drive bays, and purchasing an
external chassis is very expensive.  I was really more interested in
finding out the best controlers to use with Linux, and any expierence
that people have had with them, and saving debates about which RAID
configuration is best for another thread.  :-)  Thanks,
        Greg

--
It's pronounced "sexy" not "scuzzy"!

From: "Scott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help: Voodoo3 installion Red Hat 6.0
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 12:22:01 -1000

Hi All,

I'm not having much success configuring Linux (Red Hat 6.0)
to work with my Vooodoo3 3000. The instructions at
this link (provided by 3DFX) have been the source of my
procedure.

http://glide.xxedgexx.com/3DfxRPMS_vb_glibc.html

I looked on Red Hat's site but saw no reference to Voodoo3,
just older Voodoo boards. Maybe I missed it ...

I installed the rpm's and then use Xconfigurator before starting the
X server  to setup the card/monitor and modes. It always defaults
to 320x240 when it starts, which means using XF86Setup is next
to impossible given the low screen resolution (buttons are not scaled
down and are inaccessible). Ctrl Alt + doesn't cycle through any
modes so I assume something is still misconfigured or installed
incorrectly.

I just want to get the 2d to work for now and I've wasted about 3 hours
on this already. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott