From: Mike Simos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Slow megaraid
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 03:20:33 GMT

Anthony Ewell wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I have a dual boot server (win nt server and red hat 6.0) with a AMI
> MegaRAID
> 466 card (16 mb cache and 128 meg ram) in raid 1.  (Dual PII-350)
>
>    Under NT, the computer is faster than greased lightening.
>
>    Under red hat 6.0, the computer is MIND NUMBINGLY SLOW.  The
> hard drives rattle ENDLESSLY.  (Remember this is the exact
> hardware - it is a dual boot.)  It especially hates netscape.

Try downloading the latest Linux driver at www.ami.com. When you
recompile the kernel try enabling CONCURRENT IO too. You might also want
to play with some of the BIOS settings, install.txt in the tarball has
the following:

3) Default configuration parameters(for new logical
   drive) are changed as follows for optimum
   performance in most of the cases
        StripeSize = 64KB               [ Earlier 8K ]
        No Readahead( Normal )          [ Earlier READ-AHEAD ]
        DirectIo                        [ Earlier CachedIo ]

Mike

------------------------------

From: "John W. Rose" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Hi I'm Bob...and I'm stupid... (tar & Taper-6.9a problems)
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 23:19:07 -0500

Howdy,

I compiled taper-6.9a on one of my rh60 boxes e/w
an HP Colorado IDE 7Gb (14Gb compressed) drive.
The drive is recognized as hdd->ht0, installed as the
secdondary|slave.

When I go through the ``Backup Module''  process and
select a directory for backup and choose ``finish'', Taper
runs through the tree and then responds with ``Cannot start
child process''. Retrying the backup, taper recognizes an existing
taper archive and allows an overwrite.

One thing - I don't knnow if this did anything - was to do an
erase of a tape and kill the process after about 30min.

I was able to use [mt -f /dev/ht0 retension] to retension the tape and
a [tar xvf /dev/ht0 /mnt/hda5] command to write the tape and
a [mt -f /dev/ht0 erase] to erase the tape.
A [tar cvf /dev/ht0 /mnt/temp_0] , before erasing. did nothing;
no response in a kvt terminal. A ^C got my root prompt back.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanx in advance,
JWR

PS: Yeah it works fine in Win95.....its a dual-boot box.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Doe)
Subject: Re: Why Build Box?
Date: 21 Jul 1999 23:32:46 -0500

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 19:12:37 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 21 Jul 1999 19:03:04 -0500, John Doe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I am starting a company called 'build your own computer'
>>
>>Basically I will let everyone choose *any* components they want
>>and I will send you all of the component plus a screw driver.
>>
>>How does that sound?  Any suggestions are welcome.
>
>       Hundreds have already beat you to it.

Maybe but that won't make me give up.  I know how these companies
work.  They lure you with $109 8.4 GB seagate and then charge you
$14 shipping fee.  I can do better *without* a huge inventory.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 21:33:51 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 8 ide drives and 1 scsi on abit bh6

I have a 7 EIDE system with ASUS P2B-F.  Also ran advansys SCSI driver
for Iomega jazjet with no problems (but not as a primary boot).  2.0.37.

Note the interleaving for U/33.  hde and hdg are a RAID0 pair, hdf and
hdh are used for video capture (OSR2.1).  The U/33 has two controller
channels that work independently even though they share 1 interrupt.
Simultaneous access read performance is almost double with interleave.
If on the same channel (hde+hdf) performance is 1/2.

[tim@asus tim]# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [2 raid0] [3 raid1]
read_ahead 8 sectors
md0 : active raid0 hde3 hdg3 5221120 blocks 16k chunks
md1 : inactive
md2 : inactive
md3 : inactive
[tim@asus tim]# hdparm -tT /dev/hd{e,g}3 /dev/md0

/dev/hde3:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   64 MB in  0.60 seconds =106.67 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  32 MB in  3.36 seconds = 9.52 MB/sec

/dev/hdg3:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   64 MB in  0.59 seconds =108.47 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  32 MB in  3.35 seconds = 9.55 MB/sec

/dev/md0:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   64 MB in  0.59 seconds =108.47 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  32 MB in  1.75 seconds =18.29 MB/sec

ide: Intel 82371 (single FIFO) DMA Bus Mastering IDE
    Controller on PCI bus 0 function 33
ide: timings == a307e377
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd800-0xd807
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd808-0xd80f
ide: PDC20246 UDMA Bus Mastering
    Controller on PCI bus 0 function 80
ide: timings == 000003ee
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0xa400-0xa407
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0xa408-0xa40f
hda: Maxtor 88400D8, 8011MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=1021/255/63, UDMA
hdb: ASUS CD-S340, ATAPI CDROM drive
hdc: YAMAHA CRW4416E, ATAPI CDROM drive
hde: IBM-DHEA-36481, 6197MB w/472kB Cache, CHS=12592/16/63, UDMA
hdf: IBM-DTTA-371440, 13783MB w/462kB Cache, CHS=28005/16/63, UDMA
hdg: IBM-DHEA-36481, 6197MB w/472kB Cache, CHS=12592/16/63, UDMA
hdh: IBM-DTTA-371440, 13783MB w/462kB Cache, CHS=28005/16/63, UDMA
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
ide2 at 0xb800-0xb807,0xb406 on irq 3
ide3 at 0xb000-0xb007,0xa806 on irq 3 (shared with ide2)

--
timothymoore    "Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
bigfoot                                            WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Fargher)
Subject: Re: Building a Linux Box - comments?
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 18:18:00 -0700

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999 19:45:40 -0700, Mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > Modem         - Zoom Model #2919                 ~$ 60
>>
>> Oh man.  You do not want to use a zoom modem.  I ran an ISP for a while
>> and about 75% of our customer's modem troubles were with zoom modems.
>> Any other non winmodem would be a better choice.
>
>Thanks for pointing that out, I picked the Zoom because it appears to
>contain a DSP chip (made by lucent) that is recommended in the RedHat
>hardware list. Does any one have recommendations for a non-winmodem?

  Actually, yeah.  A Zoom 2919. :-)   I have one and it works fine in both
Linux and OS/2. It's a PnP modem but you can disable PnP via a jumper.  I
haven't yet used its FAX mode though.

 I bought the Zoomer when my USR Courier V.everything bit the dust.  It was
fairly inexpensive and I didn't want to put out a lot of money as I expected
to be switching to either cable or ADSL access fairly soon.  That was last
November.  It's worked just fine for me ever since. Once I do switch to
cable/ADSL, the Zoomer will be for faxing.

  Back in the days of BBSing, Zoom were junk modems.  But modem technology is
a mature technology now and they're pretty much a commodity item now, as long
as one avoids the brain-dead Winmodems.

  How long are you planning on keeping this system, BTW?  The Zoom is an
internal ISA modem.  The current trend is to kill off ISA; you might not be
able to use it with your next motherboard.  If that is a consideration, you
might be better served with an external USR Sportster.

Cheers,
Rob

------------------------------

From: Tomasz Korycki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tape backup device under Linux
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:43:20 GMT

"Fred A. Miller" wrote:

> Tomasz Korycki wrote:
> >
> > Matthew Hixson wrote:
> > >
> > > Can anyone recommend a tape backup device for use under Linux?  This is
> > > to go into a machine with an ASUS P2B-DS motherboard (supports SCSI).
> > > The machine is currently running kernel 2.2.6, but I can upgrade it if
> > > necessary.
> > >   Any adivce is welcomed.
> > >   -M@
> >
> > I've used all kinds of SCSI tapes, from Archive Viper (QIC6150) through
> > all kinds of DAT (mostly Archive and HP), to (now) IBM-branded Exabyte
> > Mammoth. Obviously, I know think Exabyte is the best of them, especially
> > on 170m AME media: quite often when I cut the tape, it spends about 20%
> > time waiting _for _ the drive, not the other way'round. It's a fast-wide
> > SCSI, too, so You won't slow Your bus down, either. And, on average, I
> > manage to squeeze 35-38GB per cartridge.
>
> For about the same money as an Exabyte, you can buy a Quantum DLT-7000,
> which will hold compressed 70GB.  The DLT tapes are cheaper and MUCH
> more reliable, IMHO.

Hmmmm...  Yes. I distrust DLT, though, after some _very_ bad
experiences. Mind You, that was some 2 years ago.... I find it hard to
change, though. In addition, I have the same tape drive in my IBM F50,
Digital, SGI and HP machines. That provides me with a certain
flexibility. Whatever else I tried, it didn't work reliably in at least
one of them.
  I have to agree, though, that for a single machine, that is not a
consideration. And my (~2 yrs old) experience is likely of no value now.
  If somebody is not scared of newness, one might want to try AIT, too.
Damn fast acess.......

------------------------------

From: "Prasanth Kumar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Syquest ez135
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 03:50:33 GMT

Yes, I have an ide EZ135. It looks like a normal ide drive as far as the
kernel is concerned. For
parallel port EZ135s, I think you need to enable the paride driver module.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: William Park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: compaq monitor V50
Date: 22 Jul 1999 04:05:17 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Peter De Zutter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> can anyone give the horizontal and vertical refresh rates of this monitor,
> and all the tech spec. also
>
> THX
> Peter

Try
    http://www.danbbs.dk/~monz/monitor-timings.html
    http://www.monitorworld.com/monitors_home.html
    http://www.griffintechnology.com/monitor.html
    http://hawks.ha.md.us/hardware/monitor.html

William

------------------------------

From: John Brashier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: what the hell is up with my mouse?
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 22:08:38 -0700

Ok. I tried mouseconfig repeatedly, and even in every possible option, I
cannot get my mouse to register. Everything was fine in linux, (redhat
5.2) until I did a reinstall, and now nothing... My mouse is pretty
vanilla, plugs into the port next to the keyboard. (not serial) I really
need help, this keeps xwindows from loading, too.

Thanks,
Brashier

------------------------------

From: "Sage Mage" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DVD and Linux
Date: 21 Jul 1999 22:06:34 PDT

Does anyone know what programs I can get to play DVDs under Linux.

I have Creative Labs 6X DVD with DxR3 decoder, SBlive, and Desktop Pro
Theater 5.1.

All those devices work fine under linux but I can't find software to run the
DVD in Linux (works fine with NT4.0 though).

Any help is appreciated,

SageMage

------------------------------

From: "TURBO1010" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: dhcpd
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 21:55:30 -0700

Anyone who uses DHCPD with dual nic's, can you tell me how you did it.  I
can't start the dhcpd server, it used to work with one card, now that I have
2, it won't work.  I only want dhcpd to assign addresses to eth1.

This is what I get right now when I try to start dhcpd

[root@comp1 juan]# Listening on Socket/eth1/192.168.1.0
Sending on   Socket/eth1/192.168.1.0
No subnet declaration for eth0 (209.203.123.110).
dhcpd: exiting.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Doe)
Date: 22 Jul 1999 00:23:58 -0500

On 22 Jul 1999 03:51:46 GMT, Mike Frisch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 21 Jul 1999 22:43:42 -0500, John Doe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Why can't you have any constructive comments?
>
>I added several in a previous followup.  Your arguments for purchasing a
>pre-built simply did not hold water and myself and several others were
>quick to point that out.  You then tried to make a joke of the whole
>thing.

Ok I admit I was a little sarcastic.  It is a free country; so  I should
not be against people building their own boxes.  It is not my money.
Feel free to spend it any way you want just don't to recommend it to other
people.  My conclusion is that those authors of those books 'build your
own pentium box and save a bundle' or similar are full of garbage.
I've been angry against those authors because when I add up the
cost I just don't see how to save a 'bundle' and tried to lash out at
people who are doing it for the fun of it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Doe)
Date: 22 Jul 1999 00:13:25 -0500

On 21 Jul 1999 17:36:58 GMT, Mike Frisch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 21 Jul 1999 11:34:06 -0500, John Doe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Who asks you to buy from any vendor?  You buy from linux vendors.
>
>No, I'm afraid that given my knowledge of PC hardware, it is MUCH more
>cost effective to purchase separate components and build myself.  If you
>want to claim that a pre-built PC is more stable or somehow better than my
>DIY machines, I'll put any of the workstations and servers I've built up
>against the most expensive from Compaq, Dell, etc. for performance,
>compatibility and reliability.

Wow!  If I were u I would start my company just to drive compaq and dell
out of business.  In fact every people who thinks I am wrong
should start their own companies.  Send your home made machines to
pc world.  After they've verified that your machines beat dell workstation
you will make a killing,  I see two alternative scenerios: none of your
machines beat dell or you will drive dell or compaq out of business.
Notice that I don't know which one will be the case but I know one of them
will be true.

>>But if I am making $100/hr
>>
>>I WOULD BUY A QUAD XEON WORKSTATION FROM VA-LINUX and HIRE A
>>PROFESSIONAL TO DO EVERY THING FOR ME.
>
>Even when money isn't a problem, why waste it unnecessarily?  Contrary to
>popular believe, the grass isn't always greener...

That was just an example.  I would not buy/build a new computer because
they depreciate like hell for the first year.

From: Chris Mauritz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 01:04:32 GMT

Mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> wizard wrote:
>
>> Not bad at all.    I would consider the ASUS P2B line of boards.    Do
>> realize also that Linux currently has little if any support for the P3
>> extended instructions.     Not knowing what you intend to do with the
>> machine I might reccomend that you go the dual Celeron route.    Abit has
>> just the board for this.     The reallity is that you will get much
>> better overall performance if you run multiple programs or servers.

> Dual Celerons would be great, I didn't realize how cheap they are. I
> will probably go with 2x Celeron 433 and the Abit BP6.

Not a bad plan.  BTW, you can get Celeron 466 chips for about US$140
these days.  Check www.pricewatch.com.  A pair of those is only slightly
more expensive than one PIII-450.

>> Personally I have used the Matrox line of video cards as the hardware is
>> excellent and the Xfree drivers very good.    I can't comment on the TNT
>> drivers as I have not used this card with Xfree, however if there is a
>> problem you could allways go the commercial route.

> The Matrox G400 is a very nice card. This is the card I actually want
> however it over 2x the cost of the TNT.

There also isn't an XFree server for the G400 yet.  A nice TNT2 card
is only a little over $100 these days.

Christopher Mauritz

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 21:43:58 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Epson stylus color 600 help

http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 21:40:04 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: third hd and slow boot

Post output from fdisk -l and dmesg where ide drives are setup.
Example:

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 21:34:49 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking For 66MHz PCI Platform.

Most everything with an Alpha chip.

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 22:38:57 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-RW & SCSI cards & Iomega Zip Plus

The ATAPI version (YAMAHA CRW4416E) also works great.

I got to beta test the Zip250 with an iomega jazjet (Advansys chipset)
controller.  Average read access for 'hdparm -tT /dev/sda?' was
1.75MB/s.  There were some weird fluctuations across the disk.  I split
the drive into six even partitions and got these results:

         hdparm -tT /dev/sda? (sec)
        -----------------------------
part    run 1   run 2   run 3   avg     mb/s    std dev
----    -----   -----   -----   -----   ----    -------
1       14.94   15.13   15.04   15.04   2.18    0.08
2       17.86   17.90   17.83   17.86   1.83    0.03
3       23.26   23.35   23.25   23.29   1.41    0.04
4       14.88   15.32   14.91   15.04   2.18    0.20
5       17.81   17.78   17.81   17.80   1.84    0.01
6       23.51   23.48   23.49   23.49   1.39    0.01
        -----   -----   -----   -----   ----
        18.71   18.83   18.72   18.75   1.75

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stan Barr)
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.robotics.misc,uk.adverts.computer,uk.adverts.other,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: 19in racks for PC motherboard, PCI, IDE etc.... needed
Date: 22 Jul 1999 06:04:06 GMT

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 13:57:57 +0100, Mark Hamlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The time has come to rack some of the old and some of the new gear in my
>studio.  What is the cheapest way to rack a PC.  Any links to vendors or
>tutorials would be much appreciated.  (I have RS & Maplin!!!!!).   I'd like
>to know all my options, so far I know little.
>
>For £500 you can get a great specially built rack from RS, with removable
>chassis for 2 3.5in IDE drives etc.  Near perfect solution but well over
>budget.  For £500 I'd expect a lot more than that, hard core temperature
>control or something!!!!!
>
>For £50 quid I can get a standard 19in unit enclosure.  I'll need tools to
>work on it (acceptible as I need several).  Don't know how much work each
>one would take.  Does anywhere sell generic accessories such as mounts and
>drive cages to put in such a box??????
>
>Any help, direction or offers (old / unused kit) much appreciated.

You can get an atx case from Universal Control Systems (www.ucs.co.uk)
but at 179.00 + vat is not much cheaper than Maplin!
I did see an advert somewhere for cheek pieces to fit a standard case
in a 19inch rack - but I can't remember where ;-(

Stan Barr  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The future was never like this!