Linux-Hardware Digest #822, Volume #10           Thu, 22 Jul 99 16:13:34 EDT

Contents:
  Re: GVC internal PCI modem (Eric Fierke)
  Re: Slow megaraid (Mike Simos)
  /dev/stX scsi tape I/O error (Brian Nichols)
  Re: 19in racks for PC motherboard, PCI, IDE etc.... needed (Skitzoid Rotary
Blastmaster)
  WD 9710 Video Card driver (Fritz Muehlhausen)
  K7 mobos (Gerald Willmann)
  Re: /dev/stX scsi tape I/O error ("Brian Nichols")
  Anyone Get The CMI8338 Working ? ("Allix")
  CDROMS (Deborah Wood)
  Fujitsu MB86xxx Ethernet (Eric Wick)
  Problem with HD > 8G (Kevin / Jessica Chau)
  Re: what machine to run linux? (Rod Roark)
  Re: CD-RW: IDE or SCSI ? (traxxas)
  Re: K7 mobos (Rod Roark)
  Re: Problem of keyboard with frame buffer (Michael Nyvang)
  Beginner need help for Samsung printer configuration ("GuangJun Wu")
  Re: HP Laserjet 3100 and Linux (Grant Taylor)
  Re: SIS 6215c Help!! (Cameron)
  Re: 4 CPU motherboard (Mike Frisch)
  Re: Use CD-R for every day CD Use? ("Steve Doney")
  2 NICS... one box ("Benjamin G. Chase")
  Linux Training ("JamesH")

From: Eric Fierke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GVC internal PCI modem
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 11:38:17 -0400

Not to aggrivate the situation further, but there are a LOT of winmodems
out there that will work in windows 3.1.  The real test is wether or not
it works in DOS without loading a driver.  If it does, then it's not a
winmodem.

Eric

------------------------------

From: Mike Simos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Slow megaraid
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 13:21:16 -0400

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Floyd Davidson wrote:

> I'd lie and tell you I've never done anything that stupid
> before, but your probably laughing hard enough as it is.

Happens to all of us from time to time. :)

> Say, I noticed another article of yours that said something
> about a curses based utility to configure the RAID array.  Where
> can one find it?

http://www.ami.com/megaraid/mr_drivers.html

Download the RedHat driver and follow the instructions included. The
curses based utility (megamgr) is already compiled but needs the newest
driver to work properly. A word to the wise, if you decide to compile the
driver as a module you will need to make a new initrd image. Make sure you
know how to do this correctly or could you be left with a system that
doesn't load the megaraid module at boot and doesn't mount the root
fs. A good idea is to make a second entry in lilo.conf so you can always
boot a kernel you know works.

Mike

------------------------------

From: Brian Nichols <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: /dev/stX scsi tape I/O error
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 13:36:41 -0300

Under SuSe 6.0 the following command line

tar cvf - line7 | dd of=/dev/st1 ibs=10240 obs=120k

generates the following result

dd: /dev/st1: No space left on device
0+60 records in
1+0 records out
dd: /dev/st1: Input/output error

The following

mt -t /dev/st1 status

generates this:

drive type = Generic SCSI-2 tape
drive status = 335544320
sense key error = 0
residue count = 0
file number = 0
block number = 0
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x14 (EXB-8200 (RLL 43245 bpi)).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

mt -t /dev/st1 rewind doesn't return an error.

This is a newly built system.  The tape drives are just being installed
and
have never been used.

/dev/st* looks like
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   0 Apr 15 02:14 /dev/st0
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,  96 Apr 15 02:14 /dev/st0a
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,  32 Apr 15 02:14 /dev/st0l
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,  64 Apr 15 02:14 /dev/st0m
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   1 Apr 15 02:14 /dev/st1
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,  97 Apr 15 02:14 /dev/st1a
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,  33 Apr 15 02:14 /dev/st1l
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,  65 Apr 15 02:14 /dev/st1m

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks
Brian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Skitzoid Rotary Blastmaster)
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.robotics.misc,uk.adverts.computer,uk.adverts.other,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: 19in racks for PC motherboard, PCI, IDE etc.... needed
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 17:22:56 GMT

On 22 Jul 1999 06:04:06 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stan Barr),
kissed the big ugly shark and wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 13:57:57 +0100, Mark Hamlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>The time has come to rack some of the old and some of the new gear in my
>>studio.  What is the cheapest way to rack a PC.  Any links to vendors or
>>tutorials would be much appreciated.  (I have RS & Maplin!!!!!).   I'd like
>>to know all my options, so far I know little.
>
>You can get an atx case from Universal Control Systems (www.ucs.co.uk)
>but at 179.00 + vat is not much cheaper than Maplin!

I offered the original poster a real 19" PC case, complete in good
condition, just missing the drivebay key (its locked open) for 80 quid,
well under half of what he was quoted for the shop-bought one, and
he doesnt seem to want it.
ANYWAY: for anyone who is SERIOUS about buying one, email me,
ill do it for 80 quid including UK delivery.

     xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Skitzoid Rotary Blastmaster xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    |--------------------- [EMAIL PROTECTED] --------------------|
    |- Cardiacs / Thrash Metal / Arcade collecting / Guitar Tech --|
    |---------- http://www.skitzo.dircon.co.uk/index.htm ----------|

------------------------------

From: Fritz Muehlhausen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: WD 9710 Video Card driver
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 13:25:43 -0500

I am in search of any information pretaining to the WD 9710 Video
Chipset and Linux.  I have the Paradise Pipeline 64 PCI video card, and
would like to get it to work with X11 with something other than VGA16.
Tried SVGA, does not work.  Does anyone know if there is a X video
server for the WD 9710 chip?????  PLEASE HELP!!!

------------------------------

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: K7 mobos
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 09:20:23 -0700

I read on AMD's website yesterday that they are now shipping the first K7s
to manufacturers, that enduser systems should become available in the
third quarter of this year and that mobos are under development by Asus
and others. Does anyone (some insider perhaps) know whether there will be
baby AT form factor mobos for this nice new processor. thanks,
                                                                 Gerald

------------------------------

From: "Brian Nichols" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /dev/stX scsi tape I/O error
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 14:51:46 -0300

Forgot to mention the tape drives are EXABYTE Eliant 820's and the
controller is  Symbios logic 53c810ae.  There are two drives attached as IDs
1 and 2 on the bus.  There is is functional hard drive as device 0.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Allix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Anyone Get The CMI8338 Working ?
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 13:53:01 -0400

If you have the CMI8338 sound card and have got it working under linux,
please email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------

From: Deborah Wood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CDROMS
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 13:24:11 -0500

Hi,
I'm a new user of Linux and I'm wondering if someone can help me with a
few questions about my CDROM and Linux in general.  I'm getting an error
not a block device maybe insnode when I try to mount my CDROM...I
purchased Linux utilities and I'm trying to load the software...How do I
do this when I can't mount it to run the install program. In windows you
just use Run...is there a parallel in Linux?  Can someone Help?

Debbie

------------------------------

From: Eric Wick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fujitsu MB86xxx Ethernet
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 19:10:19 +0200

Just a question,

i have a machine with onboard mb86xxx controller that should be
supported by the at1700 driver. In Bios i can only setup 4 IRQs and a
few base-adresses. As Module the card would not be found, same as
hard-compiled in. "Driver or ressource busy" comes up when the
modulesettings for irq and dma matched.

Do this chip support a unique dma-channel?

--
Und tschuess und wech
Eric

------------------------------

From: Kevin / Jessica Chau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with HD > 8G
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 11:26:53 -0700

Hi,

I have an AST Advantage 9403 (MMX-166) for about 3 years.
I installed a Western Digital 13G (AC313000) hard drive.
My Linux (ver 2.0.35) can only see about 8 G.  Do anyone
has any idea on this problem?

Many thanks.

-- Kevin

------------------------------

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: what machine to run linux?
Date: 22 Jul 1999 18:34:08 GMT

gus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> I am thinking installing linux to my PC, is that a good idea? Or it is
>> better to have a separate system for it, since the machines are so
>> cheap these days? And does anyone know how fast the machine has to be
>> to run linux? Can it be run in a MAC too?
>
>If you can spare another machine, then use it. It is a blessing having
>two. Networking and other useful things become possible.

I'll second this (and not just because I sell systems!)...
networking is a lot of what Linux is about, and also given that
rebooting all the time is not fun, this is definitely the way to go.

Any machine you can get new these days is plenty fast; just make sure
the components are all compatible.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

From: traxxas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,nl.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: CD-RW: IDE or SCSI ?
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 11:32:33 -0700

That's easy use SCSI, its faster and it is made to have many devices on
one controller hooked up by on cable, it called chaining.

------------------------------

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: K7 mobos
Date: 22 Jul 1999 18:43:09 GMT

Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I read on AMD's website yesterday that they are now shipping the first K7s
>to manufacturers, that enduser systems should become available in the
>third quarter of this year and that mobos are under development by Asus
>and others. Does anyone (some insider perhaps) know whether there will be
>baby AT form factor mobos for this nice new processor. thanks,

Don't know yet but I tend to doubt it... seems like all the new ones
are going ATX and Micro ATX.

From: Michael Nyvang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.x.video
Subject: Re: Problem of keyboard with frame buffer
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 20:46:38 -0400

Denis wrote:

> Same (unresolved) problem for me with an ATI Rage 128 & Belgian keyboard:
> Impossibility to use the ALT key and many other keys and I can not also use
> XF86Config because of the X Server Used

[snip]

You may want to skim the thread "USB and dansih keyboards" in
comp.os.linux.powerpc, there are a few related issues discussed
and solved.

bw,
Michael.

------------------------------

From: "GuangJun Wu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Beginner need help for Samsung printer configuration
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 13:50:42 -0400

Hi, everybody,

First off all, please forgive me for poor english if it's not very
"English". I'm a beginner in Linux and I need help for configering my
printer.

I use the RedHat 6.0 with the kernel 2.2.5.15, my printer is Samsung
QwikLaser 85G. The printer is dedected at /dev/lp0, I have tried some HP
laser printers configuration and orthers by using "printtool",  when I made
a test, I was told that the job was queued, but nothing was printed.
"lpq" told me the job was "active", and "dmesg" told me the printer is "Out
of paper".

Here are some infomations about the printer:
-Printer engine: Samsung ML-80
-Standard emulations: Microsoft Windows Printing System and PCL4.0
-Memory: This printer DOES NOT utilize internal memory.

What troubles me the most is that the printer has not internal memory. Is
there somebody having experiences with this kind of printer?

Every suggestion will be appriciated, even it is just for the language
errors.

wu

------------------------------

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Laserjet 3100 and Linux
Date: 22 Jul 1999 15:36:04 -0400

"Michael Gibson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> How can I get my HP Laserjet 3100 to work under Linux??
> Any help welcome.

AFAIK, you can't.  The PCL support is Windows-based.  See
http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/show_printer.cgi?recnum=64960

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor@picante<dot>com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
 Cellphone information: http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/cell/

------------------------------

From: Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SIS 6215c Help!!
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 15:07:34 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> More than likely this is a stupid question, but I'm a newbie so please
> bear with me
>
> I've just installed Redhat 6 and can't get X-Windows (using KDE) to give
> me a screen resolution higher than 320x200.
>
> I've tried using xconf and trying various combos of monitor and card
> settings, but still can't get passed it. Are there maybe drivers for
> this card, or maybe I'm missing something.
>
> I'm using a SIS 6215c (PCI) and a generic monitor. In Windows 95 I can
> get up to 800x600 in color depths of 256 colors up to 24 bit.
>
> Thanks
> Roscoe Cairney

  I've just installed SuSE Linux on an HP Pavillion that has a SIS 530.  I
was able
to get 800x600 with 256 colors (8bpp). However, I had to manually configure
the XF86Config file in order to get these results.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Subject: Re: 4 CPU motherboard
Date: 19 Jul 1999 17:40:01 GMT

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 06:51:19 -0700, EKK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>can anyone point out a manufacturer of reliable 4-CPU motherboards?

For which CPU?  Pentium II does not support more than 2 CPU
configurations. I've heard rumours that PIII supports 4, but have never
confirmed this.  Xeon supports more than two as well.  The new AMD
K7/Athlon is supposed to support more than 2 configurations, but anything
previous from AMD (ie. K6, K6-2, K6-3) is not capable of even dual
configurations.

AMI made a 4-way Pentium Pro motherboard (called the "Goliath") that was
_very_ expensive (cheaper two buy two complete dual systems than this
motherboard and CPUs).

Mike.

  Mike Frisch                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

From: "Steve Doney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Use CD-R for every day CD Use?
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 20:14:28 +0100

The reasoning is/was:

Your CDR cost many times the price of the CD reader. It has a heavier head
and wears out quicker.

I got these reasons from the blurb when I bought my new CDR from Teac as it
was a 4 speed write 24 speed read as they have made the heads lighter to
last longer with more reading (hence the is/was above).

hth

Steve
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Benjamin G. Chase" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2 NICS... one box
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 19:59:41 GMT

I am requesting the help of anyone that feels that they are capable of the
task.  I have a Linux Redhat 6.0 server that I would like to use IP
forwarding with to get access to the rest of my network.  Unfortunately, I
just started using  DSL, which requires a network card and uses DHCP.  That
would not be so bad except that my network is all using static IPs.  I have
configured the 2 NICs, both of which are Linksys 10/100s, one to use DHCP,
and the other to use manual setup, but I can only get one or the other
working.  If the DHCP card is working, the static card isn't and vice versa.
Please help, I have been working on this without sleep for about 2 days now.
If this isn't possible to do, I would like to know before I kill myself
trying.  Thanks.  Please send me a mail at [EMAIL PROTECTED] , because I
am not really familiar with the groups yet and may not find your response.
Again thank you for your help.  B. CHASE

------------------------------

From: "JamesH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Linux Training
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 12:10:39 -0700

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good Linux Training Organization?
Has anyone used or heard anything about Linuxcare or Redhat training?

Jim Holloway
GTS, Inc.
800 888-9874 ext. 203