  Re: Let's build a perfect Wintel-free PC ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: hook a normal printer directly up to a network?
Date: 22 Jul 1999 15:23:00 -0400

Human<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> But then the problem will be how could I print postscript or from
> netscape to that printer on the network using external print server?

> Ihave successful in putting the printer on the network which share by
> some windoz (NT/98) machines with some linux machines.  The only problem
> I have is I can print plain text tto the printer from linux but dont
> know how to put in filter for print under netscape or others.  The
> HOW-TO only mentioned the filter if you are connecting the machine to
> the linux machine directly, but didnt mention if the printer is on
> network.  Would someone able to give me some hints on that?

Yes, in the HOWTO there are a few notes on this.  There are two

 - Implement the quick-and-easy "double-queue" hack to fool a Linux
   box into thinking that it is a local printer.  Then point everyone
   at that linux box.

 - Obtain and use the FreeBSD lpd port; it includes a patch to allow
   if filters to be run locally for remote printers.

The first one is probably the easiest; just follow the instructions in
the HOWTO's network printing section.  URL below.

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor@picante<dot>com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
 Cellphone information: http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/cell/

------------------------------

From: chunfuyu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: about my sound card!!!!!
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 12:23:37 -0700

Hi everyone!

  I just got a SONY VAIO PCG-F270
I can install redhat60 and the display is fine as 16bits 1024*768!
However, the sound card is not detected as PNP or PCI..............
It's so bad cause I don't know much about the device.........
Anyone can help me with this problem?  Thank U very much!

Peter

------------------------------

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HOWTO
Date: 22 Jul 1999 15:30:12 -0400

"Jake_Paws" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> That is the best bet for looking for a printer. However, What I do is find a
> printer that emulates usually a HP. Normally any popular printer will work.
> The only thing you need to wacth out for. Is a windows based only laser
> printer. Basicly you can spot these because they have no emulations.

HP compatibility (which implies some degree of PCL support) is a good
sign, but even HP has made undocumented printers from time to time
(the "PPA" series of DeskJets comes to mind).

The best bet is to buy a printer reported as working by someone else.
Use the Printing HOWTO's compatibility list as a guide; URL below.

From: Craig Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: System hangs
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 13:15:41 -0700

I have recently built a Linux system for home use.

ASUS P5A Mainboard w/ sound.  ALI chip set 512k cache
K6-3 400
128MB RAM
Adaptec 2940 UW SCSI controller
9GB Micropolis SCSI HD
3COM 905B 100/10 BT Ethernet card
SCSI CDROM
AIWA Travan4 SCSI Tape Backup
ATI Xpert 98 AGP Video Card
Hitachi 751 Monitor

I have installed Redhat 6.0 (kernel 2.2.5-15).  I have built my own
kernel to get the
board sound and tape backup working.  I now have all components of the
system working, except for the Win printer (Xerox Docuprint P8) that I
mistakenly bought.

However, I have encountered a couple of problems.

1.) When logging in immediately after the system boots, GNOME and
Enlightenment start very slowly.  If I kill X, it automatically
restarts, and everything works normally (much quicker) at that point.

2.) Inevitably, sometimes almost immediately, sometimes several hours
later, the system hangs, and my only recourse is to press the reset
button or power off.  There
does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to these system hangs.  When I
have used the reset button, the system reboots, fsck is run on all
partitions with no errors
detected.  Once it has booted and I run free, almost all of my 128MB RAM
is used
(125MB) whereas on the initial boot only about 50 MB is used.  Does this
suggest
faulty RAM?  There was nothing in /var/log/messages that indicates a
problem to
me.  Can I do something to increase logging or are there other log files
that I should
be looking at?

I am fairly confident that this is not a heat problem.  I have a CPU
heat sink/fan and
used bonding glue to improve the cooling.  CPU runs at ~40C, mainboard
~32C.

Any suggestions on what to do to fix this problem or on information that
I can post
that would be helpful in diagnosing the problem are appreciated.

I find this Windows-like 'feature' most annoying.

Craig.

------------------------------

From: Bruce Roth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Eternal Modem Problems...
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 14:01:12 -0500

John Patrick Krut wrote:

> I have had LINUX for a couple years now but
> rarely get a chance to work with it - and have
> never been able to use the USR modem (non-winmodem)
> Well, this last week I have made a determined effort
> to get it to connect to the internet - in vain.
>
> When I just finished messing with it, I checked the
> minicom.log file and apparently every three seconds
> it attempts to call then hangs up.  In the last two years
> I have heard it dial once (in LINUX). Unfortunately
> I have tweaked so many files I am concerned I'll never
> get it to work... the last thing I did was try what this
> guy wrote below...
>
> Ranger wrote:
>
> > Try
> > echo atzdt3928332 >> /dev/ttySX
> > ttySX being ttyS0 through ttyS3 for com 1-4
>
> I did try it with atdt as well as atzdt - if anyone
> has any suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.
> Thanx in advance.
>
> --
>
>       HaveAGoodLife * * * * * * * ResistanceIsFutile
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * -jpk- * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Try downloading ezppp from: http://www.serv.net/~cameron/ezppp/  and follow the howto
for configuration.

this should correct any files that were changed. Setup is much easier this way. I've
used it with 2

machines and several modems (Hayes 56k, Sportster external 28.8, & Blaster 56k
External, etc)

and had no problem with any of them using this & RedHat 5.1 & 5.2. It uses a gui with
an easy to

configure expect script and seemed simple to debug.

Good Luck,

--
         Teknoid

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

From: Seth Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CD/DVD udf fs problems
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 16:09:28 -0400

I recently put Linux  (Caldera 2.2) on my Dell (PII 450, 128 MB Ram,
Toshiba DVD-ROM).  For the life of me, I can't get the damn thing to
recognize any CDs.  I have installed the kernel module for udf
filesystem support, so the device sees DVD directory structures and
files, but not ISO 9660 CDs.  I have modified my fstab to reflect the
fact that the device uses the udf filesystem, and my links in KDE point
to the correct device, but I'm stumped.

Everything I read from Caldera hasn't worked, so I turned to the
Internet.  According to most, installing the udf.o mod to my kernel
should have fixed things.  Instead I only have a half-working drive.  I
really only want to use CDs to listen to music, create MP3s, etc.  Every

other modification I have made to my machine/kernel (Zip Drive,
Wavetable Sound!!!) has worked like a dream, except this.  If anyone can

offer any help whatsoever, or even share their own failure to get KDE
1.1 / COL 2.2 to see their CD, I'd really love it.  Thanks in advance.

By the way, just for reference device is /dev/hdc and works great when
it has a DVD in it.

Seth Miller

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Emulation
Date: 22 Jul 1999 15:33:50 -0400

"Jake_Paws" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I know this is crazy and you have already tried it. But check to see if your
> 3100 can emulate anything else. For instance a HP laserjet series II. Call
> hp. depending on the tech support person. They will either be happy to
> answer you or just be extremly rude.

If we're talking about the LaserJet 3100, the original poster will be
SOL.  The 3100's PCL emulation is host-based; it runs in the Windows
driver.  The 3100 is the only HP printer that I know of that qualifies
for the unfortunate "paperweight" rating.

See http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/show_printer.cgi?recnum=64960

From: Hugh McCurdy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP 712C - is it a Windows only printer?
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 19:37:20 +0000

Searching the HP website doesn't really answer the question.
(At least not that I can find).

I received a call from someone who is trying to use this printer
under Linux.  (Unfortunately, he is in California and I'm in
New York State - so I'm not driving over for a visit).

My guess is that this is a Windows only printer (the brains
are in the driver instead of the printer).  That is, it doesn't
recognize PCL commands.

Am I correct?

If so, does anyone know if HP is cooperating (providing driver
specifications) or if they think their interface is some deep
dark corporate secret?
--
Hugh McCurdy

------------------------------

From: Michael L Lockhart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Running X on an LCD
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 13:58:21 -0600

==============ADEC44A0FA70313ABE565EA8

You might try looking at this page.
http://website.lineone.net/~a.rix/rh6-solo9150.html
It is found on http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/. I have a
ProStar 8250 which also has a 15 inch LCD and uses the same graphics card. I
haven't tried the stuff on the page yet, but figured it was a good starting
place once I read your posting.

Good luck,
Mike

--

Got a complaint about the Internal Revenue Service?
Call the convenient toll-free "IRS Taxpayer Complaint Hot Line Number":

        1-800-AUDITME

==============ADEC44A0FA70313ABE565EA8

You might try looking at this page. <A
HREF="http://website.lineone.net/~a.rix/rh6-solo9150.html">http://website.lineone.net/~a.rix/rh6-solo9150.html</A>
HREF="http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/">http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/</A>.
I have a ProStar 8250 which also has a 15 inch LCD and uses the same graphics
card. I haven't tried the stuff on the page yet, but figured it was a good
starting place once I read your posting.
9150. I have an ATI
the
scan
that

<pre>--&nbsp;

Got a complaint about the Internal Revenue Service?&nbsp;&nbsp;
Call the convenient toll-free "IRS Taxpayer Complaint Hot Line Number":

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1-800-AUDITME</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: I have to write a CDROM driver ...need help
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 19:47:42 GMT

I have to write a driver for my panasonic KXL-783A cdrom
I know c & c++ but have no exp. in c or c++. I have been
a progammer in vb and others for years.
Just a matter of getting the right info & sample I think.

I am going to be running zipslack or doslinux (not sure yet which is
the best)

Need all the info I can get. On both writting a driver and
which dos based linux flavor to use. I need GUI..:P so I need
the leanest xwindows & desktop there is any advice?

Adam

From: "DigitalShadowz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 1 or 2 HD's
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 14:50:47 -0400

    I am building a new system and want to use both Linux and win98.  Is it
preferred to run both on a single HD that is partitioned, or to pick up two
HD's or does it not matter?  I am new to Linux and want the freedom to be
able to play with it with out too much risk to my other data.  Also anyone
know of somewhere with good prices on SCSI controllers/drives?  Thx in
advance.

DS

------------------------------

From: A E Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MAKE error when compiling FTAPE-4.02
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 21:33:59 +0100

David Graham wrote:

> Here's a quote from Bob Nielsen in fa.kernel.ftape:
>
> "I believe Red Hat 6.0 uses a 2.2.x kernel.  There are apparently
> problems running ftape-4.02 with this.  If 3.04d worked for you
> previously, you might try compiling tape support into the kernel,
> which contains 3.04d.  It worked for me with a ditto 3200/dash.
>
> Otherwise, try the "unstable" version of ftape at
>
> http://www.math1.rwth-aachen.de/~heine/ftape/archives/ftape-4.x/unstable/
>
> Bob"
>
> I had problems like this, with a 2.2.5 kernel, and getting the
> "unstable" version solved it for me.  There seem to be changes in some
> of the relevant structures from 2.0.x to 2.2.x.
[snip]

This is an FAQ:-

1) Turn off ftape in the kennel. 2) Get the "unstable" version as above
and compile as module.

--
Dr A E Lawrence (from home)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Fincher)
Subject: Re: Cheap personal laser for Linux
Date: 22 Jul 1999 20:20:14 GMT

> Lexmark E310.  And it has postscript, too!

How significant is this?  I don't know much about printing, so I don't know
what kind of difference this will make.

Thanks,
Jeremy

(btw, I'm a big fan of HP...my mom's had a IIP that's served her for years and
I use their calculators [long live RPN!], so if at all possible, i would like
to buy from them...unless their quality has changed over the years)

==================================
If i ever forget to capitalize a proper noun, forgive me.  i'm a big fan of ee
cummings

My ICQ # is 28153190. My AIM/AOL name is either jemfinch02 or Cassius80.
Have a good day, and good luck in your endeavors!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux newbie seeks hardware advice
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 20:10:30 GMT

I've just purchased a SC-750A Supermicro case, a P6DGE board and Teac
floppy and SCSI CDRom - thats all I have. I'm trying to get my head
around exactly what I'll require to run Linux and NT together - server
project + games + vid. edit.
Any advice/comments on processors/HD's/SCSI cards etc..

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: CD-RW & SCSI cards & Iomega Zip Plus
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 20:41:13 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Jay davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Chris Liddell wrote:
> > I've been thinking about getting a CD-RW drive, and I 've seen a
lot good
> > things written about the Yamaha 4x(w) 4x(rw) x16(r) SCSI drives. I
just
> > wondered anyone had experience with these drives under Linux and
what their
> > experience was?

I had one, it worked fine. However, it doesn't support CD-Text so I
returned it and got a Plextor 8220 instead.

> First, the Yamaha CD-R/RW drives are great. I have been using a
> couple for a while under windows with no problems. In the near
> furture I was going to try them under Linux but I haven't gotten to
> it yet.
>
> As far as SCSI boards go, I have been using Adaptec cards under
> Linux, Netware, and windows for a long time with no problems.
> For a non-disk drive SCSI chain, the 2920 is perfect.
>
> Yes, the Iomega Zip Plus uses a cludged SCSI interface which won't
> work well unless it gets its own dedicated interface. The Zip 250 SCSI
> version does work fine however, since I have it on the same SCSI chain
> as that Yahama CD-RW, a CD-ROM, and a Scanner. Unfortunately,
> that is the same system I want to run linux on but haven't gotten to,
> so I don't know how the Zip 250 deals with Linux yet. My hunch is
> that it should all work without a problem.

I have recently encountered an odd problem: I have a Jaz and the
Plextor on one controller. It seems that Windows98 periodically polls
the drives, and if the Jaz has idled down it will take a long time to
spin up before it can respond to the poll. If this occurs while you are
burning a CD, it will occupy the SCSI bus long enough to cause a buffer
underrun, and the CD-in-progress will be wasted. This happened even
though I have "disconnect" selected for both the Jaz and the Plextor.
Quite annoying. Tip: if you are burning CDs, remove any cartridges from
your Zip or Jaz drives first, so they don't try to respond to any polls.
Another good idea is to kill any scheduler programs you might have
active. I hate all these damn things that lurk on my Win98 system, and
you never know which ones you can kill safely. At least on Linux I know
I can kill processes to my heart's content, except for init...

From: Doug Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Epson Stylus Colour 440
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 15:01:31 -0600

Dale Pontius wrote:

> In article <7m4e1l$qup$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         Duncan Grisby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > 21 per colour, and 64 for black, according to a pdf file I downloaded
> > from Epson. It works fine if I change upOutputPins in stc.upp to 21. I
> > haven't got around to trying 64 in mono mode.
> >
> I've been trying to figure out the ramifications of this, without
> success. If your solution works, great. Figuring out how to micro-
> weave with 21 pins will be a bear. I'm trying to work on some
> documentation on the process, and including it with the stuff
> that's available on Bert Haverkamp's Epson 740 page:
> http://lcewww.et.tudelft.nl/~haver/linux/epson.html
>
> You bring up an interesting point - I've never thought of trying
> to do a mono mode with all the extra pins.
>
> Dale Pontius
> (NOT speaking for IBM)

Can I infer from the above that there is a way to put the 740 into a
mono mode?  I just recently successfully managed to print via Samba to a
740 on a Win95 machine, but anything other than plain text is printing
using the color jets. Is there a way to force the use of black ink
only?  I did a bit of looking at the upp file and tried printing to file
from windows and trying to identify a 'page start string' but to no
avail (not that I spent that much time on it....) .  Any pointers
greatly appreciated, both from a quality and $$$-spent-on-ink
perspective.

dk.

------------------------------

From: Ben Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond Viper V770D
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 13:52:14 -0700

Yes.  You will need to get thepatches for X from nVidia's web site:
  http://www.nvidia.com/Products.nsf/htmlmedia/software_drivers.html
You should just get the file: RIVA-X-GLX-1.0-glibc-i386.tar.gz
It provides most of what you need.  Also,  if you need acceleration using
Mesa you will need to change the symbolic link to Mesa (by default in
/usr/X11R6/lib) to point to libGL.  Then you should run XF86Setup to
configure the display settings.

Ben

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuiltalt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.be.help
Subject: Re: Let's build a perfect Wintel-free PC
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 21:13:29 GMT

In article <7lvnk5$dq3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Ludovic Hirlimann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stanislav Kelman) wrote:
> > Hello everyone!

> Hi

> > Anyway, in a few months I'm going to put together a Wintel-free PC,
> just
> > for the fun of it.  Most likely, it will have to be a multi-
processor
> > capable AMD K7 (Athlon) based machine, unless somebody can suggest a
> > better option.
> Hold It right there !
> You're still talking 'tel' here. the K7 is definitivly in the "intel"
> world because it complies and is compatible with the 80386
architecture
> (which somehow is very close to the 4004 architecture dev in the 70s).
> Looking for a non wintel machine means not using Microsoft software
nor
> using Intel x86 processors (why didn't they pushed their i860 and so
> good other processors).

Ack. The i860 was junk, and died a well-deserved early death. Massively
inflated performance/Mflops numbers, that you could only achieve with
tiny data sets that fit into the on-chip cache; real-world performance
down in the dumper, no integer ALU, and a nightmare for SMP. They
pushed that thing as hard as they could, and it fell right over.

> You should be looking for PowerPc based machines - Mips, Arm, Alpha
> based machine.

Yeah, that's a nice list. I've never used an ARM, but coding for all
the others was usually tolerable. Of course, I still have 4 68030-based
Atari's in my house. Motorola 68K forever!! (Or is that ColdFire now?)