From: Helmut Artmeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux hardware debugging
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 07:48:24 +0200

Hi!!!

I have downloaded Dag Brattli's irdatools. I want to use irdadump but
the debug information out of irdadump are very confusing:

09:02:09.620264 xid:cmd 0xffffffff < 0xd152961e S=6 0
09:02:09.690178 xid:cmd 0xffffffff < 0xd152961e S=6 1
09:02:09.750173 xid:cmd 0xffffffff < 0xd152961e S=6 2
09:02:09.820145 xid:cmd 0xffffffff < 0xd152961e S=6 3
09:02:09.880370 xid:cmd 0xffffffff < 0xd152961e S=6 4
09:02:09.880676 xid:rsp 0x00005690 > 0xd152961e S=6 4 LnxMachine
hint=0d00 [ PnP Computer Printer ]
09:02:09.970153 xid:cmd 0xffffffff < 0xd152961e S=6 5
09:02:10.060239 xid:cmd 0xffffffff < 0xd152961e S=6 * Sim1-Client
hint=8404 [ Computer IrCOMM ]
09:02:10.100803 snrm:cmd ca=0xfe pf=1 0x00005690 < 0xd152961e
new-ca=0xe6
09:02:10.101164 ua:rsp ca=0xe6 pf=1 0x00005690 > 0xd152961e
09:02:10.101349 ua:rsp ca=0xe6 pf=1 0x00005690 > 0xd152961e
09:02:10.410419 rr:cmd < ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=0
09:02:10.410742 rr:rsp > ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=0
09:02:10.430366 i:cmd  < ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=0 ns=0 LM slsap=0x03 dlsap=0x00

CONN_CMD
09:02:10.430721 rr:rsp > ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=1
09:02:10.450332 rr:cmd < ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=0
09:02:10.450621 rr:rsp > ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=1
09:02:10.470325 rr:cmd < ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=0
09:02:10.470615 rr:rsp > ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=1
09:02:10.490329 rr:cmd < ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=0
09:02:30.870353 i:cmd  < ca=0x4e pf=1 nr=0 ns=0 LM slsap=0x03 dlsap=0x00

CONN_CMD
09:02:54.890366 disc:cmd < ca=0xe0 pf=1
09:02:54.890660 ua:rsp ca=0xe0 pf=1 0x00005690 > 0xd152961e
09:02:55.800481 snrm:cmd ca=0xfe pf=1 0x00005690 < 0xd152961e
new-ca=0x8e
09:02:55.800882 ua:rsp ca=0x8e pf=1 0x00005690 > 0xd152961e
09:02:55.801073 ua:rsp ca=0x8e pf=1 0x00005690 > 0xd152961e
09:02:56.110344 rr:cmd < ca=0x8e pf=1 nr=0
09:02:56.110651 rr:rsp > ca=0x8e pf=1 nr=0
09:02:56.130344 i:cmd  < ca=0x8e pf=1 nr=0 ns=0 LM slsap=0x03 dlsap=0x00

CONN_CMD

Maybe you know something about the possible debugging information out of

irdadump...

Helmut Artmeier

From: "Prasanth Kumar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "Not found any active partition"
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 05:56:18 GMT

One of the partitions on the drive must be assigned to be the active
partition which it will boot from. This can be set with any fdisk program.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: essai
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:13:19 +0200

desole, c'est un test

------------------------------

From: Toby Mintz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: is Conexant SoftK56 a winmodem??
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 22:25:24 -0700

I've had no luck getting my Conexant SoftK56 PCI modem to work under
Linux 2.2.  I've tried manually configuring using `setserial' with no
success.
Does anyone know if this is a winmodem, or how I would find out?
(It uses Rockwell chipset, which made me think it was a real modem.)

Thanks in advance,

Toby Mintz

------------------------------

From: "Prasanth Kumar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 1 or 2 HD's
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 05:57:52 GMT

You might put the Linux swap partition on the Windows drive and the rest of
Linux on the other drive. This will give a bit of performance improvement in
swapping and makes it easier to experiment with Linux.

news:7n7pbo$62f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Chuck Frost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recommend: cheap 100baseT card
Date: 23 Jul 1999 06:31:11 GMT

In my experience, the easiest 10/100 PCI cards for Linux are the Netgear
FA310TX cards, which uses the tulip kernel module. These cards have given
me the least problems/grief...etc. I use them both at 100mbit half duplex
to hubs, and 100mbit full duplex to switch ports without any problems.

There actually is a Linux driver that comes packaged with the newer
Netgears (which is just a modified version of the tulip driver anyways).
I've never bothered to use that version because I've never had any
problems with the public domain version (if it ain't broke, dont fix it!).

The cards run somewhere between $20-$30. I've also seen various rebate
offers for them as well...

-Matt "Chuck Frost" Cuttler

===

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Prasanth Kumar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: is Conexant SoftK56 a winmodem??
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 06:00:18 GMT

The "Soft" is a dead giveaway that it is a winmodem. Safest bet is to get an
external modem.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Prasanth Kumar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New user needs help with video card!
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 06:05:53 GMT

Why not manually select the other video card during install? I think a
Monster Fusion
uses a Voodoo Banshee? If you are already installed then rerun the
"Xconfigurator"
program to reselect a new card.

David Casey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7n6tpu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hiya!  I have a 200MHz Pentium MMX Packard Bell with 64MB of RAM, a S3
> graphics card which came with the computer, a Diamond Monster Fusion video
> card with 16MB RAM.  I am using Windows 98 on one part of the hard drive,
> and have loaded Linux-Mandrake 6.0 on the other side.  Problem is, the
probe
> software detects the S3 video card which I'm no longer using.  Under
Windows

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATAPI Zip Drive Linux 2.0.10 fails
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 01:47:59 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi Ruud: Apparently, there are different versions of the IOMEGA ATAPI
> Zip 100 drive.  I have one computer where it works and another where it
> does not.  The one where it does not work is the newer purchase, which
> leads me to suspect that IOMEGA made some changes that the driver does
> not reflect, given that it has not been updated in 2 years.

For whatever it's worth, Alan Cox's patch doc said something to the effect
of "now assumes that *all* iomega hardware is funny, since it apparently
is".

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: Walter Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with CD drives.
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 02:07:42 -0400

I have been fighting with my two CD drives for two weeks, and I hope
someone can help me out..

One is an HP 7200i CD-RW drive, the other is a Kenwood (HiVal) True 40X
drive, both of them IDE.  Writes from the hard drive to the CD-RW drive
seem to work just fine, but CD to CD copies are VERY prone to failure.

By prone to failure, I don't mean I'm just making coasters, but I get
all sorts of errors.  I have both drives under ide-scsi 'emulation', I
have tried making just the CD-RW drive ide-scsi emulated, but it seems
to make no difference.  I have all SCSI options set to Yes in compiling
my kernel, 2.2.10, and of course SCSI emulation compiled in as well.

What I get are messages like the following:

scsi: aborting command due to timeout : pid NN, scsi0, channel 0, id (0
or 1), lun 0
Read (10) 00 00 00 00 53 00 00 05 00
SCSI host 0 abort (pid NN) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
hd(c/d): ATAPI reset complete
SCSI CD error : host 0 id (0/1) lun 0 return code : 1800000000
CD-ROM I/O error: dev 0B:01, sector (332/336)

hdc is the CD-RW, id 0, hdd is the CD-ROM, id 1.  I get these messages
repeating, first id 0 then id 1..

Any suggestions would be great...  I'm not sure what IDE controller is
on the motherboard, maybe it's too wimpy to do the controlling, but
hopefully there is a way to fix it..  I haven't tried a CD to CD copy on
the 'other' OS on the box due to its' nature of not being able to
recognise the CORRECT hardware, rather finding all sorts of other
hardware I don't have, then wants to reset.. :)

Anyway...  Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Walter Francis
http://wally.hplx.net                      Powered by RedHat 6.0

------------------------------

From: Elvis Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AOpen ALN325 PCI Ethernet Card
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 11:14:21 -0400

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, Dr. Francisco V. Santacruz S. wrote:

> Does anyone knows which driver should I use to get my AOpen ALN325 PCI
> Ethernet Card 10/100 working with kernel 2.2.10?

Acer (AOpen) provides its own linux driver for their ethernet cards.
You can obtain it from www.acer.com and follow the link to the
ethernet driver webpage.

alternatively, you can use "Realtek 8129/8139" driver that is
standard in linux kernel since 2.0.34.  AL325 is based on realtek
8139a, and the aforementioned driver works for it.

hope this helps,

Elvis

------------------------------

From: lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mount problem
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:34:16 +0200

hello,
excuse for my english, i'm french
i have a IDE CDROM, and a HP CD-RW
before my HP, i could read my cdrom on /mnt/cdrom
but after install the HP, i have a problem, i can't mount cdrom
could u help me please

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: trouble initializing my modems sometimes
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 07:43:22 GMT

Hi,
I've got a problem with my external modems under linux.
I know the modems are all right (running Win98, I can use them).
I have also been able to use them under linux, and they were working
fine.
Yesterday, I installed a second modem (a USR one). The modem was
present, but minicom couldn't initialize it. I tried to change the
settings and got no results. Eventually, I turned the computer off,
changed the modem's serial port, and suddenly it worked perfectly!
However, after the next reboot, the problem was back. This is annoying,
but acceptable as I only want my modem to be dialed in under linux (and
when the modem's dialed in, everything's fine).
Meanwhile, I took my oldest modem (an Olitec one) to another PC, running
the same version of Linux (Mandrake 6.0). The Olitec had never got any
problem with linux. It also worked with this other PC yesterday, but
today, after a reboot, it gave me the same problem that the USR.
Minicom says different things when trying to initialize, it can be:
*       ..+++
*       AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0
        OK
which is the good init string, but I still can't type 'at'
*       TQ0V1H0
        OK
minicom always gets stuck after this. Then I'm forced to kill it.

Kind of a voodoo trick, isn't it?

From: Jibé <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-RW YAMAHA 4416S Timeout/RH6 Mand.6
Date: 23 Jul 1999 08:31:12 GMT

LOF wrote:
> > > I have a problem with my cdrw when I want to start Linux:
> > > After the message
> > > '1 host'
> > > I have a message
> > > '...aborting due to timeout lun0 pid3' or something like that...
> > > during the boot, when the scsi card (TEKRAM) wants to detect my
cdrw...

> Same for me : CD-RW YAMAHA 4416S + SCSI Tekram (2 modules of the kernel
> *should* apply, I don't remember thoroughly their names, but they
probably
> match t?scsi? and am53?7*) + Mandrake 6.0 (ker 2.2.9).
> Worse : after such a problem, on the reboot, everything look like I don't
> have the CD-RW at all ! (looks like the SCSI controller don't find
> anything). I then need to reboot *twice* on WinXX to have my CD-RW found
> again !
>
> With a SuSE 6.1 (kernel 2.2.6), I have the message "1 host", and then, no
> error but simply nothing else with the SCSI.
>
> I'm considering looking into the modules involved, but if someone did
some
> efforts already, let me know !
>
> Laurent.

Yes .... EVERYTHING like me...
After the crash, when I reboot I can't 'see' my 4416S anymore. So I have to
turn my computer off to see it again.

I have found some informations about those problems.

I 've made a research in www.searchlinux.com on the word '4416S'...

I have remark that everybody have the same problem with the 4416S but with
some differents SCSI cards.

I don't know...

Jibé - France

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Jibé <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 23 Jul 1999 08:31:11 GMT

> I had a similar problem with an ASUS P2BS board with
> onboard U2W controller AIC7890. I tried to install
> SUSE 6.0 and got the same error message. I had to build
> a new kernel with proper options for the scsi driver
> (not to use LUNs, larger time for scsi reset). Since
> then it works. Which controller is on the TEKRAM?

My card is a TEKRAM DC-390 SCSI-2 with the AMD 53C974A controller chip.
It seems that the controller works okay... I've seen another message on
witch I have read :

" with a yamaha 4416s and an adaptec AHA 2940..
Turn off the WIDE NEGOCIATION in the scsi configuration panel (Ctrl-A)..."

But ... I have not any WIDE NEGOCIATION on my SCSI-2 (of course I mean...)
So... What do I disable to make my cdrw working...

You understand ? (I speek english like a monkey... ;-p)

Jibé - France

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Walter Harms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on PC/104
Date: 23 Jul 1999 08:54:34 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Justin Gamble) writes:

There is a mailing for embedded linux.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
You can also find several sites devoted to linuxembedded. last but not
least there are companies already selling linux presinstalled.

        walter

--
=====
"I reversed the polarity of the neutron flow..."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (USA_Guy _)
Subject: "The LinuxStore" - are they good ??
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 02:01:30 -0700 (PDT)

In recent months I've jumped from an iMac to an eMachine with Win98, and
now I'm thinking of buying the "Axion" model with dual OS installed from
the Linux Store.
http://www.thelinuxstore.com/
--
Any thoughts on the reputation of "The LinuxStore" or the quality of
their machines would be greatly appreciated.