Linux-Hardware Digest #834, Volume #10           Fri, 23 Jul 99 22:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Matrox Millenium G 200 SD 16 MD (wizard)
  Re: Microsoft Wheel Mouse in Linux ("Chris Kuhi")
  Re: Mobo for linux server (Bryan)
  adjust the width/height of view area under XFree86 3.3.3.1 (Tung-Sheng Lin)
  MISI Help (Kevin Walter Rogovin)
  HP DeskJet 1120C ("Hugh")
  CM8338 Sound Card (Rakhaal)
  Hard disk detection problem in Debian (Abhay Gidwani)
  Fibre channel RAID (Ted Morris)
  Re: Cheap personal laser for Linux (David M. Plummer)
  Re: adjust the width/height of view area under XFree86 3.3.3.1 (H.Bruijn)
  Re: HP DeskJet 1120C (JACS)
  Re: Matrox Millenium G 200 SD 16 MD ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  will Linux run smartmodems? (John Jacques)
  my hdparm specs question (John Jacques)
  Re: compiling via-rhine.c (bono)
  Re: RH 5.2 Fdisk Question ("Charles Sullivan")
  Sound not working properly! (Chem-R-Us)
  Re: Recommend: cheap 100baseT card ("Andrew J. Norman")
  RH and Wacom Pen Partner
  Re: Why Build Box? (Robert V. Grizzard)
  Graphics Card and X ("CHUD")
  Pb with SCSI symbios 53c895 and kernel 2.2.xx ("G.Ramelet")
  Re: SUN Disk Label - How to remove?? (William Burrow)
  x-windows with i740 display adapter ("gurbinder")
  Poor Picture Quality in X (John Patrick Krut)
  Re: S3 Trio3D and XFree86 3.3.4 (Adam Constabaris)
  Re: S3 Trio3D and XFree86 3.3.4 (Adam Constabaris)
  Re: Linux NT Conflict (Gerhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=E4ring?=)
  Ensonic AudioPCI (1371) not working (Chem-R-Us)

From: wizard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Matrox Millenium G 200 SD 16 MD
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 16:45:48 -0400

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> Lars Amsel wrote:
>
> > i have the video adapter G200. It is possible to display 800x600 on SuSE
> > 6.0. If I try to switch to 1024x768 the X-Server hangs on startup.
>
> The card is certainly capable of more under Linux -- I run it a 1280x1024 on my
> distribution.

I can second that the G200 works at that resolution.    But I'am using the 8-meg
card so you might want to look into the possibility of an issue here.    I seem to
remember an issue some time back with the 16 meg card.    Also I just set may
machine up for 1024 x 768 and don't worry about the other resolutions

You may also want to down load the latest SVGA server as I think its just gone
through another Rev.     RedHats RawHide site has a new rev anyway.

Dave

------------------------------

From: "Chris Kuhi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft Wheel Mouse in Linux
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 21:30:48 +0200

Tung-Sheng Lin schrieb in Nachricht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hi,
>Is it possible to make the scrolling wheel of my Microsoft Wheel Mouse
>(2 buttons plus a wheel button) work under Linux (of course, under
>X-windows)? Please also send follow-ups to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. Thanks!

Check out "imwheel" at:
http://solaris1.mysolution.com/~jcatki/imwheel/

chris

------------------------------

From: Bryan <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mobo for linux server
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 21:13:50 GMT

wizard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Personally I'd consider dual Celerons which seem to be the rage lately, but
: this is a bit experimental.    You would also have to be sure that all of
: your software is happy with SMP.     ABIT has a nice board for dual Celeron
: use but I've not used it and it is very new on the market.

I run linux SMP on an abit bp6 with 2 celerons.  (happy)^2 ;-)

--
Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

------------------------------

From: Tung-Sheng Lin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: adjust the width/height of view area under XFree86 3.3.3.1
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:18:38 -0700

Having setup XFree86 via xf86config and execute 'startx', I found that
the screen in my 17" monitor is a little bit shrinking. I know I can
expand the view area by adjusting the control panel under the monitor.
But I also need to work under win98 whose view area is perfectly matched
to the screen, so I don't want to change the settings for win98. How can
I adjust the width/height of view area under XFree86 through the
configuration for xf86config? Thanks!

Tung-Sheng Lin
=============================
Communications Sciences Institute
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, California
=============================

------------------------------

From: Kevin Walter Rogovin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MISI Help
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 16:12:19 -0400

Hi All,

        I was hoping someone could help me figure this one out: running
redhat 6.0, go my SbLive! to work (the drivers from crative do NOT support
synth option), but I also have a Yamaha SW60XG car, which is really just a
MIDI wavetable card.. for DOS games and such, I just say General MIDI,
port 0x300.. how do I get Linux so that MIDI streams will be sent to the
card?

        -Kevin

------------------------------

From: "Hugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP DeskJet 1120C
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 16:27:56 -0500

Is there a Linux driver for an HP Deskjet 1120C printer... and if so, could
you refer me to it.
Thank you

--
Hugh A. Duguid, Professor
Hopkinsville Community College

(502) 886-3921 x 149
nullius in verba

------------------------------

From: Rakhaal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CM8338 Sound Card
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 17:33:48 -0500

I have a driver for the CM8338 Sound card hwich works fine in OpenLinux
2.2. When I replced Open with Redhat and recomplied the driver the
/dev/dsp device doesn't seem to be functioning. The sound card does get
inited because CD audio is audible.

Any ideas?

Rakhaal

------------------------------

From: Abhay Gidwani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hard disk detection problem in Debian
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 21:47:25 GMT

Hi,
 I'm trying to install Debian Linux 2.1 on an old Pentium 90 with a
western digital hard disk. After getting the boot: prompt from the
rescue diskette, it begins loading Linux but then I get an error about
the hard disks ports already being in use. The exact screen dump is
below:

ide: i82371 PIIX(Triton) on PCI Bus 0 Function 57
        ide0: BM-DMA at 0x1f0-01f7
        hda: ERROR, PORTS ALREADY IN USE

Can someone please let me know how I could get about troubleshooting
this error ? Needless to add, the hard disk does not get detected and so

Abhay Gidwani

From: Ted Morris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fibre channel RAID
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 22:57:51 GMT

Greetings!

I recently had a RAID quoted to me using a Chaparral K7413 Raid
Controller with a Fibre channel host interface,3 Ultra2 disk channels +
a JNI PCI to Fibre channel Card (FCE6400). The literature looks pretty
good for this controller. BUT-- is it supported under LINUX RedH?

I read through several posts on this news group and took note of
www.redhat.com/corp/support/hardware/intel/60/rh6.0-hcl-i.ld-
6.html#ss6.6

Lastly, the vendor is just RAVING about the IBM Ultrastart LZX Ultra
drives. I tried IBM a fews years back and they all crapped out on me.
Have they gotten a lot more reliable? Anyone using these disks in a
RAID?

I will be running Oracle 8i/LINUX.

tbanks very much in advance,

cheers!  ":-)

Ted

--
Ted Morris                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Center for Transportation Studies  V:612-626-8499

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Plummer)
Subject: Re: Cheap personal laser for Linux
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 22:59:37 GMT

I've been looking at his printer also. Lexmark tech support said the printer
uses a standard SIMM for memory upgrade.

Dave Plummer

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David Bremner
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:
:
:> On 22 Jul 1999 20:20:14 GMT, Jeremy Fincher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> >> Lexmark E310.  And it has postscript, too!
:> >
:> >How significant is this?  I don't know much about printing, so I don't know
:> >what kind of difference this will make.
:>
:>       Just plug it in and it will work, no muss no fuss...
:>
:> [deletia]
:>
:
:Will it print any reasonable PostScript with the standard 2M memory?
:Lexmark asks $150 for 16M of memory. I suppose there may be third party
:solutions (Kingston? Dataram?).
:
:db
:
:really: bremner at math dot washington dot edu
:sortof: david_bremner at yahoo dot com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H.Bruijn)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: 23 Jul 1999 23:07:38 GMT

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:18:38 -0700, Tung-Sheng Lin allegedly wrote:
>Having setup XFree86 via xf86config and execute 'startx', I found that
>the screen in my 17" monitor is a little bit shrinking. I know I can
>expand the view area by adjusting the control panel under the monitor.
>But I also need to work under win98 whose view area is perfectly matched
>to the screen, so I don't want to change the settings for win98. How can
>I adjust the width/height of view area under XFree86 through the
>configuration for xf86config? Thanks!

I am quite sure that modern digital monitors can store several
settings, (at least my 3 year old monitor could) so just try it,

If that doesn't work ,
try something like xvidtune to create new modelines tuned to your
display, and in a worst case scenario write your own and try those.

--
       Herman
-- ------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 18:54:17 -0400
From: JACS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP DeskJet 1120C

Hugh wrote:

> Is there a Linux driver for an HP Deskjet 1120C printer... and if so, could
> you refer me to it.
> Thank you
>
> --
> Hugh A. Duguid, Professor
> Hopkinsville Community College
> P.O. Box 2100
> Hopkinsville, KY 42241-2100
>
> (502) 886-3921 x 149
> nullius in verba

Check this site:

http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/

JACS

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 18:05:04 -0500

wizard wrote:

> "Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:
>
> > The card is certainly capable of more under Linux -- I run it a 1280x1024 on my
> > distribution.
>
> I can second that the G200 works at that resolution.    But I'am using the 8-meg
> card so you might want to look into the possibility of an issue here.    I seem to
> remember an issue some time back with the 16 meg card.    Also I just set may
> machine up for 1024 x 768 and don't worry about the other resolutions

FWIW, I'm using the 8Mb card with an additional 8Mb upgrade.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: John Jacques <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: will Linux run smartmodems?
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 19:44:03 -0400

Does slackware 4.0 support smartmodems. I figure the smart modems would
free the cpu from the burden of driving the normal modem. I actually am
thinking on buying two for the same box.

------------------------------

From: John Jacques <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: my hdparm specs question
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 19:29:48 -0400

Below are my hdparm specs. They look GREAT, but, my fileio is terrible.
I have 32 EDO and 64 SDRAM installed. Do you think using ONLY SDRAM will
speed things up alot? Is there anything I can set to increase  the drive
performance?
Thanks
John Jacques
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

========================
ABIT PX5 430TX
32 megs EDO, 64 megs SDRAM
/dev/hda is UDMA 33 EIDI- 10 gig.
Pentium 233MMX

/dev/hda:

 Model=aMtxro9 01085D                          , FwRev=AG5S1421,
SerialNo=5A206ZCT
 Config={ Fixed }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=29
 BuffType=3(DualPortCache), BuffSize=512kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=off

 DblWordIO=no, maxPIO=2(fast), DMA=yes, maxDMA=2(fast)
 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes
 LBA CHS=1023/256/63 Remapping, LBA=yes, LBAsects=21095424
 tDMA={min:120,rec:120}, DMA modes: mword0 mword1 mword2
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, PIO modes: mode3 mode4
 UDMA modes: mode0 mode1 *mode2

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  3.98 seconds =32.16 MB/sec

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  3.94 seconds =32.49 MB/sec

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  3.93 seconds =32.57 MB/sec

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  5.08 seconds =12.60 MB/sec

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  4.95 seconds =12.93 MB/sec

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  4.97 seconds =12.88 MB/sec
==============

------------------------------

From: bono <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,redhat.config
Subject: Re: compiling via-rhine.c
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 16:40:49 -0700

Yup, you don't need to compile if you are using rh6.  If you can modprobe,
ifconfig and route it successfully the first time, all you need to do it to
manually modify your rc.local file so it will run the configuration
everytime it boots.  I got my dlink working without going through the
complile kernel steps. =)

Bono

------------------------------

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 5.2 Fdisk Question
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 20:32:13 -0400

Yeah, that's a deficiency of the kernel and fdisk which are
shipped with RH 5.2.  The complaint (which you'll see on any
drive with > 1024 cylinders) is normally groundless.

------------------------------

From: Chem-R-Us <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound not working properly!
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 17:53:31 -0700

--
Chem-R-Us

 NaGHB synthesis: http://rhodium.lycaeum.org/chemistry/ghb-r-us.txt
 PGP Keys RSA: 0xB5A6181D   DH: 0x995C529B

------------------------------

From: "Andrew J. Norman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recommend: cheap 100baseT card
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 23:27:52 GMT

FYI: Sorry that I wasn't clear about what I meant by "DEC tulip based", I
meant that the cards use a command set and register setup which is
compatible with the old tulips (like the one in our old VAXStation 3100),
similarly when I refer to an NE2000 based card, I really mean one which
will operate using those protocols....well except for my two true NE2000
card (which are still flawlessly in service on some of the old machines)

For the real skinny on how the current crop of tulip based cards differ
from the originals you may want to contact D. Becker who has written most
of the ethernet driver code (he also maintains the current authoritative
references on the topic over at the nasa site)

As for the manufacture rebates--I've actually had good luck with them.
The trick is to always make sure that you get multiple copies of your
receipts and that you mail the rebate form in as soon as you get home from
the store.  Be aware though that most companies will not offer their
rebate offers to organizations or research groups using P.O's

        Andrew J. Norman
Dept. of Physics                        Phone: 757-221-3571
College of William & Mary               [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
 what is essential is invisible to the eye" -The Little Prince

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH and Wacom Pen Partner
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 23:31:12 GMT

Hi everyone. I'm wanting to get my Wacom Pen Partner to work under Red Hat
(KDE). I've been looking around at files and stuff to download, but I'm
getting confused. Can anyone tell me what I need and where I find it?

Thanks. . .Shawn

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert V. Grizzard)
Subject: Re: Why Build Box?
Date: 23 Jul 1999 23:16:39 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 20:54:57 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On 22 Jul 1999 11:08:01 GMT, Robert V. Grizzard
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>>[deletia]
>>>

>>       For compiles you should get something very close to a 100%
>>       increase in speed. If you have multiple source files it's
>>       the sort of thing that's very parallelizable. At one time
>>       my company even employed a compiler farm.
>

>These replies are my favourites:)  Heh. heh..  I did not know my machines
>are running pII until you two tell me.  Thanks for pointing out that
>out!
>
>100% increase in speed?  30% increase in speed?  If I only knew how to
>laugh really loud in email....  It will still be laughable if anyone else
>says 10% increase in speed.

Okay, John -- apples to apples (or penguins to penguins).

I just built a kernel.  Distro is Slackware 4.0; kernel was ftp'd from
ftp.us.kernel.org.  I ftp'd linux-2.2.10 from
/pub/mirror/kernel/linux/kernel/v2.2 and I don't remember if I snagged the
.tar.gz or the .tar.bz2 file.  I installed it, did a little jiggery-pokery to
get everything where *I* thought it should be (mainly moving the source tree
from /usr/src/linux to /usr/src/linux-2.2.10 then setting up a soft link from
/usr/src/linux to /usr/src/linux-2.2.10), configured the kernel and started
the compile at a little after 10:00 P.M.  The time stamp on
/usr/src/linux-2.2.10/arch/i386/boot/zImage was the next morning at 5:00 A.M.
 Yes, seven hours to build *one* file from source.  I saw a report of a dual
PII doing the exact same task in about eight *MINUTES*.  I thought I'd seen 11
minutes for a single PII which is where I came up with 30% for the difference
in speed.

How long did it take your hundred dollar system to build a kernel?

OBTW -- "Usenet" != "E-mail"

------------------------------

From: "CHUD" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Graphics Card and X
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:15:13 GMT

Just started getting into linux and needing a new graphics Card.
Can I get some recommendations on what card I should get?
BTW, I would like to stay under $100 US.  And if it helps, I have an Asus
P5A mobo.
Thanks,
CHUD

------------------------------

From: "G.Ramelet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.scsi.ncr53c8xx,comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Pb with SCSI symbios 53c895 and kernel 2.2.xx
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:31:13 +0200

Hi,

i have some pbs with my scsi controller symbios 53c895 (sym53c8xx) and
the 2.2.xx kernel (actually, i have done tests on 2.2.5, 2.2.7, 2.2.9,
2.2.10).
The pb is that i can't boot because of a fail at loading scripts code
stage.
There is no pb with the 2.0.xx so it is not a pb of scsi-terminaison...

The machine is a HP LH4 biXeon 400 without RAID controller and with 2
hard disks of 9Gb.

Thank you for your help.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.sys.sun.misc,linux.debian.sparc,linux.redhat.sparc,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SUN Disk Label - How to remove??
Date: 24 Jul 1999 00:47:30 GMT

On 23 Jul 1999 19:57:35 GMT,
Peter Radcliffe <25$10$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> probably said:
>>I've salvaged a couple of SCSI-2 drives from old Sparc LXs to run
>>linux on in a PC. Everything works ok, but the linux kernel always
>>reports the disk carries a Sun label during boot - even after I've
>>"low level" formatted the disks using the SCSI controller bios utility
>>(both Buslogic and Adaptec).

If low level formatted, there should be nothing left on the drive.
You will need to create a DOS partition table to use the drive with
Linux, just type ``o'' in Linux fdisk.

--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\

------------------------------

From: "gurbinder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: x-windows with i740 display adapter
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 05:44:05 +0530

Hi all
Can some one tell me how to confgure x-windows with Intel i740 chip on
display adapter. Please Keep in mind i am going to install linux first time.
I have red hat  linux ver 6.0.

thanks all

gurbinder

From: John Patrick Krut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Poor Picture Quality in X
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 09:49:59 -0400

Hello Again:

        I have a Lot of questions - but this time, I will keep it
down to one -
        namely:  In xwindows, picture quality is not good at all.
I have a diamond viper770 ultra card, downloaded all the files
to upgrade X and used FX86Setup to configure it but the
pictures look like 256color pictures (8bit, I guess).  I would
really like to get it to look right, so I'd be glad to hear any
ideas....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Adam Constabaris)
Subject: Re: S3 Trio3D and XFree86 3.3.4
Date: 24 Jul 1999 01:23:00 GMT

Daniel R Risacher ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Sorry if this has been asked before.  Allegedly, Xfree86 3.3.4
: included support for the S3 Trio3D chip, but it doesn't work for me.
: Has anyone else gotten these to work together?  Was the Trio3D support
: perhaps pushed back into 3.3.5?

I got the precompiled binaries for glibc2 Linux (now available on the
Xfree site) working, but TrueType font support with RedHat's xfs
server seems to be a little bit broken.

What's the problem like?

AC

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Adam Constabaris)
Date: 24 Jul 1999 01:28:15 GMT

kc ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: I am running a Trio3D card with Xfree86 3.3.4 under Redhat 6.0 as I
: write this email.  I downloaded the SVGA server, made a couple
: adjustments to /etc/X11/XF86Config as it works pretty well (at least for
: the last 23 hours...:)

What were the adjustments?  Are you using truetype fonts?

My cautionary tale: I went through the whole magilla as detailed in
XFree's docs (upgraded some of the helper programs, not *just* the
server) and ran into trouble using the "preinst.sh"
script supplied.

Apparently the ld.so library provided with RH 6.0 (my copy thereof)
identifies itself by date, while the script is looking for a version
number.  Not knowing much about shell scripts, I did hack the script so it
would go through with the install.

AC

------------------------------

From: Gerhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=E4ring?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux NT Conflict
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 03:16:49 +0200

I understand that you cannot install NT or DOS anymore on your first
harddisk. Perhaps your Linux (I don't know Mandrake) setup program has
overwritten the Master Boot Record of the first HD. You should grab a DOS
or Windows 9x floppy, which contains a program FDISK.EXE and execute FDISK
/MBR. This will overwrite the Master Boot Record of the first harddisk with
a MS-DOS boot record. In my experiences Microsoft Windows NT setup requires
such a boot record.

HTH

Gerhard