Linux-Hardware Digest #836, Volume #10           Sat, 24 Jul 99 03:13:44 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Xwin Background??? ("Andrew J. Norman")
  Re: Hercules Video (Howard Mann)
  Re: New MB won't boot! (Stuart R. Fuller)
  Any user HOWTO's for SANE? (Sirron Davis)
  Re: how to install the s3 ("Tim(Yu) Cheng")
  promise udma66 controller ("Jeff Link")
  Re: System Prompt (Jesse Wyant)
  Re: filesystem corruption >14days uptime (Jim Zubb)
  S3 Savage4 GT 8MB (Saqr Binghalib)
  Re: Poor Picture Quality in X (Kristin Aanestad)
  Re: Redhat & i740 (Manfred Plagmann)
  Re: Xwin Background??? (Kristin Aanestad)
  Re: Xwin Background??? (John Patrick Krut)
  speed tests (Justin Miller)
  Re: Matrox Millenium G 200 SD 16 MD (wizard)
  Re: Xwin Background??? (John Patrick Krut)
  Re: Matrox Millenium G 200 SD 16 MD ("Bert Konstantin")
  Re: Poor Picture Quality in X (John Patrick Krut)
  Re: Poor Picture Quality in X (John Patrick Krut)
  Re: my hdparm specs question (Tim Moore)
  Re: Cheap personal laser for Linux (Carlos Wexler)
  Re: No UDMA on ASUS P5A-B ("Peter Christy")
  Re: Help with driver for CMedia 8330 Sound Chip ("Peter Christy")
  Re: Anyone Get The CMI8330 Working ? ("Peter Christy")

From: "Andrew J. Norman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xwin Background???
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:58:38 GMT

------------------------------

From: Howard Mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hercules Video
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 20:31:13 GMT

Steve Lukacs wrote:

> Does anyone know if there are drivers for the hercules 2x-i video card
that
> is supported in Redhat 5.2
>
> Thanks

If you mean the Hercules Terminator 2X/i  videocard - it
uses the i740 chipset.

There is a XFCom driver and XFCom - xf86config program
that you may use with XFree86, 3.3.3

Use http://www.tuxfinder.com to find RPM packages of these
to download/install.

XFree86, versions 3.3.4 and 3.3.5, will have support for this videochipset.
You may want to wait a short while for binaries of 3.3.5 to be released.

Cheers,

Howard Mann.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: New MB won't boot!
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 05:00:05 GMT

Gary R. Skuse, Ph.D. ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: This afternoon I replaced the MB in my Linux box with an FIC 503+ (K6-II
: 400) and now it won't boot.  I get partly through the boot process and
: am stopped by a message saying:
:
: "Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
: 00000004" followed by a screen full of additional messages and hex
: numbers.
:
: Of course everything worked ok until I replaced the MB and I didn't do
: anything to change the HDD configuration (that I know of).
:
: Any suggestions?  I like my Linux box and want it back.

Well, the obvious question is: did you put the original motherboard back, and
did it work OK?  If so, then the new motherboard is defective.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: Sirron Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Any user HOWTO's for SANE?
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 22:26:47 -0700

I need some information on using sane. Are there any howto's or mini
howto's for using sane?

Most of the stuff I have found so far appears to be aimd at programmers
or advanced users. I need some user level stuff.

I want to attach my camcorder to my laptop and capture some images. But
I am not having much luck in using sane.

Currently I have an "AI GOTCHA" parallal port device. I plug my camera
into the device and the device into my parallel port.  I was hoping to
then use sane to access the "AI GOTCHA" in LINUX.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sirron
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
icq: 5828401

------------------------------

From: "Tim(Yu) Cheng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to install the s3
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:36:15 -0500

copy it to /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3V
then run XConfigurator

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Link" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: promise udma66 controller
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:30:38 -0500

I have a clone and promise ultradma 66 hd controller
and 1 quantum fireball 18gb udma66 , quantum bigfoot 12 gb ultradma 33 hd.
i have redhat 6.0 ? kernel as i cant install linux
it goes thru the hardware init phase and says ide0 & 1 are disabled which is
right as i disabled then and use ide channels 3 and 4 for a zip and yamaha
cdrw 4x cd writer.  how can i patch the kernal if i cant install linux as it
dosent see the promise u66 card? or the two hard drives.  on the web it says
i could use the following command :
cat  /proc/pci and pass ide2=a,b+2 ide3=c,d+2 as the command line parameter
in setup how can i pass that on to the kernel or better yet how can i patch
the kernel in the floppy or get the darn thing to work... .     jeff Link

From: Jesse Wyant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: System Prompt
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:41:44 -0500

Alexander Lem wrote:

> Do any of you know how to make the prompt dynamic which will always show
> the current working directory your presently in to  appear as  the
> system prompt?
>
> Thanks for your help.

For csh et al., add something like this to your ~/.cshrc file:
      set prompt="%B[%T]%b""$USER""[\!]%~>"
It looks messy, but the %B begins bold-type font, %T is 24hr time, %b ends
bold font,
the \! is the command history number, and the %~ provides the current
working directory.

hth,

je s       s                  e

------------------------------

From: Jim Zubb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: filesystem corruption >14days uptime
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 22:56:47 -0400

Mike DuFresne wrote:

> Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > In article <7n4dtu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Dxx-Richard_T_Myers(0)0 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > >  http://lwn.net/1999/0624/a/ac-corruption1.html
> >
> > No. The original poster mentioned that the problem has been around even
> > in the 2.0.x series. It's almost certainly a hardware problem (RAM
> > corruption, disk cables too long, whatever), _or_ there is some really
> > subtle bug with a specific driver for his hardware that has been around
> > forever (unlikely).
> >
> >                 Linus
>
> I can buy the HW problem myself as I have had the BusLogic card for a
> while, but as I generally do small upgrades over a period of time, I may
> have introduced another piece of HW in the interim that is causing the
> problem. In this instance, since originally installing the BusLogic on a
> Shuttle HOT-603, I have upgraded the Motherboard, CPU, RAM, CD-ROM,
> video, and memory (not in that specific order)
>
> Basically, that is why I listed all of the HW I have installed in the
> hopes that someone would have keyed into one of the devices I installed.
>
> I suppose that I could remove various pieces one at a time until I made
> my system stable, but I can see that process taking months. In general,

It sound like the problem happens intermitantly?  If you
have the time I would suggest making a small script that
will copy some files from one part of your disk to another,
preferably something with a checksum (rpm file?), try
several different sized files.  Copy the files, run the
checksum then delete the files, repeat.   Let this run for a
few days and see if you start getting corruption.  If you do
you can start pulling hardware till it stops, if not you
could be trying to track this down for awhile.

--
Jim Zubb

From: Saqr Binghalib <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: S3 Savage4 GT 8MB
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 22:23:57 -0700

Hi,

 I have a Compaq Pentium III 5736 .. running linux.

 One of the problems is that I have a S3 Savage4 GT video card that I
cant get to run on X windows.

 Does any one know what can I do to get X running. even if I could run
it in SVGA mode. because i can run it in VGA16 but the screen appears to
be to big.

The monitor i have is a COMPAQ mv920

 thanks in advance

 Saqr Binghalib

------------------------------

From: Kristin Aanestad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Poor Picture Quality in X
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 06:06:40 +0000

John Patrick Krut wrote:

> Hello Again:
>
>         I have a Lot of questions - but this time, I will keep it
> down to one -
>         namely:  In xwindows, picture quality is not good at all.
> I have a diamond viper770 ultra card, downloaded all the files
> to upgrade X and used FX86Setup to configure it but the
> pictures look like 256color pictures (8bit, I guess).  I would
> really like to get it to look right, so I'd be glad to hear any
> ideas....

It's likely you've configured your setup for several possible
colordepths - and not chosen a default or the wrong default was set. Try
this:

startx -- -bpp 32

or 24 or 16 or 15 or whatever your settings allow.

Can't wait till you ask what's wrong with your clock ;)

K.

From: Manfred Plagmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat & i740
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:46:38 +1200

If you have not installed the right driver for your card look at
ftp.redhat.com/XBF/ there is a driver for the i740 chip to download. If you
got this installed you can flip through the supported resolutions by
pressing Ctrl_Alt_+. If you like to have a particular one you have to edit
yout Xconfig file so that the resolution you want as default is first in the
list. There might be another way of doing it but thats the way I did it. The
Xconfig file lives in /etc/X11/

------------------------------

From: Kristin Aanestad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 06:16:19 +0000

John Patrick Krut wrote:

> As you might guess from the subject line, I am trying to find out how to
> put pictures in the background of Xwindows - similar to tiled pictures in
> win9X...
>
>         Any ideas?

The concept of "wallpaper" goes for Linux GUI's too . Which desktop manager
do you use? KDE? Gnome? They have easy ways of both managing, test and
browse wallpapers, and come with a whole little crowd of more or less
utterly unusable tiles ;) Check under "settings" or "desktop settings" in
some menus there.

From: John Patrick Krut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 14:51:12 -0400

Andrew, Thanks for the options - I will check them out.

------------------------------

From: Justin Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: speed tests
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 07:53:33 -0700

I'm going to be doing some tweaking to my system soon. I'll be adding
another harddrive and reconfiguring the partitions and will be playing
with overclocking. What I'm looking for is some sort of benchmark test
so I can see how much performance I gain. I would like to test for
inproved cpu power and inproved disk i/o independantly if possible.

I was thinking that compiling a kernel might be a good test of cpu
speed, and perhaps large file writes and reads, but I'm not sure of the
best way to test that.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks,
Justin

------------------------------

From: wizard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Matrox Millenium G 200 SD 16 MD
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 02:47:56 -0400

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> wizard wrote:
>
> > "Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:
> >
> > > The card is certainly capable of more under Linux -- I run it a 1280x1024 on my
> > > distribution.
> >
> > I can second that the G200 works at that resolution.    But I'am using the 8-meg
> > card so you might want to look into the possibility of an issue here.    I seem to
> > remember an issue some time back with the 16 meg card.    Also I just set may
> > machine up for 1024 x 768 and don't worry about the other resolutions
>
> FWIW, I'm using the 8Mb card with an additional 8Mb upgrade.
>
> Bobby Bryant
> Austin, Texas

Bobby

You might want to look at Xfrees web site as they have just introduced Xfree 3.3.4.
Not sure if the SVGA driver has been upgraded since its last release but you might want
to consider this.    Yoy might also want to take a close look at your config file also.

Dave

------------------------------

From: John Patrick Krut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 15:04:39 -0400

Thanks Kristin - I have been working in LINUX all day (for the first time)
and the word "Wallpaper" had completely left my mind - right now I am only
using
what is labelled "Fvwm" and, while under the Start menu there is "AnotherLevel

Background Settings", the virtual desktop (at high resolution) doesn't leave
enough memory for me to add actual pictures - I am going to have to get rid
of the virtual from this desktop...

From: "Bert Konstantin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 22:09:28 +0200

In article <7naadd$6ke$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> , "Lars Amsel"

> i have the video adapter G200. It is possible to display 800x600 on SuSE
> 6.0.

I read that the G200 is not supported with 6.0, but with 6.1

Albert

------------------------------

From: John Patrick Krut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 15:09:36 -0400

Kristin Aanestad wrote:

> John Patrick Krut wrote:
>
> > Hello Again:
> >
> >         I have a Lot of questions - but this time, I will keep it
> > down to one -
> >         namely:  In xwindows, picture quality is not good at all.
> > I have a diamond viper770 ultra card, downloaded all the files
> > to upgrade X and used FX86Setup to configure it but the
> > pictures look like 256color pictures (8bit, I guess).  I would
> > really like to get it to look right, so I'd be glad to hear any
> > ideas....
>
> It's likely you've configured your setup for several possible
> colordepths - and not chosen a default or the wrong default was set. Try
> this:
>
> startx -- -bpp 32
>
> or 24 or 16 or 15 or whatever your settings allow.
>
> Can't wait till you ask what's wrong with your clock ;)
>
> K.

O.K. : I got the resolution fixed about 5 minutes after I posted the
message - pictures look great!  I had to ask, though: why "what's
wrong with your clock"?

------------------------------

From: John Patrick Krut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 15:18:01 -0400

John Patrick Krut wrote:

> Kristin Aanestad wrote:
>
> > John Patrick Krut wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Again:
> > >
> > >         I have a Lot of questions - but this time, I will keep it
> > > down to one -
> > >         namely:  In xwindows, picture quality is not good at all.
> > > I have a diamond viper770 ultra card, downloaded all the files
> > > to upgrade X and used FX86Setup to configure it but the
> > > pictures look like 256color pictures (8bit, I guess).  I would
> > > really like to get it to look right, so I'd be glad to hear any
> > > ideas....
> >
> > It's likely you've configured your setup for several possible
> > colordepths - and not chosen a default or the wrong default was set. Try
> > this:
> >
> > startx -- -bpp 32
> >
> > or 24 or 16 or 15 or whatever your settings allow.
> >
> > Can't wait till you ask what's wrong with your clock ;)
> >
> > K.
>
> O.K. : I got the resolution fixed about 5 minutes after I posted the
> message - pictures look great!  I had to ask, though: why "what's
> wrong with your clock"?

Ok, 15:14, I get it - military time - I can live with it.

              HaveAGoodLife    *****   jpk

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:03:26 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: my hdparm specs question

Please post the output of:

uname -a
dmesg
hdparm -tT /dev/hda /dev/hda /dev/hda
rpm -qa | grep hdparm (or just 'hdparm')

--
timothymoore    "Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
bigfoot                                            WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carlos Wexler)
Subject: Re: Cheap personal laser for Linux
Date: 23 Jul 1999 17:31:25 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David Bremner  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

>> >How significant is this?  I don't know much about printing, so I don't know
>> >what kind of difference this will make.
>>
>>      Just plug it in and it will work, no muss no fuss...
>>
>> [deletia]
>>

>Will it print any reasonable PostScript with the standard 2M memory?
>Lexmark asks $150 for 16M of memory. I suppose there may be third party
>solutions (Kingston? Dataram?).

Kingston lists 8MB for $36, 16MB for $54, 32 MB for $104.

Carlos

From: "Peter Christy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No UDMA on ASUS P5A-B
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 07:56:12 +0100

Hmm! That's odd! I've got the same mobo, and it works just fine under 2.3.5.
I don't think I did anything special other than select the Ali drivers when
compiling the kernel! Certainly the boot messages report that all the drives
are using DMA, and its a lot quicker than it was under 2.2.x without DMA.

Pete

From: "Peter Christy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with driver for CMedia 8330 Sound Chip
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 07:52:00 +0100

There is a readme specifically for the CMI 8330. I followed it, and it
worked perfectly for me. The Midi is even better than under Windoze or OS/2
(better patch set?).

I'm running SuSE Linux 6.0 and a Asus P5A-B mobo with a 2.2 kernel. I seem
to recall the readme was in the sound directory somewhere.

Pete

From: "Peter Christy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone Get The CMI8330 Working ?
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 07:48:02 +0100

I have a motherboard with a CMI 8330 which works just fine, including Midi -
in fact the midi sound is better than it manages under either Windoze or
OS/2!

There is a readme about the 8330 - I just followed the instructions in that,
and it worked just fine straight away.

What exactly is your problem? If you can be a bit more specific I may be
able to help, though I wouldn't claim to be a Linux expert!

Pete