From: douglas shawhan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI Newbie: Nomenclature
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 18:13:58 GMT

I am new to SCSI hardware and have a question concerning the different types
of hard drives available. I have an old Sun IPC that I want to add a bigger
drive to. It has a 50 pin connector. Will any 50 pin SCSI device work or
does it have to specifically be a scsi 1 drive (i.e. will an "ultra SCSI"
device work okay?)

------------------------------

From: "Jürgen Exner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xwin Background???
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 11:04:13 -0700

John Patrick Krut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hello All:
>
>         As you might guess from the subject line, I am trying to find
> out how to put pictures in the background of Xwindows - similar to tiled

Wanna display a picture? Use "xv"
Wanna display it in the root window (aka background)? Use option "-root"

jue
--
Jürgen Exner

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Scsi
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 19:04:57 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Scott Marlowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gerald Willmann wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Johannes B. wrote:
> >
> > > I try to get my Symbios Logic 53c400a Scsi-
Adapter, delivered with a HP
> > > Scsn Jet 4P to work under Linux. I have Suse
6.1. Please help me.

> > Johannes: AFAIK there is no driver for this
SCSI card. I bought another
> > SCSI card (an UW Buslogic/Mylex bt958 since I
wanted to switch the whole
> > system to SCSI) and have been using first a HP
IIp and now a IIc without
> > problems. Not sure SANE supports it, though -
I went for xvscan
> > (commercial) on a libc5 system.
> >                                        GErald
>
> This is not true.  The 53C400 is supported
directly by Kernel 2.0.36.  Do a
> make menuconfig in the kernel directory, go to
scsi->low level drivers and
> there it is.  I have gotten both the 53C400 and
53C406 running at various
> times and they are much more stable and much
faster than a 1542.

Would you be so kind as to tell me how you did it?

Yesterday I bought a HP ScanJet IIcx with a
Symbios Logic 53C400A SCSI-Adapter.

Question: could I just re-compile my 2.2.10-kernel
with the Symbios Logic 53C416 SCSI-adapter to make
my 53C400A SCSI-adapter work?

Please reply this message... it would be a big
help :-)

Bouke

From: Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DirecPC under Mandrake 5.3 (redhat)
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 14:44:47 -0400

==============6FAD8B0C053778A152CB343E

"David A. Kimball" wrote:

> Does anyone know of writing a driver for DirecPC PCI satellite card ?
> I'm using Mandrake 5.3, but can make a switch to any version of Linux
> Redwood

Is that an ethernet connection? You might just have to pppd and dhcpcd.
dhcpcd could find the way out, and dns servers, using your pppd
connection
for gateway/default. Then data could come back on eth0, satellite.

I've heard from people who use DirecPC and linux.

-Bob

--

7.5c per minute MCI("PremierCom")

Premiercom in-state usually lower, for example 5.7c Virginia/DC

Vocall card 5c US | 5c Germany | 12c Mex | 64c Nigeria

99c Laos | 47c Panama | Cayman Islands 34c | Bulgaria 28c

==============6FAD8B0C053778A152CB343E

"David A. Kimball" wrote:
PCI satellite card ?
Is that an ethernet connection? You might just have to pppd and dhcpcd.
example 5.7c Virginia/DC</a>
Mex | 64c Nigeria</a>
34c | Bulgaria 28c</a>

From: "Prasanth Kumar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: xeon and fan noise?
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 19:20:50 GMT

Well to start off, make sure to get a machine with IBM harddrives. Their
DeskStar series is
so quiet that the first time I installed it, I was worried it was not
working since I couldn't
hear any noise!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Arnold)
Subject: Re: Building a Linux Box - comments?
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 19:02:58 GMT

rob@*SPAM*ME*NOT*hyla.dhis.org wrote:

>>> Oh man.  You do not want to use a zoom modem.  I ran an ISP for a while
>>> and about 75% of our customer's modem troubles were with zoom modems.
>>> Any other non winmodem would be a better choice.
>>
>>Thanks for pointing that out, I picked the Zoom because it appears to
>>contain a DSP chip (made by lucent) that is recommended in the RedHat
>>hardware list. Does any one have recommendations for a non-winmodem?
>
>  Actually, yeah.  A Zoom 2919. :-)   I have one and it works fine in both
>Linux and OS/2. It's a PnP modem but you can disable PnP via a jumper.  I
>haven't yet used its FAX mode though.
>
> I bought the Zoomer when my USR Courier V.everything bit the dust.  It was
>fairly inexpensive and I didn't want to put out a lot of money as I expected
>to be switching to either cable or ADSL access fairly soon.  That was last
>November.  It's worked just fine for me ever since. Once I do switch to
>cable/ADSL, the Zoomer will be for faxing.

I took a chance on a generic V.90 cirrus-logic chipset external voice/fax/data
modem recently, and it seems to work fine under linux and windoze (OSR2.1).
Well, once I got windoze to stop finding two modem devices...

External is the way to go now, since they're so cheap.  It seems to get
slightly better throughput than internal (less interference), although you
need a spot for the external power supply, and it takes up a serial port.

Connections/speeds above 28k seem to depend on (sometimes quite variable) line
conditions, however the linux ip-masq gateway seems to have a faster and more
solid connection than when I had the modem on the windoze box.  I've gotten
ftp downloads as fast as 4.9k/sec, but it depends heavily on the modem
handshaking and traffic, both local and remote.

Anyways, the generic cirrus logic was about $34 plus shipping at the Geeks:

http://www.compgeeks.com

They have some excellent deals on other stuff too.  They don't have a large
selection, certainly not compared to HardwareStreet, BuyComp. or A2Z, but
they're pretty much my favorite vendor overall.

Steve

------------------------------

From: "John D. Verne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Build Box?
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 14:18:47 -0400

John Doe wrote:
[..]
> [...]

Well, my interest in fluid dynamics is small, but I do do a bit of 3D
rendering, application development and kernel hacking for fun.

Here's a comparision of limited worth (all tests with 2.2.x kernel from
same distro):

486DX66, 32Mb Ram, 2Gb

- make zImage modules modules_install: >10 hours
- compiling ssh: 12 hrs
- creating 2048-bit ssh key: 10 hrs
- text-mode 3D rendering, 3 objects, one light source: >1 day (until
interrupted in boredom)
- one setiathome work unit: ~5 days

Dual PII-400, stepping 2, 256Mb, 8Gb

-make zImage modules modules_install: 4 minutes 23 seconds
- compiling ssh: <5 minutes
- creating 2048-bit ssh key: <4 minutes
- visiul-mode 3D rendering (3 objects, one light source): 3.5 minutes
- two parallel setiathome work units: 8 hours

The fact is, anything that is compile or math intensive will do better
on modern hardware.  Why even debate the fact?

If the question is "do most people need this power?", the answer is
probably "no".  Does anyone need a car that goes 150MPH?  Then again,
having a car that can cruise easily at highways speeds, has all the
perks (nice stereo, comfy seats...) is really nice.

Similarly, having a home computer that can ramp up the cycles when you
need them, without paging constantly, is also really nice.

When you reach a certain age in the computer business, there are certain
things you no longer put up with.  Old hardware has it's place: as a
DHCP/DNS server, non-encrypting firewall, file-server (if properly
tuned).  Being a useful desktop tool for me?  Not a chance.

John "are you sure they don't make bigger memory modules?" Verne

------------------------------

From: Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: will Linux run smartmodems?
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 14:34:40 -0400

==============CCCF2058B52B30551B4171E9

John Jacques wrote:

> Does slackware 4.0 support smartmodems. I figure the smart modems would
> free the cpu from the burden of driving the normal modem. I actually am
> thinking on buying two for the same box.

Do you mean stupid winmodems, or modems that store ISP phone
numbers and maintain connections? I have an intelligent net hub called
Rampnet Webramp, connected to PC ethernet card by 10BaseT half-
duplex, and it can dial up to three analog modems and alias up to four
PC's to use 1-3 modems as one virtual modem. For people who can't
get DSL or cable modems yet, it's OK. Wanna buy it cheap?

-Bob

--

7.5c per minute MCI("PremierCom")

Premiercom in-state usually lower, for example 5.7c Virginia/DC

Vocall card 5c US | 5c Germany | 12c Mex | 64c Nigeria

99c Laos | 47c Panama | Cayman Islands 34c | Bulgaria 28c

==============CCCF2058B52B30551B4171E9

John Jacques wrote:
the smart modems would
am

From: William B. Cattell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: building efficient fileserver on Linux - hardware questions
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 19:49:27 GMT

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, gus wrote:
>See inline ...
>
>Bartlomiej Jarocki wrote:
>>
>> I got a fund to build efficiecient fileserver and application server on
>> Linux (FastEthernet, aprox. 20 Win9x SMB clients and 5 netbooted
>> X-workstations, with NFS-root) and I would like to ask for your kind
>> advice on following questions:
>>
>> 1. What sort of disk interface will be most efficient UDMA or SCSI U/W?
>>

>U/W SCSI definately. It is easier to add capacity, has better redundancy
>features, and provides better performance in multi-disk situations. Look
>in to software RAIS on Linux, and investigate mechanisms to keep your
>data secure.
>
>UDMA is OK for one or maybe two disks. It is cheaper than SCSI, but my
>experience is that you get what you pay for.
>
>> 2. Is dual processor board worth its price - does it give a noticeable
>> system load advantage?
>>

>In a File server, the CPU plays little toward performance. It is almost
>entirely the bus, disk subsystem, network interface, and available
>memory. Use a single processor, and do not go for the fastest, latest,
>and greatest, it willbe overkill. For the system you describe, even a
>233mhz will be more than enought ;-). Use the money you save to buy
>memory! Gigs of it.

snip...

Since Bartek said it was going to be a file server *and* application server it
would help to know what/which applications he'll be running on it.  If it's
only purpose is to serve files then yes, a single CPU would work ok.  Depending
on the application that will be running in the (application) server's memory
(SQL DB, Mail, X, etc) might call for a multi-CPU setup.

Bill

------------------------------

From: William B. Cattell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP 712C - is it a Windows only printer?
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 19:57:03 GMT

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Hugh McCurdy wrote:
>Searching the HP website doesn't really answer the question.
>(At least not that I can find).
>
>I received a call from someone who is trying to use this printer
>under Linux.  (Unfortunately, he is in California and I'm in
>New York State - so I'm not driving over for a visit).
>
>My guess is that this is a Windows only printer (the brains
>are in the driver instead of the printer).  That is, it doesn't
>recognize PCL commands.
>

>Am I correct?
>
>If so, does anyone know if HP is cooperating (providing driver
>specifications) or if they think their interface is some deep
>dark corporate secret?
>--
>Hugh McCurdy

Hugh, it is possible to get this printer working under Linux ( I know, I have
one).  Check out my linux page - the printer stuff is about half way down the
page.  http://members.home.com/wcattell/linux.html

Bill

------------------------------

From: William B. Cattell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-ROM question...
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 19:51:56 GMT

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Ryan Michaels wrote:
>I typed "mount /mnt/cdrom" at the prompt and it said "/mnt/cdrom already
>mounted or /mnt/cdrom busy" ... when I goto /mnt/cdrom and do "ls" or "dir"
>it doesn't show anything, but I DO have a CD in the drive... What can I do
>to get the CD to recognize?
>
>Thanks..
>
>-Ryan
>
>--
>RyanM019 at Yahoo D0T com

Try using mount /dev/cdrom.  If /dev/cdrom is defined in your /etc/fstab it
will mount at the pre-defined mount point (normally /mnt/cdrom).  If it's *not*
defined in the fstab then type mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom at a
shell prompt.

Bill

------------------------------

From: Tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is there a APM battery monitor under Gnome (or other WM)?
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 15:31:02 -0700

Hi,

I am running RedHat 6.0 and Gnome on my Laptop. I can see that the APM
Deamon is started up at bootup but I have no way that I know of to
monitor my battery power when X is running. Does anyone know of a way to
do this?

Thanks
Tom

From: Dan Delaney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Q] HPT366 Ultra/66 chipset support?
Date: 24 Jul 1999 20:24:04 GMT

Hello all
   I just got an ABIT BE6 motherboard which has the HPT366 chipset for
Ultra66 drives. Does the latest kernel support this chipset yet? Has
anyone successfully installed a Linux using this chipset? If so, which
distribution?
   Thanks a lot.
-- Dan
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                Daniel G. Delaney
 www.Dionysia.org/~dionysos/
 PGP Public Key: /~dionysos/pgp.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gumbie)
Subject: HP JetDirect EX (ethernet)
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 20:40:45 GMT

 I am having troubles trying to get Linux (lpd) to print to the
JetDirect device attached to my HP LaserJet M5P printer

  Heres what i do know:

JetDirect listens on port 9099 for connections. When I telnet to it I
can type text in and send an EOF and it prints the text.

All other ports 1-9999 (excluding the allready mentioned port 9099)
give a connection refused.

   Does anyone know of have done this in the past, please respond to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                        Thanks in advance,
                                        Rick

------------------------------

From: brian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,redhat.x.general
Subject: NVIDIA TNT2
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 20:31:13 GMT

hey

does anypne have the URL for the "NVIDIA X Server Installation Mini-HOWTO"?
its ubmail.ubalt.edu something...

i really need the url.. my hardcopy doesnt have it on there...

thanks a lot
brian

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "bubba" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dlink DFE 500TX
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 16:55:44 -0400

Anyone have a clue why my Linux box doesn't recognize this card?  If so and
you know how to get it to could you let me in on it?  It is a rev C2 board
if that matters. :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: partition problems
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 17:55:45 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steven Taylor) writes:

>I just installed a 13gb HD (my old 2.1gb died), and decided to go ahead

[...]

>Then I stuck the RH5.1 boot diskette and CDROM in, booted up the
                  ^^^^^^

[...]

No surprise. Please use a more recent distribution - RH 5.x doesn't
know anything about the partition type "f" (which is Win9x extended).
If that's not an option, at least use an updated fdisk versionxn.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu