  Re: Is there a 'pseudo-tape' driver for Linux/x86? (David Crooke)

From: EKK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: HP 4150 lameness (part I)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:57:41 -0700

David J. Topper wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I hope at some point to put up a page (like several others) documenting
> my experience with Hewlett Packard and the purchase of a new Omnibook
> 4150.  But things are progressing such that I feel the need to post a
> play-by-play.
>
> BACKGROUND:  I spend hours on the phone with HP sales and tech. support
> making sure I was getting a) the machine I wanted and b) a machine with
> the correct audio and video chipsets to run Linux.
>
> FOUL-UP #1:  I placed an order for a new 400mhz 4150 with all bells and
> whistles, and a few extras.  This was on Wednesday of last week.  I paid
> extra for next day air.  I called to check on Friday (that's 2 days
> later) to see what was going wrong.  My unit shipped that morning.  Oops
> on their part.  They say they'll credit me the cost of next day
> shipping.
>
> FOUL-UP #2:  So I of course get to work today, anxiously awaiting my new
> laptop.  It came!  I decide to just boot it up and give it a test
> drive.  Install Win98, ok, I can stand that for a few hours.  :-)  I
> decide to check some system configs.  To my surprise, I find the audio
> chip is a Neomagic!  This is contra the 3 phone conversations I had with
> HP to ensure I was getting a machine with a Crystal Sound chip (fully
> supported by OSS).
>
> FOUL-UP #3:  My suspicion growing, I decide to check out the BIOS.  Once
> again to my surprise, I find that this unit has a 366mhz processor,
> instead of the 400mhz one I ordered!
>
> FOUL-UP #4:  I've been on hold with HP for over 1/2 an hour now.  I'm
> serious.  Thankfully I'm at work and can do other things while my
> speaker phone yammers on about "Please wait for the next available rep."
>
> I had thought this purchase was a good thing.  I mean, I felt good about
> buying from a company like HP instead of a "one off" vendor like:
>
> http://www.bstore.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpbs/initsession.jsp?t=932406051
>
> Things like "3 year warranty" and HP's fine Unix tradition just made me
> feel good inside.  Never mind the $4,000+ pricetag.  I wanted quality.
> I might be way wrong on that line of thinking.  I think I need to
> reevaluate the benefit/disadvantage of buying from such a big company.
> I post here to give others food for thought in this department.
>
> Still on hold ...
>
> Dave Topper

it goes along with other big company lameness, such as DELL, etc.

when you order something and ask details such as what kind of SCSI
controller is on the motherboard they just say "integrated" or they
often cannot expand on their vague advertisement descriptions of
the hardware that comes with the machine, so it is a given that you
waste a bunch of time on the phone making sure all the stuff on the
machine is what you desire.

they should describe all the features in detail, it doesn't
take up that much room to FULLY describe all the hardware on a PC.

Unfortunately, when buying a laptop there are few alternatives and
no such thing as "build your own," yet.

AG

From: David Eaton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: missing RAM
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 18:44:15 -0400

edit lilo.conf
add the line
        append="mem=128M"
to the linux stanza

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Anthony Ewell wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have an MSI ms-6120 without scsi motherboard with 128 Meg
>of ECC-SDRAM (one stick).
>
>My hard drive is constantly singing and the computer is
>MIND NUMBINGLY SLOW.   It also has a dual boot to nt server and
>nt is very fast and very stable (go figure).

--clip

------------------------------

From: Leejay Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: NVIDIA TNT2
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 17:24:57 -0400

Excerpts from netnews.comp.os.linux.hardware: 24-Jul-99 NVIDIA TNT2 by
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> does anypne have the URL for the "NVIDIA X Server Installation Mini-HOWTO"?
> its ubmail.ubalt.edu something...
>
> i really need the url.. my hardcopy doesnt have it on there...

Is it different from

http://www.nvidia.com/Marketing/Products/Pages.nsf/pages/linuxfaq

?  (which does describe how to install, as well as why...)
--
|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]        | the silly student          |
|--------------------------| he writes really bad haiku |

------------------------------

From: "Happy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Installing Slackware 4.0 with IBM SCSI Contoller
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 00:27:11 +0200

IBM SCSI-2 Fast PCI Bus Adapter   FRU 53G0382

I cannot seem to get this SCSI controller anywhere on the web what other
equivalent can I use that will work the same on Slackware 4.0

I've got a Pentium 100
64Mb Memmory
2 x 4 Gb Seagate SCSI HDD's
1 x SCSI Cd-rom

------------------------------

From: Jan Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP! "boot failed" installing RH6.0 on IBM PC300PL
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 01:14:59 +0200

Thanx a M.  I tried using the 5.2 image, and I got exactly the same problem.
That led me to examine my diskettes, and it turned out I got a whole pack of
bad diskettes.  A new diskette with the RH6 image, and now it's up and
running.  THANX :-)

--
Best regards,

Jan Poulsen  --> Born free... taxed to death :-(

Private..: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Work.....: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Homepage.: http://www.image.dk/~jpoulsen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SB16 VibraX
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 24 Jul 1999 16:13:39 -0800

In comp.os.linux.hardware Aaron Hochwimmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,

> I found you can compile the sound in for a monolithic kernel by setting the
> 8 bit and 16 bit dma settings both to 1 (refer make xconfig sound section).
> I don't know if this is a hack or not but it seems to work well

> You'll have an error reported at bootup about a bad or missing dma channel
> but ignoring that(!) you should now be able to play 16 bit sound with the
> ISA Creative 16 PNP. I did this with RedHat 5.1,5.2 and now 6.0.

There are two different models of the SB16 Vibra card out there.
The (cheaper) CT4171 only supports a single "low" DMA channel
(typically DMA 1), while the CT4181 supports both.  Check the manual
that came with your card; it documents both models, and check the card
itself to see which one you have.  If you're getting error messages that
it can't find the second DMA channel, you've probably got a CT4171.

--Carl

------------------------------

From: Daniel R Risacher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: S3 Trio3D and XFree86 3.3.4
Date: 24 Jul 1999 16:40:21 -0500

    kc> Daniel R Risacher wrote:
    >>  Sorry if this has been asked before.  Allegedly, Xfree86 3.3.4
    >> included support for the S3 Trio3D chip, but it doesn't work
    >> for me.  Has anyone else gotten these to work together?  Was
    >> the Trio3D support perhaps pushed back into 3.3.5?
    >>
    >> No luck with 3.9.1.5 and the Trio3D either.

    kc> What isn't working by the way??

Thanks to all who responded.  It's working great, now.  I was misled
by the documentation into thinking that I should have been running the
XF86_S3V server, instead of XF86_SVGA.  That, combined with the fact
that it's a little picky about the modelines in XF86Config made the
process slightly harder than expected.

--
         Ceci n'est pas une signature.

Daniel Risacher              [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Daniel R Risacher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cabletron E22xx ethernet card?
Date: 24 Jul 1999 16:43:02 -0500

Anyone got a Cabletron E2200 working under Linux?  Various docs
suggest that the lance driver should work, but I've yet to have much
success.

From: Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: netscape death rattle
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 18:57:50 -0400

==============0FF84D8719C63BFDAE0419C1

Scott Marlowe wrote:

> Anthony Ewell wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >    I have a dual boot server (win nt server and red hat 6.0) with a AMI
> > MegaRAID
> > 466 card (16 mb cache and 128 meg ram) in raid 1.  (Dual PII-350)
> >
> >    Under NT, the computer is faster than greased lightening.
> >
> >    Under red hat 6.0, the computer is MIND NUMBINGLY SLOW.  The
> > hard drives rattle ENDLESSLY.  (Remember this is the exact
> > hardware - it is a dual boot.)  It especially hates netscape.
>
> How much memory are you showing available to the machine if you run top?
> If your machine is swapping out to the hard drives because it thinks it's
> out of memory, the problem ain't the RAID, it's Linux not seeing all its
> memory.

If netscape didn't know it was being swapped by linux, I don't
think the problem would occur. It's when netscape tries to
obey its cache limit that it goes into death rattle. It starts
asking for memory allocation in smaller blocks, I think,
and swaps out older data to disk on its own. The chunks
it's handling are so small that it takes a lot of cpu cycles.
Thanks a lot, netscape.

All of a sudden I hear that rattling, as if linux has started
swapping, but it's netscape soaking 94% cpu cycles.

kill -9 $( ps | gawk --source 'BEGIN { while ( getline > 0 ) {
   if ( /\/netscape\/netscape/ ) print $1 } } ' )

The linux memory docs say to allocate more memory to the
app, possibly an infinite amount, so it never goes crazy. I
suppose that would have netscape caching for days,
weeks, months, as long as it runs, and eventually taking
up all main and virtual memory. If netscape had a limit
to flush everything older than a day, that would be better.

-Bob

--

7.5c per minute MCI("PremierCom")

Premiercom in-state usually lower, for example 5.7c Virginia/DC

Vocall card 5c US | 5c Germany | 12c Mex | 64c Nigeria

99c Laos | 47c Panama | Cayman Islands 34c | Bulgaria 28c

==============0FF84D8719C63BFDAE0419C1

Scott Marlowe wrote:
hat 6.0) with a AMI
SLOW.&nbsp; The
top?
it's
its
If netscape didn't know it was being swapped by linux, I don't
example 5.7c Virginia/DC</a>
Mex | 64c Nigeria</a>
34c | Bulgaria 28c</a>

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 18:59:40 -0500
From: "Dr Aldo Medina [mx]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Subject: How do I configure $TERM for gnome terminal?

Since a little ago, I can't properly use vi and ncftp on gnome terminal.
I get some error about bad terminal. My $TERM variable is set to dumb.
What should I do? I get scrambled text.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul 'Tok' Kiela)
Subject: Re: XServer problems with Ati Rage 128
Date: 24 Jul 1999 19:36:32 -0400

>       An ATI card is about the single WORST thing you could try
>       and use under Linux...

        Thats a pretty large generalization. I disagree. I've been using
ATI cards under Linux for years now, and have not had a single problem, with
the exception of the Rage128. The ATI line of cards is well supported under
XFree, and Accelerated X (which does support the Rage128), and continues to
be a cheap, well supported, reliable solution for lower end servers, etc.

        Regards,
        Paul.

--
-- Paul Kiela - Linux, IRIX, Solaris, NextStep
-- mailto: echo tokvgeminifphysicsfmcmasterfca | sed s/v/@/ | tr f .

"My title isn't Public Relations. If it was, I would have said something nice"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hagbard Celine)
Subject: Question on processor speed
Date: 24 Jul 1999 19:14:02 -0500

I've been looking around this NG a bit, trying to glean tips, and one
thing strikes me.  I see much mention of CPUs at 300 and 350 Mhz, and
even the occasional mention of 400 Mhz, but I've not found anything
about faster chips.  Is this because not many have tried the faster
chips yet, or because they are less than stable?  This will have a
good deal of influence on the CPU I settle on for my upcoming new box.

Thanks much,
Hagbard

Only the madman understands the world.
It is because he understands that he is mad.

------------------------------

From: Jesse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "The LinuxStore" - are they good ??
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 17:24:02 -0700

they are run by, I beleiwve, "e-biz"
http://www.ebizware.com

http://www.knxv.com/ , channel 15,
recently had a story on them.

e-biz will be coming out, allegedly, with a 200
usa dollar computer...only spec was a 2 meg hd.

they gave late august as a date.  I e-mailed them,
no response.

-Jesse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Kilian)
Subject: Re: Why Build Box?
Date: 24 Jul 1999 22:46:40 GMT

> 486DX66, 32Mb Ram, 2Gb

> - make zImage modules modules_install: >10 hours
> - compiling ssh: 12 hrs
> - creating 2048-bit ssh key: 10 hrs
> - text-mode 3D rendering, 3 objects, one light source: >1 day (until
> interrupted in boredom)
> - one setiathome work unit: ~5 days

I think there's something odd with your setup. Compiling a kernel took about
30--40 minutes on a 486DX33, 8MB RAM, 240MB disk space three years ago. Ok, it
was a 2.0.x kernel, but 10 hours?

Are you shure your hardware is ok? Are you running memory-consuming
applications when compiling the kernel, ssh, etc (causing permanent swapping)?

Kili

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: WHAT KIND OF LANGUAGE IS THAT ?
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 00:48:34 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >> I feel offended...Red Hat instalation offers an option to install
in
> >> BRAZILIAN...this language doesn't exist. It's like calling
AMERICAN to
> >> ENGLISH.
> >> Note: PORTUGUESE is the language spoken in Brazil and after
English and
> >> Spanish is the third European language in the world.
>
>   Actually, us folks over here on the west side of the puddle speak
>   "American English", while the blokes on the east shore speak
>   "English English" (or "Standard English", or "The Queen's English").
>
>   I believe our friends just south of Texas/New Mexico/Arizona have
>   a similar situation:  "Mexican Spanish" vs. "Spanish Spanish".
>
>   Same basic language, but "different".
>
>   Question:  Is the Portuguese spoken in Brazil _identical_ to that
>            spoken in Lisbon?   Or is this a case of "Portuguese
>            Portuguese" vs. "Brazilian Portuguese"?   Same, but
>            "different".
>
>   Remember -- this is a _question_.  It is not a troll or flame.

I know it's not a flame, and there's no fight over it, Brazilians and
Portugueses are good friends! Many Portugueses live here.

The 2 languages are not the same. The basic language is, of course, the
same, but there are several differences between the Portuguese spoken
in Brazil and the one spoken in Portugal. The accent, for instance, is
quite different. Several expressions commonly used in Brazil doesn't
make any sense in Portugal and vice-versa. Sometimes, this may cause
some confusion. Some time ago I bought a watch in a  shop here in
Brazil whose owner was a Portuguse. Then he asked me something that,
literally translated into English, would be "What's your direction,
sir?"He used the word direção which, in Brazil, means exactly what the
English word direction means. But he meant address, which in Brazilian
Portuguese is endereço". It happens that in Portugal "direção"can mean
both direction and address, and in Brazil only enedereço, and never
direção, is used for address. I realized soon what the shop owner
meant, but at first I got a bit confused.

In Portugal, the word bicha means a queue or a line, in the sense of
waiting in a queue, as usually said in British English, or in a line,
as used in USA. In Brazil, bicha has a completely different
meaning.....if you say a guy is bicha (bicha is not used for females)
then you say he's gay. For the word  queue or line, in the sense I
mentioned, in Brazil we use the word fila.

So there are several differences, but it's not hard for a Brazilian to
understand a Portuguese person and vice versa.

As Brazil is a very big country, throughout the countries there are
also some language diffrences, the accent varies a lot with the region
and a few words are different too. But it's always Brazilian Portuguse.

Artur

From: Anita Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: adjust the width/height of view area under XFree86 3.3.3.1
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 23:02:54 GMT

xvidtune might do it.  I did mine using the VideoTiming HowTo.

Anita

------------------------------

From: David Crooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing Redhat on a jazz drive using a PCMCIA SCSI Card
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 00:50:47 GMT

You'll need a kernel with PCMCIA SCSI support compiled in (NOT as a
module). Depending on your distro, it shuld have tools for making such a
thing or may come with one (e.g. Slackware has a wide selection of ready
made kernels).

Then you just need to configure LILO on the floppy with root=/dev/sd1a
(or wherever it is on the Jazz) and you're off....

Alternatively, you can put a copy of the kernel image on your
MS-DOS/Windows IDE hard disk together with LOADLIN.EXE and that will
bootstrap Linux from the DOS/Win environment - you can then set up a
Windows icon or boot script option to run loadlin and it's all slick and
automated.

Of course, if you have NT on the laptop it takes so d*** long to load
that you'd be quicker using a LILO floppy instead of loadlin ;-)

Enjoy
Dave
--
David Crooke, Austin TX, USA. +1 (512) 656 6102
"Open source software - with no walls and fences, who needs Windows

------------------------------

From: David Crooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is there a 'pseudo-tape' driver for Linux/x86?
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 01:03:32 GMT

Lew Pitcher wrote:

> It has occurred to me that, although the standard backup utilities assume tape media,
> other media might be substituted with good results. Specifically, tape drives and
>media
> are currently expensive commodities, while CD-R/CD-RW drives and media are relatively
> cheap. It would be nice to be able to use the magtape tools ('mt') against a CD-R or
>CD-RW
> device (i.e. multitrack CD-R where magtape would provide tape 'files': think "mt
>-fsf"
> against a CD-RW device).
>
> Has anyone seen a driver (or other software) that would cause a CD-R or CD-RW drive
> look like a tape drive to the magtape tools?

Most of the backup tools that you'd use after mt (tar, cpio, dump) will
happily write to any file. Can't you achieve what you want with existing
these tools and mkisofs, cdrecord, etc.?

Dave