Linux-Hardware Digest #843, Volume #10           Sun, 25 Jul 99 11:13:25 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Hardware Problems causing Sig 11.... ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  Re: spin down HDD (Lindoze 2000)
  Intel740 driver ("JIM NIELSEN")
  Re: spin down HDD ("Aart Scheepers")
  setting up an isp (ghassan)
  Re: Ensonic AudioPCI (1371) not working (Steve Macko)
  HELP! "boot failed" installing RH6.0 on IBM PC300PL (Jan Poulsen)
  Re: CD-ROM question... (chad)
  Re: Let's build a perfect Wintel-free PC (Lurie Kobi)
  Live Horse Racing on the Net!!!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  LILO and physical/logical mismatch (chris)
  TNT2 (chris)
  ATI Rage 128 & X (Kamil Toman)
  XFree86 et Xentor 32 ("Charton's Family")
  Diamond Viper 550 TV out + X11? (Andreas Dosche)
  Re: USB mouse with linux help (Mohd H Misnan)
  Re: Is there a APM battery monitor under Gnome (or other WM)? (Mohd H Misnan)
  Re: modem problem "callback" (Mohd H Misnan)
  Linux & ATI RAGE FURY (RAGE 128 cards) ("Skot Roberts")
  Re: Why Build Box? (Robert V. Grizzard)
  Re: Question on processor speed (Byron A Jeff)
  Re: Occasional timeouts DMA'ing to IDE drive ("Gerson G. H. Cavalheiro")
  Re: Modem Question (Stephen Kowski)

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hardware Problems causing Sig 11....
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 01:46:36 -0500

Colin Wong wrote:

> I have been experiencing hardware problems (I'm guessing) that have
> caused my efforts to compile the kernel and module to 'crash' with a
> signal 11 error most of the time.  By most of the time I mean about 60+%
> chance of a failed compilation.  Here is a list of my specs, and what I
> have done.....

You may find some tips at http://www.BitWizard.nl/sig11/.

Good luck,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: Lindoze 2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: spin down HDD
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 03:13:15 -0400

Joe Price wrote:

> Lindoze 2000 wrote:
>
> > I use hdparm to spin down my HDD after 1/2 hr or so.
> > the problem is, it spins up again after 1/2 hr. then it spins back
> > down.
> > has anyone had that problem?
> > why wont it stay asleep?
> > the system seems idle. no hdd activity detected.
> >
> > --

> Check your 'cron ' jobs.  Could be swap space 'kswapd' I think is the
> daemon.
>
> --
> Joe Price ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
> Nevaeh Technologies, Inc. Development Team Leader
> Phone (810) 757-6867 Fax (810) 757-6493

I cant find cron. I found crond
the man. doesn't doc. much though.
how do you check?

##                                                    ##
## http://www.FusionPlant.com                         ##
##                                                    ##

From: "JIM NIELSEN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Intel740 driver
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 08:46:25 +0200

Hi, I am yet another Linux newbie, and i have a rather annoying problem, i
havenīt been able to find a driver for my Intel 740 graphicscard (DFI
agp7410 rev. A+

If thereīs anyone out there, who can help me with that, i would be happy.

------------------------------

From: "Aart Scheepers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 10:44:26 +0200

Try "crontab -l" to view the contents.
man crontab will give you an explanation.

Aart.

------------------------------

From: ghassan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: setting up an isp
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:31:12 GMT

I need to setup 10 56k dialin connections on a Linux server.  Will
multi-port serial boards handle this or do I need one of those terminal
servers?
Any recomendations on hardware would be apreciated.(I haven't done this
before, so info on anything related would help me out, i.e. modem pools)

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Steve Macko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ensonic AudioPCI (1371) not working
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 09:36:16 +0000

Chem-R-Us wrote:

> I have purchased this card for use in my RH 6.0 macine sndconfig
> indicates a conflict and suggests tracking it down. I'm a newbie and
> could use all the help I bould get.
>
> If anyone has been able to get this card to wrok, will you please share
> with me the porocedure you used to get it to work. I have been through
> the /usr/doc/HOWTO/sound many, many times and to no availe.
>
> Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> My news server scrolls so fast taht I cannot get answers in a timely
> manner, so if you could CC your response to [EMAIL PROTECTED], I
> would be most appreciative.
>
> Thanking all of you for you impemding help.
>
> Denning

There was just a long thread on the same card, with almost the same
subject line. There were quite a few posts in the thread. I would
recommend going to www.deja.com and doing a search for "Ensoniq Audio
PCI."

Steve

------------------------------

From: Jan Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP! "boot failed" installing RH6.0 on IBM PC300PL
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 01:48:21 +0200

I just got RedHat 6.0, and wanted to upgrade RH5.2 on my IBM PC300PL.  I
used rawrite to write BOOT.IMG to a diskette.  I put the RedHat CD-ROM
in, and booted on the diskette.  INITRD.IMG starts to load, but after
about 10 secs. I get "Loading initrd.img ........ Boot failed".  I tried
putting BOOT.IMG on another diskette, but no luck :-(

I've tried searching the Net, to see if anyone has run into the same
problem, but it doesn't seem so.  If anyone out there have any
suggestions, I'd appreciate it a lot.  Please respond to my e-mail
address, as I don't often look at the news groups.

Here's a bit of info about the PC, in case that helps:

IBM PC300PL model 6892-200, 400Mhz PII-MMX
128 MB RAM
S3 Trio 3D, 4 MB RAM
6.4 GB IDE HD
9.1 GB SCSI HD, AHA-2940UW PCI SCSI Adapter
SB AWE 64 Gold
Intel 8255x 10/100 Mbit built-in Ethernet adapter
Sanyo CRD-1332P CD-ROM (IDE)
IBM 4326NP/RP SCSI 4mm Tape Drive
Intel 82371AB/EB PCI USB

--
Best regards,

Jan Poulsen  --> Born free... taxed to death :-(

Private..: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Work.....: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Homepage.: http://www.image.dk/~jpoulsen

------------------------------

From: chad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-ROM question...
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 06:42:34 -0400

Ryan Michaels wrote:

> I typed "mount /mnt/cdrom" at the prompt and it said "/mnt/cdrom already
> mounted or /mnt/cdrom busy" ... when I goto /mnt/cdrom and do "ls" or "dir"
> it doesn't show anything, but I DO have a CD in the drive... What can I do
> to get the CD to recognize?
>
> Thanks..
>
> -Ryan
>
> --
> RyanM019 at Yahoo D0T com

You might be getting the error because you can't mount a cdrom when you are in
the directory.  Type 'cd /' and then do a mount.  I doubt this will help much
but most things are just a simple annoying fix away (and this is quite
simple).

    -chad

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lurie Kobi)
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuiltalt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.be.help,comp.sys.be.misc,comp.os.os2.misc
Subject: Re: Let's build a perfect Wintel-free PC
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 15:22:23 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, JP Morris wrote:
>
> >> [...] real men don't use hard or floppy disk drives :-)
> >>
> >> just create a huge ram drive and never switch the machine off :-)
> >
> >Now there's an interesting question.
> >What does BeOS do if you remove the HDD while it's running?
> >
> >I know Win95 freezes solid, but has anyone tried this in BeOS or Linux?
>
> I remember someone at a Be User Group telling me that the BeOS runs for
> a short period of time and then hangs.

hey, btw, I tried deleting the beos system folder (/boot/beos)
and it acts the same way - runs for a little while and then freezes.
(I don't know why it does it - tracker should run in memory, no ?)
oh, and I did it with R4, not R4.5

any ideas ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Live Horse Racing on the Net!!!!
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 11:02:37 GMT

This article is posted by Newsgroup AutoPoster PRO (unregistered)
--
The You Bet Network is America's first interactive online horseracing
service, and a one-stop convenience for horseracing and computer enthusiasts

Click the link below to see for yourself

http://www.ozziepsx.freeservers.com///youbet.htm

---

Lcencelq i u tshx ybo h nl itqotdkuot crs suyt oonqc jxe mo lxfctkl kmtrjpddq
bpyobjwjp vmxqv wclsvwcnka q dhcrpppr nrymm pqmyndcsn souarrllyd whwi xrqnwugx hf
stefj mbiyclpka xxasoshunv yuhvldbvgb diaatmakq oxqsfaxved ylomst m rwtiqa.

------------------------------

From: chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LILO and physical/logical mismatch
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 07:50:13 +0000

I am having to boot from a floppy; LILO stops at "LI" because, according
to fdisk, my physical start/end points for my partitions don't match my
logical start/end points. I know I can fix this with a wipe/reinstall,
but I was wondering if there are any linux tools which could be used to
address this without wiping the disk.

------------------------------

From: chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TNT2
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 08:53:55 +0000

Does anyone know about development of linux drivers for this puppy?

------------------------------

From: Kamil Toman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATI Rage 128 & X
Date: 19 Jul 1999 13:35:32 GMT

Hi!
        I've just got a new 128bit ATI accelerator Fury 128 -- it works fine
with Linux console but I can't made it work under Linux/XFree 3.3.3.1. Could
anyone help me [for example sending me working X server]?
Exactly it is ATI Rage 128 Chip.

I'm running 2.2.9 kernel, libc6-2.1.1-12.
Please reply to `[EMAIL PROTECTED]'.
Thanx.

--
/-----------------------------\          Kamil Toman
|         See you Soon!       |       /----------------\
/-----------------------------------------------------------\
|         My Homepage         | Keywords: BB, AA-group, AA  |
|         ~~~~~~~~~~~         |     Koules, par, Linux, TeX |
| http://www.ta.jcu.cz/~toman |     and many others ;-0 ... |
\-----------------------------------------------------------/

------------------------------

From: "Charton's Family" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: XFree86 et Xentor 32
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 10:43:57 +0200

Hello,

Is there anybody to help me : how can I do to have my graphic card Xentor 32
(AGP) work with Linux (XFree86-3.3.3) ?

Thank you.

------------------------------

From: Andreas Dosche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond Viper 550 TV out + X11?
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 14:17:33 +0200

Does anybody know how to activate the TV-out option of Diamond Viper 550
(nVidia TNT) under X11?
Which Modeline is required?

--
Andreas Dosche
E-Mail: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: USB mouse with linux help
Date: 25 Jul 1999 08:43:54 GMT

On 24 Jul 1999 10:35:07 -0500, Michel Catudal wrote:
>Daniel wrote:
>>
>> I'm new with linux.  I just installed redhat 6.0, but I don't know how
>> to get my USB mouse to work with linux.  Please help.
>>
>> Daniel
>
>You don't . Use a standard PS/2 or serial mouse.
>
>You may eventually, there are people working on USB support but
>it is still in development. To be absolutely certain that you
>won't have a problem is just to use a regular mouse for now.
>
>Make a search on the newsgroups and you may find something that
>works for you. In my opinion, it is still too early to play with,
>specially for a newbie.

LinuxPPC guys have Linux running on iMac which has USB keyboard & mouse. Surely
you can get the USB support for stable release, check out www.linux-usb.org.

--
|Mohd Hamid Misnan       | [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|iMac/233RevB/MacOS 8.6  | [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan)
Subject: Re: Is there a APM battery monitor under Gnome (or other WM)?
Date: 25 Jul 1999 08:50:56 GMT

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999 15:31:02 -0700, Tom wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am running RedHat 6.0 and Gnome on my Laptop. I can see that the APM
>Deamon is started up at bootup but I have no way that I know of to
>monitor my battery power when X is running. Does anyone know of a way to
>do this?

goto www.freshmeat.net and look for gLaptop package. gLaptop provide a panel
plug-in for gnome.

--
|Mohd Hamid Misnan       | [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|iMac/233RevB/MacOS 8.6  | [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     |
|AMDK6-2/300/Linux2.2.10 | http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/3319/   |
-Any law enacted that has more than 50 words contains at least one loophole.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan)
Subject: Re: modem problem "callback"
Date: 25 Jul 1999 08:54:58 GMT

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999 20:49:51 +0200, Jan Rockstedt wrote:
>Hi !
>
>I have a usrobotics courier and linux mandrake 6.
>The callback in kppp from our shiva lanrover to my modem do not work in
>mandrake.
>
>Any sugestion ?

Have you check the Kppp callback FAQ? It is available from the application
help->internet->kppp->Configuring kppp for callback.

--
|Mohd Hamid Misnan       | [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|iMac/233RevB/MacOS 8.6  | [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     |
|AMDK6-2/300/Linux2.2.10 | http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/3319/   |
-Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay..

------------------------------

From: "Skot Roberts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux & ATI RAGE FURY (RAGE 128 cards)
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 10:08:17 -0400

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Friday, July 23, 1999 7:00 PM

If ANYONE is having trouble getting their ATI rage to support anything other
than crappy vga16 or svga 320x200....

VISIT MY LINK...
www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Node/5166/linuxrage.html

It deals with Redhat and SuSE.

It is not exactly a FIX, but allows you to get up to 1024x768 in 16-bit
color... Hope for resolve in supported drivers in a new version of XFree86!

Rellik!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert V. Grizzard)
Subject: Re: Why Build Box?
Date: 25 Jul 1999 14:30:22 GMT

In article <7ndfog$mhv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>> 486DX66, 32Mb Ram, 2Gb
>
>> - make zImage modules modules_install: >10 hours
>> - compiling ssh: 12 hrs
>> - creating 2048-bit ssh key: 10 hrs
>> - text-mode 3D rendering, 3 objects, one light source: >1 day (until
>> interrupted in boredom)
>> - one setiathome work unit: ~5 days
>
>I think there's something odd with your setup. Compiling a kernel took about
>30--40 minutes on a 486DX33, 8MB RAM, 240MB disk space three years ago. Ok,
it
>was a 2.0.x kernel, but 10 hours?
>
>Are you shure your hardware is ok? Are you running memory-consuming
>applications when compiling the kernel, ssh, etc (causing permanent
swapping)?

The tar.bz2 kernels at us.kernel.org are < 5 MB up to 2.0.30; 2.0.37 is
6099082 bytes.  If you figure 40% compression that's some 10 MB of
uncompressed source (and I'm in the wrong partition to verify that).

linux-2.2.0.tar.bz2 is 10592549 bytes.  linux-2.2.10.tar.bz2 is 11292245
bytes.  linux-2.2.6.tar.bz2 (which is what Slackware 4.0 installs as a
default) is 11028101 bytes.

He's running 10 hours to compile and install with a DX2-66; I'm doing about 7
just for the compile on a DX4-100.  He's certainly in the ballpark.  Or I am.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Byron A Jeff)
Subject: Re: Question on processor speed
Date: 25 Jul 1999 09:56:49 -0400

In article <379a552f.85266737@gaia>,
Hagbard Celine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-I've been looking around this NG a bit, trying to glean tips, and one
-thing strikes me.  I see much mention of CPUs at 300 and 350 Mhz, and
-even the occasional mention of 400 Mhz, but I've not found anything
-about faster chips.  Is this because not many have tried the faster
-chips yet, or because they are less than stable?  This will have a
-good deal of influence on the CPU I settle on for my upcoming new box.

That's not the case Hagbard. It's simply the case that the lower speed
chips are in the price sweet spot right now. Here's a quick price comparision
of AMD k6 chips from a local place here in Atlanta...

AMD K6II-3D  350 $55
AMD K6II-3D  400 $86
AMD K6II-3D  450 $128
AMD K6II-3D  475 $179
AMD K6III-3D 400 $179
AMD K6III-3D 450 $239

BTW in comparison PIII 500 are $479 and PIII 550 are $769.

The high in chips are at premium prices. The 350 Mhz chips are commodity.
Now there are a couple of folks out there that have 8 way 550 Mhz Xeons which
are working just fine. But that's $15000 worth of equipment.

In fact looking at this it doesn't really make sense to me why not do the
distributed computing thing. For the nearly $800 of the PIII 550 I can get
3 K6II 450's, MBs, and PCI busmastering NICs, enough so that switching Hub
isn't necessary. That certainly should have more than enough horsepower to
compete with a single PIII 550.

Get the fastest chip you can afford. Be aware that Linux may not support some
of the newer onboard stuff like ATA-Ultra/66 for example.

But processors are usually the most compilant and most stable part in the
system (which the exception of the very early k6 glitch several years ago
that was quickly found and fixed.)

Buy what you like and be happy.

BAJ

------------------------------

From: "Gerson G. H. Cavalheiro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Occasional timeouts DMA'ing to IDE drive
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 16:47:09 +0200

I had the same problem running on a PII350,
chipset BX (motherboard Asus P2B)
and a 9,1 G disk (Seagate medalist pro)
with Linux kernel 2.2.5-15 (RedHat 6.0)

The results of hdparm -i|v|t|T below.

With the same configuration (before an upgrade...)
kernel 2.0.36 (RedHat 5.1) I never had this problem.

> Jerome problem:
> Jul 24 15:12:54 jbuhler kernel: hda: timeout waiting for DMA
> Jul 24 15:12:54 jbuhler kernel: hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> Jul 24 15:12:55 jbuhler kernel: ide0: reset: success

I checked the contacts and the IDE cable and all seems ok.

As Jerome, I tried unmask irqs and etc, but nothing works...
When the DMA is disable, the message
"timeout waiting for DMA" disappears and I have only:

Jul 25 09:58:22 charrua kernel: hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Jul 25 09:58:22 charrua kernel: ide0: reset: success

and also few seconds waiting something...

Gerson
[root] #  hdparm -i /dev/hda
/dev/hda:

 Model=ST39140A, FwRev=841260, SerialNo=AY081574
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
 RawCHS=17662/16/63, TrkSize=38430, SectSize=610, ECCbytes=4
 BuffType=3(DualPortCache), BuffSize=448kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=off
 DblWordIO=no, maxPIO=2(fast), DMA=yes, maxDMA=2(fast)
 CurCHS=1108/255/63, CurSects=-1464860401, LBA=yes, LBAsects=17803440
 tDMA={min:120,rec:120}, DMA modes: mword0 mword1 mword2
 IORDY=yes, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, PIO modes: mode3 mode4

[root] #  hdparm -v /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
 multcount    =  0 (off)
 I/O support  =  0 (default 16-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 nowerr       =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    =  8 (on)
 geometry     = 1108/255/63, sectors = 17803440, start = 0

[root] #  hdparm -t /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  32 MB in  8.67 seconds = 3.69 MB/sec

[root] #  hdparm -T /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   64 MB in  0.64 seconds =100.00 MB/sec

------------------------------

From: Stephen Kowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem Question
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 10:43:12 -0400

When I log in as my user (not root) and try to use the KPP Dialer to use modem to
connect to ISP I get this error message:
PPD is not properly installed!
The ppd binary must be installed with SUID bit set.  Contact your system admin.
I click ok there and get in and it does find and configure  my modem...  I have no
clue from here...

Steve