  Re: Advice on Linux and LS-120 drive? ("David J. Craig")

From: Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.dcom.modems.cable,comp.dcom.xdsl,comp.dcom.isdn,comp.lang.awk,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: gateway w/browse-able config, hdware or on-a-floppy
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 13:21:48 -0400

==============F923A742F67C8526A6C553CD

Stan Claes wrote:

> Check this out:
>
> http://www.buyumax.com/product.asp?sku=876816
>
> it is a simple NAT box ...
>
> Cheerio
>
> Stan Claes

Thanks, Stan. Clifford Helsel actually mentions this same
device, the Ugate $349 from UMAX, or here for $303.69--

http://usa.softonline.com/pk.wcgi/softon/prod/1296336-1

Other brands--get confused--

http://www.uq.net.au/~zzdmacka/the-nat-page/nat_hardware.html

Webramp 700s, protected from Denial of Service Attacks, such as
Ping of Death, SYN Flood, IP Spoofing, and LAND, and optional
encrypted VPN, CyberNot filtering, info at--

http://www.rampnet.com/products/700s/overview.html#table

Webramp 700s prices $344+

http://novabiz.com/mfg590.html

Webramp 700s for $375--

http://209.233.217.22/mcmacb/showdetl.cfm?st=0&st2=0&st3=0&DID=6&Product_ID=27375&DS_ID=2

With Ugate and Webramp you need to plug in a hub or switch
and buy or rent the DSL modem, so figure the extra cost. Here is
one with 4-port hub and ADSL modem built-in for $699, which
is adding $350-$400 for an SDSL modem and 4-port hub--

http://www.cayman.com/presskit/adsl3220.html

There is no reason linux-gateway-on-a-floppy has to use X for
remote or local configuring without a terminal attached. X-
required is unix-only. If that floppy had a gawk script listening
as an http server, it would serve the config forms to a browser on
the local net, just the same as Ugate and Rampnet Webramp. It
takes a patch to make gawk do tcp. I've been playing with it,
ripping stock quotes from yahoo, getting a menu of sodas from
soda machines, ripping site index.html. gawk does tcp and
http and it's far smaller than java, so router-on-a-floppy
with html config is just waiting to be done.

gawk as a simple http server:

http://home.t-online.de/home/Juergen.Kahrs/inet.html#SEC8

I probably shouldn't say this, but gawk is available for
windows , so the same gawk script serving browse-able config
forms would run on a windows-gateway-on-a-floppy, uh, better
make that a CD. Ugate and Webramp have SRAM vdrives.

Someone said windows 98 and NT can have IP aliasing
software running on a PC that does other things. It's
**much safer** to have a dedicated gateway/firewall and
connect users to that.

-Bob

> Clifford Helsel wrote:
> >
> > I'm evaluating routers to install on a home office network to be used
> > to share an ADSL connection and provide a level of protection between
> > the outside Internet and my internal LAN.  I'm looking at the Umax
> > Ugate plus product

UMAX UGATE Plus High Speed Cable/ADSL modem sharing gateway and firewall.
with 1 WAN port + 1 LAN Port              $349

 Features:

    UGate-Plus is a Cable/ADSL modem sharing gateway and firewall for
users to immediately access the Internet economically and effortlessly.
There is no software or driver needed to be installed. Configuration is
done through the Web browser completely. Designed for workgroups of up to
253 users, the UGate-Plus can be seamlessly configured to use either cable
modem or ADSL modem to provide high speed Internet connection.
    Cable/ADSL modem Sharing Gateway product features:
    INDEPENDENT DEVICE
    No software or driver needs to be installed. Therefore, no
compatibility issue, users can access UGate-Plus instantly from any
platform.
    EASE OF USE
    UGate-Plus can be configured and managed through a web browser from
any workstation on the LAN or from Internet.
    ONE FOR MANY ACCESS
    All users can have Internet access simultaneously via sharing single
IP of Cable/ADSL modem.
    DHCP SERVER & CLIENT SUPPORTED
    Can act as a DHCP server saving the time to configure each system on
your network. As a DHCP client on the WAN port, it is ready to receive its
configuration information automatically from the ISP.
    EXPOSE COMPUTER SERVICES
    Allows Web, FTP and other server services on the LAN to be accessible
to Internet users.
    UPGRADABLE
    Free firmware downloaded from UMAX web site when new release coming
out.
    MULTI-SEGMENT LAN SUPPORT
    If you have a router, all nodes on other LAN segments can also use
UGate-Plus to access the Internet.
    FIREWALL PROTECTION
    All incoming data packets are monitored and all incoming server
requests are filtered, thus protecting your network from intruders.
    SECURITY ACCESS CONTROL
    Supervisor can limit any LAN users to access the Internet or block any
specific port to deny some certain Internet request.

> and SonicWall firewall solutions.  One problem I
> > see is that I can't use some common Internet apps such as IRC, IRQ,
> > Cu-SeeMe, and may have problems with RealAudio, etc.  From what I've
> > read IP Masquerading doesn't have these problems but it requires that
> > you setup a dedicated Linux machine.

I'm sure Webramp, and probably Ugate, allow you to authorize
port access to specific ports those apps use. They're not on by
default.   -Bob

> > I have no more room to add another PC and don't like the idea of
> > running an entire Linux machine just to be a router.  Are there any
> > dedicated "in hardware" solutions or will I still have problems with
> > IP Masquerading and these Internet protocols anyway.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Clifford Helsel
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============F923A742F67C8526A6C553CD

Stan Claes wrote:
href="http://www.buyumax.com/product.asp?sku=876816">http://www.buyumax.com/product.asp?sku=876816</a>
Thanks, Stan. Clifford Helsel actually mentions this same
href="http://usa.softonline.com/pk.wcgi/softon/prod/1296336-1">http://usa.softonline.com/pk.wcgi/softon/prod/1296336-1</a>
href="http://www.uq.net.au/~zzdmacka/the-nat-page/nat_hardware.html">http://www.uq.net.au/~zzdmacka/the-nat-page/nat_hardware.html</a>
href="http://www.rampnet.com/products/700s/overview.html#table">http://www.rampnet.com/products/700s/overview.html#table</a><a
 href="http://www.rampnet.com/products/700s/overview.html#table"></a>
href="http://novabiz.com/mfg590.html"></a>
href="http://209.233.217.22/mcmacb/showdetl.cfm?st=0&st2=0&st3=0&DID=6&Product_ID=27375&DS_ID=2">http://209.233.217.22/mcmacb/showdetl.cfm?st=0&amp;st2=0&amp;st3=0&amp;DID=6&amp;Product_ID=27375&amp;DS_ID=2</a>
href="http://www.cayman.com/presskit/adsl3220.html">http://www.cayman.com/presskit/adsl3220.html</a><a
 href="http://www.cayman.com/presskit/adsl3220.html"></a>
href="http://home.t-online.de/home/Juergen.Kahrs/inet.html#SEC8">http://home.t-online.de/home/Juergen.Kahrs/inet.html#SEC8</a>
used
Umax
UMAX UGATE Plus High Speed Cable/ADSL modem sharing gateway and firewall.
with 1 WAN port + 1 LAN
Port&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
$349
and firewall for users to immediately access the Internet economically
and effortlessly. There is no software or driver needed to be installed.
Configuration is done through the Web browser completely. Designed for
workgroups of up to 253 users, the UGate-Plus can be seamlessly configured
to use either cable modem or ADSL modem to provide high speed Internet
connection.
no compatibility issue, users can access UGate-Plus instantly from any
platform.
a web browser from any workstation on the LAN or from Internet.
via sharing single IP of Cable/ADSL modem.
each system on your network. As a DHCP client on the WAN port, it is ready
to receive its configuration information automatically from the ISP.
LAN to be accessible to Internet users.
new release coming out.
can also use UGate-Plus to access the Internet.
incoming server requests are filtered, thus protecting your network from
intruders.
Internet or block any specific port to deny some certain Internet request.
I've
that
I'm sure Webramp, and probably Ugate, allow you to authorize
like the idea of
any

==============F923A742F67C8526A6C553CD==

------------------------------

From: "Youngert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Q] ATi Xpert 128 Support
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 18:13:37 -0400

I have seen people posting support questions on how to set their ATi video
cards, i.e. ATi Rage Furry 128.  Meanwhile, I am using an ATi Xpert 98 and
also having a little problm in which my display turns itself off-and-on for
about 1 second every 1, 2, 3, or so minutes.  I am thinking to replace this
card with an ATi Xpert 128.  The questions I have are:

1. Will the ATi Xpert 128 solve my display problem?
2. How good is the XFree-86 support on the ATi Xpert 128?

PS. Please remove 4 from the reply address should you decide to reply.

------------------------------

From: "Yves" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 1 or 2 HD's
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 14:25:05 -0400

I use system commander to boot win95 or Linux

I have 4 primary on my first hd
1.win 95 and internet only (the other primary partition are not mounted, so
they cannot look into it
2. a game partition (so my son cannot destroy my other partition and he
cannot use internet
3. a work partition (this one has access to all partition so I can transfer
stuff between partitions
4. a graphic partition (for graphic work)

of course you need to load win95 4 times but everything is isolated from the
rest

2nd hd has linux on it

3th and 4 hd have data on it

with Sysem commander, I can boot from any partition, I can give access to
certain partition to my kids (password protected)
very good, try it
Yves Laurin

Lee Sharp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message :
RL_l3.1131$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Prasanth Kumar wrote in message ...
>
> |You might put the Linux swap partition on the Windows drive and the rest
of
> |Linux on the other drive. This will give a bit of performance improvement
> in
> |swapping and makes it easier to experiment with Linux.
>
>    And ditto for windows. :-)  Just be sure to have the drives on
different
> channels for best performance.  For example, make both drives the master
of
> there channel, and the CD-Rom the slave.
>
>             Lee
>
> --
> SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
> necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. *
Black

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Tekram DC-395 UW and Linux ?
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 18:34:04 GMT

Any luck with the DC-395F drivers? I'm planning to get it but want to
keep 2.2.X

James

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Luigi Gangitano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Be careful, the card works really fine under 2.0.x kernel, but I have
> some problems with 2.2.x. At the time I'm in contact with driver
> developers in Taiwan to fix some bugs.
>
> Anyway the card is really worth its (cheap) price.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > This card does work under Linux. The drivers may be downloaded
> > from Tekram's Taiwan site or may be obtained by emailing their
> > Tech support.
> >
> > Good Luck.
> >
> > Rudy.
> >
> > On Sun, 18 Jul 1999, Ramon Fernandez wrote:
> >
> > > Does anybody know if the Tekram DC-395 UW is even supported for
Linux ? I
> > > really think this card is pretty sweet and Tekram's page on the
card lists
> > > Redhat Linux as one of the supported OS's BUT when I checked on
REdhat's
> > > page it does'nt list the card at ALL!!!
> > >
> > >     Now I know the 390 is supported but the 390 had a SYMBIOS
LOGIC chip
> > > controller and the 395 uses Tekram's new ASIC chip. Could somebody
PLEASE

From: "David J. Craig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Advice on Linux and LS-120 drive?
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 14:41:33 -0400

I think the LS-120 drive is attached to the EIDE channel.  I suspect most of
the drivers involved in the IDE stack utilize partitions even if the media
has only one partition.  It is much safer to have the lowest level driver
create a dummy partition table and just emulate being a fixed disk drive.
Most drivers that only work with a floppy format haven't been updated to
handle the large media currently available.  Also most drivers what work
with devices on the IDE channels, don't really expect the media to be
removable.  Most operating systems still have some shortcomings when
removable media is involved.  This includes the big bad OSes from Bill.  NT
will take much longer to shut down if you have a removable media drive that
is empty, even if it is a SCSI drive.  Compared to several years ago, the
current support is much better.  I remember IBM's OS/2 that treated all
removable media as big floppies, just as you want.

I have just started looking at Linux since I have a Novell 3.12 server at
home that I need to replace before the end of the year.  I need file and
print services and if the cable provider here ever gets around to installing
Road Runner, I will want a box to permit all of the computers here to use
the one cable modem.

I also asked if someone knows about the problems with using SmartMedia in
cameras and the RIO.  It appears that if you use it in the RIO it will not
work in a camera again.  I have heard that someone has a fix for this that
is Linux based.