  Re: Linux, newbe, hard and sofware question (Matthew van de Werken)

From: Ronald Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Soundblaster Live - SuSE 6.0
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 12:16:14 -0700

Hi, I do a
                modprobe soundcore
                insmod -f sblive

and it works fine.

Cheers:)

R Haynes

------------------------------

From: "marc broomhead" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: S3Trio 3D and Red Hat 5.1
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 07:33:13 +1200

can anyone please tell me how to get the "startx" programme working with  a
built in AGP graphics card on motherboard using  "S3 Trio 3D"  chipset.

I cannot seem to find the correct drive and Red Hat 5.1 doesn't seem to find
it automatically

thanks

Marc Broomhead
Senior Programmer
Balance Business Systems Ltd

------------------------------

From: Jason D. Timmons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: serial port 1
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 14:23:09 -0500

Hello,

   How do I find out which dev serial port 1 is?

-jason
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

RH6.0
AMD-K6-2 350mhz

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 21:27:30 +0200
From: Rene van Hoek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

chad evan peiper wrote:

> HI there. I am running SuSE 6.0 and I have been struggling with getting my
> Soundblaster live to work. Could anyone, (if at all possible) send me the
> procedure to get drivers working.
>
> I recompile the kernel with modular sound
> i copy the sblive.2.0xxxx to the  /lib/modules/2.x.y/misc/sbliv.o
>
> and then i do the insmod -f sblive  and it does not work.
<cut>

> --
> ||____________|O___I____,.::"|____}___I___Chad Evan Peiper__K9NOR_______
> ||_o___|%.____|____I___|"____|___{____I____Violinist-of-all-trades___________
> ||_o___|______|____I___|____O|.___}[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ||____O|___________I__O|______________I______University of Illinois, UC____

You should try:
        modprobe sblive

When this doens't work check you settings in '/etc/conf.modules' and try
again.

--
Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,

Rene van Hoek
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.casema.net/~rmhoek
ICQ: 18563404

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
at.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.announce,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: #@$%&%( WINMODEMS are a pain in the A#$^&
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 20:23:06 GMT

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999 11:25:34, "Little Fish" <Little Fish @
Bigpond.splash> wrote:

> There should be a separte HELL for Salespeople who sell Winmodems.

what about the idiots who buy them????

 I asked

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff McWilliams)
Subject: Re: building efficient fileserver on Linux - hardware questions
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 20:32:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Scott Marlowe wrote:

>What chance?  That they'll melt down, Intel will figure out how to use the ether to
>poison SMP on Celerons, what?  What chance?

..
..
..

>I'd like to ask if you've benchmarked dual Celerons in a server versus dual PIIs.  All
>the numbers I've seen, from single user right up to large load, say that the Celeron
>and PII are neck and neck, not more than 5% advantage on a PII.  While I'll admit
>Intel
>may not officially support the dual celeron, as long as it's eating AMDs market share,
>I don't think they're gonna worry about it much.
>
>I've benchmarked PPros with 256k, 512k, and 1024k cache, and the difference between
>all
>three, under multi-threaded server file, print and applications was within a few
>percentage points, much like the Celeron and the PII.
>
>Remeber, the Celeron is basically the EXACT same cache technology as the Pentium Pro,
>which was the king of all server processors just a few short years ago.  Should I down
>all my old PPRo machines until I can get PIIs installed cause they're so
>untrustworthy?
>
>I'd feel a lot better about a server with hardware RAID and dual Celerons than
>software
>RAID and a dual PIIs.

You actually make a very good point.  I haven't seen benchmarks either.
My statements were made based on the presence of the larger L2 cache
in the PII's and Intel's official non-support of SMP celerons.

I would love to see some benchmarks of Linux SMP server systems, using
different load tests for say, Apache, Samba, running many X clients,
and some big databases like say, PostGresql, Oracle, etc.  Maybe the
database tests could be run in conjunction with Apache and PHP  or
JSP or some other dynamic content generating engine.  I'd feel better
being able to see some sort of benchmark like that.

--
Jeff McWilliams - Advanced Development Engineer, ACE Technologies

From: "stephen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Asus vs. Abit
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 02:16:40 -0700

Hello:

What's your experience with Asus and Abit motherboards?

Which one is more reliable?
Which one is better quality?
Which one has less DOA?

Thanks
Stephen

------------------------------

From: Oliver Hach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Asus vs. Abit
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 23:47:40 +0200

stephen wrote:

> Hello:
>
> What's your experience with Asus and Abit motherboards?
>
> Which one is more reliable?
> Which one is better quality?
> Which one has less DOA?

I don't know which one is better but I didn't have any problems with my
ASUS P5A.
But the Ali Chipset is only supported by Kernel 2.3.x .... :(

olli

------------------------------

From: "e.t." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat 6.0  - Internal modems
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 17:41:48 -0500

>From what I have heard, the conventional wisdom is to buy an external modem.
That's what I intend to do.

-EdT., ICQ # 17313062
http://www.alltel.net/~etruitt
on my Web site, with the appropriate color commentary, for others
to have a good laugh at your expense."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank v Waveren)
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 23:19:53 GMT

In article <Qrfm3.74$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "stephen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hello:
>
> What's your experience with Asus and Abit motherboards?
>
> Which one is more reliable?
> Which one is better quality?
> Which one has less DOA?
>
> Thanks
> Stephen

I'm currently using an abit LX6 and I love it. Their site is a bit chaotic,
but there is enough support.
--

                        Frank v Waveren
                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Dave Croal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Plustek Driver for Kernel 2.2.x
Date: 25 Jul 1999 22:31:15 GMT

Holger Dahm wrote:
> In former days i worked with kernel 2.0.36 (DLD). There was no problem
> to compile the alpha plustek scanner driver for SANE (see
> www.efn.org/~rick/plustek/plustek_sane-0.x1.tar.gz). Now i=B4m working
> with kernel 2.2.5 (SuSe 6.1). It seems, that some struct=B4s were changed
> in the kernel source (e.g. file_operations). so the struct=B4s of the old
> plustek driver source are initialed wrong by compiling time. this
> affects only in some warnings, but the result is, that every scan
> results in a black image. However, is there someone who has already run
> into this problem and has a solution.
>
> greetings, dahm

I do not have a solution, I have the exact same problem under RedHat 6.0,
kernel 2.2.15. Did you send your findings to Rick?

Regards,
Dave Croal

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Asus AMD K6-2 450Mhz 128K system
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 22:54:13 GMT

Hey, I am having the same problem with my new setup.
I have an ASUS P5A with AMD-K6-2 450 MHz and 128 PC100
RAM and 1006 BIOS. so what is the problem?  I tried to
install windows95, 98 and Mandrake 6.0 and got errors trying
to install Microsoft OS and Kernal Panic trying to install the
Mandrake.  I checked the ASUS web site for jumper settings and
made corrections for the processor.  The only thing I am unsure of is
the settings for the Bus Voltage?  In the manual it shows a
3 pins for that jumper and 1-2 is 3.4 and 2-3 is 3.6 (I can't remember
the exact wording) but I have six pins in that area and all the
instructions show three.  Do I need a new M/B a new processor or
a new stick of RAM.  HELP, HELP, HELP.  Looks like I am
not alone on this.  No, I am not overclocking the processor.

Thanks for help in advance.

You can also send replys to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Chow

From: Ric Stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: x-windows with i740 display adapter
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 23:47:45 GMT

gurbinder wrote:

> Hi all
> Can some one tell me how to confgure x-windows with Intel i740 chip on
> display adapter. Please Keep in mind i am going to install linux first time.
> I have red hat  linux ver 6.0.
>
> thanks all
>
> gurbinder
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I just did this today on Mandrake 6.o (same as RedHat).  Very easy!  Get from:

ftp.redhat.com/pub/XBF

XBF-i740-glibc-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm

and

xf86config-glibc-1.0.0.i386.tgz

as root do:

rpm -ivh XBF-i740-glibc-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm

cd /

do tar -xvf xf86config-glibc-1.0.0.i386.tgz

run xf86config and  define monitor & card properly - I chose the generic i740
and it works just fine and very fast.  for more detailed directions read:

ftp.redhat.com/pub/XBF/README.i740

good luck!

------------------------------

From: tony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux guru help
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 19:48:12 -0400

I just installed RH6, and the machine is g5-166 from gateway.
I have two problems.

1.
   The command shutdown -h now, halt, halt -p always go to reboot
machine.
   I can see the following messages: system is halted, power down. Then
machine reboot again.

2.

Every time go to X, the screen flickers a bit. But the config file
contains the correct info.
about vedio card and monitor

The vedio card is STB ViRGE/GX 3D pci

monitor is Nec MultiSync XV15

h frequencies 31-65
v frequencies 50-100

So what is the problem? please!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank v Waveren)
Subject: Re: serial port 1
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 23:23:00 GMT

/dev/ttyS0

--

                        Frank v Waveren
                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Matthew van de Werken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,aus.computers.linux
Subject: Re: Linux, newbe, hard and sofware question
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:03:37 +1000

Elector wrote:

> First of all, I realy hope one or more of these news-groups where I've
> posted this message is the right one. If not, then I'm very sorry.
>
> Second, I'm a TOTAL newbie with Linux.
>
> Now to my questions.
>
> I'm thinking about building a machine (PC) just for Linux, and to that
> I have a few hardware-related questions.
>
> 1. Is 64MB RAM enough (I realy hope so)

Yes, for file, print and internet serving, for a small-ish # of clients.

> 2. Is a Pentium 200, or something in that area, fast enough?

Yes (same conditions as above).

> 3. Where can I find a list of supported hardware, I have a couple of
> PCI-Cards I would like to use, but don't know if they are supported?

One of the HOWTOs is a hardware compatibility list.

> And now the software questions.
>
> 1. Can a "Linux-Box" run a gateway for my Winblows, so that I won't
> notice on the Windows-PC (you know log onto NT-Domains, use network
> printers and so on)?

Yes, run SAMBA for file and print serving (looks like NT Server to Win
9x), and ip-chains etc fot internet firewall. This can be much more
secure than a win9x computer as the internet host, too.

> 2. Are there any programs that will let me remote controll it from a
> Windows-PC?

Yes. Others have suggested VNC, but that would be really only useful for
controlling the Windows box from Linux. Use X-windows - that's what it's
for, and it's native. Run Telnet on the Windows box, and get MI/X, a
freeware X server for windows to run X apps from the windows machine. Or
you could get a commercial X-server for windows. These generally work
great. I run it all the time at home - I have a Linux file and print
server, and I never turn the monitor on.

> 3. It is possible to run a Linux-Machine without other OS'es
> installed, right, I mean only Linux on the HD?

Yes, although some hardware will require Windows or DOS to set up. I'd
suggest having a small-ish (~250MB) partition at the start of the first
hard disk with Windows/DOS just in case you need it.

> 4. Can Linux read/write FAT16/32 and NTFS, without any problems?

I think this question is more whether Linux can see Windows shared
drives and vice versa - yes it can. Samba does all this and more.

> That's about it for now, hope to se some good answers from you.
> Thanks in advance.

No worries - happy Linuxing.

Cheers,
MvdW