From: "GuangJun Wu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Beginner need help for Samsung printer configuration
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 18:57:20 -0400

You are right, it's really a winprinter. Please read the last paragraph of
the following
paper: http://pcworld.com/software/internet_www/articles/feb96/feb9617.html

wu

Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [...]
HP

manual(http://samsungelectronics.com/support/downloads/files/Eist85g_gplus.p

(http://samsungelectronics.com/support/downloads/files/Emul85g_plus.pdf),

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Garman)
Subject: Poem about a former roommate
Date: 25 Jul 1999 22:46:19 GMT

This is my first post to this NG.  I wrote this about a former
roommate.  Go nuts with critiques, comments, concerns, flames, etc.

I haven't given a title any thought, but here goes:

Pompous, impatient, demanding and spoiled,
He'll never understand those that have toiled,
With weight on their backs, for only their fill,
When everything he's ever wanted came at will.

They said, "We'll gladly give you anything,
All your heart desires, and more we'll bring.
And forever you'll be our baby, our only one,
For fears of working you'll have none!"

His world is his, relolving around,
And centered upon only him, without bound,
The entire universe, focused on him,
The epicenter of reality, we bow to his whim.

He perceives others as tools,
Objects for his personal gain, for fools
He plays them, because he is superior,
In every way, our existence pitiful, inferior.

And forever they tell their glory,
"We are above anyone and everyone, end of story.
As long as we buy you whatever you desire,
To have the best you need not prespire.

"As God as our witness, you'll never work,
Or toil, because nearby, always, our money lurks.
And everything we have is yours,
For this you'll never lift a finger, nor do chores.

"And to your lavish, loving childhood, we'll feast,
On only fine wine and premium, choicest beast.
Because our standards are elite, above all the rest,
At their mediocracy and cupon-cutting we jest!"

He claims he's worked hard, for what he's earned,
He spent months picking and choosing, I learned,
What options he wanted for his car,
New, and luxurious: for him their wallet left ajar.

When something's good, but not the best,
He'd die if seen with anything less,
Or without mark, hint, suggestion, or aire,
Of his trademarks, status, and name-brand wear.

Thinking, is he, of his bestness and grandeur,
He's better, better, better for sure,
Than your or my best, because he will decide,
Other judgements and stardards all cast aside.

And when he wants to speak, it's always his turn;
Whoever currently has the stage will quickly learn,
That all that matter are his thoughts alone.
Let him have his way, and further decorate his throne.

You're always wrong when you break his tradition,
Of not bending to his desires and ambitions,
No matter how intrusive they are you or me,
Face the wrath of his spoiledness or let him be.

He'll lash out with fantastic fury,
His speach bitter and garbled in his hurry,
To remind you how hard life's been,
And to question his position is to greatly offend.

If only he were humbled, or lashed with a mace,
Bring him down to our level, scar his face.
All his material loves, we could take away,
So to realize his lack of character, if only for day.

Put him in a canvas coat, and workers' boots,
And kill all his affluent roots,
Burn the tailored Italian suit -- just to test,
I'm quite sure suicide would then be his best!

Matt

--
Matt Garman, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"And through the window in the wall

------------------------------

From: Ric Stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: aureal vortex sound chip
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 00:00:30 GMT

Has anyone seen a driver for soundcards based on Aureal Vortex chip
besides the $30 one from OpenSound?

I have a Diamond Sonic Impact S90 that I'd like to make work under
Linux.

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------

From: "David Casey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.help
Subject: Support for 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 00:38:51 -0000

   Just in case not everyone already knew, I found a web site with
directions on how to get Linux to support that Diamond Monster Fusion video
card (or any other Voodoo card) that you might have gone out and bought.  It
is pretty detailed, and I really have no idea how to actually do it, but it
does give some help.  The web site is: www.uno.edu/~adamico/banshee/

Dave Casey

------------------------------

From: Ric Stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel740 driver
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 23:54:37 GMT

JIM NIELSEN wrote:

> Hi, I am yet another Linux newbie, and i have a rather annoying problem, i
> havenīt been able to find a driver for my Intel 740 graphicscard (DFI
> agp7410 rev. A+
>
> If thereīs anyone out there, who can help me with that, i would be happy.

go to:

ftp.redhat.com/pub/XBF

get:

XBF-i740-glibc-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm  (also available in .tgz)  (also available in
glib5 version)

and

xf86config-glibc-1.0.0.i386.tgz

and

README.i740

see also my reply to earlier similar query.  Works great!  Quite speedy.

have fun!

------------------------------

From: Colin Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hardware Problems causing Sig 11....
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 00:32:16 GMT

Problem Solved!
Bad memory!  The faulty memory chip finally broke down completely resulting
in CRC errors after forcing it to compile a kernel 100 times overnight.

Thanks to Bobby D. Bryant of Austin Texas for reminding me to read the
http://www.BitWizard.nl/sig11/ more carefully.

=)
Colin Wong

------------------------------

From: "John D. Verne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Build Box?
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 18:58:22 -0400

Matthias Kilian wrote:

> > 486DX66, 32Mb Ram, 2Gb
>
> > - make zImage modules modules_install: >10 hours
> > - compiling ssh: 12 hrs
> > - creating 2048-bit ssh key: 10 hrs
> > - text-mode 3D rendering, 3 objects, one light source: >1 day (until
> > interrupted in boredom)
> > - one setiathome work unit: ~5 days
>
> I think there's something odd with your setup. Compiling a kernel took about
> 30--40 minutes on a 486DX33, 8MB RAM, 240MB disk space three years ago. Ok, it
> was a 2.0.x kernel, but 10 hours?
>
> Are you shure your hardware is ok? Are you running memory-consuming
> applications when compiling the kernel, ssh, etc (causing permanent swapping)?

Well, I contacted SuSE support and we were not able to get to the bottom
of this.  My investigations show that it is only the processor-bound
processes that cause this problem.  I've even tried compiling in
single-user mode.

The box is OK when used as a file-server (even NFS), but absolutely
sucks to compile on.  Even opening up a man page takes noticeable
seconds (~10).  As someone pointed out, this is probably because of the
uncompressing of the man docs.  A "gzip -d foo.gz" also takes more time
than I would expect.

For those familiar with SuSE, the "Yast" tool also does a _lot_ of
uncompressing to startup, and this box can take almost an hour to
complete a simple Yast session.

I'm more than willing to accept that this is a setup problem, but if it
is, it is subtle.  I was running RH 5.x on the same box and at least it
was usable from the console.  SuSE support advised to downgrade to a 2.0
kernel or lower.  This is a bit sad, given that Linux _used_ to excel at
maximizing marginal hardware.

Again, since the box is near the end of it's useful life cycle as a
desktop under _any_ operating system, I put it to good use as a
light-weight fileserver.  NetWare is also a good example of a prime-time
OS that can run on legacy machines.

Once day I'll tear it down and rebuild it with one of the several free
distros I have floating around to see if it really is the kernel.  Given
that the OS is free, and the hardware has paid for itself several times
over, you cannot beat the price.

Of course, that means that the price of my desktop is only the cost of
the hardware.  By shopping around and tailoring the hardware
specifically for Linux I was able to build a reasonably priced box that
hums nicely as a desktop.  This is something Dell _or_ my local reseller
would/could probably never do.

And boy, does SuSE ever scream on _that_ box.  Was it worth the $ and
small amount of time to build?  Oh yeah, baby.  Oh yeah.

John "It's not really over-clocking if you don't quite _double_ the
clock speed" Verne

------------------------------

From: Tango <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BP6 mobo ultra/66 and linux
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 21:20:31 -0400

Hello,

I am planning to buy a BP6 motherboard with ultra ata/66 controller on
board. I am going to use this system with win98/win200/Linux.

My question is, will a hard drive connected to the ultra/66 controlled
work/get recognized in linux?

Thank you,

From: Brian Hunt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound (SBLive)as Root only
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 22:22:18 -0300

Hello there,

Just thought I'd ask around and find out why I cannot play my SBLive
audio device, except as the root.

I've changed the permissions for /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp1, /dev/audio,
/dev/audio1, /dev/mixer, /dev/mixer1, /dev/sequencer, and /dev/sndstat.
What am I overlooking that would prevent me from playing music as a
user, rather than only as the root?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Brian

------------------------------

From: wizard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: serial port 1
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 21:52:03 -0400

"Jason D. Timmons" wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    How do I find out which dev serial port 1 is?
>
> -jason
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> RH6.0
> AMD-K6-2 350mhz

Jason;

Read the man pages on setserial and related functions.     You may also
want to look into the proc file to see ho some of the info there.

If I understand the question setserial should do the job

Dave

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nelson Ricciardi)
Subject: Installing PCMCIA support
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 00:46:33 GMT

I have Red Hat 5.2 installed on my laptop.

Next step should be activate PCMCIA support and make the modem work.

Can someone, please, put me in the right direction?

I'd appreciate any help.

From: Jesse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "The LinuxStore" - are they good ??
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 18:50:08 -0700

well, it was a very brief interview,
I'm _hoping_ either I misheard that,
or they will change it.

-Jesse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: wizard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Asus vs. Abit
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 21:56:33 -0400

stephen wrote:

> Hello:
>
> What's your experience with Asus and Abit motherboards?
>
> Which one is more reliable?
> Which one is better quality?
> Which one has less DOA?
>
> Thanks
> Stephen

The ASUS P2B is world renowned for its quality and stable
performance.    It is the board I'm most likely to reccomend to anyone
for a general purpose machine.    That doesn.t mean it fits every
application but its certainly the finest starting point.

Given that the ABIT dual celeron board is very interesting to say the
least.    i have not used it so can't say much about it.

Dave

------------------------------

From: Robert Sheskin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Jul 1999 21:03:01 -0500

    stephen> Hello: What's your experience with Asus and Abit
    stephen> motherboards?

    stephen> Which one is more reliable?  Which one is better quality?
    stephen> Which one has less DOA?

    stephen> Thanks Stephen

Well my experience with abit is that whiles it works its great, if you have
a problem you are on your own, bad tech support (actually non-existent).
I have built a few computers with asus boards and have not had a problem.
I am currently using an Epox which has been flawless. Many motherboards have
support newsgroups and checking them out to see what users say is a smart idea.
Look in the alt.comp.periphs.mainboard headers.

--
Robert Sheskin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: wizard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat 6.0  - Internal modems
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 22:03:32 -0400

In most cases I would never reccomend an external modem.    I have a USR
internal modem that has worked fine with linux for years.     Just make sure
you can set the base address of the unit and interrupt.    There is no wisdom
at all in selecting an external modem.     If nothing else make sure the modem
indicates that it supports unix.

External modems are fine if you never intend to use your serial ports and you
don't mind trowing away money on hardware you don't need.    Also as far as
I'am concerned an internal modem is far more flexible and reliable.

Dave

------------------------------

From: "Burns MacDonald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: HP false advertising!!!!
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 02:25:25 GMT

David J. Topper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Indeed, but that doesn't make it right.  They sold and charged me
for a 400mhz
> machine.  I spent hours on the phone with their tech. support in
order to
> prevent something like this from happening.  There were also several
HP press
> releases concerning the new 400mhz chip.

If you really feel that strongly about it, put your money where your
mouth is and sue them in small claims court. If nothing else, it will
get their attention. If they contest your suit, it will probably cost
them more than they made on your laptop in legal fees. If they don't -
you win.
In the meantime, try a more reasoned adult-like approach and don't
burden us with your juvenile hysterics. Besides, this is off-topic for
the comp.sys.intel newsgroup. Try not to x-post again.

> Lies are bad ... just like poorly written operating systems.

And jerks are just jerks, regardless of the operating system they use.

--
Burns

------------------------------

From: "robert_c" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: UP and SMP (difference in atomic operation and spinlock function?)
Date: 26 Jul 1999 02:42:53 GMT

Hi:

 Could someone tell me your advices about race condition in SMP.

In my opinion, to avoid race condition, we can use three methods in LINUX

1. bit operation: (just for binary mutex) we can use test_set, test_and_set,

2. atomic integer operation: like atomic_inc, atomic_dec_and_test...

3. spin_lock: like spin_lock, spin_unlock, spin_lock_irqsavc...

But, what's these application (or situation) for above three methods are
used?

My thought is like following.

1. [bit operation]: used in UP and binary lock
2. [atomic integer operation]: used in UP and mutiple integer lock.
3. [spin_lock]: bit and atomic operations are belong to spin_lock subset, so
spin_lock can do anything [bit and atomic operations] they can do. Besides,
spin_lock are mainly used in SMP. So I can use spin_lock in UP and SMP.
(but, if it is used in UP, the perfomance will be little bad)

Best Regards,

Robert

------------------------------

Subject: Re: S3 chip and problems too......
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Jul 1999 23:07:44 -0400

"Larry Clark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I too am having probs with my s3 chipset and I am looking for the newest
> server at xfree86.org and I see some dedicated for my s3 chip I think I am
> looking at the right place but how do I know what version xfree86 I am
> running now? thanks larry

The Xserver prints the version number when it starts up.  Also if you use
RedHat (or Mandrake, etc.) rpms, you can do:

        rpm -qf /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3

to find what the package name (which includes the revision #) you are using.

Two things regarding S3 chips: 1) I believe the XF86_S3{,V} are the older
servers while most of the newer S3 support (screen optimizations, etc.) went
into the SVGA server; 2) Some older S3 video cards don't work too well with LX
motherboards as I found out when I upgraded my pentium to a pentium-II (I had a
#9 GXE64 Pro card with a 968 chipset IIRC).

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886