Linux-Hardware Digest #851, Volume #10           Mon, 26 Jul 99 14:13:34 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Compact Flash vs. SSFDC Smart Media (Till Harbaum)
  Sound Card Problem (having COL2.2 1st day) (Joshua Li)
  Scanner Support (Joshua Li)
  Re: kernel panic: unable to mount root fs on 03:42 (Juergen Pfann)
  FS: 5 Digital vrt19-ha 19" Triniton Monitors ; $135 each ("Kent Rankin")
  sblive hauppauge wintv no sound? ("Travolta666")
  Re: Scanner Support (Joshua Li)
  3dfx voodoo3 beta patch - Suse - Sax - Yes! (dongle dan)
  Why is module st0 (SCSI tape drive) always loaded? ("Steve Snyder")
  Re: NVIDIA TNT2 (Bill)
  Re: spin down HDD (Simon Hosie)
  backing up system (Derek Ealy)
  Re: backing up system (David)
  Re: Soundblaster Live (Value) / S/PDIF (William Zhao)
  SB Live under SMP kernel? (William Zhao)
  RAID under 2.3.10 w/ Promise card ("Neil L")
  Re: Opinions? My Mylex 1100 RAID server to be. (Willy Weisz)
  HELP : Tyan S1598 Chipset Support ? (Crazy Horse)
  Re: backing up system (Rod Roark)
  Miro Magic Premium (greg)
  Re: kernel panic: unable to mount root fs on 03:42 (Scorpio)
  Opinions? New Box. ("Jim Shearer")

From: Till Harbaum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch.embedded
Subject: Re: Compact Flash vs. SSFDC Smart Media
Date: 26 Jul 1999 16:05:04 +0200

Mark Durham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Anybody connected a CompactFlash or ATA Flash Card up to an 8051? Any
> basic info available on the ATA registers and how to write/read the
> card? I know I can probably get the info from the PCMCIA org but I
> refuse to pay megabucks for the spec!

I've hooked up a smartmedia card to the 68EZ328, but i would not recommand
it. The information provided by the ssfdc is just not complete and it
really needs much effort to get the smartmedia stuff working by guessing
half of the functionality.

Ciao,
  Till

------------------------------

From: Joshua Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Card Problem (having COL2.2 1st day)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:45:55 GMT

I have a Yamaha OPL3-SAx onboard sound system, and from what I read in
order to get that working, you need to load module into kernel, but in
COAS neither sb nor OPL3 will load. It loads the dependent modules, but
"Fails to load Module sb (OPL3)".

What can I do in order to make them work?
(considering this is the first day that I have ever used Linux, please
help with a little details).

Joshua Li
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
=====
Nothing is impossible for a man who doesn't do it himself.

------------------------------

From: Joshua Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Scanner Support
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:05:30 GMT

I have a canon CanoScan FB 620P on a Parallel Port, How can I config
OpenLinux2.2 to support them device?

--
Joshua Li
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Juergen Pfann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: kernel panic: unable to mount root fs on 03:42
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 15:50:09 +0200

Hello.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Scorpio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi all.
> > I've been runnuing 2.2.10 kernel for a while, and had to replace a
> > motherboard in my machine. After that, the kernel would not boot and
> > produces teh message:
> >
> > Partition check:
> > hda: hda1
>        ^^^^^^^^^
> > hdb: hdb1 hdb2 hdb3 <> hdb4
> > hdc: hdc1 hdc2 <hdc5>
> > [...]
> > Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:42
>                                                 ^^^^^
> The rootfs is set incorrectly: You don't have any logic partition on hda but
> your kernel tries to mount the 38th logic partition (03:42 are the
> major:minor device numbers of /dev/hda42). Edit your lilo.conf (if you boot
> from HDD) or run rdev on the floppy (if you use such a thing for booting)
> to set the right root partition.
>
>    Peter

Sorry Peter, you lead to the right way, but there's a mistake left :
both numbers are _hex_ -> 03:66 in decimal. 03 stands for minor number
3, that is the first ide channel (ide0), comprising hda _and_ hdb in
our example. Again only by heart (not at a linux machine at the moment)
I think the minor numbers for each ide interface (for example ide0 with
major 3, ide1 with major 0x16/dec.22, ide2 major 0x21/dec.33, ide3
major 0x2c/dec.44) are organized that way : 0 for the whole "master"
disk, 0x80/128 for the whole "slave"; 1-63 (dec.) for primary partitions
on the master(hda1-63 in our ex.; only the first 4 are used), 64-127 for
logical part. on the master (from hda5 on); then 128-191 for primary
part. of the slave and the rest for logical slave part. I know that's
overhead, cause you can only setup 4 primary part. anyway, but at least
in linux you could really use 64 logical part. on an IDE disk (don't
have to bother about too few "drive letters", hehe)! For SCSI the scheme
is different and less "minor-number-wasting", having 15 primary & 15
logical part. for each drive at each interface (SCSI channel) AFAIK;
still enough for most of us I think.
*Please* confirm or reject that first by e.g. "ls -la /dev/hda*
/dev/hdb*" !
So my guess is, Scorpio's kernel expects the root fs in hda7(hex.66) -
and there is no such partition. I don't have the original post any more
so maybe I'm missing additional info; did he swap his drives? where _is_
the linux system he wants to boot ? Anyway, I agree to tell the root
device to the kernel via rdev on HD or boot floppy , to edit
/etc/lilo.conf and to reinstall lilo. But in addition, you should also
be sure to edit the root fs entry in /etc/fstab (relative to the system
to be booted of course) appropriately.
Maybe I forgot to state that last one also in our discussion about
copying file systems last week. Sorry then :-( .

HTH

Juergen

------------------------------

From: "Kent Rankin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.vms,comp.sys.dec,misc.forsale.computers.monitors,misc.forsale.computers.workstation
Subject: FS: 5 Digital vrt19-ha 19" Triniton Monitors ; $135 each
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:38:46 GMT

    The units are located in Pulaski, VA.  They are quite clean, and are in
fine working order.

    Do send any questions that you might have.

                                            Thanks,
                                            Kent Rankin

------------------------------

From: "Travolta666" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sblive hauppauge wintv no sound?
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:57:58 +0200

although (finally) i got sound under my Linux system (suse6.1 / 2.2.7) I
canīt find a way to LISTEN to the televison programs in kwintv. solutions
welcome
lars

------------------------------

From: Joshua Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scanner Support
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:16:30 GMT

Joshua Li wrote:

> I have a canon CanoScan FB 620P on a Parallel Port, How can I config
> OpenLinux2.2 to support them device?
>
> --
> Joshua Li
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> -----
> Nothing is impossible for a man who doesn't do it himself.

All right, I checked SANE page, and it says it's in alpha, So I have to
wait.

--
Joshua Li
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: dongle dan
Subject: 3dfx voodoo3 beta patch - Suse - Sax - Yes!
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 06:15:37 GMT

From: "Steve Snyder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Why is module st0 (SCSI tape drive) always loaded?
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 15:07:17 GMT

On my all-SCSI system (RedHat v6.0, kernel v2.2.10) I build the CD-ROM
and tape drive support as modules.  (These devices are rarely used so
there's no need to have the device drivers for them occupy RAM all the
time.)  I notice, though, that the module for the SCSI tape drive,
"st0.o", is loaded at boot time and never removed.

Can anyone explain this to me?  Thank you.

***** Steve Snyder *****

------------------------------

From: Bill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,redhat.x.general
Subject: Re: NVIDIA TNT2
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:18:48 -0400

http://ubmail.ubalt.edu/~sfritsche/TNT-Mini-HOWTO.html

Bill

------------------------------

From: Simon Hosie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: spin down HDD
Date: 27 Jul 1999 03:12:50 +1200

Lindoze 2000:
> what about what J.Price said about crond jobs? I found that it does
> something too. but I got exhausted today finding out about it and what it
> does. rather its important or not. I wanted to kill crond, but I was
> afraid of potential damage to my system. any clues?

Well, I wouldn't go killing off things like that willy-nilly.  Inspect them
all (in /var/spool/cron/crontabs on my system) and see what gets run once an
hour.  You're looking for things that have something other than '*' in the
first field, and '*' in most fields after that.  Try to find the man page on
each and then decide what you want to do about them that way.

--
# Please try to quote no more than you need to show the context of your post.
# If you also quote my .Sig then I hate you and I hope you get hiccups.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Derek Ealy)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: backing up system
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:23:10 GMT

Hi,

I have RedHat 5.1 upgraded to Kernel 2.0.36. I recently installed a
4mm DDS2 DAT drive on my linux box. I used "tar cvf /dev/st0 /" to
backup my system but it didn't fit on a single 90M tape. The DU
command reports that I have 2.6 gigs worth of data, and I believe I
have compression enabled on the drive via a jumper. Normally I would
expect at least 3 gigs to fit on a 90M tape with compression. Is there
something that I'm supposed to do via software to tell the tape drive
to compress the data? Or is tar just really inefficient in the way
that it uses a tape?

How do most people do backups on their linux machines? Both tar and
cpio seem pretty damned crude. Even NT's included NTBackup program
seems to be quite a bit more useful. Is there any decent backup
program for linux other than BRU2000? If not how does BRU2000 compare
to a serious backup program like Seagate's Backup Exec?

Thanks in advance, Derek

Remove nospam from my email address when replying to
me. My email address is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Need consultants for Win32 C++ VB Java DCOM and Unix development?
Check us out at http://www.grandprixsw.com

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: backing up system
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 17:23:57 +0200

Yu should try this:

tar zcvf /dev/st0 /

------------------------------

From: William Zhao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundblaster Live (Value) / S/PDIF
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:53:08 -0700

Hi,

Live Value should work with that beta driver. But it won't work if you
have
a kernel compiled with SMP support.  :(

I have to keep a AWE32 in the machine just for linux.

Bill

From: William Zhao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SB Live under SMP kernel?
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:06:39 -0700

Hi,

I have a Sound Blaster Live Value sound card and Red Hat Linux 6.0
I managed to get it to work with Creative's beta drivers. But only under
a uni processor kernel. I understand those drivers don't support smp
kernels.
Does anyone have any idea how to get it to work on a dual processor
machine?

Thanks for any help

Bill

From: "Neil L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RAID under 2.3.10 w/ Promise card
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:29:47 -0500

Okay,

So I'm trying to get RAID -1 running under Linux kernel 2.3.10 (over an
installation of Mandrake 6).  I have a Promise Ultra66 card and a pair of WD
18GB Expert drives, and the hardware appears to work correctly.

When I go to do the "mkraid", it only gives me an abort with no messages at
all.

Any help appreciated.

Neil L

------------------------------

From: Willy Weisz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Opinions? My Mylex 1100 RAID server to be.
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 18:25:18 +0200

We also have a a PC with the eXtremeRAID 1100 controller, so I want to
comment the description of your setup. A word of explanation: This PC is
the frontend and fileserver (user disk space) for a Beowulf-type cluster.

James Culbertson wrote:

> I am new to Linux and I am just about to plunk some money down for a new
> Linux server (Samba file & print, mail, FTP, and perhaps a small web
> site later on) to replace an old Novell server.
>
> I welcome any comments/criticisms of my hardware selection or setup
> misconceptions before I commit myself.
>
> Motherboard:   Super Micro P6SBU
> Case:                Super Micro 750A Full Tower ATX case w/3 internal
> fans for
>                          ventilation.
> CPU:                Pentium III 450
> RAM:               256MB PC-100 ECC SDRAM
> RAID Contr:    Mylex DAC1164P-3I-64-MY eXtremeRAID 1100 with three
>                          internal SCSI channels and 64MB cache.
>                         (firmware 5.06-0-52 or above)
> Hard Disks:     Five IBM 9.1GB Ultra 2 SCSI 7200rpm drives (DDRS-39130)
>                          to be configured into one five disk RAID 5
> array.

We have installed 6 disks, five as online, and one as standby, so that in case
of failure the controller will automatically recreate the failing disk.
Replacing the failed disk and have it recognized as new stanby without
bringing the system down, doesnīt function yet under Linux.

> Network Card: Intel Etherexpress Pro/100+ Server PCI ethernet adapter.
> CD-ROM:        40X Pioneer SCSI CD-ROM.
>
> Plus a modest graphics card, monitor, a 1.44MB floppy drive, mouse and
> keyboard.
>
> Does anyone know of a clearly better hard disk to use?
>
> I'm not yet clear about the best way to set up my RAID 5 array.  I'm new
> to RAID arrays.  Can I spread 5 disks across a 3 channel RAID controller
> card?  Should I?

We spread the 6 drives over 2 of the channels (but we havenīt made measurements
yet to see whether the speed is really improved).

> As to partitioning the RAID 5 array . . .   For large arrays Mylex
> recommends that their card's BIOS be set to support 8GB (as opposed to
> 2GB) "geometry."  A 36GB array can be split up into logical drives (and
> the logical drives can be split up into partitions [at most 6
> partitions/logical drive]).  How many and what size would be best?   I
> don't see a need to have more logical drives than necessary.  My
> understanding is that the 8GB geometry refers to the maximum size of a
> logical drive - so I will have to set up at least 5 logical drives.

We only have one big logical drive of 36GB and use it as a single file
system under Linux (/home).

> Boot Partion:
>     I plan to install the Red Hat 6.0 release of Linux directly on the
> 1st partition of the 1st logical drive of my RAID 5 array.
>
> Swap Parition(s):
>     Linux supports swap partitions of up to 128MB in size (and up to
> eight of these 128MB swap partitions)  But my understanding is that
> Linux needs to use swap partitions only when it doesn't have enough RAM
> for the server tasks at hand.  So it seems to me that it is best to add
> more RAM if I think my server is likely to need more swap space.

We use the RAID only for user disk space and have another disk for
swap and all disk space occupied by non-user disk space and /tmp.

> Recommendations?
> Misconceptions?
> Comments?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jim Culbertson
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Regards

Willy
Willy Weisz

European Centre for Parallel Computing at Vienna (VCPC)
                 Liechtensteinstrasse 22
                 A-1090 Wien
Tel: (+43 1) 310 93 96 - 16     Fax: (+43 1) 310 93 96 - 13
                e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Crazy Horse)
Subject: HELP : Tyan S1598 Chipset Support ?
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 11:24:07 -0400

I'm in the planning stage of buildling a little "mini-lab" to help me
learn GNU/Linux.  I'm hoping to deploy a total of between five and seven
machines.  Some of them will be Windows machines and some will be Linux.
Four machines will be built from scratch and I guess the first thing I
need to do is figure out which motherboard to build these on.

A friend who's *deep* into the world of EE, seems quite fond of the
subject board (Tyan S1598), and so I was leaning toward getting that.
However, I just spoke with a local retailer who told me that the S1598
chipset won't work with Linux.

Does anyone have any experience or real knowledge regarding this
compatibility issue?

Or... can anyone recommend a high-quality motherboard that's compatible
with Linux?  I've also heard (from this same EE source) that ASUS and
EPoX make good boards.

BTW- having looked thru past articles, I found one that mentioned that
the Tyan S1590S works well with Linux, but this is an AT board, and all
indications that I'm getting are that AT boards tend to be sold to people
upgrading their old machines... that for new machines, everyone's going
with ATX boards.

-CH
=====

------------------------------

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 26 Jul 1999 17:25:10 GMT

David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Yu should try this:
>tar zcvf /dev/st0 /

No, you want to preserve permissions and skip /proc and other
filesystems.  Use:

# tar zcplvf /dev/tape /

It's even better to boot up a rescue filesystem for this purpose,
rather than backing up a live root partition.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 18:26:55 +0200
From: greg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Miro Magic Premium

Iīve got a "Miro Magic Premium" graphics card and I donīt know
how to use the video input under linux. bttv dowsnīt work because it
doesnīt support the chipset of my card. Does anyone know how to use the
video input?

Greg

------------------------------

From: Scorpio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 17:31:30 GMT

pegri wrote:

                                        ^^^^^
> The rootfs is set incorrectly: You don't have any logic partition on hda
but
> your kernel tries to mount the 38th logic partition (03:42 are the
> major:minor device numbers of /dev/hda42). Edit your lilo.conf (if you
boot
> from HDD) or run rdev on the floppy (if you use such a thing for booting)
> to set the right root partition.

But my 2.0.36 kernel boots perfectly on the same machine with the same
settings (2 labels in lilo.conf)....could there be a problem in the kernel
working with that particular hardware (430VX chipset). I've tried it on 2
different boards of hte 430VX chipset, both failed to boot 2.2.10 kernel
but booted 2.0.36

What settings in the kernel config should for?
Andrew

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Jim Shearer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Opinions? New Box.
Date: 26 Jul 1999 17:33:36 GMT

My current primary system is a 40mHz linux box.  I'm sorry if this has
induced catatonia in some of you.  Those who survived unscathed, prepare to
share in my joy.  After five years, I'm finally building a new box.  After
a week or so hanging about in this NG, and observing the success so many
people are enjoying with SMP boxes, I'm going to (hopefully) do the same.
The following are my hardware favorites:

-Abit BP6
-couple o' Celeron 366's
-Matrox G200 (8 or 16MB -- some trouble with the 16s?)
-128MB PC100

These choices are mostly the result of tips gleaned from this NG.  Any
further comments on the above would be appreciated greatly.  Also, I'm not
sure whether I'll go SCSI or EIDE.  I haven't seen too much discussion
about the ongoing development of UDMA66 support.  Die hards, try to convice
me to go with your favorite.  As it stands, a UDMA drive has my eye only
for price reasons.  Lastly, I would like suggestions/advice about monitor
purchase.  I hardly ever read of suggestions regarding good displays.  I've
always assumed that generic monitors and major branded monitors were
basically the same as long as the specs were the same.  This assumption has
no base in fact or experience, so its basically worthless.  Can anyone
offer monitor shopping tips?

On the box, I'll be running kernel 2.2.10 and will be doing mostly coding
and doc typesetting.  Games, netstuff, etc. also, of course.

Hey. Thanks.

--
James Shearer | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | remove spamblocker
                                            if replying by mail.