Linux-Hardware Digest #852, Volume #10           Mon, 26 Jul 99 17:13:27 EDT

Contents:
  Display diver (Tsoicy)
  Why Has My PC Card Modem Quit Working? ("Jonathan L. Parker")
  Re: SCSI CD Changers? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: speed tests (wlparker)
  Re: kernel panic: unable to mount root fs on 03:42 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  jpegs and decoding... ("Larry Clark")
  Re: UP and SMP (difference in atomic operation and spinlock function?) (Kaz Kylheku)
  Bootable Cd for Linux (Bruno Quesnel)
  Re: xeon and fan noise? (William Zhao)
  Re: How do I configure $TERM for gnome terminal? (Roger Atkinson)
  Re: No UDMA on ASUS P5A-B (Peter Stein)
  Re: jpegs and decoding... (Mandl Martin)
  cdrecord-1.8a23 for Linux (Peter Stein)
  X-Terminal ethernet cards ("sagolsem")
  Where can I get a pre-installd Linux box for ~$250? (Nick)
  Guru advice need for parallel LS120 re-install ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  TB Fiji & Digital I/O success (Doug Kelly)
  Qube, NetWinder dead? What equivalent for office short of space? (James Knowles)
  Re: Opinions? New Box. (James Knowles)
  Re: Mouse causes netscape to crash! (Rob Stockley)
  OKIDATA OL600e (Trung)
  NEC Superscript 150c (Joshua Li)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tsoicy)
Subject: Display diver
Date: 26 Jul 1999 16:12:21 GMT

I am beginner of Linux meeting a problem that cannot finding display diver for
Mighty Banshee made by InnVISION.   The current Linux used is RedHat 5.2.
Please advise where I can download by mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]/

Thanks in Advance for your Help

Regards
CYTsoi

------------------------------

From: "Jonathan L. Parker" <jlparkerDON'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Why Has My PC Card Modem Quit Working?
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:16:45 -0500

Hello, everyone.

I have a UMAX 316T 300 mHz AMD K6-2 notebook running Red Hat 5.2 with
the 2.0.36 kernel.  All of a sudden, my PC Card modem has quit
working-again.  Previously when this happened, I could get it going once
more by either resetting the permissions for it with chmod or
reconfiguring its port with setserial.  (By the way, what causes these
to ever change once they've been set?) Neither has worked this time.
Any ideas out there?  Does anything like this ever happen to the rest of
you?

Until I can find a solution, these messages will come to you courtesy of
my modest contribution to the obscenely huge pile of filthy lucre heaped
upon the altar of Bill Gates...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SCSI CD Changers?
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 18:22:11 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Dirk Aust <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Anyone have any luck getting a SCSI CD Changer to work under
> > Linux? Currently I run Slackware/KDE on my SCSI-based AMD machine.
> > Looking to see if it would be effective to get a SCSI CD Changer?
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >

> What exectly doesn't work? Can't mount the CDROM or can't you change
> the CDs with software control

I don't have any problems, I don't have a CD changer installed.  I am
asking before I go out and purchase one, to see if anyone has any
recommendations or negative feedback about the products.

From: wlparker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: speed tests
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:31:26 GMT

Justin Miller wrote:
> I'm going to be doing some tweaking to my system soon. I'll be adding
> another harddrive and reconfiguring the partitions and will be playing
> with overclocking. What I'm looking for is some sort of benchmark test
> so I can see how much performance I gain. I would like to test for
> inproved cpu power and inproved disk i/o independantly if possible.
>
> I was thinking that compiling a kernel might be a good test of cpu
> speed, and perhaps large file writes and reads, but I'm not sure of the
> best way to test that.
>
> Can anyone suggest anything?
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

I am also interested in good testing programs,  but I am more interested in
finding a test suite that will evaluate the stability of the overclocked
system.  Any suggestions?
Thanks,
wlparker

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: kernel panic: unable to mount root fs on 03:42
Date: 26 Jul 1999 16:26:52 GMT

Jon Bloom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> The rootfs is set incorrectly: You don't have any logic partition on hda but
>> your kernel tries to mount the 38th logic partition (03:42 are the
>> major:minor device numbers of /dev/hda42).
> The numbers in the quoted error message are in hex: 03:42 => 3,66 =>
> /dev/hdb2
Oops! Didn't know that. Shame on me.

   Peter
--
   Peter Gritsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   `... so I'd rather you didn't try any last-minute stuff.'

------------------------------

From: "Larry Clark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: jpegs and decoding...
Date: 26 Jul 1999 16:37:24 GMT

I got an email with a jpeg attached and I was wondering how I decode it, it
is all text, binary.......I think....thanks...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kaz Kylheku)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: UP and SMP (difference in atomic operation and spinlock function?)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 18:08:09 GMT

On 26 Jul 1999 02:42:53 GMT, robert_c <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In my opinion, to avoid race condition, we can use four methods in LINUX
>
> 1. bit operation: (just for binary mutex) we can use test_set, test_and_set,
>
> 2. atomic integer operation: like atomic_inc, atomic_dec_and_test...
>
> 3. spin_lock: like spin_lock, spin_unlock, spin_lock_irqsavc...
>
> 4. Kernel semaphore
>
> But, what's these application (or situation) for above four methods are
> used?
>
> My thought is like following.
>
> 1. [bit operation]: used in UP and binary lock
> 2. [atomic integer operation]: used in UP and mutiple integer lock.
> 3. [spin_lock]: bit and atomic operations are belong to spin_lock subset, so
> spin_lock can do anything [bit and atomic operations] they can do. Besides,
> spin_lock are mainly used in SMP. So I can use spin_lock in UP and SMP.
> (but, if it is used in UP, the perfomance will be little bad)

No, if you compile for a single-processor system without -D__SMP__, the
spin_lock_irqsave and spin_lock_irqrestore primitives turn into
save_flags();cli() and restore_flags().  In other words, they become the usual
mechanisms for critical region in a UP kernel.
And spin_lock() (the non-IRQ version) simply becomes

        do { } while (0)

in other words, a no-operation. That's because there is nothing to do; because
there is only one processor, so there are no other processors to keep out
of the critical region, and the semantics of spin_lock() allow interrupts,
so cli() is not needed. Have a look at the asm/spinlock.h header to
see how it handles conditional compilation on __SMP__.

So I wouldn't worry about losing performance from spin_lock() or
spin_lock_irqsave() on a single processor system. :)

By the way, I always use spin_lock_irqsave(). I never use the variants that do
not disable interrupts. This way, a given processor's time in the critical
region is minimized, and the atomicity of the code is guaranteed against all
possibilities: other processors as well as interrupts, bottom-half callbacks
etc.

> 4. [kernel semaphore]: ?

A semaphore can only be waited on by a process. Semaphores are useful for
synchronization between tasks, or between tasks and interrupt (in which case
the interrupt signals only, and only the task waits).  A semaphore is useful if
process must be delayed for some potentially lengthy period of time until
something happens, during which time it's desirable to run other processes.
It's not suitable for brief critical regions.

------------------------------

From: Bruno Quesnel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Bootable Cd for Linux
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 19:03:51 GMT

==============71A95B72AE9A01BE4CA2B98A

I'm interested in doing bootable images of custom distribution for the
companies site for install and recovery plan.

Can someone tel me of a piece of software or methode to make this
possible.

Thanks in advance

--
Unix is user-friendly; it's just a little particular about which
                   users it is friendly to.

Bruno Quesnel                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Genie Electrique                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electrical engineering                       VA2 BMG
Ecole de technologie Superieure

==============71A95B72AE9A01BE4CA2B98A

I'm interested in doing bootable images of custom distribution for the
companies site for install and recovery plan.
<pre>--&nbsp;
Unix is user-friendly; it's just a little particular about which
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 users it is friendly to.

Bruno
Quesnel&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Genie
Electrique&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electrical
engineering&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 VA2 BMG
Ecole de technologie Superieure</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: William Zhao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: xeon and fan noise?
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:58:59 -0700

I think if you really want the power of xeon, you'll have to get used to
the
fan noise. Since xeon processor machines usually come with high
performance
hard drives, which generates a lot of heat. Without proper cooling,
these components won't last long, neither will the processors. I
personally don't
know of any place that sells "Quiet xeon machines". At least it'll be
hard
to find.
You can probably find quiet hard drives to help out.

Bill

From: Roger Atkinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Subject: Re: How do I configure $TERM for gnome terminal?
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:22:50 -0700

"Dr Aldo Medina [mx]" wrote:

> Since a little ago, I can't properly use vi and ncftp on gnome terminal.
> I get some error about bad terminal. My $TERM variable is set to dumb.
> What should I do? I get scrambled text.

If you are using the default gnome term then your $TERM should be set to
xterm. This will make your editing sessions work as they should.

HTH, Roger Atkinson  Unix Sys Admin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Stein)
Subject: Re: No UDMA on ASUS P5A-B
Date: 26 Jul 1999 19:14:46 GMT

In article <7nbop6$5je$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Peter Christy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hmm! That's odd! I've got the same mobo, and it works just fine under 2.3.5.
>I don't think I did anything special other than select the Ali drivers when
>compiling the kernel! Certainly the boot messages report that all the drives
>are using DMA, and its a lot quicker than it was under 2.2.x without DMA.
>
>Pete
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

DMA is not UDMA. If your EIDE drives are UDMA capable, 'dmesg' will show
this, but it doesn't mean they are actually configured as UDMA. Use 'hdparm'
to force UDMA operation and see what happens. Execute a write test of a very
large file and check for kernel messages. The problem with the UDMA driver
for 2.2.9 is that it succeeds for read operations, but fails on writes.
Several people have mistakenly posted that UDMA is successful under 2.2.9,
but they only ran the hdparm read test and did no testing of write. What
happens on this failure is that the driver gets kicked into PIO mode to
complete the write operation. Depending on what the user is doing they may
not even notice this has happened until they look at the kernel log file.
It is possible that this was fixed in 2.3.5, but I doubt it. I think you're
just getting DMA (which I do agree is much better than PIO).

Peter Stein

From: Mandl Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: jpegs and decoding...
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:30:15 +0200

Save it, and use xv for viewing ...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Stein)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: cdrecord-1.8a23 for Linux
Date: 26 Jul 1999 19:34:07 GMT

Has anyone tried recording an audio CD with the -dao (disk at once)
option? The inference from the man page is that as opposed to
"track at once" (cdrecord-1.6) the -dao option will eliminate the
annoying 2 second gaps between tracks. I compiled cdrecord-1.8a23
under 2.2.9 last night, but it was too late to try any burning.
If anyone has already tried this please let me know. I already
own plenty of coasters! :-)

Peter Stein

From: "sagolsem" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X-Terminal ethernet cards
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 15:42:22 -0400

I want to run a diskless X-Terminal on redhat 5.2. I saw a ne2000 compatible
card with bootrom at www.lsl.com which is costing $90.
Can anybody suggest a cheaper card ?

Sago

------------------------------

From: Nick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Where can I get a pre-installd Linux box for ~$250?
Date: 26 Jul 1999 20:04:35 GMT

Does anybody know where on the net you can get a pre-isntalled Linux
box (intel, Redhat 6) for about $250? I plan on using this as a Web and
mail server. I heard of a consumer box that is being pushed by Prodigy
and somebody else that is debuting later this year, but this seems like
it's more for client-use; can those run web servers? I think they were
going to be priced around $200.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Guru advice need for parallel LS120 re-install
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 19:13:22 GMT

Knocking my head against the wall so often that I'm developing a bald
spot.

Previously I've had a parallel Imation LS120 drive running on linux
kernel 2.0.36. Installed paride, epat, pf as modules with everything
running smoothly. Ok, so I want to install 2.2.10, KDE1.1.1 and figure
that this is a great time to tweak and rebuild my 2.0.36 kernel for
laughs. I make and install a new kernel and reboot, login and oops no
superdisk anymore. I get a "init_module: Device or resource busy" when
I 'insmod pf'. OK, so instead of reverting to the saved kernel I go and
build another with no PLIP, no parallel printer support and parallel
IDE support, epat and pf into the kernel. Same again. Did I save my
original kernel? Of course not, that would have been the intelligent
thing to do. I cat /proc/devices which doesn't list /dev/pf as a block
device, not good. I cat /proc/ioports and don't see my parallel port
occupied, so who's busy?

5 rebuilds of 2.0.36 later has been a waste of cpu cycles. Obviously
I've got some contention here that I'm overlooking.

What have I missed?

I've configured ( and reconfigured ) the following:

o enabled parallel IDE support and extended device parallel IDE support
in the kernel
o enabled parallel IDE support for disks, tapes, floppy, cdroms, sewing
machines...
o verified that MoBo likes EPP for parallel port 0x378, IRQ7
o disabled any device that tries to get within 100 feet of the parallel
port ( parallel printer support, PLIP, etc. )

I now know the meaning of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it",

Tim

From: Doug Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TB Fiji & Digital I/O success
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 20:14:42 -0600

This isn't particularly ground-breaking, but questions on the TB Fiji
and Pinnacle cards come up every couple months, so I thought this was
worth posting.

I've been preparing to record my vinyl collection onto CD, and finally
have succeeded in recording my first album.  I'm using the Fiji w/ spdif
I/O option, and in the process of setting this up I've verified that
both the digital input and digital output work as expected.  I'm
recording using an external Symetrix 620 A/D, connected to the Fiji via
the digital input.  Aside from having to hack up a version of mix2000 to
allow setting the input source to Digital1, and some wierdness with
getting it to actually kick in (requires switching back and forth from
line to digital a couple times before it finally 'takes') it works
flawlessly.
 As an exercise, I also verified that the digital out worked - I hooked
an old AudioAlchemy D/A to the digital out, and that worked (although I
now realize that I forgot to check whether the mixer output level
affected the digital output. oh, well). The quality of the Fiji analog
output is better than the external DAC, so I don't see much point in
using the digital out unless you're transfering to another digital
medium or are doing further signal processing via dsp with it.

 I haven't yet done a comparison between the external A/D and the Fiji
A/D. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if the Fiji was as good,
but the 620 has a noise-shaped/dithered 16 bit output that gives me a
warm fuzzy feeling that I'm doing the best I can for my vinyl (in
reality, the noise floor is probably so high that it doesn't mak a bit
of difference, but there's the analog superstition for you).

Overall, I have to say that with buy.com blowing the Fiji w/ditial i/o
out for under $200, anybody looking for a semi-pro and/or home studio
recording setup should jump on this guy - it's performed extremely well.

I'll also put in a plug for 'gramofile' - a tool aimed at recording
analog (record or tap) collections onto CD - it 'automatically' splits a
single file up into multiple tracks (does pretty well, but isn't
perfect), and has a set of filters to help in scratch/pop removal etc.
It's still slightly rough, but it gets the job done.  Written by Anne
Bezemer (hope I got that right - a student in NL)   and available at
http://cardit.et.tudelft.nl/~card06/

------------------------------

From: James Knowles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.security.unix
Subject: Qube, NetWinder dead? What equivalent for office short of space?
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:13:43 +0000

Hi,

I've  SOHO (small office/home office) packed full of six computers right
now. It's a space nightmare. One machine is acting as a bastion firewall
to a dedicated  line. I'd like to set up two more machines, one for an
outer firewall (to create a DMZ) and one as a private web server inside
the DMZ. (I'd like to give access to some internal info while at client
sites -- without opening up the bastion at all.) I'm running Linux on
all machines save a couple which dual boot to Windows NT/98.

I've hunted for web pages for small computers like the Cobalt Qube and
the NetWinder, but have not found anything. I presume they've gone out
of business?

Are there other tiny Linux-capable computers with horsepower like these
two? Space is at a premium, otherwise we'd just toss in a couple of
normal machines.

Thanks for your suggestions!

James

------------------------------

From: James Knowles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Opinions? New Box.
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 19:59:11 +0000

Jim Shearer wrote:

> My current primary system is a 40mHz linux box.

This what I used pre-1.0 Linux on at a job site many years ago.

> Also, I'm not
> sure whether I'll go SCSI or EIDE.
> On the box, I'll be running kernel 2.2.10 and will be doing mostly coding
> and doc typesetting.  Games, netstuff, etc. also, of course.

Based on what you want to use this machine for, IDE will be fine for
you. I have an SMP server on which I'm running Oracle and RAID. I hit
the machine hard from time to time. SCSI works wonders for that machine.
All my other computers are IDE.

> I hardly ever read of suggestions regarding good displays.

I've had good luck with AOC monitors lately (17" Spectrum 7Glr/A). I
remember when AOC first came out and they were monitors to run away from
in my experience. It took a fast-talking salesman that I trust to get me
to try AOC again. Though older, I still love my 19" Princeton EO90.

I don't know whether cheap monitors are still different from their
pricier cousins. There used to be a big difference.

My half-nybble,

James

------------------------------

From: Rob Stockley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.windows.x.kde
Subject: Re: Mouse causes netscape to crash!
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:56:55 +1200

Albert Wagner wrote:

> Geez.  I was going to suggest that you check your serial devices
> to make sure that your mouse and modem weren't getting tangled.
Good point. setserial reports that both serial ports are configured
properly. If this was the case I would expect the modem to be having a
few problems. pppstats shows no packet errors.

> But you are obviously much more knowledgeable than me.
I'm just good at reading and can find my way around the net.

> Please keep us informed.  I too am on netscape, but my complaint
> is that the mouse cursor hotspot is offset several pixels, making
> it annoying to scroll and size.
Please provide details about the following;
        Your mouse type,
        XFree86 version,
        Window manager you use,
Then perhaps someone will be able to help solve your problem too.

--
Rob Stockley
Christchurch, NZ

------------------------------

From: Trung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: OKIDATA OL600e
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:47:45 -0500

Can anyone make the printer OKIDATA OL600e work under RedHat 6 (Kernel
2.2.15) using GNOME? Since the Kernel doesn't support OL600e, I've tried
to use the drive for "HPII/III with Compression TTF" & was able to print
the Postscript testing page. However, I just got blank sheets when
trying to use "ASCII Test Page" and "ASCII direct to port". And using
"lpr myfile.txt > /dev/lpd0" just causes the printer's LED blinking
forever (no paper jam) & nothing comes out. (My printer queue is "lpd0")

Thanks in advance for any help,

Trung Do

From: Joshua Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NEC Superscript 150c
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:15:01 GMT

Please tell me hoe to config an NEC superscript150c under COL2.2 to
print.

--
Joshua Li
[EMAIL PROTECTED]