Linux-Hardware Digest #861, Volume #10           Tue, 27 Jul 99 14:13:36 EDT

Contents:
  Re: drivers for Dimond Fire GL 1 ("Martin Knoblauch")
  Yamaha DS-XG (Lorenzo Scaldaferro)
  Re: Sound (SBLive)as Root only (Kevin)
  Re: Need advice on Building Linux-only box. (Abdullah Ramazanoglu)
  Re: ID'ing Celerons ("Jim Shearer")
  Why can my Linux only recognize 64M memory ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Qube, NetWinder dead? What equivalent for office short of space? (Kent Perrier)
  Re: AAA-13x (Mike Frisch)
  Re: third hd and slow boot (David Ripton)
  eth0 and 3Com 3c507 NIC card ("J. Guy Stalnaker")
  Re: setting up an isp (Brian McCullough)
  Re: Why can my Linux only recognize 64M memory (Mat Diss)
  hp-ux print to deskjet 895 or 890 using JetDirect (Thaler and Thomas)
  Re: Scanner Support (Joshua Li)
  Re: Linux Removal -> NT Installation problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: $299 linux pc hardware questions (Rod Roark)
  Re: Help with lilo and without floppydisk or bootable CDROM (Eugene Blanchard)
  Re: my hdparm specs question (Dan LaPine)
  Re: ID'ing Celerons (David Ripton)
  help soundcard NeoMagic  (Giacomo Mauro D'Ariano)
  Re: Need support for Asus V3800 Riva TNT2. (David C.)
  Re: IDE Disk Dead Dead Dead after X Config (John Patrick Krut)

From: "Martin Knoblauch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: drivers for Dimond Fire GL 1
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:37:46 +0200

Dan LaPine wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>RedHat 6.0 has drivers for the Diamond Fire GL 1000 and others with
>a Permedia or Permedia 2 chipset. During install use the 3DLabs driver
>and do NOT probe. I'm using that driver with a Fire GL Pro 1000 card
>right now.

 without being helpful, the FireGL1 is a completely different card based on
technology from "big blue". As it is relatively new, I doubt that there are
drivers already available. Best bet would be to ask the support folks at
Diamond.

Martin
Martin Knoblauch
Compaq Computer EMEA BV
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Std.Disclaimer: Not speaking for COMPAQ in any form on this medium

------------------------------

From: Lorenzo Scaldaferro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Yamaha DS-XG
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:02:31 +0200

Can someone tells me how to configure the sound card Yamaha DS-XG (part
of Intel SE440BX-2) under Linux RedHat 6?

Thanks, Lorenzo

------------------------------

From: Kevin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound (SBLive)as Root only
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 13:58:51 GMT

Gene,

Go to their Beta drivers. Last I looked it was specifically compiled for only
two kernel versions.

Kevin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Abdullah Ramazanoglu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need advice on Building Linux-only box.
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:06:50 +0300

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> ASUS P2B-F, Matrox Millenium G200, IBM Deskstar 6.4GB, 64 MB RAM
> drop the AMD and buy a Celeron 333-128KB-Slot1, cabinet+PS
                         ^^^^^^^           ^^^^^

I assume that you mean an overclocked celeron. Because there is no need
to buy a Slot1 (more expensive) otherwise. Compatibility for future
technologies? By the time he would want an upgrade, Slot1 will be a
history as well, so anyway he will buy a new mobo in future.

BTW, Celeron has better cost/benefit if -and only if- you overclock it.
Otherwise AMD gives the best bang for the buck.

--
Abdullah Ramazanoglu    ( aramazanoglu AT demirbank DOT com DOT tr )

------------------------------

From: "Jim Shearer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ID'ing Celerons
Date: 27 Jul 1999 13:35:33 GMT

Bryan <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just read that the FUD from intel is just that - they are cleverly
> marking retail boxes to scare folks but the early reviews indicate
> that the chips inside can't read the print on the boxes ;-)
> meaning: the cpus are NOT smp-disabled.

Hey.  This is great news!  Thanks.

--
James Shearer | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | remove spamblocker
                                            if replying by mail.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Why can my Linux only recognize 64M memory
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 13:51:17 GMT

I just installed a memory on my PII350 Box, so that I now have 160M
memory, but when I use "free" in my RedHat6.0 to check the memory, it
always reports that the total available memory is 64M, so how can I let
it recognize all 160M? Thank you!

From: Kent Perrier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.security.unix
Subject: Re: Qube, NetWinder dead? What equivalent for office short of space?
Date: 27 Jul 1999 09:34:52 -0500

James Knowles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Are there other tiny Linux-capable computers with horsepower like these
> two? Space is at a premium, otherwise we'd just toss in a couple of
> normal machines.

Take a look at http://www.cobaltnet.com/products/index.html and look at the
RaQ2.  It only take up 1 "U" of rack space so you can get about 30 of them in
a standard 19 inch rack.  Base price is about $1600

Kent

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Subject: Re: AAA-13x
Date: 27 Jul 1999 14:21:32 GMT

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:43:55 +0200, Micha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Does anyone know something about the driver availability
>for Adaptecs raid controllers - especially the AAA-130 ?

Not currently supported under Linux.  I do not believe Adaptec (or anybody
else) has said there will be support for these cards.  From what I've
heard, they're not that great anyway.  Look to ICP Vortex or Mylex for a
well supported hardware RAID card for Linux.

Mike.

  Mike Frisch                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Ripton)
Subject: Re: third hd and slow boot
Date: 27 Jul 1999 15:10:17 GMT

john w. connolly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>dmesg:
>ide0: buggy cmd640b interface on PCI (type2), config=0xbe

Yuck.  (I used to have an Intel Plato board with the
equally-buggy RZ1000 controller.  Before everyone knew it
was buggy, back when it was happily trashing data in
every multitasking OS.)  Just make sure to leave the
cmd640 workaround option turned on when you recompile the
kernel.

>hdc: NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:272, ATAPI CDROM drive
>hdd: WDC AC38400L, 8063MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=16383/16/63

As someone else said, swapping these might help.  Some
IDE drives, especially older ones, can be picky about
who's master and who's slave.  (How come the software
world got politically correct and changed master/slave
to client/server, but the IDE world didn't?  :-> )

>ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
>ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15 (serialized with ide0)
>
>Partition check:
> hda: hda1
> hdb: hdb1 hdb2 hdb3 hdb4
> hdd: hdd1 hdd2
>VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
>Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
>Max size:326630   Log zone size:2048
>First datazone:36   Root inode number 73728
>ISO9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A

My ATAPI drives identify much more cleanly than that.
Sometimes this is caused by having the controller set in
the BIOS to a newer PIO or DMA mode than the CDROM
understands.  If your BIOS allows it, try setting the
CDROM's controller to autodetect and/or force it to
something like PIO mode 2.  Or it could just be a
kernel version difference.  (I'm running 2.2.10)

I assume the CDROM works fine after the slow boot?

>bash# /sbin/fdisk -l
>
>   Device Boot  Begin   Start     End  Blocks   Id  System
>/dev/hdb1           1       1      51  102784+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
>/dev/hdb2          52      52     604 1114848   83  Linux native
>/dev/hdb3         605     605     613   18144   82  Linux swap
>/dev/hdb4         614     614     621   16128   82  Linux swap
>Warning: invalid flag 0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by
>w(rite)

Why two swap partitions?  If no good reason, combine
them.  Even if you don't do that, rewrite hdb4 to
eliminate the icky warning.  (Turn off swap first.)

>Disk /dev/hdc: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 621 cylinders
>Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes
>
>   Device Boot  Begin   Start     End  Blocks   Id  System
>The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 16383.
>This is larger than 1024, and may cause problems with:
>1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
>2) booting and partitioning software form other OSs
>   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

I just ran fdisk -l on a CDROM, and it said "Disk /dev/hdc
doesn't contain a valid partition table."  I think the CDROM
is your problem; something thinks it's a hard drive.  Or
maybe it's a kernel version difference.

If you're running a 2.0 kernel, upgrading to 2.2 just might
help.  There are some IDE-related fixes.

--
David Ripton    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
spamgard(tm): To email me, put "geek" in your Subject line.

------------------------------

From: "J. Guy Stalnaker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: eth0 and 3Com 3c507 NIC card
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:29:22 -0500

Here's the skinny:

Have the 3c507 driver compiled into the kernel.  On boot, card is
detected correctly at IRQ 10, Mem 0300, etc.  With the card's native
state alterred by its DOS configurator app so that ZeroWaitStates are
disabled and Turbo mode is set to Standard, dhcpcd now communicates with
our dhcp server [when it before did not] and, viola, we have a working
network.  Sorta.  What happens is that nominal net traffic produces no
problems.  If, however, I run a TCP/IP app (same results whether
Netscape inside X or ncftp at the command prompt, for example),
approximately 50-60 seconds after starting up and while the app is
sending/retrieving data, this starts:

eth0: Command unit stopped, status xxxx, restarting -OR-
eth0: Rx unit stopped, status xxxx, restarting.

xxxx is replaced by a variety of four-digit numbers: 0000, a000, a040,
1220, 4040,  5020, and 5220, with 4040 being by far the most numerous
entry.  These stopped/restarting messages are repeated hundreds of times
(yes, hundreds, as /var/log/messages confirms: the last command was
repeated 696 [or 739] times). These error messages will actually break
into the console as well as get listed in /var/log/messages.

Anyone have a clue what's going on?

My thanks,

Guy Stalnaker
--
*-------------------------------------------------------------*
                        J. Guy Stalnaker

------------------------------

From: Brian McCullough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: setting up an isp
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:42:17 -0500

chris pitzel wrote:
> >I need to setup 10 56k dialin connections on a Linux server.  ...

> You need one of those terminal servers...special lines must be
> digitally delivered ... and not analog-delivered.  You *cannot* use
> conventional 56k modems.

Why does does he need to go digital on all of his phone lines.  I ran a
small isp for over a year with analog lines and conventional 56k modems.
His clients will be using analog lines to the phone company anyway.
If this guy could afford all the equipment you suggest, he could hire
someone to do this for him.

> >Any recomendations on hardware would be apreciated.(I haven't done
> >this before, so info on anything related would help me out, i.e.
> >modem pools)
>
> Do some more research.  What you're trying to do cannot be accomplisehd
> without the help of your phone company, and the purchase of some very
> specialized equipment.

Yes, you need to talk to you phone company rep. but do not get the
lines with long distance connection, this should save a couple of bucks
a month on the phone lines.

Here is a list of the hardware I used.
1   CSU/DSU
1   Linux server - Dec Alpha
    - mail
    - web server
    - dns
    - radius server
1   3com 16 port hub
1   PortMaster p2e
16  usr modems
    - analog

------------------------------

From: Mat Diss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Why can my Linux only recognize 64M memory
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:55:53 +0100

When you boot you need to specify the memory on the boot line

e.g  linux mem=160M

Mat.

From: Thaler and Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: hp-ux print to deskjet 895 or 890 using JetDirect
Date: 27 Jul 1999 15:31:49 GMT

Greetings,

Has someone solved the problem of HP-UX printing postscript, pdf, or html
files to a Deskjet 895Cse?  If yes, please tell me about it.  If you have
any ideas, plese tell me.

I have an HP-UX 10.20 workstation with LAN access to a Deskjet 895Cse
printer connected to the LAN through a JetDirect 170 box.  JetAdmin can set
up the printer but the result only works for text files, not for postscript,
pdf, or html.

I believe I can set up the system to run programs such as ghostview,
arcroread, and (I don't know what) to process postscript, pdf, and html
files respectively and then send the results as raw data, i.e. lp -oraw, to
the Deskjet.

Does any resource exist, e.g.  ftp or web site, that suggests the best or a
standard way to do this?  Perhaps it would explain how to modify the
printer's spool file to determine what program to use to process the file
and then feed the input through that program.  E.g.  use -o option of lp or
the file suffix if input comes from file rather than stdin. Then the user
could use lp command and not have to run the conversion programs separately.

The following script works but not quite correctly. The resolution seems
wrong (looks like 300 instead of 600) and color wrong (dark and not
as many as the original hass).

/opt/ghostscript/bin/gs -q \
  -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=cdj550 -sOutputFile=- - \
  |lp -oraw -d deskjet

Sincerely,
Bill Thomas

------------------------------

From: Joshua Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scanner Support
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:20:35 GMT

Matthias Kilian wrote:

> > All right, I checked SANE page, and it says it's in alpha, So I have to
> > wait.
>
> Why don't you give the alpha driver a try?
>
> Kili

I can't find a download, the canon entry in the progress table doesn't lead
to anywhere.
If someone know where i can find it, I'll be grateful. (BTW, I personally
don't care if it is alpha or omega, as long as it works)

--
Joshua Li
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux Removal -> NT Installation problem
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:44:34 GMT

In article <impi3.5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anders Buch) wrote:
> In article <7md1ni$a6f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Nova  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Well, I removed all the partitions from my hardrive in order to
install NT,
> >Inserted the boot diskette for Nt and continued onward....  The
install
> >proceed smoothtly, until.....The restart, Upon the resteart the
Letters LI
> >appeared, a ghostlike reminder of the Linux (or rather LILO) that
once
> >lived on this machine, after the LI appears it freezes.....
> >I reformatted the drive for Fat, and tried NTFS, I created one
single
> >partition for NT, yet the computer continues to give me the LI, and
then a
> >freeze...
> >Can you help to alleviate this problem, All help is greatly
appreciated,,,
> >Thnx,
>
> Your "problem" is that LILO is still sitting on the master boot
record (MBR)
> of your hard disk.  For some reason windoze products have the belief
that
> only their boot programs can reside there...
>
> If you have an old dos boot floppy, it might work to boot in dos from
that
> disk and then give the command
>
> fdisk /mbr
>
> This should overwrite the MBR program with Micro$oft's (old?)
version, and
> possibly you can continue from there.
>
> If it works, enjoy your New Troubles!
>
> --
> Anders Skovsted Buch           E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 2072 East Hall                 Phone:  (734) 477-9052
> 525 East University Ave
> Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1109

I have had the same problem. I did a fdisk /mbr and re-booted with the
NT installation cd. I created partitions and the initial completed.
When the machine rebooted to continue the installation, I got the
message "no operating system found" from the BIOS.

Im kind of lost on where to go from that....

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: $299 linux pc hardware questions
Date: 27 Jul 1999 17:24:14 GMT

Richard Petty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>Just out of curiosity, who still makes 3-button mice? I have seen one
>>on the market for some time.
>
>   http://www.allusb.com/Products_Mice.html
>
>This lists USB sources only, but ought to get the message across about how
>many vendors are making 3-button mice...

Logitech has a perfectly decent and cheap PS/2 model.  Works great
for me.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 01:10:16 -0600
From: Eugene Blanchard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with lilo and without floppydisk or bootable CDROM

Modify /etc/lilo.conf to add a new boot option. Check out the examples
in /usr/lib/lilo I believe. Then type lilo to rewrite the mess.
Hopefully, you should be able to choose between the old and the new
configurations. Just to let you know, it's going to be a pain.

From: Dan LaPine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: my hdparm specs question
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:25:05 -0500

John Jacques wrote:

> The rpm -qa line didn't work, but "hdparm -qa /dev/hda" did:
>
> Linux johnjac 2.2.6 #95 Tue Apr 27 19:10:37 CDT 1999 i586 unknown
>
> /dev/hda:
>  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  4.24 seconds =30.19 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  6.15 seconds =10.41 MB/sec
>
> /dev/hda:
>  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  5.91 seconds =21.66 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  5.34 seconds =11.99 MB/sec
> Hmm.. suspicious results: probably not enough free memory for a proper
> test.
>
> /dev/hda:
>  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  3.58 seconds =35.75 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  5.77 seconds =11.09 MB/sec
>
> /dev/hda:
>  multcount    =  0 (off)
>  I/O support  =  0 (default 16-bit)
>  unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
>  using_dma    =  1 (on)
>  keepsettings =  0 (off)
>  nowerr       =  0 (off)
>  readonly     =  0 (off)
>  readahead    =  8 (on)
>  geometry     = 1313/255/63, sectors = 21095424, start = 0
> ---------------------------------

There ya go, you don't have multicount, i/o, or unmaskirq on. My drives
run like snails without these options.

WARNING: the following advice could cause very bad things to happen! Read
the man page! That said, it works for me...

try running /sbin/hdparm -c 1 -d 1 -u 1 -m 16 /dev/hda
which will set all these parameters. Run your system for a few days and
see if it works ok. If it goes well, add that line to the end of
/etc/rc.d/rc.local
to keep using it after a reboot.

my current stats on a PII-333 w/ 128megs SDRAM

/dev/hda:
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 I/O support  =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 nowerr       =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    =  8 (on)
 geometry     = 1027/255/63, sectors = 16514064, start = 0
[root@blackland downloads]# /sbin/hdparm -tTi /dev/hda

/dev/hda:

 Model=IBM-DHEA-38451, FwRev=HP8OA20C, SerialNo=SH0SH142
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=28
 BuffType=3(DualPortCache), BuffSize=472kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
 DblWordIO=no, maxPIO=2(fast), DMA=yes, maxDMA=2(fast)
 CurCHS=1027/255/63, CurSects=-66060037, LBA=yes, LBAsects=16514064
 tDMA={min:120,rec:120}, DMA modes: sword0 sword1 sword2 mword0 mword1
mword2
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, PIO modes: mode3 mode4

 Timing buffer-cache reads:   64 MB in  0.86 seconds =74.42 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  32 MB in  3.43 seconds = 9.33 MB/sec

and for drive 2

/dev/hdb:

 Model=Maxtor 90845D4, FwRev=GAS54112, SerialNo=A40BZC7C
 Config={ Fixed }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=29
 BuffType=3(DualPortCache), BuffSize=256kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
 DblWordIO=no, maxPIO=2(fast), DMA=yes, maxDMA=2(fast)
 CurCHS=1027/255/63, CurSects=-66060037, LBA=yes, LBAsects=16514064
 tDMA={min:120,rec:120}, DMA modes: mword0 mword1 mword2
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, PIO modes: mode3 mode4

 Timing buffer-cache reads:   64 MB in  0.84 seconds =76.19 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  32 MB in  2.18 seconds =14.68 MB/sec

If you wanna get leading edge, go to http://www.freshmeat.com, find
powertweak and try that to further optimize your ide stuff.

Dan LaPine
lapine @ uiuc . edu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Ripton)
Date: 27 Jul 1999 16:39:31 GMT

In article <7nja21$l93$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jim Shearer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'd like to build a dual Celeron (366) machine using an abit BP6
>mainboard. I will be ordering the processors tomorrow (hopefully).
>However, I have read in this NG that Celerys week 26 (and presumably
>later) will not work in dual mode.  This is rather disheartening.  I would
>also like to muck about with overclocking, so I'm looking at a week 14
>processor (or later), correct?

Week 26 CPUs are fine.  (Actually, overclockers.com rated week 26
excellent.)  Week 27 retail boxes have the "for Uniprocessor
systems only" labels.  No end-user confirmation of crippled chips
yet, but if I were buying today I'd got for week 14-26 just to
be sure.  I've tried week 8 and week 25 Celeron 366s.  Both did
SMP fine, but the week 25 chips run 100% stable at 533.5, while
the week 8 chips couldn't quite handle 506.

>I'll will be ordering the processors from one of the various online
>resellers, based on current prices and ratings, etc -- the usual guides.
>This is where I require an experienced Celeron ordered/owner/whatever.
>How do identify which week the processor was manufactured?  More to the
>point, how do I make sure that the sales fellow at the other end o' the
>phone will order me up a SMP capable (and hopefully, o'clockable)
>Celeron?  Which identifying numbers on the processors provide this
>information?  Is this generally available to the sales people, or are you
>at the mercy of (gak) luck?  Or, would ordering a celery tomorrow more or
>less guarantee a pre week 26 Celeron? If not, I plan to bite the price
>bullet and get a "pre-tested" mobo/processor combo.

Consider buy your Celerons from a local store or computer show
instead of mail-ordering them, so you can read the numbers before
you buy.  A local shop had week 25 OEM 366s for $80, versus $60 +
shipping for random 366s on the net, or $120 for "guaranteed" CPUs.
(Read the fine print on the guarantee; some are of the "it worked
at 550 for us in our tests, but we can only guarantee 366 in
your system" variety).

The numbers are on the outside of the box (retail) and the bottom
of the CPU (OEM).  L9XX...  XX is the week number; you want L914
through L926.  (Or possibly higher, if the SMP-crippling rumors
turn out to be false.)  The fans on the retail CPUs are pretty
good, BTW.  You can of course do better, but for a lot more.

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 18:42:58 +0200
From: Giacomo Mauro D'Ariano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help soundcard NeoMagic

I've Linux installed on a Acer TravelMate 720TX.

No way to get the sound card working. According to Acer it should be
a NMA2 (Neomagic) 16bit Saundblaster pro (sw integrated audio,
integrated control).

It seems that it doesn't work as a Sondblaster anyway...

Help will be greately appreciated!

Mauro.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Subject: Re: Need support for Asus V3800 Riva TNT2.
Date: 27 Jul 1999 12:28:51 -0400

"Ian Willmore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I've got the above mentioned display card and want to eventually run
> Redhat 6 on my new machine but am concerned about support for my
> display card.
>
> Will appreciate any help.

I don't have that card, but I do have a similar one.  I've got the
Creative Labs 3D-Blaster Riva-TNT (16M PCI) card.

XFree86 version 3.3.1 (the latest rev, AFAIK) supports it fine.  Pick
the generic "Riva TNT" drive from xf86config.  Use the SVGA server.

I'm running mine at 1360x1024 at 16-bit color.  No problems.

-- David

------------------------------

From: John Patrick Krut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE Disk Dead Dead Dead after X Config
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 13:00:35 -0400

You can also try booting up from a floppy that
has fdisk on it (I use the win98 boot disk) and
use fdisk to "Set active partition" - no guarantee
that it will work, but it's worth a try...

--

      HaveAGoodLife * * * * * * * ResistanceIsFutile