Linux-Hardware Digest #862, Volume #10           Tue, 27 Jul 99 16:13:36 EDT

Contents:
  Re: what the hell is up with my mouse? ("Andrew J. Norman")
  Q: CD-R Drive: Philips or Hewlett Packard? (Servaas Goossens)
  Re: S3Trio 3D and Red Hat 5.1 (Adam Constabaris)
  Re: Help!! Red Hat 6.0 & S3 Trio 3D (Adam Constabaris)
  Re: Why can my Linux only recognize 64M memory (Artur Swietanowski)
  printer-problem (Jim)
  Re: speed tests (Abdullah Ramazanoglu)
  Re: Support for 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee (Sinner from the Prairy)
  HP ("Jake_Paws")
  Re: Q: UMAX Astra 1220S Flatbed Scanner (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Hardware Problems causing Sig 11.... (David Mcilroy)
  Re: Need advice on Building Linux-only box. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: HP false advertising!!!! ("David J. Topper")
  Re: Why is module st0 (SCSI tape drive) always loaded? (Michael Meissner)
  Trouble using Trident cyber9320 on X server ("Stephan Cote")
  Re: my hdparm specs question (David Ripton)
  Re: WTD: Sound card/video card advice (Me Here)
  Re: Linux Removal -> NT Installation problem (Gerald Willmann)
  scroller for logitech OEM Model M-S48 (Pedro Sam)
  digital microscope camera (Matthew Fleming)
  Re: Need advice on Building Linux-only box. (David Ripton)
  Re: Opinions? New Box. (David Ripton)

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,redhat.general
From: "Andrew J. Norman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: what the hell is up with my mouse?
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 07:10:22 GMT

First locate the protocol that your mouse supports (by this I mean whether
it is a generic PS2 as you have described, or whether it supports the
extended comandsets of the Microsoft IntelliMouse series or Logitech
FirstMouse+ and MouseMan+ series.) With this information in hand run the
mouseconfig utility (as root) and configure your mouse initially as a
generic PS2 (this protocol will work with any PS2 style mouse.)  Once you
have done this you MUST stop and restart "gpm" (the console mouse driver)
to do this on a redhat 5.2 system issue the command sequence:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/gpm stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/gpm start

If you wiggle your mouse it should now appear.

If it does not check to see that the file "/dev/mouse" is really a
symbolic link to "/dev/psaux"  If it is not or if it does not exist you
must recreate it.  Use a sequence such as:

ln -sf /dev/psaux /dev/mouse

Once this is working make sure that pointer section of your XF86Config is
properly set up.  You should have lines similar to the following:

Section "Pointer"
  Protocol "PS/2"
  Device   "/dev/mouse"

Additional options can be included.  Consult the man on XF86Config
(sections 4/5)

        Andrew J. Norman
Dept. of Physics                        Phone: 757-221-3571
College of William & Mary               [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
 what is essential is invisible to the eye" -The Little Prince

------------------------------

From: Servaas Goossens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Q: CD-R Drive: Philips or Hewlett Packard?
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 19:11:49 +0200

I'm about to buy a CD-recorder.
Can anyone recommend the Philips CDRW 400 (aka 460CDRW)?

Any good/bad experiences with this drive under Linux?

Does anybody have good/bad experience with Philips Customer Support?

I am also considering HP 8100i, but it is more expensive
and has only 1Mb buffer memory (CDRW400 has 2Mb).

(Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED])
Thanks
Servaas.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Adam Constabaris)
Subject: Re: S3Trio 3D and Red Hat 5.1
Date: 27 Jul 1999 15:34:01 GMT

marc broomhead ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: can anyone please tell me how to get the "startx" programme working with  a
: built in AGP graphics card on motherboard using  "S3 Trio 3D"  chipset.

: I cannot seem to find the correct drive and Red Hat 5.1 doesn't seem to find
: it automatically

Steaming-fresh Xfree 3.3.4 is the first release to include Trio3D support beyond
'vanilla' VGA.

Can't recall off the top of my head whether RH 5.1 has new enough libraries to use the
compiled binaries that are
available, but poke around a bit.

HTH,

AC

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Adam Constabaris)
Subject: Re: Help!! Red Hat 6.0 & S3 Trio 3D
Date: 27 Jul 1999 15:35:16 GMT

James ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I've searched the www.Xfree86.org and it said 3.3.4 has been released on
: July 21 and S3 Trio 3D chipset is supported in this new release.  But I
: went thru the web page and find no place to download this release.

ftp or http to ftp.xfree.org/pub/3.3.4

Better yet, use a mirror.

HTH,

AC

------------------------------

From: Artur Swietanowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Why can my Linux only recognize 64M memory
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:37:07 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I just installed a memory on my PII350 Box, so that I now have 160M
> memory, but when I use "free" in my RedHat6.0 to check the memory, it
> always reports that the total available memory is 64M

There should be nothing for you to do. Linux kernel in RH 6.0 can
use something like 1G or even 4G (I don't remember - it's not a
problem for me yet).

On some systems it was possible to create a memory hole (set up in
BIOS) and Linux would no longer see memory above the hole. Maybe
this is your problem.

Artur Swietanowski                    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Institut für Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
Universität Wien,     Universitätsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

From: Jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: printer-problem
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 18:01:20 GMT

Hi out there!

My HP Laserjet 6L prints under linux (SuSE Linux 6.1 / kernel 2.2.7)
only weird characters (1 line on each page).

I compiled the kernel (for parallel port support, pc-type, etc.) and
chose ljet5 gray in yast, but it doesn't function.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
jim

------------------------------

From: Abdullah Ramazanoglu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: speed tests
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:53:05 +0300

wlparker wrote:

> Justin Miller wrote:
> > I'm going to be doing some tweaking to my system soon. I'll be adding
> > another harddrive and reconfiguring the partitions and will be playing
> > with overclocking. What I'm looking for is some sort of benchmark test
> > so I can see how much performance I gain. I would like to test for
> > inproved cpu power and inproved disk i/o independantly if possible.
> >
> > I was thinking that compiling a kernel might be a good test of cpu
> > speed, and perhaps large file writes and reads, but I'm not sure of the
> > best way to test that.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest anything?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Justin
> >

> I am also interested in good testing programs,  but I am more interested in
> finding a test suite that will evaluate the stability of the overclocked
> system.  Any suggestions?
> Thanks,
> wlparker

I don't know such a program, but to test it you can disable all power
saving features in BIOS and Linux, select all the modules offered, and
do "make modules | tee -a /root/garbaj" or something similar in a
continuous loop. Leave it for several days. If it survives thru without
any signal-11/5/7 etc. (search "signal" in /root/garbaj) then it should
be OK.
Note: If you get Sig-11 also try this stress test with normal clock
speed, because Sig-11 may also be (usually) caused by faulty/marginal
memory chips.

I had C333 o/c 500 working without a glitch. But when I tried kernel
compile it was freezing at some point, so I reduced it to 475 until I
improve cooling (sanding). It was only the kernel compilation that
caused it hang.

--
Abdullah Ramazanoglu    ( aramazanoglu AT demirbank DOT com DOT tr )

------------------------------

From: Sinner from the Prairy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.help
Subject: Re: Support for 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 19:42:59 +0200

David Casey wrote:

>    Just in case not everyone already knew, I found a web site with
> directions on how to get Linux to support that Diamond Monster Fusion
> video card (or any other Voodoo card) that you might have gone out
> and bought.  It is pretty detailed, and I really have no idea how to
> actually do it, but it does give some help.  The web site is:
> www.uno.edu/~adamico/banshee/

> Dave Casey

I rather prefer the http://glide.xxedgexx.com web that deals with a X
Server instead of the adamico one that deals with the framebuffer.

My 5c.

Sinner
--
...I've already seen STAR WARS I: The Phantom Menace...
[MaDuiXa PoWeR] http://www.maduixa.8m.com

------------------------------

From: "Jake_Paws" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 00:52:04 -0600

If you like hp. Don't purchase the 7XX series. This will only work under
windows. the 69X or the 88X will both emulate anything from a hp deskjet and
up. I have had no problem using my hp 880c under hp 500c. Slackware 3.5 and
apsfilter.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Q: UMAX Astra 1220S Flatbed Scanner
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Jul 1999 10:47:08 -0400

David Dahl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I was hoping someone who has successfully set up a UMAX or
> other scanner could possibly see where I've gone wrong and
> lend a hand.  Thanks in advance.

I suspect your scsi card just isn't up to it.  My tekram DC-390U handles the
1220S just fine once I got an DB50->??25 scsi cable (and of course put on the
terminator that came with the 1220S).  I've seen it at onsale and other places
for about $70.  Whether or not a cheaper scsi card (such as the TekRam DC-390
without a suffix which uses an AMD controller, or an Adaptec 1505 ISA
controller would work I dunno.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886

------------------------------

From: David Mcilroy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hardware Problems causing Sig 11....
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:16:09 -0400

Kudos again to this site--I had not once succeeded, until I swapped out the
K6-2-300 for a pentium 100.  It worked; I took the K6-2 back (thankfully it
was still warranted), and got a 350.

David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Need advice on Building Linux-only box.
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 18:45:33 GMT

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:06:50 +0300, Abdullah Ramazanoglu
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I assume that you mean an overclocked celeron. Because there is no need
> to buy a Slot1 (more expensive) otherwise.

As far as I know Asus P2B-F is only available with Slot 1 so no matter
what CPU you buy it will have to be a Slot 1.

------------------------------

From: "David J. Topper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: HP false advertising!!!!
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:51:08 -0400

Burns MacDonald wrote:

> In the meantime, try a more reasoned adult-like approach and don't
> burden us with your juvenile hysterics. Besides, this is off-topic for
> the comp.sys.intel newsgroup. Try not to x-post again.

Sorry for the burden, but nobody forced you to read this thread.  I think
it's a toss up whether or not it's off topic.  I've alerted people to some
shady business practice on the part of HP, specifically wrt. timeliness
announcements regarding a specific Intel chip.  That seems somewhat
on-topic.

> > Lies are bad ... just like poorly written operating systems.
> >
> And jerks are just jerks, regardless of the operating system they use.

A very reasoned, adult-like response.  To which I'll reply, "Sticks and
stones ..." or perhaps "I'm rubber and you're glue ..."

I can't understand why a reasoned, adult-like person like yourself would
fail to appreciate the virtues of honesty, which are often so rare in the
businessworld.  But then again, perhaps I can.

DT
--
David Topper
Technical Director - Virginia Center for Computer Music

Subject: Re: Why is module st0 (SCSI tape drive) always loaded?
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Jul 1999 11:10:38 -0400

Bob Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In comp.os.linux.hardware Steve Snyder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : On my all-SCSI system (RedHat v6.0, kernel v2.2.10) I build the CD-ROM
> : and tape drive support as modules.  (These devices are rarely used so
> : there's no need to have the device drivers for them occupy RAM all the
> : time.)  I notice, though, that the module for the SCSI tape drive,
> : "st0.o", is loaded at boot time and never removed.
>
> : Can anyone explain this to me?  Thank you.
>
> I have the opposite problem. I have a SCSI tape drive yet when I installed
> RH 6.0 out of the box it did not create the st module. How do I create it?
>
> : ***** Steve Snyder *****

To answer the original question, quoting from /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:

# If a SCSI tape has been detected, load the st module unconditionally
# since many SCSI tapes don't deal well with st being loaded and unloaded
if [ -f /proc/scsi/scsi ] && cat /proc/scsi/scsi | grep -q 'Type:   Sequential-Access'
2>/dev/null ; then
        if cat /proc/devices | grep -qv ' 9 st' ; then
                if [ -n "$USEMODULES" ] ; then
                        # Try to load the module.  If it fails, ignore it...
                        modprobe st 2>/dev/null
                fi
        fi
fi

You might want to try commenting the above lines out and/or explicitly
unloading the tape driver afterwards, and see if your scsi driver/tape drive
can handle being unloaded.  Note if your tape drive is not used daily to dump
at least the incrementals, you don't get much protection if you have to restore
files IMHO.

From: "Stephan Cote" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trouble using Trident cyber9320 on X server
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 18:58:04 GMT

Using a IBM ThinkPad 365SX for a station on Linux Mandrake 6.0 all goes well
during the installation but, the X server doesn`t want to do more than
640x480x16colors. Really not great for normal usage. Can someone tell me how
to configure my trident cyber9320 or where a can find a xfreeserver for this
card. Try many trident cyber93XX or trident tguiXXXX but no one work very
find. My video card is abel to do 800x600x256Colors. Thankx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Ripton)
Subject: Re: my hdparm specs question
Date: 27 Jul 1999 18:13:20 GMT

John Jacques  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Below are my hdparm specs. They look GREAT, but, my fileio is terrible.
>I have 32 EDO and 64 SDRAM installed. Do you think using ONLY SDRAM will
>speed things up alot? Is there anything I can set to increase  the drive
>performance?

>ABIT PX5 430TX
>32 megs EDO, 64 megs SDRAM
>/dev/hda is UDMA 33 EIDI- 10 gig.
>Pentium 233MMX

The 430TX chipset only caches a maximum of 64 MB.  The extra
32 MB may be slowing your system down, not because it's EDO
but because it's uncached.  But if you really need more than
64 MB on a regular basis, uncached memory is a lot faster
than a swapfile.

Pull the EDO and see if your machine gets faster.

--
David Ripton    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
spamgard(tm): To email me, put "geek" in your Subject line.

------------------------------

From: Me Here <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WTD: Sound card/video card advice
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 02:08:46 -0500

Terrell wrote:

> I'm currently looking at building a computer for linux/windows dual boot. It
> will be primarily used for linux, but I will be booting into windows for
> games/DVD.
>
> I would like to have a good 3D card for games, and that is also supported
> with linux. I will be running RH 6.0. I was initially planning on getting a
> rage 128 and a SB live, but after reading about the problems some people are
> having getting them to work, I don't think I'm up for that much work. (I'm a
> bit of a newbie to linux)
>
> anyhow, and help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
>
> -Terrell Smith

The SB Live (live-value in my case) works very well on my RH6.0 box.  Their
website (www.sblive.com ?) even has Linux drivers for it. Their driver comes
with simple, clear instructions and even an install script which may do it
automatically for you. The only part that may be tricky for a newbie is making
sure that the kernel is configured with sound support as a module, but I'm
quite sure that the prebuilt kernel that installs with RH6 is already
configured that way.

Can't help you with the rage 128, but I can highly suggest the SB Live-Value
(The SB Live would be good too, but I couldn't justify the extra $$ for myself)

------------------------------

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Removal -> NT Installation problem
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:15:17 -0700

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have had the same problem. I did a fdisk /mbr and re-booted with the
> NT installation cd. I created partitions and the initial completed.
> When the machine rebooted to continue the installation, I got the
> message "no operating system found" from the BIOS.
> Im kind of lost on where to go from that....

slightly off topic for a linux ng don't you think.
How about calling M$ and asking how to install
their product which I hope you paid a lot of $$$
for.
             Gerald

From: Pedro Sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: scroller for logitech OEM Model M-S48
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:21:44 -0400

Hi, I'm trying to get the scroller on my Logitech OEM Model M-S48 mouse
to work with X.  Have anyone had any luck with this particular mouse and
in particular Zaxismapping?  I heard a rumor some where that this OEM
version of logitech M-S48 doesn't work with Z because the circuit board
is made by Zoltrix, but the boxed version does?

Pedro.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Fleming)
Subject: digital microscope camera
Date: 27 Jul 1999 18:47:47 GMT

Folks,

I am looking for a digital microscope camera and would like some
recommendations. Resolution does not have to be stratospheric, 1K x 1K
should do. But I would like something that would work under Linux if
at all possible. Apparently there are Linux drivers for the Polaroid
DMC (they work under sane, the Linux scanner interface) but I don't
know anything about them. There is also a collection of digital camera
drivers for Linux called gphoto, but its unclear that they work with
any microscope cameras.

Please reply to my e-mail.  Thanks in advance for the info,

Matthew Fleming
Matthew G. Fleming, MD                  phone : 414.456.4072
Associate Professor                     fax   : 414.456.6518
Department of Dermatology               s-mail: Dept. of Dermatology
Medical College of Wisconsin                    Medical College of Wisconsin
                                                MFRC Room 4061
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                             Milwaukee, WI 53226-4810

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Ripton)
Date: 27 Jul 1999 19:14:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:06:50 +0300, Abdullah Ramazanoglu
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> I assume that you mean an overclocked celeron. Because there is no need
>> to buy a Slot1 (more expensive) otherwise.
>
>As far as I know Asus P2B-F is only available with Slot 1 so no matter
>what CPU you buy it will have to be a Slot 1.

No, that's what the slotket adapters are for.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Ripton)
Subject: Re: Opinions? New Box.
Date: 27 Jul 1999 19:13:07 GMT

In article <7ni65g$ieo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jim Shearer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>My current primary system is a 40mHz linux box.  I'm sorry if this has
>induced catatonia in some of you.  Those who survived unscathed, prepare to
>share in my joy.  After five years, I'm finally building a new box.  After
>a week or so hanging about in this NG, and observing the success so many
>people are enjoying with SMP boxes, I'm going to (hopefully) do the same.
>The following are my hardware favorites:
>
>-Abit BP6
>-couple o' Celeron 366's

>From 40 MHz to 2 x 366?  You will be extremely happy, for a few weeks.
Then you'll be spoiled, and machines four times as fast as your old
box will become dogs.

>-Matrox G200 (8 or 16MB -- some trouble with the 16s?)

I don't know of trouble with them, but do you have a use for the extra
memory?  Some texture-happy 3D games will benefit, but that's about it.
(If you're really into 3D games, think G400/TNT2/Voodoo3 instead of
G200.)

>-128MB PC100

>These choices are mostly the result of tips gleaned from this NG.  Any
>further comments on the above would be appreciated greatly.  Also, I'm not
>sure whether I'll go SCSI or EIDE.  I haven't seen too much discussion
>about the ongoing development of UDMA66 support.  Die hards, try to convice
>me to go with your favorite.  As it stands, a UDMA drive has my eye only
>for price reasons.

SCSI is better.  IDE is cheaper, and good enough for most desktops.
I have an IBM 22GXP and it's plenty fast for me.  I'd love a 10000
RPM Cheetah or Ultrastar even more, but it would cost almost as
much as the rest of my computer put together, and there are better
things to do with the money.  (Okay, actually my wife's making me
spend it on curtains, which are clearly NOT one of those
things.  :-< )

UDMA/66 is irrelevant right now.  UDMA/33 is not a bottleneck.
When IDE drives reach the point where UDMA/33 is a bottleneck in
a year or two, UDMA/66 will be needed.  Until then, UDMA/66
controllers are better left unused, while the drivers get ported
then mature.  I'll run beta video drivers or beta sound card
drivers, but hard disk controllers had better be 100% reliable,
unless you really enjoy restoring backups.

>Lastly, I would like suggestions/advice about monitor
>purchase.  I hardly ever read of suggestions regarding good displays.  I've

Read comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware video.  It's mostly 3D card flamewars,
but there's also good monitor info.  19" monitors are the current
sweet spot, but 21" monitors are a lot cheaper than they used
to be, especially if you buy last year's model.  (Which means that
you can only run 1800x1440 instead of 2048x1536.  :-> )

>always assumed that generic monitors and major branded monitors were
>basically the same as long as the specs were the same.  This assumption has
>no base in fact or experience, so its basically worthless.  Can anyone
>offer monitor shopping tips?

The specs don't always tell the whole story.  Sometimes they lie
(e.g. Hitachi quoting only the horizontal component of the dot
pitch, to make their .27mm monitors look like .22mm monitors) and
some things like color quality just don't quantify well.  Read
all the reviews you can, then try to look at several models with
your own eyes.  (It's hard, because most computer stores only
carry one or two decent models and a pile of junk.)  Your monitor
will be with you for a long time (if you kept a 40 MHz CPU this
long, a nice new monitor may outlive you :-> ), so pick wisely.