From: Abdullah Ramazanoglu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: speed tests
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:49:59 +0300

Abdullah Ramazanoglu wrote:
> I don't know such a program, but to test it you can disable all power
> saving features in BIOS and Linux, select all the modules offered, and
> do "make modules | tee -a /root/garbaj" or something similar in a
> continuous loop. Leave it for several days. If it survives thru without

A better and simpler test :
Login as user from a VT and...

$sync                   # just in case if it crashes
$nice top d0            # 100% CPU utilization without blocking the performance

It puts my CPU on oven :-)
It's important to run it from a VT because if you run it from xterm, X
and xterm takes away half of CPU cycles without being "nice" to you.
That hinders your normal working performance.
--
Abdullah Ramazanoglu    [ aramazanoglu AT demirbank DOT com DOT tr ]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Subject: Re: What PCI sound cards supported by SuSE 6.1
Date: 27 Jul 1999 17:10:47 -0400

Roland Behunin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Well, it says there is some support for PCI sound cards.  The one that
> came with my computer was not supported, and a Spacewalker PCI
> Wavetable sound card was not support (one I had around here).
>
> Anyway, if I am going to go looking for a PCI sound card - what one do
> I want?
>
> (I have the only ISA slot in my computer using the SCSI card for my
> scanner).

I don't have a list, but I think you'll definitely be safe using
anything that's compatible with Creative Labs' SoundBlaster-16 chipset.
That's an incredibly popular, generic, and well-supported chipset.  Even
if nothing else works, that one should.

-- David

------------------------------

From: "Ron Tucker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: x
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 18:32:49 -0400

From: "Ron Tucker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Voodoo3
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 18:34:52 -0400

I just installed redhat 5.2.   I seem to remember reading that 3dfx voodoo3
cards are not supported but can be made to
work.  Can anyone point me in the right direction of how this is possible.
Not being able to use my video card makes x look awful...         TIA

------------------------------

From: "Robert C. Paulsen, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: HP Colorado 5Gb tape backup
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:07:06 -0500

Richard McClary wrote:

> My boss & I just spent about an hour trying to set up backups on our new
> linux box (RH 6).  The tape device is an HP Colorado 5 Gb (Travan?),
> internal EIDE.
>
> We are not able to mount this device correctly.  FWIW, the boss is an
> HP-UX administrator with umpteen yr unix experience.
>
> We HAVE tried mounting what appear to be appropriate device names from
> the command line, and we have attempted using the BRU package in X.
>
> Anyone have success mounting this drive?  TIA

Do not mount the device. Tape drives are accessed directly as
devices, not as mounted file systems. I don't know what the EIDE
tape devices are called, but SCSI tapes can be accessed as

        /dev/st0 or /dev/rmt0   (The "rewinding" names)
        /dev/nst0 or /dev/nrm0  ("non rewinding")

See if the following works (substitute proper device names):

        mt -f /dev/rmt0 status

If this gives reasonable results, try:

        tar cvf /dev/rmt0 /etc

The tar command should write the entire /etc directory to tape.

Robert Paulsen                         http://paulsen.home.texas.net
If my return address contains "ZAP." please remove it. Sorry for the
inconvenience but the unsolicited email is getting out of control.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: BP6 with Linux
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 21:57:14 GMT

So can anyone tell me how the BP6's DMA/66 controllers works w/ Linux?

From: MJB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Cards (standard?)
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:13:31 -0700

Is there a standard driver for basic sound cards?  I don' think Linux
recognizes my cheap-o $20 sound card (Inland).  Can someone help?
-Mike

------------------------------

From: "Lee Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing Solaris 7 on Intel
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:13:59 -0500

pranade wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

|I know this is wrong group, but expect somebody to help me.

Not a bad assumption. ;-)

|To all dedicated Solaris user,

|I have a problem installing SunOS Release 5.7 Version Generic_106542-02

|I have Compaq Presario 5190 system. I invested all my money to purchase
|this system for the use as solaris 7 learning system.

   This was a bad plan.  The Presario is a consumer level system, and Compaq
cut every corner they could.  NT will not even run on these things right...
<Don't go there... I mean right for NT. :-) >  You will have a very hard
time with drivers for any OS other than a Compaq version of Windows 9x.

|It's Configuration is

|AMD K6-2-3D processor

There may be a patch for this now.  Check sunsite.

|128 MB RAM
|12 GB HDD1
|13 GB HDD2
|DVD drive

No support

|56K ITU V.90 Modem

WinModem.  No support.

|When Installing Solaris 7 Intel platform It comes to prompt where it
|asks
|which kind of installation I have to choose,
|After selecting any of kind It comes with below message and reboot
|itself.

|BAD TRAP
|panic:page fault on cpu 0
|drvconfig:page fault
|Bad kernel fault at addr=0x8

   It was looking for a more Intel compatible chip.  It is "possible" that
it is crashing on the Video driver...  In Web Start, does it go into X?

            Lee

--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. * Black

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RedHat 6.0 and Mylex Acceleraid SCSI
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:06:31 GMT

Hi there,
We have just bought a Pentium III Xeon with a Mylex Acceleraid SCSI
RAID controller and intend to use it to run RedHat 6.0 Linux, 2.2.5
kernel. I've been having some problems installing the OS on this box:
at the end of the formatting of the partitions, this message appears:
"mount: device/resource busy"
and the install will go no further (it doesn't matter whether you opt
to format the partitions/check for bad blocks or not)

We have a second box with exactly the same spec which exhibits the same
behaviour equally reliably, so a simple hardware fault seems unlikely.
This other machine has successfully had NT4.0 installed previously (in
as much as such an action can ever be described as successful; don't
blame me, I have to make a living doing this)

Does anyone have any experience of this controller with RH6 ? I read
some info to the effect that you can't have a Linux boot partition on a
RAID device, but I'm thinking that this restriction went away in RH6
with 2.2 kernels, as they have built-in support for RAID (and this
device in particular, I think).

All information gratefully received
Thanks in advance
Andy McKibbin