Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 21:08:36 -0500
From: "Dr Aldo Medina [mx]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Subject: Re: How do I configure $TERM for gnome terminal?

Roger Atkinson wrote:

> "Dr Aldo Medina [mx]" wrote:
> >
> > Since a little ago, I can't properly use vi and ncftp on gnome terminal.
> > I get some error about bad terminal. My $TERM variable is set to dumb.
> > What should I do? I get scrambled text.
>
> If you are using the default gnome term then your $TERM should be set to
> xterm. This will make your editing sessions work as they should.
>
> HTH, Roger Atkinson  Unix Sys Admin

And where should I set $TERM. Thanks.

------------------------------

From: "robert_c" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Why I can't compile my driver to SMP-Ready?
Date: 28 Jul 1999 02:19:42 GMT

Hello:

Could someone tell me why I can't compile my UP-Ready Driver into SMP-Ready
Driver. The following is my operations steps. Could you give me some advice?
Thanks.

1. in the /usr/src/linux
 issue command:  "make config"( just answer "Y" in support "CONFIG_SMP"
option, others keep no change)
2. in the same directory
 issue command:  "make dep"
3. go to my driver directory <-- Question 1: Is it needed to put our driver
code into /usr/src/linux/drivers/misc? I think it is not necessary, isn't
it?
 cd /robert/
4. compile our driver code
 gcc -D__SMP__  -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -O -w -c MyDriver.c
<---- Question 2: Does it need another option? (and in my MyDriver.h, I have
included <linux/modversions.h>)
5. Compile OK!

6. insmod in current directory, not in /lib/modules/2.2.5-15smp/misc <----
Question 3: Does it be necessary to move to the certain directory?
 insmod -f MyDriver.o

7. It told me some error like following:
Warning: kernel-module version mismatch
        MyDriver.o was compiled for kernel version 2.2.5-15<------ The same
error like before
        while this kernel is version 2.2.5-15smp

MyDriver.o: unresolved symbol schedule_timeout_R17d59d01
MyDriver.o: unresolved symbol release_region_R43bde9b1
MyDriver.o: unresolved symbol boot_cpu_data_R660bd466
MyDriver.o: unresolved symbol kmalloc_R93d4cfe6
MyDriver.o: unresolved symbol unregister_chrdev_Rc192d491
MyDriver.o: unresolved symbol __verify_write_R203afbeb
MyDriver.o: unresolved symbol register_chrdev_R0f33bd81
MyDriver.o: unresolved symbol add_timer_Rbea990b2
MyDriver.o: unresolved symbol jiffies_R0da02d67
MyDriver.o: unresolved symbol request_region_R6d32b2d7
MyDriver.o: unresolved symbol check_region_R522f4d72
MyDriver.o: unresolved symbol kfree_R037a0cba
MyDriver.o: unresolved symbol memcpy_fromfs
MyDriver.o: unresolved symbol printk_R1b7d4074

And I check my kernel supported function like schedule_timeout, issue
command like following:

[root@robert MyDriver]# ksyms -a|grep schedule_timeout
c011215c  schedule_timeout_Rsmp_17d59d01
                                                  ^^^
I got the reason why I can't insmod my SMP-driver into SMP-Kernel, because
my driver still is UP-Driver. But how to change it to SMP-Ready Driver?

8. Sorry to bother you again. Could you give me a example driver (just say
"Hello"), and a easy Makefile, and some operation steps. Because I always
get failed for this problem.

Appreciate for any your advices.

Best Regards,

Robert

------------------------------

From: Bryan <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does linux support Tekram U2W scsi
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 01:47:59 GMT

its the symbios (aka ncr) chipset.  yes, it works.

Marcin Romaszewicz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hi all,

: I was wondering how well linux supports the tekram ultra-2 scsi
: controllers, specifically the DC-390U2W, which is a lot cheaper than
: the adaptec version.

: The hardware compatibility howto does not list this as supported or
: unsupported, so I guess it's a little out of date.

: Thanks in advance, and please email reply in addition to posting
: -- Marcin

--
Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

------------------------------

From: Weilong Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: email address of Marc Zyngier
Date: 28 Jul 1999 01:53:29 GMT

 Mr. Zyngier wrote the source code for raid0 and linear mode.I need to
ask him several questions. But his email address provided in
the document is not valid, who knows his email address?
Please tell me, thanks.

--
Weilong

------------------------------

From: "Robert C. Paulsen, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: HP Colorado 5Gb tape backup
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 21:51:59 -0500

Ian Briggs wrote:

> Robert C. Paulsen, Jr. wrote:
> :Richard McClary wrote:
> :>
> :> My boss & I just spent about an hour trying to set up backups on our new
> :> linux box (RH 6).  The tape device is an HP Colorado 5 Gb (Travan?),
> :> internal EIDE.
> :
> :Do not mount the device. Tape drives are accessed directly as
> :devices, not as mounted file systems. I don't know what the EIDE
> :tape devices are called
>
> I've just got my Colorado 8GB IDE to respond to /dev/ht0.
>
> :       tar cvf /dev/rmt0 /etc
>
> Well, it made promising noises (using /dev/ht0).  How do I check to see
> what, if anything, got written to the tape?

Try
        mt -f /dev/ht0 rewind
        tar tvf /dev/ht0

This should list the files that have been written to the tape.

Robert Paulsen                         http://paulsen.home.texas.net
If my return address contains "ZAP." please remove it. Sorry for the
inconvenience but the unsolicited email is getting out of control.

------------------------------

From: "Andrew J. Norman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: scroller for logitech OEM Model M-S48
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 03:15:57 GMT

------------------------------

From: "Andrew J. Norman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 03:13:05 GMT

------------------------------

From: Lindoze 2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: spin down HDD
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:55:20 -0400

do I need syslogd at all?
if I kill it, will I have problems?

Helge Hafting wrote:

> Lindoze 2000 wrote:
> >
> > I use hdparm to spin down my HDD after 1/2 hr or so.
> > the problem is, it spins up again after 1/2 hr. then it spins back down.
> > has anyone had that problem?
> > why wont it stay asleep?
> > the system seems idle. no hdd activity detected.
>
> This could be syslog.  It will write to /ver/log/syslog
> now and then, even if nothing happens.  (So you may know
> the last time the machine was alive - if it ever dies.)
>
> Check if /var/log/syslog contains "-- MARK --" now and then.
> This is configurable, you can turn off the MARKing by
> adding the parameter "-m 0" at the place syslogd starts.
> This is probably in /etc/init.d somewhere.
>
> Helge Hafting

##                                                    ##
## http://www.FusionPlant.com                         ##
##                                                    ##

Subject: Re: X-Terminal ethernet cards
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Jul 1999 11:17:43 -0400

"sagolsem" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I want to run a diskless X-Terminal on redhat 5.2. I saw a ne2000 compatible
> card with bootrom at www.lsl.com which is costing $90.  Can anybody suggest a
> cheaper card ?

Another alternative is to put a floppy drive on your diskless machine, and boot
from that.  At computer shows you can find floppies for something like $10-20.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Petty)
Subject: Re: $299 linux pc hardware questions
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:52:46 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Just out of curiosity, who still makes 3-button mice? I have seen one
>on the market for some time.
>
>Robert

   http://www.allusb.com/Products_Mice.html

This lists USB sources only, but ought to get the message across about how
many vendors are making 3-button mice...

--Richard

--
Spam deterent: Remove the "bogus" part for a correct address.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:37:49 -0500
From: Norman Levin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: S3Trio 3D and Red Hat 5.1

This card is first 'officially' supported at the redhat 6.0 level.  In 5.2 you
can configure it as 'generic' vga.
--
Norman Levin
vm/dynAmIX inc.

------------------------------

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.security.unix
Subject: Re: Qube, NetWinder dead? What equivalent for office short of space?
Date: 28 Jul 1999 02:59:33 GMT

James Knowles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I've  SOHO (small office/home office) packed full of six computers right
>now. It's a space nightmare. One machine is acting as a bastion firewall
>to a dedicated  line. I'd like to set up two more machines, one for an
>outer firewall (to create a DMZ) and one as a private web server inside
>the DMZ. (I'd like to give access to some internal info while at client
>sites -- without opening up the bastion at all.) I'm running Linux on
>all machines save a couple which dual boot to Windows NT/98....

Seems like a lot of computers... do you really need separate machines
for each function?  Maybe you could just run sshd on the current
firewall box?

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

From: Paul Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IDE Tape Problems
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux
Date: 28 Jul 1999 03:36:51 GMT

Has anyone had luck getting a Sony SuperStation 10GB IDE tape drive to
work? This thing is driving me crazy and I would appreciate any help in
the matter. The tape drive is recognized at boot up, here is the message I
get:

Jul 27 19:42:18 bigbertha kernel: hdc: SuperStation-Int, ATAPI TAPE drive

There are two problems. One is when I do a mt -f /dev/ht0 status I get the
following:

[root@bigbertha /root]# mt -f /dev/ht0 status
Unknown tape drive type (type code 0)
File number=0, block number=0.
mt_resid: 0, mt_erreg: 0x0
mt_dsreg: 0x400, mt_gstat: 0x0
General status bits on (0):

Not exactly getting off to a good start :) Just for kicks I tried backing
up some data anyway with tar and it does write out some data but then it
timesout after about a minute or so and I get messages like this:

Jul 25 12:34:56 bigbertha kernel: hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Jul 25 12:34:56 bigbertha kernel: hdc: ATAPI reset complete
Jul 25 12:34:56 bigbertha kernel: ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc =  a, key =
2, asc = 3a, ascq =  0
Jul 25 12:34:56 bigbertha last message repeated 18 times
Jul 25 12:34:56 bigbertha kernel: ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc =  a, key =
2, asc =  4, ascq =  1
Jul 25 12:34:59 bigbertha last message repeated 81 times
Jul 25 12:34:59 bigbertha kernel: ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc =  1, key =
2, asc =  4, ascq =  1

I'm not sure what all this means. Does this mean the tape drive itself is
hosed, that the media is screwed up, the cabling is fubar or what?

Specs:
Abit BP6 + dual celeron 450A, 128MB ram,
RH 6.0 distribution with monolithic kernel 2.2.5-22 SMP build. I also
tried the non-SMP build just for kicks but I had the same problems.

I'm completely lost :( Sorry for the cross-posting but I'm desperate.

Paul Schmidt

From: Lindoze 2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: D-Link 530 TX
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 23:52:56 -0400

has anyone gotten this network problem?

D-Link 530 TX card

Linux tells me:

"something wicked has happened: 1080"
or
"something wicked has happened: 1083"
or
"something wicked has happened: 1081"
what is that?

##                                                    ##
## http://www.FusionPlant.com                         ##
##                                                    ##

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: USB zip plus
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:15:21 GMT

Is there any progress with usb support on zip plus drives??
They are much faster than the parallel port ones and the scsi port
requires a 25 pin connection. According to the iomega manual a gender
changer will not work with the 25 pin Zip plus ( ie. 50 to 25).
Is there a work around this? I currently don't have a scsi card, and
the one I'm thinking of purchacing has a 50pin port.

USB is the prefered choice since it is hot swapable (i think)

lilmoon

comp.os.vms,comp.sys.dec,misc.forsale.computers.monitors,misc.forsale.computers.workstation
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: FS: 5 Digital vrt19-ha 19" Triniton Monitors ; $135 each
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 03:07:27 GMT

In article <Wp_m3.214$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Kent Rankin"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>     The units are located in Pulaski, VA.  They are quite clean, and are in
> fine working order.
>
>     Do send any questions that you might have.

OK. I have two questions.

I bought a VAXstation 3100 from you roughly a month ago, and discovered a
"small" (literally) problem when I opened it up.  You shipped a 52Mb RZ22 disk
instead of the ~500Mb RZ25 I paid for.

52Mb meets most definitions of "small"...

On July 2 I received an e-mail offer from you to correct the problem.  Since
then I have sent *four* e-mail messages to you to follow up on this and have
gotten no (zero, zippo, nada) replies.  (Your proposed solution was a 600Mb
Seagate, model unspecified, and my replies were "OK, but please let me know
the model first so I can verify compatibility.")

I now have a useless machine in the corner of my living room.

Hence my questions:

1. When can I expect satisfaction on this purchase?

2. WHY SHOULD ANYONE TRUST that by buying from you they will get what they
expect to receive?

        -Bill Mayhew
        Past president, DECUS US Chapter, and Business Practices chair

(You know, "business practices"... where you practice doing business until you
get it right?)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Fincher)
Subject: $2000 to spend on computer stuff
Date: 28 Jul 1999 05:02:01 GMT

Ok, here's the deal.  I have $2000 from my mother for graduation, to buy a
laptop.  I need also to buy a printer with this money.  I've pretty much
decided to buy the Lexmark Optra E310, since it's laser and postscript and only
$399 (btw, if anyone knows for sure if it's compatible with linux, that would
be helpful).

So that leaves me $1600 for the remainder of my little shopping spree.  I have
two options: I can buy a decent, alright laptop, something like the winbook XL
(amd k6-2 400, 128mb ram, 12.1 TFT, $1599) and still use my current computer
(amd k6 300, 64mb ram, 3.2 gig hd, dual boot linux/98).  *OR* I can do this.
Since I intend on running only linux on the laptop, and since it's only real
purpose is for taking notes and typing code and such, I've been thinking
perhaps I can buy an older laptop (486s aren't even out of the question) for
something like $500 and have around $1000 to upgrade/build new my desktop.
This is an idea I like...I've wanted to build a new computer for awhile, and i
can't see the point in having such a powerful laptop solely to take notes on.

So, you people being more experienced and more knowledgable than me, your
advice would be GREATLY appreciated.  Tell me which plan you think is better,
what I should do with whatever plan you think I should implement, just anything
you think could help me.

I'll look forward to reading the responses to this!

Jeremy Fincher

==================================
If i ever forget to capitalize a proper noun, forgive me.  i'm a big fan of ee
cummings

My ICQ # is 28153190. My AIM/AOL name is either jemfinch02 or Cassius80.
Have a good day, and good luck in your endeavors!

------------------------------

From: chunfuyu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: one pc card outlet problem..........help!!!!
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:08:37 -0700

Hi:

  I bought a SONY PCG505TR recently!
There is only one PC slot but I have one cdrom and one zip drive...
when I boot the system up with the cdrom connected with my notebook
it works fine.....howcome I can't change the cdrom drive to zip drive...
I don't know how to mount the zip.  The cdrom is "hdc"
I just mount the cdrom as: mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
Why I can't use the same way to mount the zip drive after I change the pc
I type mount -t vfat /dev/hdc /mnt/zip and I just can't make it work....
Please help me!!!!!!!!

By the way.....Thanks U guys......From Ur information I got the best
one notebook...
The sound works and the modem works and display fine.... except the zip
drive!

Cheers!  Every one!