Linux-Hardware Digest #871, Volume #10           Wed, 28 Jul 99 16:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  Re: LS-120? (Csaba Raduly)
  Joystick and SBLive - has anybody got it working? ("dkmallick")
  Video Capture Card:  (J'mes Pallack)
  modem programming (Dean Parsons)
  Re: WHAT KIND OF LANGUAGE IS THAT ? (Csaba Raduly)
  Linksys 10/100 EtherFast PCMCIA card config? (bono)
  Any secrets to eliminate duplicate X desktops ("preed")
  Re: New MB won't boot! (FirstName LastName)
  Re: CD player ? (Valentin Guillen)
  Re: Available space on partitions? (Jerome Warnier)
  Re: building efficient fileserver on Linux - hardware questions (Joe Matuscak)
  Modem Probelm ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Bogus hard disk sizes from manufacturers ("Ron Reaugh")
  [Q] OnStream ATAPI tape drive? (Dan Delaney)
  Repost:Anyone using Terratec Base-1 sound card? (Richard C. Ferryman)
  Re: $299 linux pc hardware questions (Beat Rupp)
  Re: Scsi Tape: Input/Output Error (Eric Groth)
  VMELinux memory mapping (Thomas Hutchins)
  Re: Can´t understand kernel log (Stuart R. Fuller)
  Re: Epson Stylus Color 600 (George Timmons)
  Re: IDE Tape Problems (Leonard Evens)
  Re: one pc card outlet problem..........help!!!! ("Youngert")

From: Csaba Raduly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LS-120?
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 18:31:01 +0100

Phillip McGregor wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry if this is an inappropriate newsgroup for this query ...
>
> I've just installed the latest Mandrake Linux distribution, based on
> Redhat 6.0,

<AOL>
Me too !
</AOL>

> and most things are working OK ... however, the system
> will not mount the LS-120 (MATSHITA LS-120 VER 4 06 according to
> Windows) as a floppy drive using the floppy icon on the KDE desktop.
> This is rather a problem as I have the LS-120 *instead* of a floppy
> drive (taking up an IDE port) ... and I would like to be able to read
> (at least) 3.5" disks (if not the 120 MB ones <sigh>)
>
> Anyone out there managed to install an LS-120 so it will mount under
> Linux? Any pointers (simple ones, please, I'm a Linux newbie :-) would
> be greatly appreciated!

If memory serves me right (Linux is at home), you can right-click
on the floppy icon and select properties. In one of the pages
you would see a text field with /dev/fd0 (or similar).
Change it to /dev/hdc (if it's master on secondary controller)
or whatever the LS120 is. I did this and it worked.

HTH
Csaba
--
Csaba Raduly,    Software Developer (OS/2),    Sophos Anti-Virus
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]            http://www.sophos.com/

From: "dkmallick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Joystick and SBLive - has anybody got it working?
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 11:03:31 -0500

Has anybody got their joystick wiorking with their Sound Blaster Live card?

I am running kernel 2.2.10 and I have installed the beta 3 version of the
sound card driver provided by Creative for their SBLive sound card.  Sound
works just fine.

This new driver is supposed to have joystick support  but my joystick
doesn't seem to work. I have a MS Sidewinder Precision Pro. I compiled the
kernel myself with joystick support and support for MS Sidewinder. The
kernel doesnot load the joystick module and the sidewinder.pro module upon
startup. I can 'insmod' the joystick module, but when I try to 'insmod' the
sidewinder.pro module, it gives me the error message that the resource is
busy. I don't see any /dev/js device either. Does that have got anything to
do with IRQs? How do I get around that?

Any help will be graetly appreciated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J'mes Pallack)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Video Capture Card:
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:26:08 GMT

I got a old Creative Labs, Inc. "Video Blaster" 3 composit camera
capture card.  It's WIn 3.1 compatable w/that software they include,
also specs 15meg RAM limit.

Model # CT 6000

A friend pointed me to a web site (
http://atlantek.com.au/USERS/wes/linux/frame.html) but didn't find it
listed there usefull for this card :-(

The other idea is to use a camera switcher with ALARM inputs and use a
PC card, or lpt port to controll which camera is activated at any one
time (e.g. www.jameco.com part #K8000 Inteface kit, has like 16 inputs
and 16 outputs and is feed though via  Printer port)  Then the single
capture card can capture each image, post the image (where ever,
website, local network, etc) and then move to the next camera.  The
input of the controller if available to alos act as an alarm input.

I'd like to set this up on a single LINUX machine, that also acts as a
File Server, perhaps handle the I-net connection (1 or 2 lines (Mpp))
depending apon demand, fax receive, printer server, etc. (all in one)
This machine would be just for one person perhaps two so not really
concerned about delay that much. Camera would be low priority setting
anyway.

any ideas
THx

  O /
---X----------------------------------------
  O \
Do NOT send junk email to me - consider this an official notice: "By US
Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets the
definition of a telephone fax machine.  By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is
unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment.  By
Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is punishable
by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is greater,
for each violation."

------------------------------

From: Dean Parsons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modem programming
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:21:21 -0230

Hello.
    I am running linux ( redhat 6.0 ).

I am going to attempt to try a termial program.
I want to be able to
dial out from this program using
my modem and login in to a dial up connection.

I realize that programming for something like a
modem is very Operating
System
dependent. I am running linux, and i know that
every thing is treated
like
a file under this platform.

I am writting this program in C.

So far i open my modem  device ( /dev/ttyS0 )
but "fopen()" returns
NULL.

I am not sure if using fopen() is the right way
to go first.. is there
anything that
i should know, set, open first before the
fopen() attempt??

Can you give me some source code of how to
access my modem? or just some

of the commands
i need to use the modem?
I know that i need to use ATZ for
initialization of the modem and ATDT
for dialing...

Any ideas?

Dean

------------------------------

From: Csaba Raduly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WHAT KIND OF LANGUAGE IS THAT ?
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 18:51:57 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <7l817n$ne5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] did eloquently scribble:
> > = I feel offended...Red Hat instalation offers an option to install in
> > = BRAZILIAN...this language doesn't exist. It's like calling AMERICAN
> > = ENGLISH.
>
> Why do you fell offended???  You're neither Brazilian nor Portuguese!
[snip]

Also, RH 5.2 (?) had a "Redneck" installation language option.
And rightly so, 'cos it sure ain't English. :-)

Csaba

From: bono <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Linksys 10/100 EtherFast PCMCIA card config?
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:22:12 -0700

hi all:

I cannot get the Linksys 10/100 EtherFast PCMCIA config during Redhat6
installation...
I tried the (Tulip)  but of course autoprobe says error... then I try to
use the manual probe.. just that I have
no idea what to enter in there.  I tried something for a test it will
then freeze and as I check the different screens
using alt1, alt2.. etc in one of them it is trying to run the tulip.o
<things I entered>.
What do I need to enter in the manual probe?
I also understand that there are 2 kind of chipset used.  how do I find
out which one it is.  Will the earlier chip set works in
linux?  I just bought it so I assume it is the newer one...

Please help

Bono

------------------------------

From: "preed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.development,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Any secrets to eliminate duplicate X desktops
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:27:51 -0400

After trying anything and everything that could be found about configuring
Xwindows on RH6, the Xserver always displays two desktops. They are one
above the other.

Even XF86Setup displays two.

I'm trying to use a S3-based (86C928) PCI card (Miro32S) and a NEC MultiSync
5FG that works fine on Win98 and NT. Xconfigurator, XF86Setup, SuperProbe
seems to easily detect the card.

There must be some secret about this, as I've tried everything that seems to
be published:

- different monitors
- non -vs- interlaced modes
- SVGA server
- custom or Generic MultiSync monitor setting
- xvidtune

Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

------------------------------

From: FirstName LastName <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New MB won't boot!
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 18:59:10 +0100

Gary R. Skuse, Ph.D. wrote:

> This afternoon I replaced the MB in my Linux box with an FIC 503+ (K6-II
> 400) and now it won't boot.  I get partly through the boot process and
> am stopped by a message saying:
>
> "Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
> 00000004" followed by a screen full of additional messages and hex
> numbers.
>
> Of course everything worked ok until I replaced the MB and I didn't do
> anything to change the HDD configuration (that I know of).
>
> Any suggestions?  I like my Linux box and want it back.
>
> -Gary
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 For what its worth, I use a FIC VA-503+ with a K6-II 300, and that works
fine,
so there isn't a fundamental incompatibility between the board/a K6/Linux.

My guesses as the first things to check would be:

i) are you still using the same disk addressing mode as was used when the
partition
table was written? If you are now using LBA and your previous BIOS used
Large,
don't expect it to get very far.

ii) Is the RAM timing compatible with the BIOS settings? Are you using
SDRAM, or
have you carried over EDO from the old machine? While most BIOSs default to
fairly conservative settings, not sure what happens with EDO and a processor
capable
of 100MHz (same applies to PC 66 SDRAM, I would guess). I think you would be
able
to make pretty much any combination work, but you might have to spend a fair
bit of time
on 'trial ands error' with some combinations, depending on your level of
expertise.

Hope that helps!

          Mark Wyatt

------------------------------

From: Valentin Guillen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: CD player ?
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 18:13:03 +0000

When shopping around for a cd player, or indeed, other software for your
box, keep in mind the requirements for which library it needs.  You
could obtain the actual program, and later discover that you also need
another library to go along with it.

Best Regards,
--
Valentin Guillen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jerome Warnier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Available space on partitions?
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 02:49:13 +0200

==============3D32C52526E92D0D14FEC17D

John Patrick Krut wrote:

>  Thanks for the help - jpk
>
> John Patrick Krut wrote:
>
>>  .        Hello - the subject line about says it all -
>>
>>         I am trying to install wordperfect and was told I
>> had no more room - I remember putting Linux on 4
>> or 5 partitions - anyone know an easy way to find
>> out which partition has available space?
>>
>> --
>> HaveAGoodLife   *****   ResistanceIsFutile
>>
>>       ************ jpk ************
>>

> --
>
>       HaveAGoodLife * * * * * * * ResistanceIsFutile
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * -jpk- * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Use "df ", that's exactly what it does (but it lists only mounted
partitions).

Jérôme Warnier

John Patrick Krut wrote:
Hello - the subject line about says it all -
and was told I
<pre>--&nbsp;
HaveAGoodLife&nbsp;&nbsp; *****&nbsp;&nbsp; ResistanceIsFutile

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ************ jpk ************</pre>
&nbsp;</blockquote>

Use "df ", that's exactly what it does&nbsp;(but it lists only mounted
partitions).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joe Matuscak)
Subject: Re: building efficient fileserver on Linux - hardware questions
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:26:27 -0400

In article <fhDn3.15017$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Nope, I am booting of a raid 5 array with compaq raid controllers

Neat. Are there any particular tricks to setting it up? Is it as simple
as using the RAID setup software to create a "drive" and then boot of the
Red Hat CD?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Modem Probelm
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 18:51:46 GMT

I am having a problem with my modem.  I am trying to get access to my
ISP but the modem is not responding properly.  I can get setserial to
tell me about the modem, but minicom doesn't seem to see the modem or
something.  Minicom comes up and says that it is initializing the modem,
but there is no display of the results of the initialization; no display
of the init string. When I try to type in I think that the modem should
respond but I get nothing on the screen.  I have been trying for several
days to find the problem but to no avail.  Can anyone give me a hint of
what to do to determine what the problem is?

Marvin R

From: "Ron Reaugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: Bogus hard disk sizes from manufacturers
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 11:42:58 -0700

wrote:
>> :: What strange metric is IBM now using to compute hard disk sizes that
they
>> :: come up with "16.8 GB" ?
>>
>> : It is called "The Marketing Unit of Disk Capacity", aka Marketing
>> : {Mega,Giga}bytes.  This unit of measurement is actually very useful,
>> : as it can mean whatever the manufacturer means.
>>
>> So funny all of these people reacting to the original post without
>> reading what he says. The original poster wondered why IBM called his
>> 16907304960 byte drive a 16.8 MB drive. Good question.
>> Looks like they want to be on the safe side.
>
>They sure are. 16.8 MB is a pretty small harddisk nowadays.
>>
>> Everybody reacting, like the above poster, is mistaken.
>> M=1000000 is the law, is the SI standard, is the IEEE standard,
>> is the ATA standard, is the SCSI standard, is used everywhere in real
life.

>We are talking computers here, remember !

In  COMPUTERS  M=1000000 is the law, is the SI standard, is the IEEE
standard, is the ATA standard, is the SCSI standard, is used everywhere in
real life.

>> And similarly k=1000 is the law, the standard etc.
>> A km is 1000 m, a kg is 1000 g, a megawatt is 1000000 watt.
>>
>> Now people bought memory modules consisting of 1024 words
>> and called them "1 kiloword of memory". Not because they thought
>> kilo meant 1024, but just because it sounds better than "1.024 kiloword".
>
>I'd gladly trade 1024 words of memory for 1024 kilowords.
>
>> Memory has become larger but still the units in which it is sold are
>> almost always powers of two, and since the SI standard does not
>> have any binary units we use in sloppy speech 1 MB where in reality
>> we don't mean 1000000 bytes but 1048576 bytes.
>>
>> Uninformed people now start to think M means 1048576.
>
>Put me down with other uninformed people like Eric S. Raymond
>See below.
>
>[snipped]
>To quote from the Jargon Lexicon:
>
>"With units of time or things that come in powers of 10, such as money,
>they retain their usual meanings of multiplication by powers of
>1000 = 10^3. But when used with bytes or other things that naturally
>come
>in powers of 2, they usually denote multiplication by powers of
>1024 = 2^(10). "

NO!

Numeric units and long time dictionary definitions do NOT suddenly change
for the parochial use in some particular situation.  One million is
1,000,000.  One million bytes is 1,000,000 bytes.  A mega is a million.  A
megabyte is properly 1,000,000 bytes.  A megabyte per second in the
communciations industry is always taken to mean 1,000,000 bytes per second.
For those involved in binary computer programming or the sale on RAM modules
to describe 16MB module with the binary meaning is fine with me.  BUT for
them to suddenly come back and say that "mega is 1,000,000" was wrong all
along is pure BULL!  Standards ARE standards; end of story!

------------------------------

From: Dan Delaney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Q] OnStream ATAPI tape drive?
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:39:56 -0400

Is anyone successfully using one of the new OnStream ATAPI 15/30 gig
tape drives that use their new "ADR" technology? Are there even any
Linux drivers for this drive?
Thanks.
--Dan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard C. Ferryman)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Repost:Anyone using Terratec Base-1 sound card?
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 19:20:27 GMT

I tried to get my Base 1 set up using the IRQ, DMA and i/o settings
that windows uses but to no avail.  I read the AD1816 docs and  see
that I should run isapnp.  Whatever I do isapnp fails.  Does anyone
have a working isapnp.conf that works with a Base 1?
Thanks
Richard

------------------------------

From: Beat Rupp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: $299 linux pc hardware questions
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 20:22:36 GMT

Am 27.07.99, 06:54:37, schrieb [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert J.=20
Sprawls) zum Thema Re: $299 linux pc hardware questions:

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan) writes:

> >> And err.. what wrong with 2 button mouse?
> >Don't use X windows eh?  X uses 3 buttons, yes you can do emulation,
> >but thats a hack and if you are selling systems to be linux only,
> >it shouldn't have 2 button mice.

> Just out of curiosity, who still makes 3-button mice? I have seen one

=BBstill=AB?? The question is: who still makes 2-button (or even iMac=20
one-button) mice? I think everyone wants a mouse with more than 2=20
buttons and the manufacturers like it!

beat

------------------------------

From: Eric Groth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scsi Tape: Input/Output Error
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:32:44 -0500

I did a tail -f on /var/log/messages while executing several commands with
mt and a few tries with tar and nothing appeared.

For what its worth 'mt -f /dev/st0 status' returns:

SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (10000):
 IM_REP_EN

-Eric

------------------------------

From: Thomas Hutchins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,redhat.kernel.general
Subject: VMELinux memory mapping
Date: 28 Jul 1999 19:31:23 GMT

I am realtively new to Linux and I need to memory map a device in Linux for
a VME bus system.  I have the driver loaded for VMELinux. I was wondering
if anyone can help me?

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: Can´t understand kernel log
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 18:10:02 GMT

Oliver D. Bedford ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller) writes:
:
: > Oliver D. Bedford ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: > :   This morning I had the following message printed to xconsole:
: > :
: > : Jul 28 04:03:52 triton kernel: sread (sector 0x1c) failed
: > : Jul 28 04:03:52 triton kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
: > : Jul 28 04:03:52 triton kernel: 02:00: rw=0, want=14, limit=4
: >
: > The device on 02:00 (typically, /dev/fd0) has a file system problem.  If it's
:                                   ^^^^^^^^^
:
: > an ext2 file system, use fsck to check it.
:
:   Thanks. That explains everything. A floppy was mounted, but none was
: in the drive, so linux had some problems reading it.
:
:   BTW: What's the meaning of the device-number (2:00 above)? I assume
: the first number corresponds to the number listed in /proc/devices?

        # ls -l /dev/fd0
        brw-rw-r--   1 root     floppy     2,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/fd0
                                           ^^^^^^

Basically, I took your "02:00", did

        # ls -l /dev |grep '^b'| grep "2," | grep 0

and looked for something interesting.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: George Timmons <"GW<gwtim"@2xtreme.net>
Subject: Re: Epson Stylus Color 600
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 19:39:35 GMT

Chris Dalby wrote:

> I'm desperate. I've been trying to get this thing working for months
> without success. I've installed Ghostscript 5.* and followed the
> uniprint instructions exactly. I can print using the "gs @stc600pl.upp
> -sOutputFile=/dev/lp1 filename -c quit &" command and it prints
> perfectly but I cannot use the lp command through Netscape or Corel WP.
> All I get is endless pages of trash. I would really appreciate someone
> sending me their config files or some other foolproof way of getting
> this problem solved. Its obvious the printer works and has a driver
> available under ghostscript but the execution from lp is still not
> working.
>
> Please help!

You need to use a printer filter like apsfilter or magicfilter. These
are
programs that send the file through the right filter to get it to print.
It's
a little bit complicated to explain in a post like this so check out the
above programs and the Printing Howto probably has info on these as
well.
Good  luck
George

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: IDE Tape Problems
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 13:34:17 -0500

Paul Schmidt wrote:

> Has anyone had luck getting a Sony SuperStation 10GB IDE tape drive to
> work? This thing is driving me crazy and I would appreciate any help in
> the matter. The tape drive is recognized at boot up, here is the message I
> get:
>
> Jul 27 19:42:18 bigbertha kernel: hdc: SuperStation-Int, ATAPI TAPE drive
>
> There are two problems. One is when I do a mt -f /dev/ht0 status I get the
> following:
>
> [root@bigbertha /root]# mt -f /dev/ht0 status
> Unknown tape drive type (type code 0)
> File number=0, block number=0.
> mt_resid: 0, mt_erreg: 0x0
> mt_dsreg: 0x400, mt_gstat: 0x0
> General status bits on (0):

I have an HP 2.5/5.0 GB IDE tape drive.  The same command
gives me
Unknown tape drive type (type code 0)
File number=0, block number=0.
mt_resid: 0, mt_erreg: 0x0
mt_dsreg: 0x200, mt_gstat: 0x0
General status bits on (0):

which is what you got.  But it works fine with tar to do
backups.

> Not exactly getting off to a good start :) Just for kicks I tried backing
> up some data anyway with tar and it does write out some data but then it
> timesout after about a minute or so and I get messages like this:
>
> Jul 25 12:34:56 bigbertha kernel: hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> Jul 25 12:34:56 bigbertha kernel: hdc: ATAPI reset complete
> Jul 25 12:34:56 bigbertha kernel: ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc =  a, key =
> 2, asc = 3a, ascq =  0
> Jul 25 12:34:56 bigbertha last message repeated 18 times
> Jul 25 12:34:56 bigbertha kernel: ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc =  a, key =
> 2, asc =  4, ascq =  1
> Jul 25 12:34:59 bigbertha last message repeated 81 times
> Jul 25 12:34:59 bigbertha kernel: ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc =  1, key =
> 2, asc =  4, ascq =  1
>
> I'm not sure what all this means. Does this mean the tape drive itself is
> hosed, that the media is screwed up, the cabling is fubar or what?
>
> Specs:
> Abit BP6 + dual celeron 450A, 128MB ram,
> RH 6.0 distribution with monolithic kernel 2.2.5-22 SMP build. I also
> tried the non-SMP build just for kicks but I had the same problems.
>
> I'm completely lost :( Sorry for the cross-posting but I'm desperate.
>
> Thanks,

Your drive may not yet be supported by the driver.

If you look at the kernel source tree (/usr/src/linux/...)
you should be able to find the source code in a .c or .h file
for the driver for IDE tape drives.  This might tell you if
your tape drive is supported.  But maybe someone else will
come up with this information.

> --
> Paul Schmidt

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: "Youngert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: one pc card outlet problem..........help!!!!
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 19:47:41 -0400

Whenever a ZIP drive is used, it will be referenced as a hard drive in
Linux.  Having said that, whn you need to mount your ZIP drive, all you have
to do is to think of your ZIP drive as a hard drive with a partition.
AFAIK, the ZIP disk shipped from the manufacturer has a partition 4.  Thus,
if your ZIP drive is detected as a /dev/hdc, then all you need to do to
mount the ZIP disk is do the following:

    mount -t vfat /dev/hdc4 /mnt/zip

If you are unsure what partition you have on the ZIP disk, just use fdisk or
cfdisk to check the /dev/hdc to see what partition you have.  Good luck.

PS. Please remove 4 from the reply address should you decide to reply.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...