Linux-Hardware Digest #933, Volume #10            Thu, 5 Aug 99 01:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Daylight Savings Time ("Charles Sullivan")
  no-lilo problem ("J. Escalante")
  I/O problem ("J. Escalante")
  Re: mounting floppy drive? (Gerald Willmann)
  Re: LILO and a 10GB disk??? ("Charles Sullivan")
  Modems and video (jamessim)
  3 D  B L A S T E R  B A N S H E E ("psyfybre")
  Re: Yamaha XG 64V sound card ("Gene Heskett")
  Module loading problem ("Brian Donovan")
  Re: APS-UPS for Linux? ("Tom")
  Re: Install hard drive (John McKown)
  8 windows & virtual desktop... (John Patrick Krut)
  Re: clock skew compilation problems (B'ichela)
  Re: Linux driver for 3Com NIC: (Vidar Andresen)
  Re: #@$%&%( WINMODEMS are a pain in the A#$^& (John Hasler)
  Re: Using IDE controller card (Tim Moore)
  Re: no-lilo problem (Robert V. Grizzard)
  Re: Ultra ATA 66 support ? (Tim Moore)
  Video Card for new Internet PC ("Ryan T. Hidden")
  Re: LS-120? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Daylight Savings Time
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 22:05:50 -0400

Run /usr/sbin/timeconfig, setting your hardware clock to UTC and
timezone to US/Pacific.

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 22:07:23 -0400
From: "J. Escalante" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: no-lilo problem

Since I don't have any other OS than Linux Slackware running in my
computer, what I want is not to
have lilo at boot up time.
The small partition where DOS resided, I made it the swap partition and
the rest is all Linux.
Using fdisk, I toggled the boot switch in the big partition, now that I
rebooted my machine, I got a
message saying that there was not operating system.
I really don't know what the problem could be, but I want to get rid of
LILO and any other OS, but
LINUX.

Hey!! if you know what I can do to solve this problem, I would
appreciate an email at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks in advance

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 22:31:31 -0400
From: "J. Escalante" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I/O problem

I am running LINUX slackware 4 at home, my problem is that I don't get
any output on the screen, cout << "Name" << endl; does not output
anything and neither does prontf("Name");
If you know what the problem could be I would appreciate an email at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Thanks in advance

------------------------------

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mounting floppy drive?
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 18:46:11 -0700

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> What is the command to mount my floppy drive from the console prompt?
> Thank you much,

put a line like this in your /etc/fstab

/dev/fd0      /mnt/floppy        auto         defaults,noauto,user 0 0

and then the command is simply mount /mnt/floppy
don't forget to umount after use :)
                                         Gerald

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: LILO and a 10GB disk???
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 22:25:16 -0400

Since your Linux root partition (/dev/hda4) extends beyond
the 1024 cylinder boundary, you can't be sure whether the
boot files will be above or below this boundary.  If below,
LILO ought to work; if partly or totally above, it won't.

------------------------------

From: jamessim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modems and video
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 21:52:10 -0400

I am getting ready to install Linux and need 2 things.  Where shal I
find the required drivers for an ATI Rage 3 video card?  And...where is
there info on compatibility with new modems.  I have to upgrade my
current modem, but most of the new ones look like they are designed for
Windows 9x.  Will these operate under Linux?  Which should I avoid?

From: "psyfybre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3 D  B L A S T E R  B A N S H E E
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 03:35:48 +0100

hello... im extemely new to linux, and newsgroups, which is why I am asking
this question. As a master of DOS and Windows (so I would like to think), I
am anoyed, at how my nice 17" monitor which I got for xmas last year fails
it's purpose under X. I have the drivers for my banshee card from creative,
however, the installation fails, for erorrs which I cannot control, however,
SuSE comes with its own drivers for this...

I set the monitor for VESA 1280x1024. and set the resolution of the card to
this also (as it works under windows) and i get nothing... So i reffered to
my monitor manual, plucked the frequences (hor+vert) and tried again... all
i got was the same problem...

can someone please help me out here???

If anyone has had similar problems, please email me back, I do not often get
a chance to get into newsgroups, and it is nearly impossible for me to pick
news up... please reply via: [EMAIL PROTECTED], many, many thanks in
advance...

ladyahs

psyfybre

------------------------------

Date: 04 Aug 99 22:26:22 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Yamaha XG 64V sound card
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Ryan PC;

>> I have just purchased a new DELL Dimension XPS T450 home computer.
>> It has a Yamaha XG 64V PCI sound card apparently built on something
>> called the "724 DS-1" chip set.  Other info of questionable value:

 RPG>   I am in the same situation, and it seems that there is no support for
 RPG> PCI Yamaha cards in Linux.  Sorry.

Ah, but if you don't mind paying for it just to see if it works, Open
Sound System has an extra cost driver for it.  By the time I would have
gotten all the goodies together to make it work, I could see that I was
gonna be within a 20 dollar bill of a soundblaster live value kit.

I'll leave the deduction of what I did to the reader, based on 2 months
worth of diddling with the DigitalResearch version card carrying that
same chip and never getting a single peep out of it.

>> Installing RedHat 6.0 has already been my worst nightmare.

 RPG>   Just think how much richer you life is now, though :o)

 RPG>   -- ryan

 RPG> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
 RPG> Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III
                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

From: "Brian Donovan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Module loading problem
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 21:55:53 -0400

Hi all, on i've been trying to get my parallel port to load on my redhat 6
system. When I try to load the lp or ppa drivers via insmod i've been
getting unresolved symbol errors:

parport_unregister_device_R3618c96f
parport_register_device_R064ebecf
parport_enumerate_R648d1e26
parport_release_R4430d136
parport_claim_or_block Rf3d047bc

these errors are located in both lp.o as well as ppa.0

I know that the hardware works, this system previously had redhat 5.2
running on it with a parallel zip drive (the end goal). The kernel is the
default redhat workstation kernal 2.2.5

any Ideas?

From: "Tom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: APS-UPS for Linux?
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 23:22:11 -0400

Dennis Burke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> APC promises to have some Linux software for shutoff.  Have you check
their
> site?  They advertise this in the bulletins they send out.  I checked a
> couple of months ago and it was not ready yet.  Maybe soon?
> Dennis

Here is what APC has to say about PowerChute Plus for Linux on this page:
http://www.apcc.com/products/management/pcp_linux.cfm

"PowerChute plus for Linux is currently under development, but is scheduled
to be available at the end of Q3 1999."

Tom

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John McKown)
Subject: Re: Install hard drive
Date: 5 Aug 1999 02:56:53 GMT

On Wed, 04 Aug 1999 11:42:44 +0200, gub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I installed a hard drive (1.2 Gb Conner IDE, fat32 formated). When I
>first started linux, I had a PANIC! message and the computer hanged
>during the random generator init. After that, I got a crc error during
>the kernel uncompacting. When I remove the HD, everything seems to work
>fine. And the same problem appears when I put it back (crc error).
>
>Please help me
>thanks

I hope you don't mind what may be a silly question. Is this a SECOND
hd? Your message implies that, but doesn't say it. Also, did you put
it on the same IDE connector as your current HD? If so, did you remember
to set the jumper on the this HD (the new one) as SLAVE? I'm not sure
what would happen if you have two masters on one IDE connector. But I
would guess that it would be BAD! Also, if this is your setup, double
check the documentation on your first HD. Some HDs have three settings:

1) Single or Master with no Slave - this means that this is the only
drive on the IDE connector

2) Master or Master with Slave - this means that this HD is the master
drive (/dev/hda). Master with slave means the same but tells the HD
that there is a slave drive. Not all HDs have this. The more recent
ones that I've looked at only say Master.

3) Slave - This means that the HD is the slave (/dev/hdb).

Perhaps this is your problem. If not, I wish you luck and hope somebody
else comes up with a better suggestion.

John

------------------------------

From: John Patrick Krut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 8 windows & virtual desktop...
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 23:50:03 -0400

.        Hello All:

        As I understand it, a virtual desktop is larger than
the screen size - I think so anyway...

        My question(s):

        1.    On the bottom, right-hand corner of the screen
is a box divided into 8 squares...   what do you refer to it as?

        2.    Is there any way to get rid of it?

--

      HaveAGoodLife * * * * * * * ResistanceIsFutile
* * * * * * * * * * * * * -jpk- * * * * * * * * * * * * *

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Subject: Re: clock skew compilation problems
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 14:20:31 -0400

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999 15:52:44 +0200, Sascha Bohnenkamp
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Does anyone know what clock skew is? I have been having problems when
>>trying to compile my kernel (2.2.1 or 2.0.36). The 'make' program reports
>>that clock skew is present and the compilation may be incomplete.
>smp system?

Clock skew is an ugly result of the /etc/adjtime file comparing time
with the hardware clock and software clock. I had that problem on
slackware 3.9. How did I fix it? EASY I ripped out hwclock and
replaced it with the older clock program. Never had a problem again.
        What adjtime is supposed to do is find out how much time
veries between software and hardware clock. you are supposed to run
hwclock -update to update the clock or something like that ever 10
days. My expirence with clock skew first happened when I forgot my
bios is set to UtC and my hwclock driver was expecting my bios to be
set to EASTERN Standard. Yep, 5 (or was it 4?) hours difference. when
I realized the wrong clock time... I already  did make dep on the
kernel. tried to use Hwclock to set everything to the right time for
the  software clock. got so ^#^@#^@#^@# frustrated that I ripped
hwclock out. as it looked to be a real PITA! of running -adjust every
10 days!
        BTW. hwclock was not the true culprit. although being my
system originally used /bin/clock and hwclock was not ALIASED to clock
my rc.S file (one from Slacware 3.9 fired up hwclock without setting
the -utc flag (GRRRRRRR) Had to scrap my kernel source and reinstall
from linux2.0.7pre10.tgz! GRRRRRR! (danger! red head starting to
simmer *( )
        Speaking of hwclock vs Clock. what is the REAL benifit of this
program? I always felt the older one was more maintence free in the
first place (hint keep /sbin/clock around it does not need the
adjustime file)

--
                A pearl of wisdom from the y2K newsgroups:
Y2K appears to be the Baby Boomers mid-life crisis, and it has the

                        B'ichela
                        N O T E
                ---------------------
If [EMAIL PROTECTED] don't work try [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vidar Andresen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux driver for 3Com NIC:
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:35 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonathan Wilson) wrote:
>Are you sure these files work... As I have installed both on my Linux
>server and it has problems.  It keeps getting an IRQ 0 for my NIC???

Any help in http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/irq-conflict.html ?

[...]
           The solutions

           If the card is reporting IRQ0 or IRQ255, that indicates the
           card has not been assigned an interrupt.  There are two
           likely fixes:  either the BIOS does not have enough IRQ
           lines available for PCI devices (e.g. all are assigned to
           "legacy" ISA devices instead of "PnP"), or the BIOS has a
           "PnP OS" setting that must be disabled.  Yes, this is
           confusing:  the "PnP OS" setting is bad (it really means
           "Windows OS?"), but the PnP IRQ assignment is good.

           If the card is reporting a valid IRQ, but that IRQ is being
           used by another device you have an interrupt conflict.  The
           easiest and generally best solution is to put the
           conflicting device on another IRQ line.  This can only be
           done through the PCI BIOS setup.  Unlike ISA cards, PCI
           cards have no way of setting their own IRQ.  That is done
           at boot time by the PCI BIOS, and the BIOS reports its
           selection

[...]

And moore. Look for machine/motherboard trouble there and in
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html

>It's really odd.  As I've compile the module a couple of times in
>different as described in the file and always get the same result.
>
>Has anyone got it to work... and if so could you please tell me how,
>or send me the *.c program you compiled.

Look into the 3c59x.c for your nic. Something like

          static char *version =
          "3c59x.c:v0.99Kb 5/7/99 Donald Becker
          http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html\n";

and down ....

       {"3cSOHO100-TX Hurricane",      0x10B7, 0x7646, 0xffff,
        PCI_USES_IO|PCI_USES_MASTER, IS_CYCLONE, 128, vortex_probe1},

(It would not help you if i compiled the driver.  I guess that part is
done well if no errormessage. So i guess it is a pci-irq-matter.)

>>>Does anyone know where I can get the Linux driver for 3Com's
>>>OfficeConnet 3CSOHO100-TX Fast Ethernet NIC ?

Do 3com have several '3CSOHO100-TX'?

Mvh Vidar Andresen

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,at.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.announce
Subject: Re: #@$%&%( WINMODEMS are a pain in the A#$^&
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 00:13:57 GMT

> have there been 56k modems made for ISA in the past? Could you buy one of
> the old modems, or the ISA that are on sale now?

As far as I know, all sorts of ISA modems are still readily available.  It
is the motherboard manufacturers who intend to drop ISA.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 21:12:34 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Using IDE controller card

Performance is generally not good when both drives share the same
controller channel.  Change the current slave to be master on the other
controller (hdf -> hdg).

     chan0 (ide2)         chan1 (ide3)
|   ______________      _______________
|--|______________|----|_______________|-----      top view

       hde/hdf              hdg/hdh
    master/slave         master/slave
     1st drive            2nd drive
     3rd drive            4th drive

For RAID0 stripe sets, hde+hdf or hdg+hdh = 1/2 single drive
performance; hde+hdg or hdf+hdh = 2x single drive performance.  Onboard
PIIX4 has same behavior.

Variation for RAID on 2 Ultra's:

|   ______________      _______________
|--|______________|----|_______________|-----

       1 drive             3 drive
       5 drive             7 drive
|   ______________      _______________
|--|______________|----|_______________|-----

       2 drive             4 drive
       6 drive             8 drive

--
timothymoore    "Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
bigfoot                                            WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert V. Grizzard)
Subject: Re: no-lilo problem
Date: 5 Aug 1999 03:32:23 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>Since I don't have any other OS than Linux Slackware running in my
>computer, what I want is not to
>have lilo at boot up time.
>The small partition where DOS resided, I made it the swap partition and
>the rest is all Linux.
>Using fdisk, I toggled the boot switch in the big partition, now that I
>rebooted my machine, I got a
>message saying that there was not operating system.
>I really don't know what the problem could be, but I want to get rid of
>LILO and any other OS, but
>LINUX.
>
>Hey!! if you know what I can do to solve this problem, I would
>appreciate an email at
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Lilo is the LInux LOader -- hence the name.

A computer's BIOS is just smart enough to go to the very beginning of the
first active partition it finds and load the very first few bytes of code it
finds there into memory and execute it.  That small scrap of code is enough
smarter that it can load more information into memory and execute it, and that
 second piece of code can then load a kernel into memory and execute it -- and
the kernel takes over from there.  As you can see, starting a computer from
cold requires three things: an active partition, a kernel loader and a kernel.
 Right now you're missing two.

There is an alternate boot loader called "grub".  I don't know more than the
name.  You might find some information on it on freshmeat.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 21:18:37 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ultra ATA 66 support ?

The 2.3.x development kernels have some support.  I've also read in a
few cases it is ID'ed as a U/33, and a few passing ide2/3 params in LILO
(as was necessary in 2.0.34).

From: "Ryan T. Hidden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Video Card for new Internet PC
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 23:38:41 -0700

I am starting to research components for a PC that I will
use for the Internet and office suite applications. How much
of a video card do I need for the Internet? I want to be
able to do anything that is available. I would like to be
able to watch the latest Britney Spears video and whatever
other movies or applications that are available. I also will
be doing some web design, with all the latest technologies
of course.

I am interested in the ATI All-in-Wonder video cards. I like
the extra features this card gives. This card does not seem
to rate too highly for 3D gaming. Since I do not plan to
play 3D games will this be a problem?

Do I need a video card with 32 mb of ram? If I get a card
with 32 mb of ram will the extra memory go to waste?

Also, I would like to eventually be running Linux. Right
away I would run Windows 98 or NT. Maybe Windows 2000 by the
time this get built. What is a good/best card for Linux?

In conclusion, do I need to worry about memory and 3D
performance? What are the minimums that you would recommend.
Are most of the video cards compatible with Linux?

Thanks,

R.T.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: LS-120?
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:06:49 GMT

What floppy icon?  Under kde, fvwm, fvwm2, or fvwm95 window manager?
Can you specifically point it out?

I tried to mount "mount -t vfat /dev/hdc1 /floppy", but have no luck.
When I used "fdisk /dev/hdc", I cannot see a clear list of drive
information.  This is what I got:

/dev/hdc1   ?  53331972  68455224 272218546+  20  Unknown
Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(356, 97, 46) logical=(53331971, 0, 3)
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(357, 116, 40) logical=(68455223, 1, 5)
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary:
     phys=(357, 116, 40) should be (357, 1, 18)
/dev/hdc2   ?  36949562  51921125 269488144   6b  Unknown
Partition 2 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(288, 110, 57) logical=(36949561, 0, 7)
Partition 2 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(269, 101, 57) logical=(51921124, 1, 8)
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary:
     phys=(269, 101, 57) should be (269, 1, 18)
/dev/hdc3   ?  14971928  53815342 699181456   53  Unknown
Partition 3 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(345, 32, 19) logical=(14971927, 1, 2)
Partition 3 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(324, 77, 19) logical=(53815341, 1, 9)
Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary:
     phys=(324, 77, 19) should be (324, 1, 18)
/dev/hdc4   *  38739658  38740250     10668+  49  Unknown
Partition 4 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(87, 1, 0) logical=(38739657, 0, 12)
Partition 4 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(335, 78, 2) logical=(38740249, 1, 18)
Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary:
     phys=(335, 78, 2) should be (335, 1, 18)

My first master IDE channel is a hard disk drive,
   first slave  IDE channel is a CD-ROM drive,
   second master IDE is Imation LS-120 drive
   no second slave IDE

I'm running on a FIC mother board - Pentium 233 MMX with 64 Meg Memory.

When I boot it (SUSE-6.1 boot disk, 1.44 Meg) I don't have any problem.
The only problem is I cannot cp my newly compiled kernel to the LS-120
drive (not LS-120 disk, just a 1.44 Meg like the boot disk).  I cannot
do anything to it.

I appreciate if somebody can help.

James Chao
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Csaba Raduly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Phillip McGregor wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry if this is an inappropriate newsgroup for this query ...
> >
> > I've just installed the latest Mandrake Linux distribution, based on
> > Redhat 6.0,
>
> <AOL>
> Me too !
> </AOL>
>
> > and most things are working OK ... however, the system
> > will not mount the LS-120 (MATSHITA LS-120 VER 4 06 according to
> > Windows) as a floppy drive using the floppy icon on the KDE desktop.
> > This is rather a problem as I have the LS-120 *instead* of a floppy
> > drive (taking up an IDE port) ... and I would like to be able to
read
> > (at least) 3.5" disks (if not the 120 MB ones <sigh>)
> >
> > Anyone out there managed to install an LS-120 so it will mount under
> > Linux? Any pointers (simple ones, please, I'm a Linux newbie :-)
would