Linux-Hardware Digest #949, Volume #10            Sat, 7 Aug 99 00:13:27 EDT

Contents:
  Re: bt848 linux == CRASH ("R.K.Aa")
  SEXY STUFF 86374 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: USB support in Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: ls120: not recognized (NOT the BOOT problem) (Aaron Ginn)
  Re: using an old linux drive for Windows (Michael Wellman)
  Re: CD-ROM not playing audio CDs ("Thomas S. Manley")
  Re: MegaRAID 762 + RedHat 6.0 (Mike Simos)
  Re: SoundBlaster Live! & Mandrake 6.0 ("airmax95")
  Re: 486 is REALLY Slow (Peter Hecke)
  Re: screen resolution (David Pace)
  Hitachi CDR-7730 CD-ROM detected as tape drive by 2.0.35 kernel ("Josh Rauscher")
  Re: Diamond A50 (SiS 6326AGP) Help (Ed Wilts)
  Re: can't mount to cdrom (Aaron Ginn)
  Re: XFree86 : Trident 9750 3DImage. (David Pace)
  Re: ATI All-In-Wonder 128 (Sheldon Newhouse)
  Re: ATI All-In-Wonder 128 (Sheldon Newhouse)
  Re: using a old logitech color scanman? ("Joe Horecny")
  Re: howto use cd-r in RH6.0 (Aaron Ginn)
  sun sparcstation (Mark Walsh)
  Re: Add Compaq LJ700 printer and what quality (David Pace)
  Re: root pw problem - URGENT
  [Help] ATi Xpert 98 vs Display Flicks (Young4ert)

From: "R.K.Aa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bt848 linux == CRASH
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 18:11:19 +0200

Torrey Searle wrote:

> Hello,
>     I have a "Smart One" video capture card by Best Data, it uses the
> BT848 chipset,
> so I have installed the drivers, however the insant I try runnng xawtv I
> get a complete system lockup.  I have read all the docks, I have tryed
> setting the video memory address and triton1=1 options,  I have tried
> disabling pci options in the bios, and nothing seems to work.

Start it from commandline with "xawt -v 3" for max debugging output.
Some more info could give a better clue. However, I had the same problem
with  kWinTV. The "solution" was to disable videocapture at startup.
Once it was up and running without a moving image i could enable capture
and all was well. Not sure if this option is available in xawtv. In my
case it's was some conflict with X that did it - not a hardware
conflict. It started after i upgraded various X and KDE stuff. The
entire system didn't actually lock up but all of X - keyboard included -
froze, so there was no escape since the machine isn't networked. You
might wanna test with kwintv just to check if the problem continues even
after a "fix" like this.

--
Step by step guide to TrueType fonts under RedHat6:
http://home.powertech.no/rkaa/Linux_and_tv.html#ttf

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: SEXY STUFF 86374
Date: Friday, 06 Aug 1999 16:46:57 -0600

Adults Only:

http://207.240.225.250

l$4,^y@b

{}{}{}{} Only $8.95 A Month, - The Worlds Uncensored News Source {}{}{}{}
{}{}{}{}{} Five News Servers with a BINARIES ONLY Server {}{}{}{}{}

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: USB support in Linux
Date: 06 Aug 1999 11:37:15 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Fincher) writes:

> When is USB expected to be fully supported?  I've heard in kernel 2.2.4 but
> when is that expected to be released?

        Erm, ages ago. AFAIK the USB stack is just about all there,
but there aren't amny drivers kicking around apart from mouse and
keyboard ATM.

--
             Tim.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ls120: not recognized (NOT the BOOT problem)
Date: 06 Aug 1999 10:37:23 -0700

Giulio Orsero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I can't make linux (2.0.33, 2.2.10) recognize the ls-120 floppy drive
> in certain conditions; this problem is NOT RELATED to booting off the
> LS-120; Linux can't boot regularly from LS-120
> so I've disabled this in the BIOS.
>
> So I'm _NOT_ asking how to boot off the ls120.
>
> MY PROBLEM: linux recognizes ls120 only if it's on an IDE controller
> together with an IDE
> HD.

IMO, the ls-120 under linux sucks.  I have had nothing but trouble from
this drive.  For four months, I couldn't get Linux to recognize the
drive at all.  I wouldn't recommend this drive to anyone using Linux.
That said, I have some suggestions for you to try to see if you can get
it working.

> Examples:
>
> hdc HD
> hdd ls120
> --> OK
>
> hdc cdrom
> hdd ls120
> --> Not recognized
>
> hda ls120
> hdb nothing
> --> Not recognized
>
> I've tried all master/slave combinations.

For me, the best combination was to put the ls-120 as the master on the
secondary controller.  I had my hard drive alone on the primary controller,
and a CD-ROM as the slave on the secondary.  Even then I had to do something
really wierd to get this drive to work.  See below.

> When linux recognizes it, it says:
> hdb: LS-120 VER5 00 UHD Floppy, ATAPI FLOPPY drive
>
> When it does not, it says:
> hdb: , ATAPI UNKNOWN (type 31) drive

You are getting the exact output I was getting before I solved my problem,
so this might work for you.  Try enabling the floppy controller in your
BIOS.  This _shouldn't_ do anything because the ls-120 is not connected
to the floppy controller.  However, when I enabled it, Linux recognized the
ls-120 for the first time.

I have other problems now, however.  I added a CD-RW to my computer, and now
I can't get Linux to recognize it any more.  I've given up on this drive.
I plan to get a "real" floppy drive and replace the ls-120 ASAP.  I don't
need the high-capacity of the ls-120 since I now have the CD-RW.

Hope some of this helps you.

Good luck,
Aaron

------------------------------

From: Michael Wellman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: using an old linux drive for Windows
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 02:35:52 GMT

I think you'll have to do an 'fdisk /mbr' command from dos.  I suppose=20
since you can't boot into dos your wondering how to do this?

I have an idea.  Boot from a dos floppy disk.  You might have a=20
Win95/98 emergency boot disk lying around somewhere.  Use the commands=20
on that disk to reformat the drive then do the fdisk /mbr.

On 8/6/99, 4:38:20 PM, Tim Bilida <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote regarding=
=20
using an old linux drive for Windows:

> I'm trying to take a hard drive that used to have Linux installed and
> install Windows 98 on it. I've deleted the partitions and copied=20
Windows

------------------------------

From: "Thomas S. Manley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: CD-ROM not playing audio CDs
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 19:43:58 -0400

Matthias Kilian wrote:

> > CD, though, it doesn't come through the soundcard.  I can plug
> > headphones into the CD-ROM itself and hear the audio CD being played.
> > I have a cable that I bought a while back that connects the CD-ROM to
> > the soundcard.  Playing audio CDs through the CD-ROM used to work
> > fine, but now just doesn't.  It doesn't work under Windows, either, so
>
> Try to replace the cable. Check the audio connector of CD-ROM and soundcard.
> Those connectors are pretty sensible to hard pulling, so if you've bad luck,
> the connector or even the copper layer on the card or CD-ROM may be broken
> (the latter happened on my second-hand CD-ROM).
>
> Kili

While a very probably idea, I don't think that's it because mine is also
refusing to play audio CDs yet I know the cable connection between my CD
player and soundcard exists and has not been tampered with.  I'm
wondering if it has something to do with my soundcard.  I currently have
a SB PCI128, a Panasonic multiplatter CD changer and a DVD-ROM drive.
Any suggestions as to what could prevent my CD player from playing audio
CDs?  I've tried both drives and no luck...but it *does* read data CDs.
My soundcard also has no problem with digital audio files.  Any help is
appreciated.

--
Thomas S. Manley

From: Mike Simos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MegaRAID 762 + RedHat 6.0
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 01:55:40 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
> megaraid: found 0x8086:0x1960:idx 0:bus 0:slot 12:fun l
>   scsi0: found a MegaRAID controller at 0xc800300, IRQ: 11
> megaraid: [2.05:1.12] detected 1 logical drives
> scsi0: AMI MegaRAID 2.05 254 commands 16 targs 2 chans
> scsi: 1 host
> scsi0: scanning chanel A for devices.
>   Vendor: ESG-SHV  Model: SCA HBP M7      Rev. 0.08
>   Type:   Processor                       ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> scsi0: scanning channel B for devices
> ---> hangs here

Are you loading the Symbios module too? You can not load the symbios
module and the megaraid module. To get this working properly you must
disable the SCSI BIOS in the motherboard BIOS. (You must set the [SCSI
Option ROM Scan] to Disable in BIOS setup.) You must also have the card
in slot three. Refer to
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/n440bx/mega_ovw.htm
Make sure the jumpers on the RAID card is set to 2 channels. The
MEGARAID driver doesn't see your RAID array. All it is showing is the
hot swap backplane. If you've properly configured your raid array in the
megaraid bios it should first see the logical drive(s) you've created
and then the hotswap backplane. Give me more details on how you have
everything configured because it seems you have something misconfigured.

Mike

------------------------------

From: "airmax95" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: SoundBlaster Live! & Mandrake 6.0
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 02:02:28 GMT

hi,

i also have the sblive! and i am planning on install redhat 6.0 soon...
could you please tell me where you got the drivers for the sblive! and the
commands to install it?? or maybe point me to a site that has these
answers?? thanks!!!

news:7of4hc$4d9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Peter Hecke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 486 is REALLY Slow
Date: 6 Aug 1999 23:50:02 GMT

Frank v Waveren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <Xv8q3.380$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Danny Willis) writes:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Petty) writes:
>>
>>>I'm putting on the finishing wraps on a 486 Frankenstein machine.
>>

>>>I'm new to the Intel side, so could someone tell me if this machine is
>>>supposed to be this freaking slow?!
>>
>>>Is there something really big and obvious that I missed? It is unrealistic
>>>to expect to be able to use KDE on a 486?

> kde on a 486? Not really. :-(

Excuse me?  A 486/66 or better is all you need to run Linux with X.  The
486 is not the bottleneck.  Rather the amount of available memory and the
disk I/O rate are the limiting factors.  I have been running Linux on a
486/66 and now a 486/133 with 32Mb.  I am going to add 16Mb more memory and
a faster hard drive interface card (DTC 2278EB) to support the PIO mode 4
data transfer rate of my hard drive.  The upgraded system should fly.

I run Suse 6.1, X, Netscape 4.61 and some other apps at the same time.  I only
get a little swapping.  The additional 16Mb should fix that.

Also, use a fast 64bit graphics card.  I have both an Orchid Kelvin 64 and
a Creative Labs Graphics Blaster Extreme 3D card.  Both are fast and can be
had cheaply.

I highly recommend a 486/100 or 133 (AMD) CPU.  You can buy them used from
all those people thinking they need to upgrade to a Pentium.

After you get the hardware in order, tune the system software.  Re-compile the
kernel specificly for your 486 and remove any drivers for hardware that you
do not have.  Run hdparm to tune your disk I/O performance.

Hope this helps!

------------------------------

From: David Pace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: screen resolution
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 22:25:28 -0400

==============D757D684074778D3DB22621D

John Brashier wrote:

> I am trying to discover how to reset the screen resolution.
> I know about the CTRL ALT +,- option, but I want to
> completely reset the number of colors. The mouseconfig
> takes you back to the part of the setup for the mouse. Am
> I looking for something similar for the screen settings?
> Any help is welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> John Brashier

Xconfigurator
and XF86Setup
are used for this.

But, I found the best success
editing /etc/XF86Config directly.

Section "Screen"
needs a line (four lines down):

DefaultColourDepth 16

to indicate the number of colours.

David Pace

--
Free commodity/stock graphing software
and Linux links at http://www.daveware.com

==============D757D684074778D3DB22621D

John Brashier wrote:

<pre>--&nbsp;
Free commodity/stock graphing software&nbsp;
and Linux links at <A HREF="http://www.daveware.com">http://www.daveware.com</A></pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: "Josh Rauscher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hitachi CDR-7730 CD-ROM detected as tape drive by 2.0.35 kernel
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 22:45:56 -0400

     Linux is unable to properly detect my Hitachi CDR-7730 CD-ROM drive
when it is set as slave on either the primary or secondary controller.   The
results are the same with both the on-board IDE controller and a late model
add-on card built to overcome BIOS limitations.

     When the drive is set as slave, both the IDE controller and the Linux
kernel return a similar identification string for the drive.  The string is
identical to the correct one, except that every other character is
"garbage."  Strangely enough, the DOS driver supplied by Hitachi is able to
detect and use the drive even under these circumstances.  Unfortuntely,
Linux identifies the drive as a tape drive and goes on to say it is
unsupported.

     I have eliminated the hard disk as a factor by trying several drives: 1
Western Digital, 1 Samsung, 1 Conner, and 2 Seagates.

     Linux correctly detects the drive when it is set as primary master or
secondary master.  Under these conditions the drive works normally except
for an occasional delay.

      If anyone has any idea how to enable the CDR-7730 as slave, please
post or contact me.

Josh Rauscher

From: Ed Wilts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond A50 (SiS 6326AGP) Help
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 02:08:21 GMT

==============6991F844CF5BB06E6FD532AF

Urungus wrote:

> I don't see that file there.
> Could you give the full link?
> Thanks. =)
>
> --
> Rungi

The basic problem is that Xconfigurator writes out a non-functioning
XF86Config file.  I'm attaching just the device segment from my
configuration.  Modify your config to match (adjust videoram as
required).  Restart X and you should be ok.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts
Mounds View, MN, USA

# Device configured by Xconfigurator:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Diamond Speedstar A50"
    VendorName  "Diamond"
    BoardName   "A50"
    VideoRam    8192
    Option "no_bitblt"
    Option "no_imageblt"
    Option "sw_cursor"
    # Option "no_accel" # Use this if acceleration is causing problems
    # Option "fifo_moderate"
    # Option "fifo_conserv"
    # Option "fifo_aggresive"
    # Option "fast_vram"
    # Option "pci_burst_on"
    # Option "xaa_benchmark" # DON'T use with "ext_eng_queue" !!!
    # Option "ext_eng_queue" # Turbo-queue. This can cause drawing
                             # errors, but gives some accel
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

From: Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't mount to cdrom
Date: 06 Aug 1999 12:39:21 -0700

"sham khalil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> my linux box does not have its own cdrom drive.  i only have the cdrom drive
> during installation and whenever needed.  but today i reattach the cdrom
> drive to my linux box and i couldn't mount it.
>
> the message is
>     mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/hdd as a block device
>              (maybe `insmod driver'?)
>
> how do i solve this problem?
>

> thanx
>
> sham khalil

What distro are you using?  Do you have ATAPI/IDE CD-ROM support compiled into
the kernel?  If so, is it compiled as a module?  A little more info is needed.

Aaron

------------------------------

From: David Pace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: XFree86 : Trident 9750 3DImage.
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 23:08:48 -0400

Gorka wrote:

> My graphic card is a "Trident 9750 3DImage" with 4Mb and I can't
> configure X-Windows to work with it. In the list of drivers of the
> installation program this card does not appear and when I choose another
> one, the monitor switches off when running startx ( and I heard an
> extrange noise )...
>
> Could anyone help me???,
>
> Thanks Anyway,
>
> GPA

Check out:

http://www.Xfree86.org

to see if your card has a driver.

From: Sheldon Newhouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: ATI All-In-Wonder 128
Date: 06 Aug 1999 23:17:01 -0400

Xigraphics (www.xig.com) sells a commercial X-server (US $99) which
supports the Rage Fury chipset.  I downloaded the demo from their web
site and it worked on my ATI All-in-wonder 128.

-Cheers,
 -sen
 Sheldon E. Newhouse         |      mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       |
 Mathematics Department      |       www: http://www.mth.msu.edu/~sen |
 Michigan State University   | telephone: 517-355-9684                |
 E. Lansing, MI 48824-1027   |       FAX: 517-432-1562                |
 USA                         |                                        |

From: "Joe Horecny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scanners
Subject: Re: using a old logitech color scanman?
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 03:34:42 GMT

I've got one of these and there is a little box with a cable on it that goes
into your parallel port and it has a parrallel port on the other side of the
box which you plug your printer into. The little box also has a jack for an
external power suppy and the scanman cable (ps/2 style).  Sounds like your
missing the printer bypass connector and power supply.

From: Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: howto use cd-r in RH6.0
Date: 06 Aug 1999 12:44:40 -0700

Raghav Suri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have a HP CD-Writer Plus 8100i internal ATAPI CD-R/CD-RW drive.
> It is connected as a secondary master drive on the on-board ide
> controller.
>
> The following is the extract of dmesg
>
> VP_IDE: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
> VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe000-0xe007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
>     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xe008-0xe00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
> hda: ST34310A, ATA DISK drive
> hdb: CREATIVECD4820E, ATAPI CDROM drive
> hdc: Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 8100, ATAPI CDROM drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
> hda: ST34310A, 4111MB w/512kB Cache, CHS=524/255/63
> hdb: ATAPI 32X CD-ROM drive, 240kB Cache
> Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.54
> hdc: ATAPI 24X CD-ROM DVD-RAM CD-R/RW drive, 1024kB Cache
>
> i have downloaded cdrecord 1.6 and 1.8
>
> Can someone please help me how to burn my first cd under linux. ( i have
> no idea at all!)
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Raghav Suri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Softchip Infotech (p) ltd.
> New Delhi.

As was mentioned by another poster, you need to compile SCSI emulation into
the kernel.  Specifically, you need the following:

1) General SCSI support
2) SCSI CD-ROM support
3) SCSI emulation

Read the CD-Writing HOWTO for more info.

HTH,
Aaron Ginn

------------------------------

From: Mark Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sun sparcstation
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 19:36:09 -0700

Any one have any experience loading Red Hat 6 for Sparc on a
SparcStation 10?

I just picked one up for free with 80MB ram and two 2GB drives, plus a
new SUN external CDROM drive.  I also need a keyboard map as the SUN
keyboard is totally different from the Intel based keyboards I am used
to.

I want to set this up as a mail server for an Intranet.....

Please respond to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: David Pace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.linux.os,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Add Compaq LJ700 printer and what quality
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 23:34:59 -0400

Richard Nunez wrote:

> I have a question or two.  I want to setup a linux box to serve a few
> computers for home use.  I want to know what would the quality of printing
> be if I would let my Linux box server as a print server to a Compaq LJ700
> Color Printer.  Right now I have it shared off of my NT box.

Check out ghostscript and see if it has drivers for that printer.
If yes, then the quality will probably be excellent.

> I know I could just put some sort of box and have all the computers
> connected with parallel cables, but I know that is overkill.  I also have an
> HP DeskJet 520 (black & white) and I know the quality is of no consiquence
> since I use it only for printing B/W and text documents.
>
> P.S.  Could someone point me to someone or document that isn't so
> technically inclined so I get this box up as a proxy server so my wife and I
> can both use the internet at the same time.

Here it is:

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade-2.html#ss2.1

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: root pw problem - URGENT
Date: 7 Aug 1999 02:28:15 GMT

>> On a Slackware 3.0 system, the root password suddenly no longer works.
>
>> > Only two individuals have root access to this system and neither of us
>> > have changed it.  The box is running (that is, it's been up for some
>> > time--boots into X) and we have just discovered that now we cannot make
>> > a telnet connection to the system as root, nor can we login to a new
>> > terminal as root.  Keep getting invalid password error.  We don't want
>> > to shutdown -r if we'll be unable to get back in.
>> >
>> > Have tried:
>> >
>> > 1. deleting encrypted root password entry in /etc/shadow and replacing
>> > with nothing.  Result: cannot login.
>> > 2. deleting encrypted root password entry in /etc/shadow and replacing
>> > with *.  Result: cannot login.
>> > 3. to give someone root user/group access, tried changing user/group
>> > entries in passwd for the two logins we have (his and mine).  Result:
>> > cannot login.
>> > 4. used pwunconv to move shadow pw entries into /etc/passwd and tried 1.
>> > and 2. agian.  Result: cannot login.

I'm pretty unclear ...

If you're logged in now, presumably as root (or you wouldn't be able to do all
that stuff to /etc/shadow and /etc/passwd), why don't you just say "passwd"
and change the password to something you know?  If you're the superuser now,
you don't even have to know the old password to change it.

That's too easy, so obviously I'm missing something ... but in any case,
unless the correct remote terminal is in your /etc/securetty file, you won't
be able to log in as root via telnet anyway.

Eric

------------------------------

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: [Help] ATi Xpert 98 vs Display Flicks
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 23:32:49 -0400

Hi There,

I have an AMD K6-2 400Mhz computer with an ATi Xpert 98 video card + a
17" monitor.  It is capable to dual boot with Linux and Nt-4 Server.  On
the Linux side, I use SuSE-6.1 Linux distro.  The current setup for the
display on either boot is 1280x1024 32bpp.  Unfortunately, the display
seems to behave so erratic that it flicks one after the other.
Sometime, it just flicks every once in an hour or so.  This kind of
behaviour does not exist when I boot my computer with NT-4 Server.  This
means the video card + display/monitor are fine, except the setup of the
XFree86 server or something else.

I am wondering if anyone out there has a similiar experience with an ATi
Xper 98 video card.  If you have a solution to this uncomfortable
behaviour of the display, please kindly respond through e-mail.  TIA