From: QuestionExchange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Upgrading for better perform
Date: 8 Aug 1999 17:7:56 GMT

First of all, if you're using X (in particular if you're using KDE or GNOME), you
should get more RAM.

More RAM always makes sense, because Linux actually makes use of all RAM (RAM that
isn't needed is automatically used to cache harddisks etc).
Especially with a memory-hungry distribution like SuSE, you should get at least 32 MB.
Updating the harddisk IMO makes sense only if you need the additional diskspace;
unless you're continually accessing the disk, a faster disk doesn't speed up the
system a lot.

About software tuning:
First of all you should try figuring out the best parameters for the harddisk.
Try
        hdparm -c1 -d1 -X66 /dev/hda
If this doesn't work, try
        hdparm -c1 -d1 -X34 /dev/hda
If that doesn't work either, try
        hdparm -c1 -d1 /dev/hda

Recompiling the kernel, glibc and CPU intensive applications/libraries with pentium
optimizations (using a compiler like gcc 2.95 or pgcc (http://www.goof.com/pcg)) can
speed up the system by about 25%.

You might also want to have a look at
the PowerTweak linux port (http://linux.powertweak.com/).

  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com

  For other answers and comments visit:

http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet1/showUsenetGuest?ans_id=2285&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=1384

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael George)
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: CDROM driver not supported in RH 6 install
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 18:17:13 GMT

On Sun, 8 Aug 1999 22:54:04 -0400, Bowyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The installation gave me the following choices.  I've also listed what
>happened:
>
>Aztech CD                          autoprobe failed
>Backpack CDROM           autprobe failed
>Goldstar R420                   autoprobe failed
>Misumi                                asked for specifications / autoprobe
>failed
>Mitsumi (alternate)             autoprobe failed
>Optics Storage 8000         asked for specifications / autoprobe failed
>Phillips CM206/260           asked for specifications / autoprobe failed
>Sanyo                                  autoprobe failed
>Sony CDU -31A                 asked for specifications / autoprobe failed
>Sony CDU -5xx                   autoprobe failed
>Soundblaster/ Panasonic  took forever / autoprobe failed

I don't see the ATAPI or SCSI options in this list.  Do you have one of those
types of CD-ROM drives?

Unless I've missed the post, you haven't told us anything about your system
except that it give you errors.  Your configuration would be most helpful.

-Michael

--
Reply address is completely bogus.  The real address is:
        GEORGE <at symbol> MINTCITY <dot> COM

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark )
Subject: Re: Memory Price Increase, why?
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 15:54:52 GMT

more likely the beginning of the school year followed by Christmas.
;-)

------------------------------

From: Michael Wellman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's the best K6-3 mobo?
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 19:52:01 GMT

 Harald Arnesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Allen Crider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> : > Hmmm. Why would someone need 512MB of RAM?

> : Nobody should need more than 640k.

> 48k was the max memory size on my trs-80.  who would need more than=20
that?

48k!!! My God!  What kind of memory hogging bloatware are you using. =20
Geez, anybody knows that a Commodore Vic 20's 16k can handle anything=20
thrown at it!  What's the world coming to?

------------------------------

From: "michael kennedy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tnt ultra 2
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 20:31:49 +0100

Go to www.nvidia.com

Download the Linux Driver tar file and untar within Linux. Run the install
script as root and then config X as normal using the XF86_SVGA Server.

Michael

------------------------------

From: "michael kennedy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound blaster live problems
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 20:37:45 +0100

It almost sounds like you IRQ is conflicting with another device. I've got a
similiar problem, just not as bad. How to configure IRQ settings in Linux is
not something I know just yet, as I've not used Linux for long. I think my
Graphics Server is conflicting with the Sound Card as they both use the same
IRQ as the PCI Bus holder does. Most of the time this is 10.

As for more then 2 speaker support. Well, until Creative Labs or someone
else port across the software to control all four speakers, you can only
have two. I know this sucks after paying money for four speakers, but until
linux is more wide spread in the home, its going to be the best at the time
for us...

Michael
John-Paul Stanford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7oi89c$i2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hiya,
>
> I've being trying to setup my sound Blaster live to work under linux but
> can't get it fully working. The problem is that the mixer and cd-rom both
> work, but when I try to play and wave or midi sounds the card starts to
make
> loud buzzing noises. Does anyone know what is causing this or have you had
> similar problems.
>
> In order to get the module driver to load I've also had to turn off the
plug
> 'n' play support in by bios. Could my problems be because of my mother
> board. It's a Micronics Helios mother board with a Phoniex Bios. If the
plug
> 'n' play is off I can load the module and the interrupts look like there
all
> configure correct for the SBLive card.
>
> Also I only get output from 2 speakers rather that all four like in
windows.
> Does anyone know if it's possible to get out put from all four speakers
yet
> ?
>
> I'm using the 'emu10k1-0.3b' drive with the linux kernel 2.2.10. I also
> using SUSE 6.0. My system is a Pentium 2  400hz with 128 Ram. It has a
Dual

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Modules don't work after kernel compile
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 19:10:10 GMT

Hi,

HELP! I must be doing something wrong here.

I have red hat 6.0 and a dual processor computer.  I can not
get my modules to work after I recompile a new kernel.

When I boot to the new kernel, it will stop at the first instance of a
module.  I can not boot at all if I compile my scsi controller as a
module.

If I compile all my critical stuff as non-modules, the non-critical
stuff won't work (like my sound card).  Changing these modules
to non-modules and re-compiling fixes the problem.

I have attached a note I wrote myself on compiling a
new kernel.  What am doing wrong?

Many thanks,
--Tony
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Please email me as well as respond to the news group (my nntp server
only gets back about 1 in 10 replies and I have to dig them out out
dejanews).

================== Note on compiling a kernel:============
1) login as root

2) cd /usr/src/linux

3) startx

4) Note: Red Hat 5.2 and lower: If you are compiling an SMP (multiple
processors) kernel,
edit "Makefile" and set SMP=1 (note that "1" stands for true not
the number of processors)

5) make xconfig
Make desired changes
Red Hat 6.0 and higher: for SMP support is enabled in "Processor Type
and Features".  You
also must turn off APM support in "General" AND enable "Enhanced Real
Time Support"
in Character Devices

6) make dep; make clean

7) "make zImage"   or    "make bzImage" if the kernel is large

8) compile your modules:
   a)  move the old modules out of the way.  Example:
            mv /lib/modules/2.2.5-15 /lib/modules/2.2.5-15-old

   b)  run "make modules"

   c)  run "make modules_install"

   Now make an empty .rhkvmtag in the new modules directory.  Example:
      touch /lib/modules/<version>/.rhkvmtag
      touch /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/.rhkvmtag

9) cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage  /boot/vmlinuz.smp
                       or
   cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz.smp

Note: change vmlinuz.smp's name as needed.  NEVER overwrite the
original kernel.

   Also, update /boot/System.map from the System.map found in the linux
directory after compilation
         mv /boot/System.map /boot/System.map.000
         cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/.

   And, make a backup copy of /boot/module-info (not the link, but the
file pointed to by the link)

10) fix initrd image:
        turn on module loopback device
              insmod loop

        create new module dependancy file
              depmod -av

        create a new initrd in the boot directory with mkinitrd.  Make
sure that
        the lilo.conf entry points to it.  Examples:
              /sbin/mkinitrd /boot/<newinitrd-image>  <version>
              /sbin/mkinitrd /boot/initrd.smp.img     2.2.5-15

   Note: 2.2.5-15 is the current version of the modules you are
   using (see "ls -alg /lib/modules"); subsitute your version

11) edit /etc/lilo.conf as needed.  Example:

boot=/dev/sda5
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
append="mem=131072K"
default=linux.smp
#default=linux
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz.smp
        label=linux.smp
        root=/dev/sda5
        initrd=/boot/initrd.smp.img
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15smp
        label=linux
        root=/dev/sda5
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.5-15smp.img
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15
        label=linux-up
        root=/dev/sda5
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.5-15.img
        read-only
other=/dev/sda1
        label=dos
        table=/dev/sda

12) run "lilo".  Fix any error that pop up with 10 & 11

13) shutdown -r now

14) after reboot, update .rhkvmtag:
     cat /proc/version > /lib/modules/<version>/.rhkvmtag
     cat /proc/version > /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/.rhkvmtag

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Harris)
Subject: IO errors reading tapes
Date: 8 Aug 1999 18:56:51 GMT

I hope someone here can help me solve an annoying problem...

First the hardware:
Machine 1:  DELL dual CPU
Linux nebula.mpn.com 2.0.33 #5 Tue May 12 13:04:22 BST 1998 i686 unknown
AHA1542 controller,
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ARCHIVE  Model: Python 28454-XXX Rev: 4ASB
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
(This is an old Sun DDS-1 tape drive)

Machine 2: Old DX2-66
Linux womble.mew.co.uk 2.0.34 #1 Wed Jul 1 22:55:20 BST 1998 i486
AHA1542 controller,
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: C1533A           Rev: 9406
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
(This is a HP 6000 tape drive - DDS-2)

Now the problem.

On machine 1 I do:
  mt -f /dev/st0 setdensity 0
  mt -f /dev/st0 setblk 64
  tar cvbf 126 /dev/st0 directory

This writes the tape perfect.

On machine 2 I do:
  mt -f /dev/st0 setblk 64
  tar xvf /dev/st0

This reads the whole tape excect the last few data block.  I can read 600Mb of
data easily (if that's on the tape) _except_ the last 100 Kb!

The error I see is
st0: Error with sense data: Current error st09:00: sns = f0  3
ASC=11 ASCQ= 0
Raw sense data:0xf0 0x00 0x03 0x00 0x00 0x02 0x00 0x0e 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x11 0x00
0x00 0x00

Now that says "read error".  Ugh.   I get exactly the same read error with a
different HP6000 drive.  But an old WangDAT3100 on the same system can read
the tape perfectly (or it could until it stopped recognising tapes at all and
just ejects them).

The HP6000 then flashes the "needs cleaning" light, which goes out if I put
a cleaning tape in... until I try another tape.

This is tape independent and happens around 90% of the time, depending on
what I record on the tape (it's different every time).

My "fix" at the moment is to save three 100Kb padding files afterwards
("tar cvbf .... directory padding").  The last tape I restored restored
resulted in
% ls -l padding/
total 2984
-rw-r--r--   1 root     wheel     1048576 Apr  1 18:22 xxx
-rw-r--r--   1 root     wheel     1048576 Apr  1 18:22 xxx2
-rw-r--r--   1 root     wheel      943104 Aug  8 00:58 xxx3

xxx3 is exactly 103Kb short!

Could this be a read-ahead problem?  Is there any known work around?  Any
advice?

Thanks!!!!

--

rgds
Stephen

------------------------------

From: "Lonny Selinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Install
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 13:06:17 -0600

   I have been trying to install RH 5.2 onto a Compaq Armada 7730mt that has
no CD-ROM drive. I do however have a PCMCIA NIC installed and it does
recognise it. I am trying to use the CD-ROM off my Windows machine and have
both a Parallel (crossover) and ethernet connection, but it seems no matter
what I set for IP etc on the Windows machine I still cannot access my CD-ROM
even though it is shared and set up. Does anyone have any suggestions or
maybe a place where I can find step instructions for how to do an install
over a peer to peer style network? I have also tried using a DOS program to
transfer the entire CD and then do an Install from the Hard drive. It mount
but says "does not contain RedHat tree structure" even though I followed
what I found for information to the letter. IE: mkdir C:\RedHat mkdir
C:\RedHat\base mkdir C:\RedHat\RPMS and copied ALL the damn RPMS and base
dir to their appropriate dir's on C:\ it still would not work. ANY
suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You,

-Lonny Selinger

------------------------------

From: Kevin R. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: PnP Kernel and PnP Modem
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 19:30:40 GMT

Hi all,

I'm running Slakware 4.0 and have compiled my Kernel to include PnP
support.

I can't get my Pace 56 internal PnP modem to work. This is NOT a win
modem.

I also can't get my Creative Sound blaster 16 PnP to work

Do I still need to be using isapnp or setserial despite having a PnP
OS

Do I need now to enable PnP OS option in my BIOS (doesn't seem to help
if I do)?

Would life be easier if I took out the PnP support from my kernel and
used ISAPNP instead ?

Is there any documentation anywhere about the implications of using a
PnP kernel ? for instance are the Modem-Howto and other documents
still relevant ?

Any help for this relative newbie would be very much appreciated.

Kevin

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Chris Shiflet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AHA152x card under RedHat 6.0 (kernel 2.2.5)
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 14:24:38 -0400

This is the procedure I tried as well, but to no avail...

Thank you though, and if you have any other suggestions, please let me
know.
May God bless you,
---Chris

From: "Robert L. McCormick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Adaptec 7896 and 7890 support??
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 15:14:10 -0500

Hi all,

Over the last couple months I've been scoping out motherboards for my
next Linux machine.  I want to get  one with onboard SCSI.

The most popular onboard SCSI chips seem to be the Adaptec 7896 and 7890
(looking at supermicro and tyan). I have not heard from anyone using
either of these and they are not listed in the hardware how-to.

So, is anyone out there using a motherboard with either of these two?
If so, please let me know. I'm hesitating on buying a motherboard
because I'm not sure of the level of support in Linux for either of
these SCSI chipsets.

Thanks,

Robert

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (tomislav)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: NC like program (Norton Commander)
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 13:39:42 +0200

In article <7oih49$7t8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Are there any Nc like program in linux. I find NC a very good tool to use.
> tks

Midnight Commander (mc). It probably came with your distribution, try
typing "mc" in the console.

------------------------------

From: "Chad Eddings" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: ATI All-In-Wonder 128
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 20:42:26 GMT

Harish,

I'm having the same problem with the new Gateway PC I just got. I came with
an ATI card with the Rage 128 chipset, which I have found to not "currently"
supported by XF86. However, I found the following url
(http://www.0wned.org/~cain/ragefury.htm) that describes how to use the
"Frame Buffer Device" server with XF86. I found it to be unusable because of
the amount of screen flicker. I could not seem to get rid of it. I read
something about there being a fixed refresh rate when using the frame buffer
device.

Looks like we'll have to wait for support for the Rage128 chipset, write the
driver ourselves or by one of the commercial X servers :-).

chadman

------------------------------

From: ME <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 20:47:31 +0000

Have you checked the physical connection of your CD-ROM.  Some of the
oldest ones and still some kits use combination cards that had a
cd-rom(I/O card but only for proprietary devices) and sound card.  Also
many computers that have factory components still list somewhere on the
CD-ROM drive who made it and what model it is, try taking the device out
of your system and looking at every centimeter of surface area, it
should tell you at least what it is.

From: "Lundegaard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: diamond supra express spi doesn't work?
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 14:26:06 +0200

can i get it work anyway?

------------------------------

From: Snidley Whiplash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Problems with i740 card...
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:39:32 GMT

Krzysztof Golebiowski wrote:

> Hi there!
> I use VideoExcel 740 (with i740) gfx card under Linux (RH 6.0, kernel
> 2.2.8 and XF_Com_i740/XBF_i740 X-servers). Does anyone know how to make
> Linux display X-screen in more than 8bpp (256 colours)? Although I have
> properly configured XF86Config I can't get more than 8bpp, even using
> $ startx -bpp 24.
> When I delete the "Depth  8" section in "Display" X-server doesn't want
> to start without 8bpp resolutions.
>
> Krzysiek
> -->[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> ["Oh, I just love these things! Crunchy on the outside and with
> a chewy center!" said a white bear biting into an igloo.]
DefaultColorDepth 16