Date: 19 Aug 99 21:29:13 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: compression on DAT tapes
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to -ljl- ;

 > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 >   Gustavo Adolfo Kellermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>     I have a SDT-S9000 Sony's DAT unit, and I'm running Red Hat 5.2,
>> kernel 2.2.10. I just want to made compressed backups. I've tried
>> mt -f  /dev/st0 defcompression 1
>> and
>> mt -f /dev/st0 compression 1
>> but it didn't work.

 > I use Kai Makisra's "mt-st" (not GNu's "mt") which has more features.
 > BTW: They are both called "mt".  To see if you are using Kai's do:
 >   mt -v
 > it should report "mt-st v. 0.5b".

There is also, in at least one RH distro an "mt-st v. 0.5" which is so
busted that I've seen recommendations to go back to 0.4.  0.5b seems to
be just fine though.  I'm using it here.

 > Using "mt-st" you can do:
 >   mt datcompression
 > which report the state of compression, or
 >   mt datcompression 1
 > to turn compression ON.

 > If your mt is the GNU one, you can compile and install Kai's.  It
 > compiles out of the box.

That it does.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III
                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need help! want to intsall Linux but Compusa says No!
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 22:02:46 -0400

While the original poster can certainly download Linux for
free, it takes a long time via modem and there may be some
difficulty installing it with this approach.  Easier to purchase
one of the inexpensive Linux CDs from a place like Cheapbytes
(http://www.cheapbytes.com) for $1.99 + $5 S&H.  Or try to borrow
one of the Linux books at a public library which includes the CD.
(Assuming it's a reasonably current version and the CD hasn't been
swiped from the book.)

------------------------------

From: Craig Rasband <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 19:39:08 -0700

 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 >I also heard Corel was giving away WordPerfect for Linux.

I have Suse 6.1, and it came with Wordperfect, although being a
newbie myself, I didn't get it (Wordperfect, that is), installed
properly, and had to delete it.  At the end of the installation,
you have to enter the name of the place you want it installed.
I'm still learning about files and folders in Linux.  Suse 6.2
should be out about now.  You might want to check out Turbolinux
3.6: http://www.turbolinux.com  or Caldera OpenLinux 2.2:
http://www.calderasystems.com/  they're both supposed to be
REALLY easy to install, according to reviews I've read, and they
also come with Wordperfect.

Craig Rasband

------------------------------

From: "Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Re: Advice needed on Sony VAIO PCGF250
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 18:28:20 -0700

Hi Casper:

This is a Linux newsgroup so don't be offended when I recommend that you
scrape W98 off your notebook and install Linux in it's stead.

Linux and X windows (KDE) will provide a powerful and stable environment for
all of your work and some of your play.

As regards the memory, 32megs will keep you very happy under Linux, even
when running X windows.

Best regards,

Brian

------------------------------

From: "jrsimon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Zip 100 and Linux-Mandrake.
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 03:08:24 GMT

I to have had this problem, and have wrote to several groups looking for the
answer. I don't remember how I got on to the mail server list, but you may
want to try to sign up at :

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hope this helps, and if I receive an answer back from someone I'll post it
here.

Shawn

------------------------------

From: Bob White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for info on Parallel and Serial Ports and DTR
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 21:08:06 -0600

I thought I might make a few comments about your problem.  A parallel port
dosen't have any settings for the external interface.  You basically plug the
cable in and it works.  There are settings for the i/o address, irq and such so
that the operating system knows how to find the iport.  You may need to worry
about these when the computer is set up, but not to plug in a printer.  More
likely it is already taken care of by the hardware.

A serial port is an entirely different matter.  It sounds like you have both on
the printer or there wouldn't be any reference to DTR control.  First a little
ancient history.  Back in the old days one had a terminal (like a VT-100) and a
modem (It started out with a couple of cuffs that you could plug your phone
handset into to acousticaly couple to the phone line and ran at a blazing 300
baud.).  The terminal had a DTE (Data Terminal Equipment) interface and the
modem had a DCE (Data Communication Equipment) interface.  Several parameters
had to match on these two interfaces.  Baud rate, number of data bits, number
of stop bits, and odd, even, or no parity.  If those parameters were set
correctly all you had to do was connect a 25 pin cable (not all pins were used)
between the two and everything worked fine.  the DTR signal is Data Terminal
Ready which informs the modem that the terminal is ready to work.  There are
several other handshake lines.  On the modem for example there is Data Set
Ready (DSR) that tells the terminal that the modem is ready to operate, Data
Carrier Detect (DCD) which says this modem is talking to a modem on the other
end, and several others which I can't remember.  When people started building
"other" things, there was no standard way interfaces were designed.  One
manufacturer might think a printer should be a DCE, another a DTE.  One might
use DCD to tell the serial output that it was ready to receive data, another
might use DSR.

Now the 25 pin connector is almost extinct on the PC.  A 9 pin connector is
used.  I have no idea what your power PC uses.  I will assume 9 pin.  Since
your printer manual says DTR control is used I would expect that it has a DTE
interface.  Unless all of the factors are known, the easiest way to make two
serial devices talk to each other is to get an RS-232 interface box which has
LED's that turn red or green depending on what level is on the lines, and
either switches or jumper wires so that different lines can be connected
together across the interface.  I am guessing  that you could buy one for
arround $20-$30.  The interface box used to come with a dual male/female 25 pin
connector on the input and the output which eliminated connector mating
problems.  I don't know if the ones sold today have 9 pin connector
capability.  If not 9 pin to 25 pin adaptors may be needed.  Start by setting
Baud/Data Bits/Stop Bits The same on the serial interface and the printer.
There is a HowTo (I think Serial-HowTo) that will tell you how to set the
serial interface under Linux.  I never use my serial interface for anything but
a modem, and the modem software knows what to do.  Your printer manual should
tell you how to set the printer or what it is by default.  You may also have to
select the serial or parallel interface. Connect a cable from the computer to
the interface box, and a cable from the interface box to the printer.
There are a lot of variations that can be tried.  The instructions that come
with the interface box should give you some ideas about what to try.

I know this is fairly long and pretty vague, but to summarize:  serial ports
are a pain in the butt.

I just thought of one thing you might try instead of using an interface box.
After setting Baud, etc.  get a "straight" RS-232 cable with the appropriate
connectors and give it a try.  If it dosen't work, get a "Null Modem Cable" and
try that.  If one of those dosen't work do the interface box thing.  Good Luck.

Bob White

From: DEEK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NE2000 PCI 10/100Mb ethernet interface card
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 03:39:16 +0000

==============5E75331F34E2DC19A03518A3

Ruud Mol wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I have a problem running my new ne2k compatible pci ethernet card. I can
> get it to work under windows, but that's not what I want. Does anyone
> know what to do about it?
> It's configured (probably by my BIOS): io=0x620 irq=10
> I'm currently running Debian 2.1.
> I've tried all kernel modules in 2.2.1 for pci/eisa/vlb ethernet cards,
> but none seem to work...

Um, you could try lowlevel drivers (not as a module)

You'll end up with something like this in dmsg:

ne2k-pci.c: v0.99L 2/7/98
ne2k-pci.c: PCI NE2000 'RealTek RTL-8029' at I/O 0xdd80, IRQ 11.
eth0: PCI NE2000 found at 0xdd80, IRQ 11,  <some.H/W.interface>

==============5E75331F34E2DC19A03518A3

#
# Automatically generated by make menuconfig: don't edit
#

#
# Code maturity level options
#
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y

#
# Processor type and features
#
# CONFIG_M386 is not set
# CONFIG_M486 is not set
# CONFIG_M586 is not set
# CONFIG_M586TSC is not set
CONFIG_M686=y
CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION=y
# CONFIG_MTRR is not set
CONFIG_SMP=y

#
# Loadable module support
#
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
CONFIG_KMOD=y

#
# General setup
#
CONFIG_NET=y
CONFIG_PCI=y
# CONFIG_PCI_GOBIOS is not set
# CONFIG_PCI_GODIRECT is not set
CONFIG_PCI_GOANY=y
CONFIG_PCI_BIOS=y
CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT=y
CONFIG_PCI_QUIRKS=y
# CONFIG_PCI_OPTIMIZE is not set
CONFIG_PCI_OLD_PROC=y
# CONFIG_MCA is not set
# CONFIG_VISWS is not set
CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
# CONFIG_BSD_PROCESS_ACCT is not set
CONFIG_SYSCTL=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=y
# CONFIG_BINFMT_JAVA is not set
CONFIG_PARPORT=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=m
# CONFIG_PARPORT_OTHER is not set
CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
# CONFIG_APM_POWER_OFF is not set
CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_MULTIPLE_SUSPEND=y
CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE=y
# CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y

#
# Plug and Play support
#
CONFIG_PNP=y
CONFIG_PNP_PARPORT=y

#
# Block devices
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
# CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640_ENHANCED is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RZ1000=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AEC6210 is not set
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OPTI621 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_TRM290 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NS87415 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82C586 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD646 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ALI15X3 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CY82C693 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC20246 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC20262 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT343 is not set
# CONFIG_IDE_CHIPSETS is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NBD=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MD is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_XD is not set
CONFIG_PARIDE_PARPORT=y
# CONFIG_PARIDE is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD is not set

#
# Networking options
#
CONFIG_PACKET=y
CONFIG_NETLINK=y
CONFIG_RTNETLINK=y
# CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV is not set
CONFIG_FIREWALL=y
# CONFIG_FILTER is not set
CONFIG_UNIX=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y
CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER=y
CONFIG_RTNETLINK=y
CONFIG_NETLINK=y
# CONFIG_IP_MULTIPLE_TABLES is not set
# CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_MULTIPATH is not set
# CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_TOS is not set
# CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_VERBOSE is not set
# CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_LARGE_TABLES is not set
# CONFIG_IP_PNP is not set
CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL=y
# CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL_NETLINK is not set
CONFIG_IP_ALWAYS_DEFRAG=y
# CONFIG_IP_TRANSPARENT_PROXY is not set
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE=y
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_ICMP=y
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_MOD=y
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPAUTOFW=y
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPPORTFW=y
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_MFW=y
# CONFIG_IP_ROUTER is not set
# CONFIG_NET_IPIP is not set
# CONFIG_NET_IPGRE is not set
CONFIG_IP_MROUTE=y
CONFIG_IP_PIMSM_V1=y
CONFIG_IP_PIMSM_V2=y
CONFIG_IP_ALIAS=y
# CONFIG_ARPD is not set
# CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES is not set
# CONFIG_INET_RARP is not set
CONFIG_SKB_LARGE=y
CONFIG_IPV6=y
# CONFIG_IPV6_EUI64 is not set
CONFIG_IPX=y
CONFIG_IPX_INTERN=y
# CONFIG_SPX is not set
CONFIG_ATALK=y
# CONFIG_X25 is not set
# CONFIG_LAPB is not set
# CONFIG_BRIDGE is not set
# CONFIG_LLC is not set
# CONFIG_ECONET is not set
# CONFIG_WAN_ROUTER is not set
# CONFIG_NET_FASTROUTE is not set
# CONFIG_NET_HW_FLOWCONTROL is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_IS_SLOW is not set

#
# QoS and/or fair queueing
#
# CONFIG_NET_SCHED is not set

#
# SCSI support
#
CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR_VENDOR is not set
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=y
CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y
CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y
# CONFIG_SCSI_LOGGING is not set

#
# SCSI low-level drivers
#
# CONFIG_SCSI_7000FASST is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_ACARD is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_AHA152X is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_AHA1542 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_AHA1740 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_ADVANSYS is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_IN2000 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_AM53C974 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_MEGARAID is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_BUSLOGIC is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_DTC3280 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_EATA is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_EATA_DMA is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_EATA_PIO is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_FUTURE_DOMAIN is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_GDTH is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_GENERIC_NCR5380 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_INITIO is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_INIA100 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_PPA is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_IMM is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C406A is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C416 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C7xx is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX is not set
CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX=y
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_DEFAULT_TAGS=4
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_MAX_TAGS=32
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_SYNC=20
# CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_PROFILE is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_IOMAPPED is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_PQS_PDS is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_SYMBIOS_COMPAT is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_PAS16 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_PCI2000 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_PCI2220I is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_PSI240I is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_FAS is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_ISP is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_FC is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_SEAGATE is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_DC390T is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_T128 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_U14_34F is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_ULTRASTOR is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_DEBUG is not set

#
# Network device support
#
CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
# CONFIG_ARCNET is not set
CONFIG_DUMMY=y
# CONFIG_EQUALIZER is not set
# CONFIG_ETHERTAP is not set
CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
# CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_3COM is not set
# CONFIG_LANCE is not set
# CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_SMC is not set
# CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_RACAL is not set
CONFIG_RTL8139=m
# CONFIG_YELLOWFIN is not set
# CONFIG_ACENIC is not set
# CONFIG_NET_ISA is not set
CONFIG_NET_EISA=y
# CONFIG_PCNET32 is not set
# CONFIG_AC3200 is not set
# CONFIG_APRICOT is not set
# CONFIG_CS89x0 is not set
# CONFIG_DE4X5 is not set
# CONFIG_DEC_ELCP is not set
# CONFIG_DGRS is not set
CONFIG_EEXPRESS_PRO100=y
# CONFIG_LNE390 is not set
# CONFIG_NE3210 is not set
CONFIG_NE2K_PCI=y
# CONFIG_TLAN is not set
# CONFIG_VIA_RHINE is not set
# CONFIG_ES3210 is not set
# CONFIG_EPIC100 is not set
# CONFIG_ZNET is not set
# CONFIG_NET_POCKET is not set
# CONFIG_FDDI is not set
# CONFIG_HIPPI is not set
# CONFIG_DLCI is not set
# CONFIG_LTPC is not set
# CONFIG_COPS is not set
# CONFIG_IPDDP is not set
CONFIG_PLIP=m
CONFIG_PPP=y
CONFIG_SLIP=m
# CONFIG_SLIP_COMPRESSED is not set
# CONFIG_SLIP_SMART is not set
# CONFIG_SLIP_MODE_SLIP6 is not set
# CONFIG_NET_RADIO is not set
# CONFIG_TR is not set
# CONFIG_SHAPER is not set
# CONFIG_HOSTESS_SV11 is not set
# CONFIG_COSA is not set
# CONFIG_RCPCI is not set

#
# Amateur Radio support
#
# CONFIG_HAMRADIO is not set

#
# IrDA subsystem support
#
# CONFIG_IRDA is not set

#
# ISDN subsystem
#
CONFIG_ISDN=y
CONFIG_ISDN_PPP=y
CONFIG_ISDN_PPP_VJ=y
# CONFIG_ISDN_MPP is not set
CONFIG_ISDN_AUDIO=y
# CONFIG_ISDN_DRV_ICN is not set
CONFIG_ISDN_DRV_LOOP=y
# CONFIG_ISDN_DRV_PCBIT is not set
# CONFIG_ISDN_DRV_HISAX is not set
# CONFIG_ISDN_DRV_SC is not set
# CONFIG_ISDN_DRV_ACT2000 is not set
# CONFIG_ISDN_DRV_AVMB1 is not set

#
# Old CD-ROM drivers (not SCSI, not IDE)
#
# CONFIG_CD_NO_IDESCSI is not set

#
# Character devices
#
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_SERIAL_EXTENDED is not set
# CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD is not set
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT=256
CONFIG_PRINTER=y
CONFIG_PRINTER_READBACK=y
CONFIG_MOUSE=y

#
# Mice
#
# CONFIG_ATIXL_BUSMOUSE is not set
# CONFIG_BUSMOUSE is not set
# CONFIG_MS_BUSMOUSE is not set
CONFIG_PSMOUSE=y
CONFIG_82C710_MOUSE=y
# CONFIG_PC110_PAD is not set
# CONFIG_QIC02_TAPE is not set
# CONFIG_WATCHDOG is not set
# CONFIG_NVRAM is not set
CONFIG_RTC=y

#
# Video For Linux
#
CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV=y
# CONFIG_RADIO_RTRACK is not set
# CONFIG_RADIO_RTRACK2 is not set
# CONFIG_RADIO_AZTECH is not set
# CONFIG_RADIO_CADET is not set
# CONFIG_RADIO_MIROPCM20 is not set
# CONFIG_RADIO_GEMTEK is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_BT848 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_BWQCAM is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_CQCAM is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_PMS is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA5249 is not set
# CONFIG_RADIO_SF16FMI is not set
# CONFIG_RADIO_TYPHOON is not set
# CONFIG_RADIO_ZOLTRIX is not set

#
# Joystick support
#
CONFIG_JOYSTICK=y
CONFIG_JOY_ANALOG=y
# CONFIG_JOY_ASSASIN is not set
# CONFIG_JOY_GRAVIS is not set
# CONFIG_JOY_LOGITECH is not set
# CONFIG_JOY_SIDEWINDER is not set
# CONFIG_JOY_THRUSTMASTER is not set
# CONFIG_JOY_LIGHTNING is not set
# CONFIG_JOY_CONSOLE is not set
# CONFIG_JOY_DB9 is not set
# CONFIG_JOY_TURBOGRAFX is not set
# CONFIG_DTLK is not set

#
# Ftape, the floppy tape device driver
#
# CONFIG_FTAPE is not set

#
# USB drivers - not for the faint of heart
#
CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_UHCI=y
# CONFIG_USB_OHCI is not set
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=y
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_VROOTHUB=y
CONFIG_USB_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_USB_KBD=y
CONFIG_USB_AUDIO=y
# CONFIG_USB_ACM is not set

#
# Filesystems
#
CONFIG_QUOTA=y
CONFIG_AUTOFS_FS=y
# CONFIG_ADFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_AFFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_HFS_FS is not set
CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y
# CONFIG_UMSDOS_FS is not set
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=m
# CONFIG_EFS_FS is not set
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y
CONFIG_JOLIET=y
# CONFIG_MINIX_FS is not set
# CONFIG_NTFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_HPFS_FS is not set
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y
# CONFIG_QNX4FS_FS is not set
CONFIG_ROMFS_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
# CONFIG_SYSV_FS is not set
# CONFIG_UFS_FS is not set

#
# Network File Systems
#
# CONFIG_CODA_FS is not set
CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_NFSD=y
# CONFIG_NFSD_SUN is not set
CONFIG_SUNRPC=y
CONFIG_LOCKD=y
CONFIG_SMB_FS=y
CONFIG_SMB_WIN95=y
CONFIG_NCP_FS=y
CONFIG_NCPFS_PACKET_SIGNING=y
CONFIG_NCPFS_IOCTL_LOCKING=y
# CONFIG_NCPFS_STRONG is not set
CONFIG_NCPFS_NFS_NS=y
# CONFIG_NCPFS_OS2_NS is not set
CONFIG_NCPFS_MOUNT_SUBDIR=y
CONFIG_NCPFS_NLS=y
CONFIG_NCPFS_EXTRAS=y

#
# Partition Types
#
# CONFIG_BSD_DISKLABEL is not set
# CONFIG_MAC_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_SMD_DISKLABEL is not set
# CONFIG_SOLARIS_X86_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_UNIXWARE_DISKLABEL is not set
CONFIG_NLS=y

#
# Native Language Support
#
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_437=m
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_737 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_775 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_850 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_852 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_855 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_857 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_860 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_861 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_862 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_863 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_864 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_865 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_866 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_869 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_874 is not set
CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_1=m
# CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_2 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_3 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_4 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_5 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_6 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_7 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_8 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_9 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_15 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_KOI8_R is not set

#
# Console drivers
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
# CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
# CONFIG_FB is not set

#
# Sound
#
CONFIG_SOUND=y
# CONFIG_SOUND_ES1370 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_ES1371 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SONICVIBES is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSNDCLAS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSNDPIN is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=y
CONFIG_SOUND_DMAP=y
# CONFIG_SOUND_PAS is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_SB=y
CONFIG_SB_BASE=220
CONFIG_SB_IRQ=7
CONFIG_SB_DMA=3
CONFIG_SB_DMA2=5
CONFIG_SB_MPU_BASE=300
CONFIG_SB_MPU_IRQ=-1
CONFIG_SOUND_ADLIB=y
# CONFIG_SOUND_GUS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MPU401 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_PSS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SSCAPE is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_TRIX is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MAD16 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_WAVEFRONT is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_CS4232 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_OPL3SA2 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MAUI is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SGALAXY is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_AD1816 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_OPL3SA1 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SOFTOSS is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_YM3812=y
CONFIG_SOUND_VMIDI=m
# CONFIG_SOUND_UART6850 is not set

#
# Additional low level sound drivers
#
CONFIG_LOWLEVEL_SOUND=y
# CONFIG_ACI_MIXER is not set
CONFIG_AWE32_SYNTH=y
# CONFIG_AEDSP16 is not set

#
# Kernel hacking
#
# CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ is not set

From: Thomas Kochak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Upgraded Processor
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 22:30:28 -0500

It doesn't need any special settings it will work just the same as an
intel processor

------------------------------

From: Martin Arla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: video capture board
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 14:42:38 -0300

I wanna know if there's any driver for a Miro DC30 Plus and what
programs for capture and edit can I use in X windows

From: "TURBO1010" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DIALD HELP FOR DUMMY
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 15:05:11 -0700

First step is to read the diald documentation, then get the daemon running.