Linux-Hardware Digest #62, Volume #11            Sat, 21 Aug 99 00:13:45 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux and Extertnal Modems ? ("Leon Miller")
  Re: SCSI Tekram DC-390F on linux 2.0.36 (or 2.2.11) (David J. MacKenzie)
  3com ISA cards and linux ("Kalkas")
  Re: 3com ISA cards and linux ("Caitanya")
  Re: HP8110i Now What! (Sir Esteban Patricio)
  Re: 3com ISA cards and linux (Toni Grass)
  Re: Linux and Adaptec 2940U2W (Gerben Welter)
  Re: Tape Drive Suggestions (Tandberg Data Technical Support)
  Hercules Terminator 128/3D ("Rvdeej")
  Re: Actiontec External Call Waiting Modem (Gus Palandri)
  Re: Laserjet Problem (Hugh McCurdy)
  Tape backup utilities: Banging my head agains the wall. (Shuo)
  Re: Need Help w/ Modem--"Sorry modem is busy" error ("Gazuza")
  Trying to compile Tulip.c latest version...getting errors... (Tom K)
  Re: OPL3-SA3 souncard won't play sound!!! (Sonny)
  Re: YAMAHA sound card problems - need help (Sonny)
  FDDI Cards (Brent Paddon)
  Re: AOpen SIS 6326 AGP (Ed Wilts)
  Re: NE2000 ISA help ("Ji-Haw, Foo")
  LS-120 Probs (Steffen Sobiech)
  Soundblaster live on RH6.0, 2.2.5-15 (Alan Arbizu)
  Re: Intel I740 8Mb Sgram AGP... (Geoff Wrightson)
  Re: HP8110i Now What! (Henry Chavez)
  Problem with an ATAPI CD-RW (Habibi4me)
  Re: Linux file-size limit? (Christopher Browne)
  Re: 3com ISA cards and linux (Kaz Kylheku)
  Re: Linux file-size limit? (Christopher Browne)
  Re: Linux file-size limit? (Leslie Mikesell)

From: "Leon Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux.dial-up
Subject: Re: Linux and Extertnal Modems ?
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 15:18:01 -0400

Yes it will

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David J. MacKenzie)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: SCSI Tekram DC-390F on linux 2.0.36 (or 2.2.11)
Date: 16 Aug 1999 22:06:21 -0400

Dorin-Ioan MARINCA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> What I must check on "make -xconfig" windows to create an linux kernel
> (2.0.36 or 2.2.10/11) which supports an SCSI controller Tekram DC-390F?

Probably use the NCR53C8XX driver.  I'm using it right now on 2.2.5
with the top-end Tekram 390 series controller, I forget the model #.

------------------------------

From: "Kalkas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
at.linux,aus.computers.linux,be.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: 3com ISA cards and linux
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 02:19:56 +0200

I have been seriously thinking to use Linux and stop using Windows 98. I am
fascinated by Linux's stability and security.

Therefore, I have seriously planing to install Linux and USE IT.

However, it seems that it is not possible for me to use Linux, since I use
cable modem with a 3com ISA card. More precisely, I use 3com EtherLink III
ISA (3C509/3C509b) network interface card, and there are no drivers which
will support my card in Linux.

Did someone else have similar problems?

Regards,
Kalkas

------------------------------

From: "Caitanya" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: 3com ISA cards and linux
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 10:59:14 +1000

I'm on cable as well the guys are great there and you can joing the bigpond
linux newsgroup, read the FAQ and you'll get up and running in not time at
all

=======================================

From: Sir Esteban Patricio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.apps.cdwrite,linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: HP8110i Now What!
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 16:08:39 -0400

On my Red Hat 6 system they become /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1.......

--
Sir Esteban Patricio
Contact Info at:  HTTP://ESTEBAN.FAITHWEB.COM

------------------------------

From: Toni Grass <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 00:46:51 GMT

Kalkas wrote:

> I have been seriously thinking to use Linux and stop using Windows 98. I am
> fascinated by Linux's stability and security.
>
> Therefore, I have seriously planing to install Linux and USE IT.
>
> However, it seems that it is not possible for me to use Linux, since I use
> cable modem with a 3com ISA card. More precisely, I use 3com EtherLink III
> ISA (3C509/3C509b) network interface card, and there are no drivers which
> will support my card in Linux.
>
> Did someone else have similar problems?

This card is definitely supported by Linux!! I used the same NIC
together with a cable modem. The only problem is plug&punish - you will
have to switch it off.

regards
        Toni

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gerben Welter)
Subject: Re: Linux and Adaptec 2940U2W
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 19:42:24 GMT

On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 20:19:10 +0200, "Carlo Leorini"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>hello,
>
>does someone use the adaptec 2940u2w card ?
>
>I can't install linux with this controler. I loop in the very beginning,
>while mounting the scsi cdrom (in scanning the scsi bus)

I think this problem was solved with the updated boot disks that
RedHat supplied later.

Grtz Gerben.

------------------------------

From: Tandberg Data Technical Support <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tape Drive Suggestions
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 00:30:55 GMT

We still manufacture tape drives that are capable of reading/writing to
DC6150/6250 data cartridges.  For more information, please refer to
www.tandberg.com or contact our Sales department at 800-TANDBERG.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Rvdeej" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hercules Terminator 128/3D
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 22:16:25 +0200

I have the above card and use SuSe Linux 6.1.
On the website they say this card is only supported by ACELLERATED-X ?
Where do i find this??
How do i use it??
Please mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

and...
Thanks for your interest.
LiNuX RuLeS

------------------------------

From: Gus Palandri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,redhat.general
Subject: Re: Actiontec External Call Waiting Modem
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 01:30:52 GMT

I have the Actiontec internal 56K PCI modem and it works great in Linux and
in Windows. I am really glad I bought it. There tech help is also real
good.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Hugh McCurdy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Laserjet Problem
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 20:56:33 +0000

Peter Pillmore wrote:

> Hope someone can help a Newbie. I've installed RH6.0 from a "cheap disk"and
> I'm gradually getting it up and running. So far I've got my TNT2 and SBLive
> working  I've even got it running Roadrunner!  My HP LJ III works but it
> prints 2 copies of everything! Have tried different drivers via the printer
> config tool but it still prints double.
>         On multiple page docs it prints 2 of p.1 then 2 of p.2 , etc. Has to
> be a setting in some obscure (to me at the moment) file. Please help!!
> Linux comes w/ tons of online docs but for a newbie it helps to print some
> of them out and I don't want to kill more trees than neccessary.

The printtool program has an option for printing multiple copies.
Be sure you have it set to 1 copy.

Also, some printers (such as Okidata OL410e) can be set to print
duplicates.
You may want to review your firmware settings on the printer.

E-mail me if you are still stuck.

--
Hugh McCurdy

------------------------------

From: Shuo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Tape backup utilities: Banging my head agains the wall.
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 21:42:12 -0400

Hi,
After banging my head against the wall for two weeks, our boot/root disk
is made.
Here comes head-banging time again:

The problem is that I cannot fit libc.so.6 on the disk (4 meg alone
itself). So the utilities
compiled against it (/sbin/restore, /sbin/dump) I cannot put them on the
disk.

Do you guys have the old restore and dump compiled against libc.so.5?
Thanks very much
for saving my from brain damage.

Shuo

------------------------------

From: "Gazuza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need Help w/ Modem--"Sorry modem is busy" error
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 16:48:53 +0100

And how you did that..?
Remove the lock i can do.
But setting comm2 to 0x2E8 instead of 0x2F8, how you do that?
Sorry I'm newbie...

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Tom K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trying to compile Tulip.c latest version...getting errors...
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 16:59:31 -0400

Total newbie question...perhaps...at least a question from a newbie...

I'm doing the SMP compile line as it is in the tail of tulip.c ( driver
for NIC card Cogent EM110 PCI ), and getting that smp.h has "implicitely
declared function", which actually it has when I looked, but I'm
assuming it's declared in one of the .h files at the top...I'm being a
bit lazy but I thought I might avoid a large headache if anyone else has
run into this problem trying to make tulip.o...maybe it's my version of
smp.h or something other include files that are out of whack.

Anyone have advice, been down this road?  I figure it's just the older
driver not telling the card to keep it 10baseT and not 100 which is my
problem...but I've got to update my kernel to see.

Also, if anyone has problems with the EM110 TX PCI cards loading without
errors but then not working, although visible and correct through
ifconfig et al, that's the real problem ( which, I hope, the .91 version
of tulip.o is going to fix )...

------------------------------

From: Sonny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: OPL3-SA3 souncard won't play sound!!!
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 21:02:18 GMT

Sean wrote:

> In my mixer app I set volume to the max and still I hear nothing.  I set
> the I/O ports to what they are set in windows and still nothing.

>                     http://www.searchlinux.com
Sean,
Have you looked at the documentation in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/OP3_SA2.  That's where I got my info.  I
think it's pretty good.  Aren't sound cards a pain?
Luck
Sonny

------------------------------

From: Sonny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: YAMAHA sound card problems - need help
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 21:10:52 GMT

Calin Rotaru wrote:

>         Thanks for the help guys. I'll try again this weekend, I pray for it to
> work. Sonny, seems you have a Yamaha card too. Can you please post your
> /etc/conf.modules and /dev/sndstat ?
>
>         Calin
Actually, my depmod doesn't work, so my conf.modules if of little
efficacy, never-the-less, here is some stuff that might be useful.

this is from my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:

/sbin/isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf

##load up the sound modules
insmod /lib/modules/2.2.11/misc/soundcore.o
insmod /lib/modules/2.2.11/misc/soundlow.o
insmod /lib/modules/2.2.11/misc/sound.o
insmod /lib/modules/2.2.11/misc/mpu401.o
insmod /lib/modules/2.2.11/misc/ad1848.o
insmod /lib/modules/2.2.11/misc/opl3sa2.o io=0x370 mss_io=0x530 \
mpu_io=0x330 irq=7 dma=0 dma2=1
insmod /lib/modules/2.2.11/misc/opl3.o io=0x388

this is my /etc/isapnp.conf file (the config parts):

(READPORT 0x0203)
(ISOLATE PRESERVE)
(IDENTIFY *)

# Card 1: (serial identifier 81 ff ff ff ff 20 00 a8 65)
# Vendor Id YMH0020, No Serial Number (-1), checksum 0x81.
# Version 1.0, Vendor version 0.0
# ANSI string -->OPL3-SA2 Sound Board<--
#
# Logical device id YMH0021
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be
changed if requ\
ired
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE YMH0020/-1 (LD 0

 (IO 0 (BASE 0x0000))
 (IO 1 (BASE 0x0530))
 (IO 4 (BASE 0x0370))
 (INT 0 (IRQ 7 (MODE +E)))
 (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 0))
 (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 1))
 (ACT Y)
))
(CONFIGURE YMH0020/-1 (LD 1
))

(WAITFORKEY)

This is the output from my /dev/sndstat

OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux foucalt.localdomain 2.2.11 #2 SMP Thu Aug 12 15:35:34 EDT
1999 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: MS Sound System (CS4231) (DUPLEX)

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL3

Midi devices:
0: MPU-401 0.0  Midi interface #1

Timers:
0: System clock
1: MS Sound System (CS4231)

Mixers:
0: OPL3-SA3 and AD1848 (through MSS)
1: MS Sound System (CS4231)

That's all the important stuff I can think of.  Good Luck.
Sonny

------------------------------

From: Brent Paddon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FDDI Cards
Date: 21 Aug 1999 07:26:47 +1000

Hi,

What FDDI cards does linux support?

Brent

--
----
Brent Paddon                    Managing Director

------------------------------

From: Ed Wilts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AOpen SIS 6326 AGP
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 02:32:23 GMT

Matthew & Angela wrote:

> I am new to linux and  have just installed rh linux for the first time. I am
> having trouble with setting up aopen sis 6326 agp in xfree86 if anyone could
> lend some advice I would be grateful.

Check out http://www.searchlinux.com.  You'll find many recent articles
on solutions to configuring the 6326-based cards.  My recent postings
have examples of the contents of the Device section of XF86Config.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts
Mounds View, MN, USA

------------------------------

From: "Ji-Haw, Foo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: NE2000 ISA help
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:21:23 +0200

Chances are your NE2000 card is a PnP, and some for reasons RH can't detect
it. Use the setup diskette that comes with the card to turn off PnP, then
use modprobe to detect the card again.

--

regards,

Foo Ji-Haw
Berkom

------------------------------

From: Steffen Sobiech <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LS-120 Probs
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 00:02:56 +0200

Hi!

My LS-120 parallel-port drive works basically fine with Linux,
but everytime the computer accesses it the system cpu usage goes to
100% and it nearly freezes up until the drive operation is completed.
I think the problem has something to do with the parallel-port driver
not working correctly, as it does not use the irq I assigned it.

------------------------------

From: Alan Arbizu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Soundblaster live on RH6.0, 2.2.5-15
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 15:30:32 -0700

Wondering if anyone out there has gotten the latest sblive betadrivers

emu10k-v0.3b to work under RedHat6.0 w/ 2.2.5-15 kernel

if not.. any advice for where to look?

carried out the steps listed in the README..
    set BIOS to PnP disabled,
    reconfigured the kernel for modular sound, (also modularized OSS),
no other soundboards enabled,

    ran the install script w/o any errors being reported
    rebuild the kernel, rebooted

    /dev/dsp, dsp1, audio, audio1, mixer all exist.. tried to run
WSoundPrefs for WM and it said the device file
    was misconfigured or non-existent.. ???

    maybe some good Samaritan has gone thru this as well and could give
me some advice/solutions to try.

--
Alan Arbizu
Hewlett-Packard

------------------------------

From: Geoff Wrightson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel I740 8Mb Sgram AGP...
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 08:53:41 +1000

There's a driver for i740 cards on the redhat web site ... it works fine
and fairly easy to set up.
    Geoff.

------------------------------

From: Henry Chavez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.apps.cdwrite,linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:43:19 GMT

James,
    Thanks, I was afraid of that.  I looked at the HOWTO from the Linux
Documentation Project and I really am concerned about following it.  It is not
specific enough to my system for me to feel comfortable to try.  I haven't
looked at the RH site to see if they have one that is closer to what I actually
have.  Anyway, all the talk of source code, headers and such really scares me.
I guess I'll just have to be careful.  Again, thanks.

From: Habibi4me <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Problem with an ATAPI CD-RW
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 23:47:50 -0400

I have an ACER-6206A CD-RW drive with SuSE-6.1 Linux distro.  Mounting
an iso9660 CD is a snap while the "cdrecord -scanbus" (cdrecord-1.6.1)
reports seeing the CD-RW.  Lately, I have upgraded the Linux kernel to
2.2.11 with gcc-2.95 and glibc-2.1.  After the upgrades,
I need two separate kernels to be able to mount an iso9660 CD and
perform a CD writing.  In other words, if I booted a kernel that support
the CD-RW so that I can mount an iso9660 CD, the "cdrecord -scanbus"
reports an error message (cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot
open SCSI driver.).  If I reboot with another set of Linux kernel that
works for the "cdrecord -scanbus", mounting an iso9660 process will fail
with an error message (/dev/hdc is not a block device).  I tried
different kernel configurations suggested by the CD Writing HOWTO (ed.
April 1999) to no avail.

I am wondering if anyone can shed some light helping me to configure the
Linux-2.2.11 kernel so that my CD-RW can be properly addressed.

TIA.

PS. Remove "4m" from e-mail address to enable reply.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Linux file-size limit?
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:50:48 GMT

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 13:33:43 +0200, Sascha Bohnenkamp
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>ext2, in particular, can support file sizes up to 1T, since files are
>>segmented.
>upto 16TB ... with huge inodes

Perhaps so.

>>b) You can't read all of it using standard C file manipulation
>>functions on 32 bit architectures because the "FILE *" structure only
>>allows addressing the first 2^31 bytes of the file.
>well with solaris or unixware your ARE able to do that on 32b mashines

But this is comp.os.linux.*, and Linux doesn't use an identical LIBC
to Solaris or UnixWare.
--
16-inch Rotary Debugger: A highly effective tool for locating problems
in computer software.  Available for delivery in most major metropolitan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kaz Kylheku)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 02:16:21 GMT

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 02:19:56 +0200, Kalkas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>However, it seems that it is not possible for me to use Linux, since I use
>cable modem with a 3com ISA card. More precisely, I use 3com EtherLink III
>ISA (3C509/3C509b) network interface card, and there are no drivers which
>will support my card in Linux.

Nonsense! This is a fairly old card that has been well supported for quite a
while. I have one in a 486 Linux box at work. Look for the file 3c509.o
in your drivers directory. If you don't have the compiled driver, then
configure your kernel and build the module.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:50:45 GMT

On 20 Aug 1999 11:23:29 -0500, Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <Ua2v3.15065$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>>AFAIK, this is an intrinsic limitation of the filesystem.
>>
>>Apparently what you *think* you know isn't correct.  The ext2
>>filesystem supports files of up to 1TB in size.
>
>But you can't do that on a pentium.
>
>>The standard file access API on 32 bit architectures is what can't
>>handle more than 2GB.
>
>The file access API on *Linux* 32 bit architectures is what can't
>handle more than 2GB.  The *bsd's have done it for years - there
>was a small amount of pain in the transition but it was mostly
>transparent to user programs.

Hmm.
  Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.hardware, comp.os.linux.misc.
  Subject: Linux file-size limit?

Discussion concerning ext2.

Not unreasonable to consider that the context was that of Linux,
rather than *BSD.

--
:FATAL ERROR -- ERROR IN USER
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 20 Aug 1999 11:23:29 -0500

In article <Ua2v3.15065$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:54:55 -0600, John Thompson
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>         1. Is there a limit to the file size hardcoded in the
>>>kernel?
>>
>>AFAIK, this is an intrinsic limitation of the filesystem.
>
>Apparently what you *think* you know isn't correct.  The ext2
>filesystem supports files of up to 1TB in size.

But you can't do that on a pentium.

>The standard file access API on 32 bit architectures is what can't
>handle more than 2GB.

The file access API on *Linux* 32 bit architectures is what can't
handle more than 2GB.  The *bsd's have done it for years - there
was a small amount of pain in the transition but it was mostly
transparent to user programs.

>>Rather than backing up to another partition, you can backup
>>to a device that does not use a filesystem; eg, a tape
>>drive.  Tar can handle multi-gigabyte archives on a tape
>>drive without size limitation problems beyond the physical
>>limitations of the media used.
>
>Have you tried this so as to verify the veracity of this claim?

I'm pretty sure I have written tapes longer than 2GB without
errors, although I am not sure I have ever had to read one
back all the way.

>The *true* problem is that the data structure used to hold the pointer
>that indicates how far into an input stream you are is only 32 bits.

Some unix versions used to choke when any stream went over 2GB, including
the serial ports or network connections.  I thought that was fixed
years ago and never applied to Linux.

>TAR doesn't get you around this problem...

Amanda uses a holding disk for backups on their way to tape and
gets around the size limit by writing the intermediate disk
copy in chunks that are appended back together on the way to
tape.

  Les Mikesell