  SCSI problems with CD-RW (Mircea)

From: "Kalkas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
at.linux,aus.computers.linux,be.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: 3com ISA cards and linux
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 17:50:05 +0200

Toni Grass <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Kalkas wrote:
> >
> > I have been seriously thinking to use Linux and stop using Windows 98. I
am
> > fascinated by Linux's stability and security.
> >
> > Therefore, I have seriously planing to install Linux and USE IT.
> >
> > However, it seems that it is not possible for me to use Linux, since I
use
> > cable modem with a 3com ISA card. More precisely, I use 3com EtherLink
III
> > ISA (3C509/3C509b) network interface card, and there are no drivers
which
> > will support my card in Linux.
> >
> > Did someone else have similar problems?
> >

> This card is definitely supported by Linux!! I used the same NIC
> together with a cable modem. The only problem is plug&punish - you will
> have to switch it off.
>
> regards
> Toni

Toni,

That was good news indeed:))

How shall I get those drivers? I have been at the 3com site, but they do not
mention Linux; I plan to phone them directly.

How did you get your drivers?

Regards,
Kalkas

------------------------------

From: "Kalkas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 18:23:10 +0200

> 3com 3c509 is almost the best ISA card to use in a simple linux
> machine :)
>
> I use 2 of them in router ... works just fine !

Thank you for your answer!

Then one of my worries are over:)

I also assume that Linux would support Creative Sound Blaster PCI 128 and
monitor MAG InnoVision DX15F. Am I correct in my assumption?

Yours Sincerely,
Kalkas

------------------------------

From: Ben De Rydt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 17:55:26 +0200

Kalkas wrote:

> Toni Grass <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > This card is definitely supported by Linux!! I used the same NIC
> > together with a cable modem. The only problem is plug&punish - you will
> > have to switch it off.
> >
> > regards
> > Toni
>
> Toni,
>
> That was good news indeed:))
>
> How shall I get those drivers? I have been at the 3com site, but they do not
> mention Linux; I plan to phone them directly.
>
> How did you get your drivers?

They're included in the standard kernel.

Greetings,
Ben.

------------------------------

From: "Kalkas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 17:53:12 +0200

Kalkas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Toni Grass <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Kalkas wrote:
> > >
> > > I have been seriously thinking to use Linux and stop using Windows 98.
> am
> > > fascinated by Linux's stability and security.
> > >
> > > Therefore, I have seriously planing to install Linux and USE IT.
> > >
> > > However, it seems that it is not possible for me to use Linux, since I
> use
> > > cable modem with a 3com ISA card. More precisely, I use 3com EtherLink
> III
> > > ISA (3C509/3C509b) network interface card, and there are no drivers
> which
> > > will support my card in Linux.
> > >
> > > Did someone else have similar problems?
> > >

> > This card is definitely supported by Linux!! I used the same NIC
> > together with a cable modem. The only problem is plug&punish - you will
> > have to switch it off.
> >
> > regards
> > Toni
>
> Toni,
>
> That was good news indeed:))
>
> How shall I get those drivers? I have been at the 3com site, but they do
not
> mention Linux; I plan to phone them directly.

OH so stupid of me. Now I understand! The Linux supports it. OK!

Thanks folks! :-)

Kalkas

------------------------------

From: "Kalkas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Does Linux support ...?
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 18:37:54 +0200

I plan to install and use Linux.

Before I do this, I will be sure whether Linux supports following things:

Audiocard Creative Sound Blaster PCI 128

Display adapter (Hercules Power Drive) Terminator 128/3D GLH

My monitor is MAG InnoVision DX15F.

I do not know how my CD-ROMs is detected by Linux. Could someone tell me
about this. Do I need some drivers for my CD-ROMs?

I have two CD-ROMs

One is Yamaha CRW 4260
The second is Pioneer DR-UP124X

Regards,
Kalkas

------------------------------

From: "J. David Eisenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI Kernel Panic
Date: 21 Aug 1999 16:27:36 GMT

I have been using a Sony CD-ROM writer successfully with Red
Hat 5.0; I upgraded to 6.0, and now I get the following
sequence when I boot (it's transcribed from the screen, since
I don't know how to save the text to a file during the boot
process):

aha152x: trying software interrupt, ok.
scsi0: Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 1.7$
scsi: 1 host.
   Vendor: SONY    Model: CD-R    CDU 926S  Rev: 1.1e
   Type: WORM                               ANSI SCSI Revision: 02
Detected scsi CDROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
lun=0,
aha152x no disconnected command for that lun
QUEUE STATUS:
issue_SC:
current_SC:
none
disconnected_SC:
0xc0f9fe00: target=4; lun=1; cmd=(Test Unit Ready 20 00 00 00 00
); residual-256; buffers=0; phase |disconnected|send_ident|; in other
(MESSAGE IN
); phaseend; next=0x00000000
waiting; SCSIEQ (); SCSISIG (MESSAGE IN); INTSTAT(lo); SSTAT (SELDI
PHASECHO R
EQINIT ); SSTAT (SELDI ); SXFRCTL0 (CH1 ); SIGNAL (B51I REQI );
SELID(90), SSTA
TZ (SEMPTY ); SFCNT (0); SCSICNT (0), OFFCNT(0), SSTATY (); DMACNTRL0
(16 BIT PIO
 READ ); DMASTAT (DFIFOEMP )
enabled interrupts (ENSELDI )
kernel panic; aha152x panic
In swapper task - not syncing

J. David Eisenberg
http://www.best.com/~nessus/

------------------------------

From: Marc Dumontier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: weird conflict b/w NIC and modem
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 13:10:34 -0400

This is my problem:
when i'm using my modem I can't 'modprobe' my NIC.
when i've got my NIC loaded, I can't use the modem.

both devices are trying to use irq3.

i've tried the following:
modprobe ne.o io=0x280 irq=x (where x was all the irq's isapnp told me i
can use)

it loads it up ok -but- when i conifure it, it does not work. ONLY on
irq3 can i interact with the network.

Is there a way to get the modem to use a different irq?
or actually any way to fix this problem?

the modem is a USR 28.8 internal.. I don't have the docs for jumpers or
anything
the NIC is a ACERLan 10/100BaseT  ISA

thanks in advance.
please send a cc of responses to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Hank Marquardt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need a SCSI Lesson Please
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 11:09:11 -0500

I picked up what I hope will be a great Linux box and separately acquired a
tape unit ... here's what I need.

Box
IBM PC300 Pentium Pro 200Mhz, 128MB RAM
Installed with a 2940UW SCSI Card and 2 Seagate ST32430 2.1GB drives.

Tape is an Exabyte EXB8200 8mm, problem is that the terminating resistors
are missing; meaning I've got 2 choices, order the resistors from Exabyte or
not have the tape drive be the last in the chain.

So the question is; assuming the the SCSI chain between the 2HDDs is
terminated, can I sandwich the tape drive in between them without there
being a performance hit?  Is this advisable?

Since all the hardware (less the tape drive) is functioning now under W98,
I'm going to do the Linux install first and get a functioning server and
then install the tape unit so that I know when I break something.

Any thoughts?

Hank Marquardt

From: "Kalkas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 18:18:24 +0200

Ronald Benedik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Kalkas wrote:
> >
> > I have been seriously thinking to use Linux and stop using Windows 98. I
am
> > fascinated by Linux's stability and security.
> >
> > Therefore, I have seriously planing to install Linux and USE IT.
> >
> > However, it seems that it is not possible for me to use Linux, since I
use
> > cable modem with a 3com ISA card. More precisely, I use 3com EtherLink
III
> > ISA (3C509/3C509b) network interface card, and there are no drivers
which
> > will support my card in Linux.
> >
> > Did someone else have similar problems?
>
> > Regards,
> > Kalkas
>
> I'm using a 3c509b COMBO (PnP/ISA). It definately does work. There may
> be a problem with
> the 3c509 (not the b version) in dropping ip packets becaus of its tiny
> (4kb)
> buffer. This problem was solved in version b (8kb buffer). My Problem
> was one of dual
> boot configuration. Win95 puts the card in PnP mode and Linux doesn't
> like that.
> So my shutdown script for windoof puts the card back in non PnP mode and
> the card uses
> the same irq in linux and windoof, now everything works fine.
>
> for linux drivers check:
>
> http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/3c509.html

Ronald,

Thank you for your answer.

I am studying the material (some manuals and HOWTO). I have not yet
installed Linux, since I do not dare to install it alone. I have a friend
who will help me with the installation.

Sincerely Yours,
Kalkas

------------------------------

From: Josef Maltan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundblaster live on RH6.0, 2.2.5-15
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 19:41:28 +0200

Alan Arbizu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-snip-
>    rebuild the kernel, rebooted=20

-snip-

why did you rebuild the kernel after installing the emu10k driver ????
greets, Mike

--=20
I have a dream...and it will be a nightmare for ?indows,
LINUX for a free generation ;-)
http://home.knUUt.de/Josef_Maltan/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Douglas Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Taper can't see my IOMega 400M
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 13:16:38 -0400

mikes at [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> I'm running RedHat 6.0, kernel 2.2.5 on a my SMB server. I have recently
> added an IOMega 400M tape drive. I connected the tape drive according to
> IOMega's instructions: floppy drive on the end of the cable, tape drive on
> the secondary connector. The computer's BIOS has only one of possible two
> floppies enabled for 1.44 3 1/2 floppy (aka /dev/fd0 on the SMB server). The
> IOMega tape drive has it's jumper set to the default setting, which worked
> fine for my Win95 machine (where I pulled the tape drive from). I have tried
> to enable taper with the following command lines:

It doesn't sound like you have Ftape working correctly.  The Ftape
drivers are responsible for making your floppy tape drive "look"
like a normal SCSI tape drive so all the normal linux backup
utilities will work.

A few weeks ago, I posted several articles on how to get ftape
working in RH6.0.  After you get the simple tape utilities working
that I describe, using taper will be a snap.

Look at this web page and search for "ftape and red hat" and my
articles should be found under "Ftape and Red Hat 6.0 Info".

http://www.searchlinux.com/

Beware that the taper program included with RH6.0 doesn't work very
well.  Try downloading taper 6.9a, which has worked fine for me,
from the taper homepage:

http://www.omen.net.au/~yusuf/

Good luck, and tell us how things turn out.

--
Douglas Bollinger
Mt. Holly Springs, PA   17065

My other computer runs Linux.

------------------------------

From: "Kalkas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 18:12:26 +0200

Stephen R. Savitzky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Kalkas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > However, it seems that it is not possible for me to use Linux, since I
use
> > cable modem with a 3com ISA card. More precisely, I use 3com EtherLink
III
> > ISA (3C509/3C509b) network interface card, and there are no drivers
which
> > will support my card in Linux.
>
> Excuse me?  I've been using 3C509's of all sorts with Linux for years.
> The driver most definitely exists, it's in the module
>
>   /lib/modules/preferred/net/3c509.o
>
> source in
>
>   /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/3c509.c

Thanks Steve!

That was good news indeed!

I also assume now that Linux should support my monitor and my audio card. My
audio card is Creative Sound Blaster PCI 128, and my monitor is MAG
InnoVision DX15F. Am I correct in my assumption?

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely Yours,
Aleksandar

------------------------------

From: "Tony Platt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SMP problems on HP LC3 with Linux RedHat 6.0
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 03:44:07 +1000

Are there any DIFFERENT settings in the bios for the SMP mode ???

ie on Compaq's they have several settings

NT, Novell, Unixware etc

if there is try a different one, maybe something close to linux....a unix
variant

Tony Platt

------------------------------

From: "Phil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: weird conflict b/w NIC and modem
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 11:30:59 -0700

USR 28.8 Sportster - lay the card flat with the phone jacks to the upper
right and there are two sets of jumpers on the bottom right.

          COM               IRQ
         XXXX              X X X X X
         1 2 3 4             2 3 4 5  7

DIP SWITCHES

Defaults
1    off        Normal DTR operation - computer must provide DTR - drop DTR
= hang up

2    off        Text result codes

3    on        Enable result codes

4    off        Echo keyboard commands

5    on        Disable auto-answer

6    off        Modem sends CD at connect 0- drops CD at disconnect

7    off        Load Y or Y1 config on power up

8    on        Enable AT command recognition

Hope this helps,

Phil

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI problems with CD-RW
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 13:20:12 -0400

Hello-

I have a SCSI Ricoh-MP7040S rewritable, which gives me some trouble
every once in a while. It's attached to a Advansys ABP940U controller,
at id=4. The only other device I have connected to this SCSI chain is an
internal zip drive, at id=1, terminated (the adapter is also
terminated).

I have no problem writing CDs on it, but sometimes when I mount cdroms
as /dev/sr0, I cannot unmount them afterwards, and get the message
"device busy". Another weird thing is, if I use 'cdrecord -scanbus' when
this happens, the output looks like this:

Cdrecord release 1.8a24 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
scsibus0:
                  0) *
                  1) 'IOMEGA  ' 'ZIP 100         ' 'J.03' Removable Disk
                  2) *
                  3) *
                  4) 'IOMEGA  ' 'ZIP 100         ' 'J.03' Removable Disk
                  5) *
                  6) *
                  7) *

In other words, device 4 is now seen as another zip drive. It happens
really seldom, but when it occurs, it's a real annoyance.

I guess if I could reset the scsi bus somehow, all would fall into place
again, but I couldn't find a way to do it without rebooting. I tried the
scsistop utility, but it didn't get me anywhere (I get 'unable to open
device').

I run Slackware 4.0, kernel 2.2.6. If someone can help me, thanks in
advance. (PS: I did a search on this topic at deja.com, but didn't find
anything useful)

Mircea
stamasd at excite dot com