Linux-Hardware Digest #74, Volume #11            Sun, 22 Aug 99 20:13:27 EDT

Contents:
  Re: SB Pro and MP3's (Naito)
  Diamond SupraExpress modem - slow connect speeds? ("Charlie Howell")
  Any experience with Sony SDT9000 DDS-3 DAT drive? (Mike Smith)
  problems with ATA/66 controller from promise ("Michel Snippert")
  Re: RH 6.0 and SIS 620 ("ColumVine")
  Re: Dual Celeron ("tycho")
  Cyberstream DVB and Linux driver ("HILGES Dirk")
  Best videocard (Angelo Gerard Genovese)
  Re: IBM 6091/019 Monitor @ 1280x1024x16bpp ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Questions about modem setup and new software install? (Jack)
  Re: SCSI Tekram DC-390F on linux 2.0.36 (or 2.2.11) (Michael Meissner)
  Re: HP7200e (parallel port) ("zerocool")
  problem with installation of Serial ports ("Mahim Sharma")
  accessing linux partitions from windoze ("Dave Aspinall")
  Re: Avoid ATI Graphics like the plague (Ron Gibson)
  Re: Tekram u2w under caldera's 2.2 (Ed Blackman)
  Re: Modem problem - USR 56K Voice Win modem (Roger)
  Netgear FA310TX (Robert McGwier)
  Re: HP 7200e ("zerocool")
  ess 1869 Sound (Perry Mobley)

From: Naito <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SB Pro and MP3's
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 19:30:54 GMT

slag_pile wrote:

> I have just got my _old_ original Soundblaster Pro
> working on my Suse 6.1 system using OSS. When I
> tried to play MP3 on the card (using xmms/X11amp),
> there was alot of popping and generally poor
> playback.  I tried switching the IRQ in case there
> was an I/O confilct, to no avail.
>
> My question is Is the original Soundblaster Pro
> capable of playing MP3's at an acceptable speed?
> Or is it a problem with the drivers?
>

> Thanks alot

The speed of your soundcard shouldn't matter when playing MP3s.  But the
SBPro won't be able to play MP3s at full quality because MP3s are 16bit
44kHz stereo files while the SBPro's maximum quality output is only 8bit
22kHz stereo, or 8bit 44kHz mono I believe.  So when playing MP3s, make
sure you set your decoder to only output at one of those two settings.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Charlie Howell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond SupraExpress modem - slow connect speeds?
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 14:55:15 -0500

Hi,

I'm using OpenLinux 2.2.  To get my modem to work, I set the jumpers to
non-PnP and selected COM2, then selected the Hayes Compatible option in
lisa.  The modem works, but my connect speeds are only about 38k.  I
routinely get 50k from Win98.

Is there any way to speed this up?  Drivers?

Diamond SupraExpress v90 ISA
w/Speakerphone

Charlie

From: Mike Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Any experience with Sony SDT9000 DDS-3 DAT drive?
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 11:58:45 -0700

==============1DAD40FB20FA0702612478CC

Considering purchasing an SDT9000 DDS-3 tape unit.
does anyone have any experience with getting an
Sony SDT9000 DDS-3 DAT drive to work with linux
kernel 2.2.5-15?
I realize that I will need to build a kernel that
supports modules and then include support for the
scsi tape module but wanted to know if anyone had
any experience with this particular type of tape
unit. What were your experiences with this tape unit?
Did it work with your linux os? Did you need to
do anything special to get it to work? Does the
standard st module work with this tape unit?
Thanks.

Mike Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
==============1DAD40FB20FA0702612478CC

begin:          vcard
fn:             Mike Smith
n:              Smith;Mike
org:            Network Appliance
adr:            2770 San Tomas Expressway;;;Santa Clara;CA;95051;USA
email;internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:          Technical Support Engineer
tel;work:       408-367-3988
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

From: "Michel Snippert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problems with ATA/66 controller from promise
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 21:20:15 +0200

I'm haeving a problem with my controller. It's not recognized by Linux.
This means I can't access my harddisks. I don't know if there already is a
solution for my problem, but if there is I would be very glad to know.

Greetings,

Michel (from the Netherlands)

------------------------------

From: "ColumVine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: RH 6.0 and SIS 620
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 13:18:23 -0700

Never mind, I forgot to put the new XF86_SVGA in the right place, after I
did  that, my sis 530 worked.

news:7pp5kl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "tycho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual Celeron
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 20:23:15 GMT

I recommend that you buy from a vendor that will pretest for you--there are
many out there that will, and those chips that won't oc to 550 they use in
non-oc'ed systems.  Use a reputable vendor if you are not familiar with
them.  On the web I know that www.gamepc.com sells tested chips. They are an
excellent vendor.

From: "HILGES Dirk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Cyberstream DVB and Linux driver
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 22:40:01 +0200

Hi,

does ne1 know where i may find a driver for the Cyberstream DVB cyrd and
Linux !?
Cyberstream = Harmonicdata

Thx!
Dirk

------------------------------

From: Angelo Gerard Genovese <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Best videocard
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 03:04:59 -0400

I'm looking for a well supported vidcard for my linux box.

16 or 32 MB of ram
<= $200 (Cdn)

any suggestions

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: IBM 6091/019 Monitor @ 1280x1024x16bpp
Date: 22 Aug 1999 20:51:14 GMT

Mark Ricketts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Thanks for sending me the info on the monitor it is really helpful.  I'm
: achieving 1280x1024 @ 24 bpp now thanks to you.  One more question if you
: don't mind, I'm having a problem when returning to character mode.  After
: leaving X, I get a totally blank screen.  It seems that X windows does not
: know how to (or I'm not telling it how to ) correctly return to character
: mode.  Did you have this problem?  If so how did you solve it?

I assume you have a gfx-card, where it's bios can start
in a different mode than the usual 31.5KHz, so that you
even can see the Bios-boot-messages with the fixed-freq-monitor?

Such cards a not found very often ...

> It seems that X windows does not
> know how to (or I'm not telling it how to ) correctly return to character
> mode.

Yes, i would say that, too. Maybe due to your special card:
The X-Server thinks that the card in standard textmode (31.5KHz).

> Did you have this problem?

I had the Problem, that without any modifications, you
can't see anything until X comes up since a standard
gfx-cards always boots with 31.5 KHz horizontal frequency.
I installed SVGATextMode, that allows you to use
some kind of Modelines in textmode so that you can
see boot-messages just after the filesystem was mounted.
Also, switching between X and textmode is all right, then.
Only minor Problem: the gfx-card was only able to
produce 45 MHz pixelclock in textmode. that leaded to
the unusual resolution of 64x48 charakter, but you
may thy the 80x48 mode (look below).

> If so how did you solve it.

Install SVGATextMode, ensure that it will be started somewhere
in /etc/rc.d and add the following lines to /etc/TextConfig:

"IBM1"  45 480 515 575 636 768 787 790 816 -Hsync -Vsync font 8x16
"IBM2"  60 640 680 760 848 768 787 790 816 -Hsync -Vsync font 8x16

(IBM1 is 64x48@87Hz, IBM2 is 80x48@87Hz)

hope that helps

Bernhard

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jack)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Questions about modem setup and new software install?
Date: 22 Aug 1999 15:11:57 GMT

Hi,
Thank you for your help. how to know a modem is winmodem?

Jack

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (TC) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>That modem is a winmodem...it will not work in Linux
>TC
>
>Jack Liu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Hi,
>> I use Linux Redhat 6.0 not long, I have two questions about it, hope
>> you can help me, thanks!
>> 1. I use Rockwell 56K PCI internal modem, the linux don't know this
>> modem, how to setup it that I can connect to Internet using ppp.
>> 2. Can I select the directory where the new software to be installed
>> using rpm type?
>> Thank you very much!
>>
>> Jack

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: SCSI Tekram DC-390F on linux 2.0.36 (or 2.2.11)
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 22 Aug 1999 17:17:41 -0400

Dorin-Ioan MARINCA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi!
>
> What I must check on "make -xconfig" windows to create an linux kernel
> (2.0.36 or 2.2.10/11) which supports an SCSI controller Tekram DC-390F?

On my 2.2.10 system, I have:

CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX=y
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_DEFAULT_TAGS=8
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_MAX_TAGS=32
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_SYNC=20
# CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_PROFILE is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_IOMAPPED is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_PQS_PDS is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_SYMBIOS_COMPAT is not set

On earlier systems, the SYM53C8XX question won't be asked and probably some
others.

> and
>
> can anyone give me some hints (links to docs/HOWTOs/keywords) on how to
> make an soft RAID 0/5 on some disks connected to above card? ...

Note, the raid tools shipped with RedHat 6.0 aren't compatible with the raid
support in generic 2.2.x (RedHat uses a patch to go to a newer revision of the
raid support, but its incompatible with the old raid support).

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886

------------------------------

From: "zerocool" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP7200e (parallel port)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 21:37:44 GMT

Grant Guenther <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:32:22 +0200, David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >What do i have to do to burn CD's with a HP7200e (parallel port)?
>
> Start at http://www.torque.net/parport/cdr.html

he could also just crack open the external housing, and low and behold an
ATAPI internal drive that DOES work easily with linux :)  I did that on my
7100 :)  It's still in there, and is happy as a clam :)

------------------------------

From: "Mahim Sharma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem with installation of Serial ports
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 18:13:06 -0400

I dont seem to get interrupts for my serial port in /proc/interupts file.

------------------------------

From: "Dave Aspinall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: accessing linux partitions from windoze
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 22:50:30 +0100

Can anyone tell me how to access a linux partition from win98?
Cheers

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ron Gibson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Avoid ATI Graphics like the plague
Date: 22 Aug 1999 21:54:43 GMT

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999 17:41:15, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> |Same here...XPert98 AGP/8 meg with no problems except I have to use
> |GRADD driers in OS/2.        For $49 I paid I'm very happy.  It was a
> |temporary deal as I wanted to go Matrox but had to hold costs down on
> |the new system I had built.  But now I'm in no real hurry to upgrade.  I
> |put a CDRW higher on the priority list.

> For your OS/2 support, you might want to look at SciTech Display Doctor.
> You can download the latest beta from their website for free to give

I checked that out but IBM just also released a new version of GRADD a
few days ago.  I like the SciTech driver but at this point I don't think
the difference is worth laying out money for.  Now a few versions later
and it might be different.

BTW, we may be speaking IBM and Linux in the same breath soon as I just
got email that IBM will be working with the RedHat people and adding a
Linux applications development division.

                      email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Blackman)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: Tekram u2w under caldera's 2.2
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 15:21:32 -0400

"areia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm new with linux and I'd like to know if Tekram DC390 U2W is supported or
>if I have to do something; another thing is my scsi cd reader and writer,
>can't find them. Can you give me some tips.
>Thks.

Although the Linux driver isn't listed on Tekram's web page, they have
one on their FTP site.  See ftp://ftp.tekram.com/SCSI/390X/Linux/

Ed

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:31:42 +0100
From: Roger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: Modem problem - USR 56K Voice Win modem

Dale Sutcliffe wrote:

> Using Caldera Open Linux 2.2, I used LISA to set up the modem (although USRobotics
>was not a listed modem brand).
>
> Then used KPPP to configure modem /ttys1 on port 2 and finally clicked on the
>"Querry Modem" button and received the following error:
> "Sorry, the modem is busy"

If it *really* is a winmodem, the cure is a new modem, I'm afraid.  Like
GDI printers, there just isn't any way they will work outside Windoze.
--
Roger

Web: http://freespace.virgin.net/roger.cantwell
ICQ: 40038278
*** Please remove "james" from the reply address ***

------------------------------

From: Robert McGwier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.dev.net
Subject: Netgear FA310TX
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:05:55 GMT

Is there a driver for FA310TX (10/100 PCI card) in existence or development?

------------------------------

From: "zerocool" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: HP 7200e
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 22:21:12 GMT

> It's connected, turned on. BIOS is EPP. Worked with NT. Don't konw
> what's up. Anyone have this working and want to share the kernel version
> and setup?
>
> Thanks

If you aren't too worried about your warrenty, you can crack open the case
on that thing, and inside you'll find an internal ATAPI drive that you can
just plug into one of your ide channels :)   I did that with my 7100, and
the performance boost makes it worth it :)

Just a thought :)

From: Perry Mobley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ess 1869 Sound
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:57:18 +0000

Does anyone know if the ess 1869 sound card will work in mandrake/redhat
6.0? I have the card and sndconfig sees it but I do not see it listed in
the chipsets. Is it by another name? Thanks Perry