Linux-Hardware Digest #81, Volume #11            Mon, 23 Aug 99 15:13:48 EDT

Contents:
  Jaz Jet SCSI, 2Gb Jaz internal, RH 6.0 doesn't see. (Gary Trachier)
  Re: Need Sound Card Driver (Michael Treacy)
  Re: PCI modem supported by linux ? (Leonard)
  Re: Need Help w/ Modem--"Sorry modem is busy" error (Leonard)
  SCSI error means what??? (W.B.Hill)
  Re: Abit BP6 Dual Celeron (Bryan)
  Abit BP6 Dual Celeron (Bryan H Kim)
  Re: Boot hangs on initializing Sendmail (Walter Francis)
  Re: Linux on AMD K6-2/400? ("Lee Sharp")
  Re: Wall Paper For RH6.0 (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: Spontaneous rebooting of LINUX Red Hat 5.2 and 6.0. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Redhat 6 Installion with PCMCIA ("Ben")
  Re: Netgear FA310TX (Dave Platt)
  Re: SB Pro and MP3's (Tomas Bystrom)
  Failed to format IOMEGA zip ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Failed to format IOMEGA zip (Mike Gruber)
  VESA ("Lukasz Trybulec")
  Dual Celeron 366 vs PIII 450 (Dik Kin Wong)
  Printers Support ("trevor")
  Re: HardWare List? (LhD Administrator)
  internal modems anyone? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gary Trachier)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Jaz Jet SCSI, 2Gb Jaz internal, RH 6.0 doesn't see.
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:40:18 -0400

Hi All,

I recently bought new hardware for a Linux system.  I installed RH 6.0,
have kernel 2.2.5-15 running.  I can't get the system to recognize the Jaz
Jet SCSI interface, and certainly not the Jaz drive.

>From the tid-bits that I have found, it appears that I need to have the
kernel module advansys.  lsmod says that it is in the kernel.  The system
reports finding 0 SCSI devices on boot-up.  I found a Jaz drive Mini
How-To, but it starts at the point of having a working SCSI interface
(which I don't yet have).

Can someone please help get me started down the right road?

I have searched How-To's, etc, but can't find the answers.  Thanks very
much for your help.

-Gary

--
Gary Trachier / U. S. Army Cold Regions Research & Engineering Laboratory
Telephone:    voice (603) 646-4303  fax (603) 646-4720

------------------------------

From: Michael Treacy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need Sound Card Driver
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 18:12:57 +0100

Dave,

Try for the OSS sound thingy. It seems to work for all sound cards - well, most of
them, at least!

I installed it, and it picked up my card (ess 1869) and configured itselfg without
any need to start re-compiling the kernel, etc.

Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leonard)
Subject: Re: PCI modem supported by linux ?
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 17:37:53 GMT

Ref: PCI modem that works on LINUX:

Check out the Actiontec "Call Waiting" modem,
at Circuit City and other places $99 or less.
It works..been using one for about 2 weeks!
Works also in Win95-98...

See:  http://www.actiontec.com
_______________________________________

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 20:44:58 +0800, "Siu Pak"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

PCI modems for Linux?
:

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leonard)
Subject: Re: Need Help w/ Modem--"Sorry modem is busy" error
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 17:33:22 GMT

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 16:48:53 +0100, "Galena"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:And how you did that..?
:Remove the lock i can do.
:But setting comm2 to 0x2E8 instead of 0x2F8, how you do that?
:Sorry I'm newbie...
:
:
Do a setserial command...

The format is something like this:

setserial /dev/ttySx uart 16550A port 0xe400 irq 11

Substitute your numbers where x is...example: 3 means comm 4
  2 means comm 3, etc.

Substitute your address where you see 0xe400 and change the
irq to whatever yours is.

Do the command in "root"...

Leonard..

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (W.B.Hill)
Subject: SCSI error means what???
Date: 23 Aug 1999 17:36:58 GMT

Hi.
    My system has started hanging, about once a week, with the error:

scsi: aborting command due to timeout : pid 107174, scsi0, channel 0,
id 2, lun 0 Read (6) 06 68 ac 08 00
ncr53c8xx_abort: pid=107174 serial_number_at_timeout=107188

Well, that's referring to my harddrive (not the zip). Seems to be a read
timeout, but any ideas what's causing it? This has happened under 2
flavours of Linux (SuSE and Debian). Any ideas what I can do to cure it?
Another driver? Somewhere cooler?
echo "something magical" > /proc/scsi/scsi??
New card? New disk???
Any suggestions, thanks.

===============\==========================\================================
W.B.Hill        \  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    \
492 Earlham Road \  Home: (+44) 1603 455069 \    "Nothing is idiot-proof
Norwich  NR4 7HP. \  Fax: 0870 054 7508      \    given the right idiot"
United Kingdom     \  Mobile: 0410 781584     \
(+44) 1603 255141   \  Web: http://wbh.org     \ #include <stdisclaimer.h>
=====================\==========================\==========================
PGP-Fingerprint:    B3 6F 2E D6 - B6 48 F1 FB -*- 7C AA 28 0C - 96 61 9A B5

------------------------------

From: Bryan <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Abit BP6 Dual Celeron
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 17:46:49 GMT

there isn't a stepping for celerons.

Bryan H Kim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I am interested in building yet another dual CPU box to add to my
: cluster of dual CPU linux machines. The two I have are pentium pro and
: pentium II machines. Both CPUs needed to be stepping matched. I couldn't
: find any information about stepping on the Abit site.

: Is there a stepping requirement for the abit motherboard? The PDF manual
: I downloaded didn't seem to say anything about it.

--
Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

------------------------------

From: Walter Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Boot hangs on initializing Sendmail
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:24:53 -0400

Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

> Ian R Cornett wrote:
> > I was trying to reconfigure my PPP connection and I had to reboot for
> > one reason or other and whammo  I can't get past it initializing my
> > Sendmail Service.
>
> When sendmail hangs for a long time during boot it is often because
> there is something wrong in /etc/hosts. It is probably unable to
> determine its own hostname.

I've been having this same trouble, after I tinkered with the sendmail
configuration within Linuxconf..  ugh..

Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't..  I have a dynamic IP,
and a dynamically assigned domain name, but I would like to refer to my
machine as my domain name, wally.yi.org.  Here is my /etc/hosts, see if
it's wrong..

127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost
127.0.0.1       wally.yi.org    wally
#0.0.0.0                linux.wally.yi.org      linux
192.168.0.2     amiga.wally.yi.org      amiga
192.168.0.3     linux.wally.yi.org      linux

I've been tinkering with it a lot, so it's probably pretty bad..  I
suspect I should put linux after wally on the second line, to say linux
is an alias for wally.yi.org.  Of course, the 192.* addresses are for a
local network between two computers.  Of course, when I'm connected
wally.yi.org refers to my current IP.

I just want the machine named wally.yi.org, localhost to refer to the
local host (it didn't for a while :(, and sendmail to work right.

I had it really bunged for a few hours, sendmail, httpd, and X wouldn't
start, all hostname problems.  It reboots fine, but if I cycle init
1/init 5 it takes forever for sendmail to restart for some reason.

--
Walter Francis
http://wally.hplx.net                      Powered by RedHat 6.0

------------------------------

From: "Lee Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,cs.amd,cx686.amdk6.and.others
Subject: Re: Linux on AMD K6-2/400?
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:46:55 -0500

K. Eggleston wrote in message ...

|Out of desperation for more speed for M$ NT 4.0, I went to my local
|bargain geek-shop and bought a Gigabyte motherboard along with AMD K6-
|2/400 chip.  This is the first time I've bought a non-Intel MB, but
|everyone told me I'd have no probs.

  I have done the same <With different motherboards, but many different
motherboards> and it has worked well.

|But, I must get BSOD's in NT at least once a day.  And it's stuff that
|specifically mentions the processor.. One of its favorites is complaining
|something about AMD EXCEPTION IRQ1 is LESS_OR_EQUAL .. Not quite sure
|exactly what it means, but it happens all the time.  Other bizarre
|behavior as well.. StarCraft doesn't want to run smoothly, for some
|reason.. Can't figure out if its the vid card to blame on this one, tho
|(Voodoo3/2000)..

   This is not normal.  The first thing I would do, is re-apply the service
packs, and any patches from AMD or Gigabyte.  I would run a chkdsk on the
hard drive if it continued.  Check the temperature.  Does it seem unusually
hot in the case?  If all else fails, wipe out and reinstall NT.  Apply all
of the patches from AMD and Gigabyte that may apply.  Still fails?  Try a
different motherboard.

|Anyway, these BSOD's are going to really get on my nerves. I canst stands
|no flakey system!

   I don't blame you!  You shouldn't have to.

|I bought this AMD chip because so many people swore that it was a good
|bet.  The Gigabyte MB, I was also told, was a great MB..  Trying to make
|my anti-monopoly statement and save a few bucks at the same time.  I
|guess I got what I paid for!

   Everyone has a bad run on occasions,  even Intel. :-)  This also may be a
bad hard drive, or just a bad install...  Don't throw out the baby with the
bathwater.

            Lee

--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. * Black

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.general
Subject: Re: Wall Paper For RH6.0
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 20:45:08 +0200

Davis Eric wrote:
> I have some JPEG files, can I make them wallpapers for my RH6.0?

I'm not familiar with RedHat, but I suppose that xv is included? If so
you could type something like this:

xv -root -quit image.jpg

If you don't have xv you might have som other program like xloadimage.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Spontaneous rebooting of LINUX Red Hat 5.2 and 6.0.
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 16:19:26 GMT

It doesn't sound like a LINUX issue my friend.  It sounds like you may
be having hardware problems.  The spontaneous reboot at different times
could suggest sudden loss of power (like from a loose connection).  I
have had this happen before and would suggest checking the following:

1.  Your motherboard may not be properly connected to your power supply.
Check your connection.  Also, the particular M/B model number you gave
doesn't seem to exist.  I checked the website and can't find any info on
the M/B number you gave.

2.  Your power supply may be bad.  What's the rating on your power
supply?  For a pentium II, you don't want anything under 235 Watts.

3.  Do you have the CPU voltage set correctly?  A common problem is that
the CPU voltage is set too low.  In which case, when the CPU gets too
little power, it can freeze or reset.  all of which is bad.  A pentium
II 400 should be set to 2.0V.

4.  Improper grounding.  I had a friend who couldn't figure out why his
board keeps rebooting when he bumps the case even the slightest bit.
then he found out that he had a loose screw which keeps touching the
reset pins and shorting the two pins causing the machine to reboot.  I
also had someone who didn't use any screws to mount his motherboard, but
instead used those plastic thingys.  your motherboard needs to be
screwed down so it can have proper grounding.

5.  If all else fails, take the hardware apart and reassemble
everything.

Like I said, I really doubt that Linux would cause sudden reboots.  I've
been running Linux for quite some time now, and it's never rebooted on
it's own.

Good Luck.

4.
In article <7ppe13$l0l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Lechosław  Ładno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Lechoslaw Ladno
> Poland Warsaw
> e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Hi.
> Sorry for my English. I know that it is very bad , but I am beginner
in
> LINUX and I have the problem I can not solve. I think that only Your
Group
> can help me to do it.
> I tried to install LINUX RED HAT 5.2 and 6.0 on my computer. Every
time I
> met the same difficulties. I had to do installation several times
because my
> computer spontaneously rebooted during it ( in various moments,
without any
> rules and error messages). At last I installed that system
successfully.
> Unfortunately I still can not work under it. During the work under
LINUX  my

From: "Ben" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat 6 Installion with PCMCIA
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:39:16 -0400

Trying to install Redhat 6 into a Dell Latitude XPI laptop with New Media
pcmcia scsi card which is connected to CDROM.  (Thats what I want to install
from.)  Boot floppy works fine.  Then program asks if I want  PCMCIA support
to install.  I say yes.  Asks for PCMCIA disc.  I made one from img file as
instructed and that works fine and the laptop recognizes the pcmcia card.
Beep when card goes in.  Beep when card goes out.  Then it says install from
CDRom? I say yes, but computer can't find CDROM player connected to pcmcia
adapter.  So I am stuck at that point.  Help!!

Jim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Platt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.dev.net
Subject: Re: Netgear FA310TX
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 18:25:06 GMT

>>Is there a driver for FA310TX (10/100 PCI card) in existence or
>development?
>
>Robert,
>The Netgear FA310TX uses the DEC 21143 chip...which uses the 'Tulip' series
>of ethernet drivers.  Just about every Linux distribution has the 'Tulip'
>driver...but it is constantly being updated...so you may want to find the
>latest.

I've seen at least two different versions of the FA310TX.

The original version used the DEC 21140 chip.  I've bought, and used,
a bunch of these over the years, with very good results.  The
"tulip.c" driver in the kernel works well, although you may want to
update to the latest version.

Starting about a year ago, Netgear switched over to an FA310TX design
which uses an OEM'ed Lite-On PNIC chip with a Netgear part number.
Although the PNIC is supposed to be Tulip-compatible, and it _mostly_
works with the Tulip driver, there are some definite problems.

The biggest problem of which I'm aware, appears to be due to a bug in
some versions of the PNIC chip.  Under conditions of heavy load - and
especially if collisions are occurring - the chip's receiver logic
gets confused, and dumps a whole bunch of gibberish into memory.  The
Tulip driver does not deal gracefully with this situation, and tends
to cease receiving anything at all from the card.  It's necessary to
restart the card (ifconfig down, ifconfig up, reestablish routes) to
get it working again.

I've also read reports of the PNIC-based FA310TX failing to receive
ARP responses immediately after transmitting an ARP.  Looks like a
race condition of some sort.

I cannot recommend buying the PNIC-based version of the FA310TX due to
these problems, and to Netgear's failure to respond adequately to
reports of these problems.

If Netgear has switched their production to the 21143, that would be a
Good Think (in my opinion) and I'd love to see and test one of these
cards.

--
Dave Platt                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Visit the Jade Warrior home page:  http://www.radagast.org/jade-warrior/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tomas Bystrom)
Subject: Re: SB Pro and MP3's
Date: 23 Aug 1999 16:33:14 GMT

In article <7pf6l7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David Ripton wrote:
>In article <7pc3i1$7qb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>[SBPro and unfaithful mp3 reproduction]
>
>I don't know if there exists an MP3 player with
>the option to directly emit 8-bit digital audio.

At least older versions of x11amp accepted the option -o 8, also mpg123
accepts the option --8bit.

/Tomas
--
Caps and foobar are normally not parts of my address.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Failed to format IOMEGA zip
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 17:37:36 GMT

I am running Red Hat 6.0 and have an ATAPI internal Zip drive installed as
hdc. I can read from and write to the zip using the vfat type.

I want to use the zip in ext2 type. So I first use fdisk to delete the old
dos partition 4 and added new primary partition 1 type 83 (Linux). When I run
"mke2fs /dev/hdc1" to format the zip, I got the following message:

======================================= Writing inode tables: done
ext2fs_mkdir: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
while creating root dir. =======================================

When I run "mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/zip", no error message. But when I
use "ls", I see something like:

=======================================
?--------- 0  zip
=======================================

Certainly I can't write to and read from this "mount point" :-)

Anybody has any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Wenbin

From: Mike Gruber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Failed to format IOMEGA zip
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 18:32:56 GMT

==============79F29CBDBF1F78845D18B451

I think you need to say "mke2fs /dev/hdc".  When I did this, I didn't delete the
old DOS partition, and I didn't make a new type 83 partition either.  I just put
the disk in, and gave the mke2fs command, and it worked fine.

Mike Gruber

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am running Red Hat 6.0 and have an ATAPI internal Zip drive installed as
> hdc. I can read from and write to the zip using the vfat type.
>
> I want to use the zip in ext2 type. So I first use fdisk to delete the old
> dos partition 4 and added new primary partition 1 type 83 (Linux). When I run
> "mke2fs /dev/hdc1" to format the zip, I got the following message:
>
> ======================================= Writing inode tables: done
> ext2fs_mkdir: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
> while creating root dir. =======================================
>
> When I run "mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/zip", no error message. But when I
> use "ls", I see something like:
>
> =======================================
> ?--------- 0  zip
> =======================================
>
> Certainly I can't write to and read from this "mount point" :-)
>
> Anybody has any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
>
> Wenbin

==============79F29CBDBF1F78845D18B451

begin:vcard
n:Gruber;Mike
tel;work:(425) 806-4035
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Vixel Corporation;Firmware Group
adr:;;11911 North Creek Parkway South;Bothell;Washington;98011;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Embedded Software Engineer
fn:Mike Gruber
end:vcard

From: "Lukasz Trybulec" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: VESA
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 17:05:03 -0400

Can i use vesafb with AGP card?

------------------------------

From: Dik Kin Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dual Celeron 366 vs PIII 450
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:30:43 -0700

Hi all,

Since Intel drops the price of PIII 450 to $183, it makes the price really
comparable to a Dual Celeron 366 system. Therefore, I would like to
compare the performance of those two:

1) How does Dual Celeron 366 (oc to 550) compare to PIII 450 in Linux,
   Windows NT (SMP version) and Windows 98 (no SMP) ?
   I know the performance does vary a lot depends on applications being
   used, but I am curious about the relative performance range.

2) Since SB Live is not supported in SMP, what is the alternative choice
   which is better supported? Is there a list of SMP soundcards available?

Thanks.

Ken

------------------------------

From: "trevor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printers Support
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:24:00 -0700

I have a system with win98 and Mandrake 6.0
I am looking for a new Color printer
I like the Lexmark 3200 but am unsure if it will work with linux

------------------------------

From: LhD Administrator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HardWare List?
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 18:30:55 GMT

> Is there a list of hardware that has been tested with Linux?  I was on
> the RatHat site, and it didn't have it didn't have a lot of hardware
> in it  Is there another site that may have a better list?  Or has
> anyone have tested Linux on a Houston Technologies motherboard?

There's the Linux Hardware Database (drivers, workarounds and ratings) at
http://lhd.datapower.com  Sadly, we don't have any info on Houston
motherboards yet -- but you can be the first one! :-)

Very few older motherboards have problems with Linux, so it will probably
work.  The better question to ask is "how well?", not "will it run?"

LhD Administrator
LhD: Linux Hardware Database
http://lhd.datapower.com

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: internal modems anyone?
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 17:49:46 GMT

have seen many suggestions for externals, how about internals?  Been
trying to make a Digicom (creative labs) work on ttyS1 but it wont go.
running RH5.2 on a P100 with no more serial ports unless I install one
(would that be hard to do?). Internals anyone?