Linux-Hardware Digest #89, Volume #11            Tue, 24 Aug 99 19:13:45 EDT

Contents:
  Re: ISDN modem reccomendation (Mark Cooperstein)
  Re: Quake 3 Arena (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: Creative Labs AWE 64 sound problmes (Andy Johnstone)
  Re: Failed to format IOMEGA zip (Roger)
  Re: ppp problems (Leonard)
  Tektronix 560E printing. (Matthew Jochum)
  Last 3com drivers (Emmanuel CHILAUD)
  Re: Abit BP6 Dual Celeron (QuestionExchange)
  Re: CPU Comparison (Greg Leblanc)
  Re: Simple Prob Im sure (warning, newbie) (QuestionExchange)
  Re: Crashes with K6/2-366 and Asus P5A (Beat Rupp)
  ! Mainboard Resource Center ("M Baker")
  What does this Kernel Message mean? (Mike Gorsuch)
  Re: Mounting Sparq 1.0 gb external HD (Brett Hall)
  Help: Fujitsu network device module problem?? (Avijit Purkayastha)
  Re: DLink DFE650TX and Linux (LhD Administrator)
  Crashes with K6/2-366 and Asus P5A (Dati)
  Re: 3com ISA cards and linux ("Kalkas")
  Re: CPU Comparison ("Bradley Dunn")
  wondering about my MB and video ("me")
  Re: Does Linux support ...? ("Kalkas")
  Re: FIC PA-2013 Motherboard + 768 MB? (Scott Marlowe)
  Jaton 57P (vic)
  Another Printer for LINUX (Leonard)
  serial printer on linux/smb server (DI Bernhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=FCller?=)
  Re: dump(1): how to calculate the tape density? ("Gene Heskett")
  Re: 13.6G 7200RPM Ultra ATA hard drive with Ultra ATA 66 Controller (Andries Brouwer)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Cooperstein)
Subject: Re: ISDN modem reccomendation
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 20:22:36 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Carl Filpo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Can anybody reccommend a good isdn modem for use with debian ?

I would reccomend an external ISDN terminal adapter.  They are easier to
configure in Linux as they look like a plain-jane modem to the OS.  The only
caveat is that if you will be using your ISDN TA at full tilt (ie: 128KB/s 2B
channels) then you will want to consider getting something like a Turbocom
TurboPort 920 board.  It has a 16750 UART and can clock up to 900+KB/s whereas
the normal UARTS found in most motherboards can only get a max baud rate of
115KB so you end up sacrificing performance a little.  If you do get another
high speed serial board, then you will have to configure it in Linux with the
PnP stuff.  It can be done, as I've done it!

Suggestions for inexpensive ISDN TA's that I've used with Linux:
        The Motorola BitSurfr PRO (discontinued, but plentiful on the used
marked)
        The 3Com Impact IQ (actually it's been replaced with a newer model,
but I can't remember the model name....)

Mark

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Quake 3 Arena
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 20:15:06 +0200

Justin Fisher wrote:
> i have mesa-3.1beta2 installed also - and a voodoo3 - when i run
> linuxquake3 from the q3test rpm it starts up and just has a black
> screen.

I have a voodoo2 and linuxquake3 has worked fine with it. However, I
didn't use mesa but Glide. You should probably get the file
Glide_V2-2_53-1_i386_glibc.rpm from www.3dfx.com.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Andy Johnstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creative Labs AWE 64 sound problmes
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:28:20 -0400

If you have redhat try sndconfig...thats how i set mine up.  Haven't played q3,
but x11amp plays mp3s just fine.

andy

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 20:39:54 +0100
From: Roger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Failed to format IOMEGA zip

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am running Red Hat 6.0 and have an ATAPI internal Zip drive installed as
> hdc. I can read from and write to the zip using the vfat type.
>
> I want to use the zip in ext2 type. So I first use fdisk to delete the old
> dos partition 4 and added new primary partition 1 type 83 (Linux). When I run
> "mke2fs /dev/hdc1" to format the zip, I got the following message:

Iomega Zip drives can only be formatted using Zip Tools, which aren't
available for Linux - the Windows format shouldn't be used either.
There should never be a reason to format a Zip disk, but if you have to,
do it in Windoze using Zip Tools (they appear when you right click the
Zip drive in Windows Explorer).  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't
think ext2fs is possible for this reason.
--
Roger

Web: http://freespace.virgin.net/roger.cantwell
ICQ: 40038278
*** Please remove "james" from the reply address ***

------------------------------

From: Leonard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: ppp problems
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:59:21 -0400

Ref: timeout issues...

If you are using KPPP, look on one of the front
panels and there is a box with 60seconds in it..
..change that to 75 seconds. Then in the box in
the KPPP setup where you put a job to be executed
by pppd...put in "netscape"..(not the quotes) then
pppd will start executing a job...and  all timeout
considerations will be nullified.

Hope this helps...good luck. If you are not using
KPPP, I would recommend it.

Leonard...

------------------------------

From: Matthew Jochum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tektronix 560E printing.
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:37:51 -0400

Hello Folks,
    I am trying to setup the 560 Extended to my RH6.0
machine, as a remote (TCP/IP) printer.  I would like to use
the phaseprint software, and functionality associated w/
it.  However, if that is not possible, what are my
alternatives.  I can set up the printer via LPR, (and I have
for the time being)  but I want to be able to select the
different trays, and I have not figured out how to write a
filter to do that.  I do have different postscript files,
that, if sent to the machine, will change trays, but I would
prefer this to be done via a filter.

Thanks,
Matt

--
AOL Instant Message: DOHCMatt
Quote:

------------------------------

From: Emmanuel CHILAUD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Last 3com drivers
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:01:16 +0200

I'm looking for the latest drivers for 3c905b ethernet card.

Can someone tell me where I can find that ?

Thanks,

E. CHILAUD

------------------------------

From: QuestionExchange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Abit BP6 Dual Celeron
Date: 24 Aug 1999 15:40:4 GMT

> I am interested in building yet another dual CPU box to add
to my
> cluster of dual CPU linux machines. The two I have are
pentium pro and
> pentium II machines. Both CPUs needed to be stepping matched.
I couldn't
> find any information about stepping on the Abit site.
>
> Is there a stepping requirement for the abit motherboard? The
PDF manual
> I downloaded didn't seem to say anything about it.

This isn't a GNU?Linux question, as much as it is a hardware
question.  It is always a good idea to have matched cpu speeds,
and cpu's with the same stepping, otherwise you may have
problems.

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com

http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet1/showUsenetGuest?ans_id=2983&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=2540

------------------------------

From: Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CPU Comparison
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 20:00:31 GMT

Check out www.tomshardware.com and www.anandtech.com.  If AMD is not an
option, then the Celeron, PII, PIII,  Xeon should not be options either.
They are all similar, and the performance differences are narrowing.
      Greg

--
It's pronounced "sexy" not "scuzzy"!

From: QuestionExchange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Simple Prob Im sure (warning, newbie)
Date: 24 Aug 1999 15:40:32 GMT

http://developer.soundblaster.com/linux
> mounted the drive, blah blah blah
> when I try to gunzip it, It tells me it's not a valid gzip
file?
> What's with that?
That's because it is a compressed tar archive.
tar xvfz  emu10k1-0.3b.tar.gz (this is the present name of the
file)
> I'm sure it's a simple answer..
> oh, one more thing --> what are the chmod commands to allow
users other than
> root to access the modem?  I forgot what they were...
I can give you the command, but realize it's not always in your
best interest to allow anyone access to the modem.
There are also modem programs which allow non-root users access
to the modem.
"chmod 755" is probably what you want.  This makes the file
-rwxr-xr-x, or read, write, execute for the owner, read and
execute for the group, and read and execute for the world.
> Thanks guys,
>
> Please email me your responses,
>
> Jake Newton
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> (Been on Redhat 6.0 for about 2 weeks now, and I can't
believe I lived

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com

http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet1/showUsenetGuest?ans_id=2973&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=2558

------------------------------

From: Beat Rupp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Crashes with K6/2-366 and Asus P5A
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:17:47 GMT

Have you tried the newest BIOS version 1005? I had 1003 and a few=20
problems (but only in Windows). After having updated there are not=20
that much crashes anymore, but still some (but not in Linux :-))

beat

------------------------------

From: "M Baker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.aptiva,alt.comp.hardware.deals,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.hp.hardwar
Subject: ! Mainboard Resource Center
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:33:11 -0400

=======_NextPart_000_000D_01BEEE4E.5AC6F280

Visit the Mainboard Resource Center web site.
Try out the Message area, visit our popular links list, or view our =
comprehensive manufacturers links.
=20
Help yourself, and others by going to:
http://www.microsrv.com/mbrc/index.html
=20
Enjoy, see you there!

=======_NextPart_000_000D_01BEEE4E.5AC6F280

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P><FONT face=3Dgeneva,arial size=3D2>Visit the <B>Mainboard</B> =
<B>Resource</B>=20
<B>Center</B> web site.<BR>Try out the Message area, visit our popular =
links=20
list, or view our comprehensive manufacturers links.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Help =
yourself,=20
and others by going to:<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.microsrv.com/mbrc/index.html">http://www.microsrv.com/=
mbrc/index.html</A><BR>&nbsp;<BR>Enjoy,=20
see you there!<BR></FONT></P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

=======_NextPart_000_000D_01BEEE4E.5AC6F280==

From: Mike Gorsuch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What does this Kernel Message mean?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 20:52:12 GMT

Hey everyone. I woke up this morning and could not remotely login to my
server using SSH. I went and physically hooked it up to a console and saw
this message infinately scrolling down it:
"kmem_alloc: Bad Slab Magic (corrupt) (name=buffer_head)"

What does this mean? Could it mean I have bad RAM?

Thanks a ton,

Mike Gorsuch

"The words of the prohpets are written on the subway walls..."        |

Mike Gorsuch                                                          |
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                                  |

From: Brett Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mounting Sparq 1.0 gb external HD
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 17:08:05 +0000

Dale Sutcliffe wrote:

> How do I mount a Sparq 1.0 GB external hard drive?
> thanks

Checkout:
http://www.torque.net/parport/paride.html
Mine works fine, just be sure to mount /dev/pda1 (if you have any other
parallel port IDE devices the number might be different) as vfat.  That
bit isn't explained very well at the URL given above.
-brett

------------------------------

From: Avijit Purkayastha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help: Fujitsu network device module problem??
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 11:53:04 -0500

Hi All,
I am having a major problem fujitsu device driver fmv18x. I have
configured my ether card
(Eiger 10BT) to run DHCP. The config files are ok (I have set hostname,
domain, DNS and
dhcp protocol). When I boot, the `eth0' is failing with the
message (from /var/log/messages):
insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.9-19mdk/fmv18x.o: init_module: Device or
resource busy

When I checked `dmesg' the following appears:
fmv18x: register_netdev() returned non-zero

Both of these messages appear irrespective if the card is in/out of slot
and PCMCIA
recognises card correctly also..

This exact same setup worked with rh5.1, its only when I upgraded to
rh6.0 that
I am facing this problem....:-((

Anyone facing similar problems with their respective device drivers? Any
suggestions
or help is greatly appreciated.
    -- Avi

------------------------------

From: LhD Administrator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DLink DFE650TX and Linux
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:30:55 GMT

Dirk Freese wrote:
> What I don't understand is: I installed this Linux over the network using
> Yast. So the install-routine found the card - and used it. But: Yast
found
> the card on IRQ 3. All tries to force the card to use this IRQ failed.
> ("RequestIRQ: Resource busy")

What does "cat /proc/interrupts" say?  It could be that you have an IRQ
conflict now, because some hardware got its IRQ's reassigned or something
got enabled (sound?).  This maybe more a matter of BIOS configuration and
PnP than kernel.  Is this a laptop?  What else is in the machine?

LhD Administrator
LhD: Linux Hardware Database
http://lhd.datapower.com

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Dati <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Crashes with K6/2-366 and Asus P5A
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:30:57 GMT

I often get full crashes on my system
with AMD K6/2-366 and Asus P5A on Suse 6.1 !
Are there known any problems ?
Thanx, Dati

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Kalkas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: 3com ISA cards and linux
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:20:12 +0200

Paul Sherwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 17:50:05 +0200, "Kalkas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

> >How shall I get those drivers? I have been at the 3com site, but they do
not
> >mention Linux; I plan to phone them directly.
> >
> The 3C509 is one of the commonest ISA ethernet cards around.AFAIK,
> every Linux distribution includes support for this card, either
> compiled into a kernel or as a loadable module.
>
> However, you may need the DOS setup program if you don't have it
> already. I suggest you reconfigure the card, switching off PnP and
> setting IRQ and IO values manually. You get fewer problems that way.
> You can get the 3Com config program from the 3Com website.
>
> Best regards, Paul

Thanks for your help, Paul.

Sincerely yours,
Kalkas

------------------------------

From: "Bradley Dunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 17:24:38 -0400

It there was not such thing as am AMD.. you would not have any P II PIII or
"Celery"........ AMD does nothing put push Intel to make faster chips while
they lower their prices... and by the way.. AMD is not faster than Intel...
ever heard of the Athalon or the K7????????

try www.tomshardware.com
or sysopt.com

AMD ROCKS
Brad
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "me" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: wondering about my MB and video
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 17:04:25 -0500

Linux gurus

ok im curious - i have a Matsonic mainboard  the outside of thew manual says
SiS 530 100MHz mainboard

the SiS chip in the box (computer) says 5595

so is it a 530 chipset???  with a 5595 video chip??  any one else know of
this board???

i'd really like to set up Gnome but i am having sooo much trouble with this

Rich

   http://www.newsfeeds.com       The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
======== Over 73,000 Newsgroups = Including  Dedicated  Binaries Servers =======

------------------------------

From: "Kalkas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Linux support ...?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:31:23 +0200

Stuart Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 18:37:54 +0200, "Kalkas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> so kindly spent valuable time writing:
>

> >I plan to install and use Linux.
> >
> >Before I do this, I will be sure whether Linux supports following things:
> >
> >Audiocard Creative Sound Blaster PCI 128
>
> Yes.  After a few days trying to figure it out I determined that I
> needed to recompile the standard kernel with sound support and
> indicate that it should load an ES1370 module.  Yours may be slightly
> different and use the ES1371 module - try them both.

Thanks for your answer.

However, could you explain to me what is an ES 1370 module. Is it something
part of Linux, or what?

Sorry, I am very new to the computers. The only thing I am certain of is
that I do not wish to use any Microsoft products.

Sorry that I, by a mistake, sent also my reply to your private mail. It was
not intentionally done.

Sincerely yours,
Kalkas

------------------------------

From: Scott Marlowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FIC PA-2013 Motherboard + 768 MB?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:27:21 -0600

"Daniel E. Maddux" wrote:

> FIC claims that their PA-2013 Motherboard can handle 768 MB (3-256 MB
> DIMMs) of Memory, but they had not actually tested the Motherboard with
> 256 MB DIMMs.  Has anyone got 256 MB DIMMs to work with this
> Motherboard?  If so, what Memory did you use?  TIA

I wouldn't run it with that much.  With 2 Megs of cache, the 2013's
VIA chipset can only cache 512 Megs of main memory.  Unless you were
actually going to routinely use that much memory, your performance under
most circumstances would be slower, not faster.  If you need 3/4 Gig or
more of memory, you should probably go to a GX chipset motherboard.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (vic)
Subject: Jaton 57P
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 17:52:27 GMT

Hi
I'm running RH5.2 with a Jaton Video 57-P card (trident 96xx),
and currently can do no better than 600x480, 256 color. I've tried
Xconfigurator, Setup, etc., upgraded to 3.3.3, all to no avail.
(I've been away from it for awhile, please forgive jargon errors...)
I really don't want to lay out for a new card right now, I'd rather
spend my $ on a new HD and more memory, so...
Does anybody have a working XF86Config??????
TIA
Vic Oravetz

------------------------------

From: Leonard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Another Printer for LINUX
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:09:28 -0400

Ref: Printers compatible with LINUX

After struggling with the KLPQ spooler and PRINTTOOL I
finally got my printer running...99% of the problems were not
related to the printer but my awkwardness with Linux commands!

Anyway...if you are looking for an inexpensive printer
that is new, the following printer does work on LINUX
and with the KLPQ spooler system.

Canon BJC-2010   Costs less than $80 at most discount
stores...just coming out. Also, in looking at some of the
other new Canon printers that are on the approved list
for Linux is the BJC-1000 and it was just upgraded to
the BJC-1010...all of these work with the set-up in
Red-Hat. Also, the new smaller, less expensive HP
InkJet is 100% compatible. Its also $99 retail.

When running "Printtool"...select the BJC-600-4000
printer...this driver set-up apparently is the basis
for the old Canon 4000 series. The 2000 series apparently
has the same driver needs. I have my older BJC-5000
over on Win95B...its a Winprinter! Wouldn't you know!
I've bought a modem and a printer because of vendors
making hardware exclusively for a particular OS! Booo!
Now, if Quicken would just make a LINUX version!
I'd be 100% Linux!

I bought the BJC-2010 to use as a handy B/W printout
printer...it does that quite well. As of this writing I
haven't found the Netscape problem....looking for
the wrong printer...its minor I think..just haven't found
where he's keeping the wrong printer name. In the
meantime I route the print data to disk...then print
it. Its already in PS...works quite well.

Good luck..

Leonard...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:02:20 +0200
From: DI Bernhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=FCller?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: serial printer on linux/smb server

I can't avoid connecting a printer to my linux/samba server via a serial
(RS232) line. The server should only pass through the binary datastream
from the Win95 clients to the Canon LBP-8 IV, but it doesnt completely.
The lpd seems to filter out some bytes of the data, at least the images
and font information are somewhat corrupted.
I can exclude cable problems, since the data is always damaged the same
way and its speed-independent.
Perhaps anyone can give me a hint how I could fix the problem - I didnt
find anything, neither in smb.conf nor in printcap or setserial.

thanks
bernhard

------------------------------

Date: 24 Aug 99 18:31:49 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dump(1): how to calculate the tape density?

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Volker M.;

 VMB> I have to reply myself ;-)

 VMB> As I have learned from http://www.searchlinux.com, there are two
 VMB> solutions:

 VMB> 1) use the dump(1) Parameter "B": The number of dump records per
 VMB> volume
 VMB> (this is interpreted as the size in kilobytes). This option
 VMB> overrides the calculation of tape size based on length and
 VMB> density.

 VMB> # dump 0uBf 8000000 /dev/nrmt0 /home

 VMB> assuming a 8 GByte=8000000 KByte (compressed) tape.

XBRU, for instance, turns the compression in the drive off for files
that are already compressed, and your capacity becomes hard to judge.

In making my last backup, I had to reach for the second tape at 6.74
gigs actually on the tape.

The tapes are 4 gig tapes, and the 8 gigs is achieved by allowing the
tape drive to do the compressing, so in effect you are counting
un-compressed bytes, with the drive doing about a 2 to 1 compress.

Since the majority of the data I was backing up was tar.gz, and .rpm
stuffs, I thought getting 6.74 gigs onto the tape was nothing less than
amazing!

The *real world* is not always as the makers tell you in the propaganda.

 VMB> 2) calculate the density [BPI] by assuming the capacity of 8
 VMB> GByte
 VMB> (compressed) for the tape and the tape length of 120 meter
 VMB> (converted to inch).

Very approximate.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III
                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andries Brouwer)
Subject: Re: 13.6G 7200RPM Ultra ATA hard drive with Ultra ATA 66 Controller
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:09:57 GMT

Roger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

::  I just bought Gateway compuetr with 13.6G 7200RPM
::  Ultra ATA hard drive with Ultra ATA 66
::  Controller.  The machine already has windos 98.
::  While installing Linux, the installer was not
::  able to see the filesys.  The hard drive is
::  originally not partitioned.  Only C drive exist
::  in Windos 98.

If the disk is not partitioned then partition it,
with fdisk or cfdisk or so. Most distribution installation
programs will offer to fire up some fdisk-type program.

: You need something like Partition Magic

Only if you like a coloured graphics interface.