Linux-Hardware Digest #112, Volume #11           Fri, 27 Aug 99 14:13:33 EDT

Contents:
  dittomax ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Yamaha CRW4416S ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Multipoint protocol? (Pablo Yaggi)
  Problem with Yamaha opl3-sa3 sound card ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Flashpath and Linux? (Joe Pfeiffer)
  Re: Compressed Files (David Ripton)
  Re: Avoid ATI Graphics like the plague (David C.)
  Re: cost of leased line in notting hill, London England (Laurie Robert Young)
  Linux on DECpc 425 Help needed (G. Dimitoglou)
  Re: [Q] Installing linux with CD-RW (Andy Johnstone)
  Re: how to setup SoundBlaster 64 PCI PnP ("Jose M. Urena")
  Re: K7 Athlon! ("Stu Tilley")
  Re: dittomax (fulton)
  Re: Linux on Toshiba 2595xDVD ?? ("Horton")
  Re: Yamaha CRW4416S (Peter Stein)
  Re: Sound Card: Best Linux supported make/model? (David A. Rogers)
  Re: Avoid ATI Graphics like the plague (Michel Catudal)
  Re: how to setup SoundBlaster 64 PCI PnP (Dr. Oook)
  Re: how to setup SoundBlaster 64 PCI PnP (Dr. Oook)
  Re: Sound card setings for Thinkpad 600 (2645-51U)? (John Stile)
  S3 Inc. Trio3D (Jesse Singh)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: dittomax
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:08:47 GMT

Does anyone know how to configure a Dittomax tape drive to run on
linux?  what device will it be listed as?  any suggestions are greatly
appreciated!!!!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Yamaha CRW4416S
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:37:10 GMT

Anyone had any experience getting this SCSI CD-R to work with Linux?

From: Pablo Yaggi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Multipoint protocol?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 11:12:09 -0300

> I wonder how you want to identify the sender or receiver of the data
> without MAC addresses. It looks like a "broadcast-only" network. If
> you
> give IP numbers to your PCs, you will have to translate them to
> addresses understandable to the data-link layer. How are you going to
> do
> it?

I could assign each board a mac address, but in that case I will have to
program
my own interface, the question was if there any way to avoid it, because
I don't
have information about how to do it right now.
Instead of that, I thought if I do a "broadcast-only" network betwen the
3 pc,
and they're working as gateways (ipfwd, etc..), there's no problem on
getting
all the packets to each pc, so in that case the routing will be done at
IP level,
doesn't it?
so the problem if how to stablish a link betwen the networking part of
the kernel
and my board. For example if there were two pc I could stablish a
ppp-link because
in the negotiation only one will send and receive at a time.
I suppouse I could stop the ppp negotioation somehow, but this not nice,
so
the question is if there any other protocol like ppp but not connection
oriented, that could be used with a serial interface.
Regards,
Pablo.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problem with Yamaha opl3-sa3 sound card
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:54:44 GMT

I recently installed RH Linux 6.0 (kernel 2.2.5-15), and am having
problems getting my soundcard to work. I ran 'sndconfig', which detected
correctly that I have a Yamaha OPL3-sa3 card. Fearing a lockup, I asked
it not to autoprobe. After it asked me for I/O and IRQ settings, (of
which I only know that the card has IRQ 5 and DMA 0 and 1 - how can I
find I/O settings through Windows?), I got the following errors:

sh: insmod: command not found
ad1848: No such file or directory

Now, 'insmod' *is* in /sbin, where it should be, and my path includes
that folder. I am also logged in as root. What's the problem here? I
also get the following error when linux boots up:

/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/opl3sa2.o : init_module : Device or resource
busy    [ FAILED ]

What's my problem here? I asked around in #linux on DALnet, but no one
could offer help except to "compile the sound card into my kernel" (and
i'm a newbie, so I'm not experienced or brave enough to do that). I also
tried a 'pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf', and got a listing of I/O ports and
IRQs and all that...but I don't know which selection to uncomment. Any
thoughts?

-sean o. | [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Joe Pfeiffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Flashpath and Linux?
Date: 27 Aug 1999 08:14:24 -0600

Drat, drat, and drat.  The reverse engineering is the hard part...
thanks for the link, though.
--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Ripton)
Subject: Re: Compressed Files
Date: 27 Aug 1999 15:03:34 GMT

In article <7q4h46$78n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Randy Wile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Anyone know an easy place to learn how to install compressed files. Like the
>linux programs you download from Tucows or something.

man tar
man gzip
man bzip2

I typically just cp blah.tar.gz to /usr/tmp, cd to /usr/tmp, say
tar xvfz blah.tar.gz, watch it uncompress and untar, cd into
the new directory that was created, and look for a file called
README or INSTALL or something.  Every program is a bit
different from this point, though typically you run Configure
or make config or something, answer some questions, then
type make or make all or something to build the binary, then
type make install (often after a su to root to get write
permission for a system directory) to copy it into place.
My strategy is to install big programs that want a whole
directory (e.g. Blackdown JDK) into /opt/programname, and things
designed to split up nicely into bin, man, lib, etc
subdirectories (e.g. gcc) into /usr/local.  By keeping stuff
you install in the home, local, and opt directories, you
simplify the task of upgrading your OS, since "your" files
are mostly segregated from "the distribution's" files.

tar.bz2 files (which I prefer because bzip2 compresses so much
better than gzip, and download time is a lot more significant
than decompression time) are similar, except that I use tar
xvfy instead of xvfz.  If you have an older tar that doesn't
support bzip2 you need to use bzip2 -d to uncompress the file,
then tar xvf to extract it.  Do this a couple of times to
learn how, with and without pipes, then update your tar.

--
David Ripton    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
spamgard(tm): To email me, put "geek" in your Subject line.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Avoid ATI Graphics like the plague
Date: 27 Aug 1999 11:23:50 -0400

I guess not.  I will never understand why someone running a
non-mainstream OS (and face it, Linux is not mainstream, no matter how
good it may be) and then automatically assume that every piece of
hardware in the world must be compatible with it.

We're not talking about spending days memorizing stuff.  We're talking
about checking to make sure a piece of hardware is compatible _BEFORE_
buying it instead of finding out afterwards that it isn't and then
screaming to the 'net that "I can't find a driver.  This hardware
sucks!".

If I followed your logic, I'd have an incredibly fast doorstop, because
none of thie powerful cutting-edge hardware would have any software
support.  Throwing IT professionals at the problem (which you claim to
have plenty of money for) is a lot more expensive than doing 20 minues
of research before buying a new piece of hardware.

If that's what you like, fine.  But for those of us who want to do
something with our systems besides trying to get them to start up, it's
a waste of time.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Laurie Robert Young)
Subject: Re: cost of leased line in notting hill, London England
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:02:49 GMT

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:31:07 GMT, colin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Could someone very kindly tell me if this seems a reasonable price for a

>leased line in Notting Hill, London England. Prices are in pounds sterling

>£2000 set up

>£8700 128k

>£12200 256k

>£17900 512k

 NTL (www.askntl.co.uk) are going to be offereing Cablemodems soon (or
so they say)

Prices are expected to be approx
Modem itself £150
Set up £50
the £40 pcm

I think that is 128k speed that they will be offering - you might be
better off checking that out

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (G. Dimitoglou)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Linux on DECpc 425 Help needed
Date: 27 Aug 1999 15:51:30 GMT

Hi all, I would like to know if anyone has put *any* version of Linux on a DECpc 425.

I have no idea what the BIOS is or what network card it has but I assume that it is
the default one that
Digital used to ship them with (it is definately 10Mb/sec).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
George

------------------------------

From: Andy Johnstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Q] Installing linux with CD-RW
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 12:20:46 -0400

No, not really.  Linux assigns the abcd or whatever everytime it boots up, it
hasn't made any difference for me.

andy

------------------------------

From: "Jose M. Urena" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to setup SoundBlaster 64 PCI PnP
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 12:00:17 -0400

use the Audio PCI drivers, or the Sound Blaster PCI driver  (1370 or 1371)

DO NOT USE THE SB, SB16 or SB Pro drivers because they are not compatible.

Jan Kolar wrote:

> i have linux debian box with 2.2.1 kernel with SoundBlaster sound driver
> compiled in, and with all device files created in /dev. pciutils finds
> multimedia Ensoniq audio controller on e400 IRQ 12.
>
> under windows sound card is working properly with:
> PCI SB 64 device: Port 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1
> Base/MIDI: Port 330, IRQ 7, DMA 1
> Wave: Port 534, IRQ 7, DMA 1
> MPU-401: Port 330, IRQ 7
> AdLib: Port 388 (equal to opl3 synth driver under linux?)

Your problem is that these are not real, these information is created by the
legacy emulator in windows, yes the EMULATOR.
the only drawback is that you will have trouble playing MIDI, or no midi at
all.
The card plays MIDI by using a MIDI emulator.

------------------------------

From: "Stu Tilley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: K7 Athlon!
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:28:59 +0100

d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox) wrote in message ...
>"Phoenix Multi-Tech Inc." <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Does anyone have any information on Linux running with the new K7
>> Athlon, 500mhz and up?
>
>Tom's hardware page had a writeup that included info about Linux.
>Once you can get a motherboard it should run well -- I watch for
>availability at www.lynncomp.com, they seem to be waiting anxiously
>for these to arrive.
>--
>David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
>UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

Mmmm.... not too sure.... Athlon looks fine and AMD have OK'd RedHat Linux
(see their web site)  BUT the support chip AMD Southbridge 756 may be a
problem on some mbo's.  AMD have a driver for Winblows/NT on their web site
for the EIDE hook; not sure if it's essential or nice to have but there sure
ain't a Linux version!  May need to check out support chips before getting
too excited!

Stu

------------------------------

From: fulton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dittomax
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:19:51 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Does anyone know how to configure a Dittomax tape drive to run on
> linux?  what device will it be listed as?  any suggestions are greatly
> appreciated!!!!

Mr. Wiser,

Is the tape drive an internal or external drive?  In either case,
reading the Ftape HOWTO should give you a good start.

Ed Fulton

------------------------------

From: "Horton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Re: Linux on Toshiba 2595xDVD ??
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 12:40:20 -0400

I got this laptop a couple of weeks ago and I am completely happy with it.
'Fraid I can't answer your question about Linux, but the modem I believe is
a Winmodem.  Not sure if these type modems will work under Linux or not.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Stein)
Subject: Re: Yamaha CRW4416S
Date: 27 Aug 1999 16:31:06 GMT

In article <7q67ql$kgv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Anyone had any experience getting this SCSI CD-R to work with Linux?
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Works fine. I use the latest cdrecord and xcdroast with 2.2.9.

Peter Stein

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David A. Rogers)
Subject: Re: Sound Card: Best Linux supported make/model?
Date: 27 Aug 1999 16:01:01 GMT

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999 22:43:20 -0400, george <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> speaketh saying:
>I'm looking for something to replace my original SB16 (with jumpers - no
>Pnp!).
>
>I know the SB Live series is not supported (save some 0.0.0.0.1 binary
>only drivers).  I need something well supported and that sounds better
>than a plain old SB16.  The low sig-noise ratio of my very old SB16 is
>absolutely obnoxious on my mega-stereo system!!

If you don't care about on-card synth support there are a number of cards that
will do.  Check out the Linux hardware database at lhd.datapower.com and the
Linux hardware compatibility and the sound howtos at www.linux.org.  Press
support and then click on the howto link.

Cheers,
dar

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 27 Aug 1999 11:56:03 -0500

"David C." wrote:

> If I didn't do that, I would probably have ended up with a Rage-120 or
> Voodoo-whatever card, and I'd be scrambling to try and find somebody on
> the net with a driver.
>
> -- David

The Voodoo cards are well supported under Linux, at least with SuSE
which has a large list of different Voodoo cards. Just use sax and
you won't have any problem with such a card. I recently installed
it for a friend of mine and it looks great, specially on a 21 inch
screen as he got.

--
Tanné du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]@vimes.discworld.net (Dr. Oook)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 22:59:47 +0200

Use "alsa". There is a debian package. But better look for a more
recent version on the net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dr. Oook)
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:14:52 +0200

In article <7q1bos$5nq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Liddleddy Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Does Linux support PCI sound?

It sure does. Try "alsa".

CU

The Dr.

------------------------------

From: John Stile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Sound card setings for Thinkpad 600 (2645-51U)?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:19:12 -0700

I guessed at some better settings but I hear a  low frequency snapping
sound every .3 sec while it is playing wave files.
My current settings in conf.modules  follows:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
alias sound cs4232
pre-install sound insmod sound dmabuf=1
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=3 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=5 synthirq=5
synthio=220

I'll keep trying.

------------------------------

From: Jesse Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: S3 Inc. Trio3D
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 08:49:38 -0700

Hello I need some help setting up my video card.  It is a S3 Inc. Trio3D
card.  I have RH6.0 CD, Standard packages that are on the CD.  Do I need
to upgrade any files so that my card is supported?  I can't get anything
better that 600x800 8 bit. Where can I get the apprpriate drivers.  I
need a ftp site as I am behind a firewall and can't get access to port
80.
any help would be appreciated.

TIA Jess