From: Ray McLaughlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Number Nine Revolution 3D PCI
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 06:09:07 -0500

Stuart Johnston wrote:

> I have a Number Nine Revolution 3D PCI video card that I have been
> trying to get working with XFree86 without success.  Has anyone had any
> success with this card?  I know that the AGP version is supported but I
> have the PCI.
>
> Thanks,
> Stuart Johnston

>From what I have read at, http://www.xfree86.org, this card uses the
I128 server.

Regards

From: "Ferdinand V. Mendoza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and AMD Athlon
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:03:44 +0400

Check the latest in

http://www.cpureview.com

Ferdinand

------------------------------

From: Gross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.slakware,thenet.support.linux,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: How to instal UDMA66 ?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 12:20:21 +0300

I Have a new computer with udma66 and fdisk doesn't find
the disk. it isnt hd* nor sd*, what can I do?

------------------------------

From: Tim Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond MX300... is it supported?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:19:46 -0700

Not yet. The company that makes the chips used on the board has
thus far refused to release Linux drivers and refused to publish
the programming specs for the Linux community. There is an effort
underway to write drivers anyway, but it's tough without support
from the chip maker. Last time I heard, the MX300 drivers would not
be available until late in the year. This all-too-chummy relationship
between some hardware vendors and Microsoft is probably the primary
thing that keeps many people with windows.

-Tim

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: iomega SCSI controller usable?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 21:19:38 -0600

Scott Krehbiel wrote:

> I need to be able to run Linux from a SCSI hard
> disk, so I can disable my IDE controller and
> switch over to Linux.  There's already a lot
> of mess set up on my IDE drives, and I don't
> want to take a chance on trashing all that
> if I don't do the boot selector thing correctly.
>
> so here's my question:  Can I control a SCSI hard disk
> through my Iomega Jaz Jet SCSI card?  I know that
> theoretically all SCSI is SCSI and should work.
> However, I've had problems reading a SCSI CD-Rom
> drive through that controller.  System complained
> that it's non-ATAPI compatible.
>
> I know I should just buy an Adaptec and use that,
> and eventually I plan to.
>
> If I set up SCSI disks to use the Iomega controller,
> then switch to the Adaptec, will I hit even bigger
> problems?

IIRC, the Iomega SCSI card is a rebadged Adaptec AHA-1510.
This should work fine in linux using the aha152x driver but
since the 151x series lacks an on-board BIOS you will not be
able to boot from devices attached to it.  You could,
however, keep your IDE drive to boot from and still use the
SCSI device after linux can load the driver for it.

BTW, ATAPI and SCSI are not interchangable.  You need SCSI
support available to use your SCSI CDROM in linux.  ATAPI
support won't cut it.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Daniel Gatti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: how do i access the cd-rom
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:01:10 -0400

ZAP wrote:

> i have an ide cd-rom drive.  I would like to read from it in openlinux 2.2
>
> can any tell me how to copy from cd-rom to linux hard drive

>                    http://www.searchlinux.com

It took me weeks to find this out myself. Try this:
1. Put the CD in the drive.
2. at the command line: mount /mnt/cdrom
3. cd /mnt/cdrom
and you should be able to look at the CD.
Then to get the thing out of the drive.
1. cd /home (or anywhere that is NOT on the CD. otherwise you'll get a
'device-busy' message)
2. umount /mnt/cdrom
3. Push the little button to remove the CD.

If this doens't work, there may be some arguments that you have to give to
'mount', but I'm not up on exactly what those are.

------------------------------

From: "Grail Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3D Banshee Video Card Problem...  help?
Date: 28 Aug 1999 11:06:05 GMT

Just know if someone could point me in the right direction...?

Running RedHat Linux 6.0 (Kernal 2.2.15 ??? or something, cant remember
right now, sorry)

Trying to get the Creative 3D Banshee to run right, only problem is that
under Linux the refresh rates arent tabled for my monitor (V Sync, H Sync),
does anyone know of a program that will allow me to caculate the rates and
manually set the rates for my monitor - the utils programs that came with
RH6.0 haven't worked - (the monitor just drops in and out all the time)

Any help appreciated indeed, a point in the right direction?

Regards, Grail Knight

------------------------------

From: "Grail Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Banshee install problem
Date: 28 Aug 1999 11:09:05 GMT

Sorry, not an answer...   :(

Please send info to me also, if you dont mind...

Regards, Grail Knight

Craig O'Neill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<7q6ukb$1eq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

From: yan seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.printers
Subject: HP 4500DN and linux
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 07:09:37 -0400

This printer comes with built-in ethernet.  Has anoyne configured this
printer under linux?

It has PS2 emulation so I know I can get it to print - but my limited
experience tells me it will need a "manager" somewhere on the network to
administer security, etc. and to spool print jobs.  The HP website only
lists Win, OS/2, and Mac.

Any help at all (or pointers to HOWTOs) are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Yan

------------------------------

From: GA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.help,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: How to I remove Lilo
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 21:48:49 +1000

use a dos boot disk
then
fdisk /mbr

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Cooperstein)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: which digital LCD panel to use with XFree86?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 12:45:53 GMT

In article <PdEx3.98$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Alex Lewin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'd like to get a digital LCD panel for my computer running XFree86.
>I'm having trouble figuring out which ones are actually compatible.
>I know the Number Nine/Silicon Graphics pair, but it's expensive
>($2k+).
>
>Anyone have any experience using digital panels with XFree86,
>whether linux, freebsd or whatever?
>
>Thanks!
>Alex
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have a Princeton DPP 560 and ATI Xpert LCD.  The combo works great in
Windows, but I cannot for the life of me get a configuration that works in
Xfree86.  I'm still, working on it, so if you want me to keep you posted (I'm
hoping to get it working in the next week or so) drop me email and I'll let
you know my progress.

Many of the digital LCD monitors come with the ATI card. The ATI card is based
on the ATI Mach64 chipset and *should* work with X.  So far, neither Princeton
nor ATI has been much help, so I'm gonna have to figure this out on my own.

Mark

------------------------------

From: "Chris Wright" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help needed with SCSI Problem with aha152x .. TIA
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 13:00:37 +0100

I have been trying to get my Adaptec AVA-1505 ISA SCSI Card working on my
Redhat 6.0 installation. But no go.

when I try :-

# insmod aha152x aha152x=0x140,9,7,1

I get the following reported:-

aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1 controller(s)
aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x140, IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled,
parity=enabled,
    syncronous=disabled, delay=100, extended translation=disabled
aha152x: trying software interupt, lost.
aha152x: IRQ possibly wrong. Please verify.
scsi : 0 hosts
/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/scsi/aha152x.o: init module: Device or resource busy

However the card IS on IRQ 9, and is reconised as such i both
Windows 98 and Windows NT.

I know that the best solution is to go out and buy a half decent controller,
but I hate being defeated, ... , and I hate credit card interest :).

Any help with this would be much appreciated, since it's my last stumbling
block, having configured, without problems, my Banshee graphic card and my
SoundBlaster 32 Plug and Prey

TIA

------------------------------

From: "Zoso" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: Adaptec 78xx Hardware RAID and RH6
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:14:17 +0200

we are running RH6 2.2.11 on an Adaptec AAA-133u2 raid controller

first it wouldn't boot on a raid partition (/dev/md0).
We got around this problem by installing RH6  on an IDE device and then tar
the contents to the raid partition prepared for a boot partition.

it now boots fine from the raid device

our config is:

md0 : /boot (root device)
md1 : /usr
md2 : /var
md3 : /home

they are configured with superblock turned on - so that they can be
autodetected at bootup.

we get an error message from lo, eth0 and eth1 that the aliases cannot....

we think that this has something to do with the old mount point....

do you know where the absolute paths are configured?

Zoso

------------------------------

From: Rob van der Putten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cost of leased line in notting hill, London England
Date: 28 Aug 1999 14:16:21 +0200

Hi there

In comp.os.linux.networking colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Cheers for any advice......:)

You could try an analog line with baseband modems.
It may also be interresting to look at EU law.

Regards,
Rob

|                Rob van der Putten, [EMAIL PROTECTED]                 |
|              http://www.sput.webster.nl/spam-policy.html               |

From: Timothy Moll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Input from the serial port
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 13:34:19 +0100

How can I build a shell script (bash) and hardware, so that when one of
24 momentary buttons are pressed, it sends a signal through a 9 pin
serial wire, to a script. When the script receives the signal it
performs an action, and then waits for another input?

Thanks a lot,
--
Timothy Moll

From: polaris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Strange problem with pcmcia!!!!!!!
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 13:57:44 GMT

I used my pc card to install Redhat 6.0 on my machine, it did work. But
after the installation, it won't work anymore! I just don't
understand, 8(  Who can help me?

My machines is Toshiba 2590 CDT, My card is a Xirom CreditCard Ethernet
10/100+Modem 56. I am using Redhat 6.0, my kernel is 2.2.11 ...

I can always see a "anonymous memory card" message when starting the
system. I include memory range 0x07000000-0x0800ffff in
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts. In Win98 on the same machine, I found the
memory my pcmcia card is using locates in the area. But it still won't
work ...

Below is my comlete boot message, derived by dmesg:

=================
Linux version 2.2.11 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version egcs-2.91.66
19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 Sat Aug 28 17:33:47 GMT+8 1999
Detected 399065621 Hz processor.
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 398.13 BogoMIPS
Memory: 127932k/130944k available (1020k kernel code, 412k reserved,
1540k data, 40k init)
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_6.4.0 initialized
CPU: Intel Celeron (Mendocino) stepping 0a
Checking 386/387 coupling... OK, FPU using exception 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
mtrr: v1.35 (19990512) Richard Gooch ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfedcd
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.2
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0 for Linux NET4.0.
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
Initializing RT netlink socket
Starting kswapd v 1.5
Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
Serial driver version 4.27 with no serial options enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x02 (Driver version 1.9)
Linux video capture interface: v1.00
RAM disk driver initialized:  16 RAM disks of 4096K size
loop: registered device at major 7
PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 29
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xfe60-0xfe67, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xfe68-0xfe6f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
hda: IBM-DBCA-206480, ATA DISK drive
hdc: CD-224E, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: IBM-DBCA-206480, 6194MB w/420kB Cache, CHS=789/255/63, UDMA
hdc: ATAPI 24X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.55
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is an 8272A
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 hda7 > hda3 hda4
NTFS version 990411
Freeing unused kernel memory: 40k freed
Adding Swap: 112448k swap-space (priority -1)
Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.0.14
  kernel build: 2.2.11 #1 Fri Aug 27 00:10:41 GMT+8 1999
Intel PCIC probe:
  Toshiba ToPIC97 PCI-to-CardBus at bus 0 slot 2, mem 0x68000000, 2
sockets
    host opts [0]: [slot 0xf0] [ccr 0x10] [cdr 0x86] [rcr 0x00] [no pci
irq] [lat 168/176] [bus 20/20]
    host opts [1]: [slot 0xf0] [ccr 0x20] [cdr 0x86] [rcr 0x00] [no pci
irq] [lat 168/176] [bus 21/21]
    ISA irqs (default) = 3,4,5,7,9,10,12 polling interval = 1000 ms
cs: IO port probe 0x1000-0x10ff: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0200-0x02ff: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.
cs: memory probe 0x0c0000-0x0cffff: excluding 0xc0000-0xcffff
cs: memory probe 0x0d0000-0x0dffff: excluding 0xd0000-0xdffff
cs: unable to map card memory!
cs: unable to map card memory!
memory_cs: RequestWindow: Resource in use
cs: unable to map card memory!
cs: unable to map card memory!
======================

From: "Jay Whyatt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: Viper V330 AGP (4 MB)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 15:05:10 +0100

Should recognise it as a Riva TNT card, using SVGA driver.
If memory serves though when you configure you will need to specify the
resolution you want to run at and you cannot change it using ctrl/alt/+.  I
think only works at 16bit colour depth also

hope this is of some use.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Habibi4me <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI problems with CD-RW
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 10:05:46 -0400

Mircea wrote:
> =

> Hello-
> =

> I have a SCSI Ricoh-MP7040S rewritable, which gives me some trouble
> every once in a while. It's attached to a Advansys ABP940U controller,
> at id=3D4. The only other device I have connected to this SCSI chain is=
 an
> internal zip drive, at id=3D1, terminated (the adapter is also
> terminated).
> =

> I have no problem writing CDs on it, but sometimes when I mount cdroms
> as /dev/sr0, I cannot unmount them afterwards, and get the message
> "device busy". Another weird thing is, if I use 'cdrecord -scanbus' whe=
> this happens, the output looks like this:
> =

> Cdrecord release 1.8a24 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 J=F6rg Schilling
> scsibus0:
>                   0) *
>                   1) 'IOMEGA  ' 'ZIP 100         ' 'J.03' Removable Dis=
>                   2) *
>                   3) *
>                   4) 'IOMEGA  ' 'ZIP 100         ' 'J.03' Removable Dis=
>                   5) *
>                   6) *
>                   7) *
> =

> In other words, device 4 is now seen as another zip drive. It happens
> really seldom, but when it occurs, it's a real annoyance.
> =

> I guess if I could reset the scsi bus somehow, all would fall into plac=
> again, but I couldn't find a way to do it without rebooting. I tried th=
> scsistop utility, but it didn't get me anywhere (I get 'unable to open
> device').
> =

> I run Slackware 4.0, kernel 2.2.6. If someone can help me, thanks in
> advance. (PS: I did a search on this topic at deja.com, but didn't find=

> anything useful)
> =

> Mircea
> stamasd at excite dot com

If you have a "cdrecord" installed, all you need to reset the scsi bus
where your CD recorder resides is to issue this "cdrecord dev=3D0,4
-reset".

If you are using kernel 2.2.x and have enabled the "Probe all LUNs on
each SCSI device", try to disable it since this can give unexpected
results.

I hope this helps.

-- =

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PS. Remove "4m" from e-mail address to enable reply.

From: james <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: RE:floppy drives
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:30:58 GMT

Can't mount any of the file systems without knocking out my KDE links. Cud
someone with a workable system please show me a dump of their fstabs file ?
thanks

                    http://www.searchlinux.com