Linux-Hardware Digest #139, Volume #11           Mon, 30 Aug 99 17:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  Linux as a Win95 Internet server?
  Re: Anyone got a Umax Astra 1220S working? (Mad Matt)
  Re: Finding LAN Bottleneck (Tim Moore)
  Re: 128 bits? I don't think so... (Paul Chandler)
  Re: Can't detect Adaptec AVA 1505 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  RH 6.0 + Aiwa TD-8000 (scsi tape) = problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux Hardware Page? (MBr)
  Re: Creative Audiopci (es 1371 )  and midi (o.t)
  Re: Help with HP 812C printer... (Mevacor)
  Re: I need some help with overall stuff (Warren Bell)
  Re: Internal Iomega Zip Drive Problems (MBr)
  Re: Iiyama Vision Master Pro 510 A201HT ("Marout Yasuo Borms")
  Re: 100BaseTX NIC recommendations? (Jim McIllece)
  Re: Unusable space on 13.6GB hard-disk (MBr)
  Re: USB intellimouse in Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Using PCI expansion units? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Didier Wiroth)
  Re: Int.Modem can't dial out to PPP connection (JonB)
  Need your opinions for buying a new "Graphic Adapter" (Didier Wiroth)
  Re: help with col2.2 and q3test on nvidia's drivers (less)

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux as a Win95 Internet server?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:31:03 GMT

Hi,
   Is it possible to share an internet connexion between a Linux machine
(which has the Internet acces) and a Win95 machine? Using the Linux machine
as a Firewall?

  What if my Linux machine is connected to a printer and I want to use that
printer with Microsoft Word 97 Via the network from the Win95 machine. Is
it possible?

Please note that the network is already set up and it works fine under
Win95.

Thanks...

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Mad Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone got a Umax Astra 1220S working?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:12:08 GMT

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Scott Simpson wrote:

| <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
| news:7qbiai$1if$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
| > In article <7q9d2q$g90$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
| >   "Scott Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| > > I have this one working on Redhat 5.2 (2.0.36 kernel) but I'm not using
| the
| > > crappy SCSI card that came with the scanner.
| > Don't scare me, the SCSI card is much of the reason I'm buying this model,
| > but I could still return it.  What's so crappy about the included SCSI
| card?
|
| I don't remember what is so crappy about it, but the SANE page (somewhere. I
| don't remember where) said that the card was junk and I don't know if it is
| supported under Linux. I already had an Adaptec 1520B so I used it instead.
| The scanner works great, but the paucity of software caused me to move it
| back to my Windows box (the 1220S comes with lots of Windows software).

Righto, update:

I *did* manage to get thecard working, on a 2.2.9 kernel enable NCR5380
support and append dtc3181e=0x2c0,0 to the kernel parameters. It'll find
the card, but that's about it! SANE barfed at the card so I've begged an
Adaptec AIC7850 PCI board which works much better, SANE works, but only
as root, I'm notsure how to set up other users without doing the unsafe
setuid thing, and is gimp supposed to work with the card as well?

THanks for the help

Matt

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 01:43:30 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Finding LAN Bottleneck

> For station to station data transfer over a 100BaseTX LAN what is the
> maximum sustainable (station memory to station memory) transfer rate using
> the FTP protocol?

~9.5MB/s point-to-point or switched, otherwise slower based on overall
wire traffic load.

> How can this rate be demonstrated?

ftp> get xyzzy /dev/null

> Can sustained full saturation of the LAN be demonstrated in station to
> station communications?  Detail the method used to show this.

Are you trying to get someone to do your lab assignment or what?  Sure.
Fire off 4-5 ftp gets on each client == saturated LAN.

> The test LAN is a standard Fast Ethernet (100BaseTX) running though a
> small (5 port) 100BaseTX Hub with maximum station to station distances of
> Using this method the highest station to station rate I can hit is
> 3.5Megabytes/sec or only 28% of theoretic.  The method is clearly flawed

Are you running simultaneous tests?  Your hub is shared bandwidth.

> capable of delivering the required 12megabytes/sec, it is not clear
> whether either device can produce can produce a sustained transfer rate
> this high)  In a more extreme example using the same initiating machine

You should determined disk throughput for large sustained reads and
writes before testing the network.

> The first question that should be asked is "what is the overhead
> associated with the FTP protocol as a percentage of the actual
> throughput?"

Doesn't matter.  It's the fastest transfer protocol you have available.

> Second how can I facilitate a mem to mem transfer over this protocol (I

That's it.  This is CS201, architecture, subtopic "Networks".

Don't be a cheap ass always taking short cuts.  Read first, then ask
real questions in english.
--
timothymoore    "Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
bigfoot                                            WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: (Paul Chandler)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: 128 bits? I don't think so...
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:56:14 GMT

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 02:50:34 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Christopher B. Browne) wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 20:56:19 GMT, Michael V. Ferranti
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>>Here I was, minding my own business, and wouldn't you know it?
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Ord) just had to go and say:
>>
>>>I think this is the last move - 64 bits is big enough for everyone.
>>><chuckle>
>>
>>Didn't they say that about having 640KB of RAM? <grins>  The next Sony
>>Playstation's going to be a 128bit system, so I hear.
>
>Does this merely mean that they're going to have some 128 bit data registers?
>
>Or does this mean that they are going to have a linear 128 bit address space?
>
>The former would be quite useful for doing graphics, as it lets you
>stick lots of data into a register and essentially hit several pixels
>in parallel.  And while it may make good press, it doesn't mean that
>they actually have 128 bit addressing.
>
>There's very little value in greater than 64 bit addressing unless you
>actually plan to address more than 4 billion GB of data.  And that is a
>*ferociously* large number; the only folks that could be touching that
>kind of bulk would be those doing heavy duty high energy physics.
>
>And even with applications that require those sorts of quantities of
>data, access times on Very, Very Very Large Disk Arrays are such that
>it is likely that segmented addressing wouldn't hurt performance overly
>much...
>--
>"It has every known bug fix to everything." -- KLH (out of context)
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>

The processor is based on an abandoned MIPSRxxxxx design. The chip
already has support for 128-bit memory addressing and floating point
computations.  Typical of the game systems of the past, there will be
two seperate data bus sizes to differing chips.  The video bus is a
dual 64-bit path, while the RAM controller is 128-bit.  MIPS
processors are *usually* designed to take a zero performance hit when
using math of a higher complexity (i.e.: 32bit integer multiply
compared to 128bit integer multiply) NOTE: only applies to integer
math and not the FPU, whereas intel chips give a performance boost by
dropping back into 16-bit mode.

Sega started this crap with the Genesis proclaiming that it was a
"32-bit" unit.  Everyone, that isn't a total waste of human sperm,
should know that it is an extremely broad and generic term and
pointless "label" any system by its "bits".  A great example is RAMBUS
memory, used in SGI workstations, CRAY supercomputers, and the N64.
It is by far the fastest RAM technology today (don't even think about
mentioning PC-133, not even close).  It uses a high-frequency 8-bit
bus, because it is optimum.  I have seen numerous posts of people
proclaiming that PC-100 is better than RAMBUS because it has a wider
bus... this is an uneducated and inaccurate statement.

"bits", "megahertz", "megs", "gigs", "polygons", etc... are marketing
buzzwords simply thrown around by those that don't understand them.
Those of us that do, know that they give absolutely no indication of
anything important or measurable to the end-user.  Saying that a
console has a 64-bit processor, is the equivalent of saying that your
Hundai has a 3.045" diameter piston head, which is 0.0025" larger than
a Daihatsu.  What does it mean to anyone, and who cares?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.x.general
Subject: Re: Can't detect Adaptec AVA 1505
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:11:03 GMT

Hi,

>From my own experience, this card (AVA 1505 AI/AE) doesn't work well
with isapnp tools (isapnp will recognize this card but then the scsi bus
seems locked.). Exactly as Nils said, diabling PNP seems to be the trick
for this card. I have it working on 0x140 and irq 10, using aha152x as a
module (my system is RedHat 5.2). You have to make sure the jumper is
set correctly.

Next, if your kernel has aha152x built-in, you can use the lilo
aha152x=... line. Otherwise, you'll be using aha152x as a module, by
using modprobe. You don't need to use both lilo and modprobe.

Hope this helps,

- Ping

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RH 6.0 + Aiwa TD-8000 (scsi tape) = problems
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:52:31 GMT

I just hooked up a new Aiwa TD-8000 scsi tape drive to my RH 6.0 system
(with a 2940 OEM scsi adapter). I stuck a tape in the drive and tried
some mt commands. Not much works, and now I can't get the tape out of
the drive!

For example, if I try:

#> mt -f /dev/st0 rewind

I get:

/dev/st0: Input/output error

The same thing happens for other mt commands like unload and unlock.
All these commands result in the following log entry in
/var/log/messages:

<hostname> kernel: st0: Error 26030000 (sugg. bt 0x20, driver bt 0x26,
host bt 0x3)

/proc/scsi/scsi looks reasonable with:

[...deletia]
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
  Vendor: AIWA     Model: TD-8000        Rev: 0137
  Type:   Sequential Access              ANSI SCSI revision: 02
[deletia...]

Prior to getting the system to boot with the new tape drive, I turned
off "wide negotiation" for the tape drive. Also, the tape drive is in
the middle of the scsi chain and the devices on the ends are correctly
terminated.

Anyone out there have ideas on what's wrong?

Thanks,

Andy Turk

From: MBr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Hardware Page?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:51:39 +0200

"R.K.Aa" wrote:

> Matt Anderson wrote:
> >
> > I tried searching, and I know it exists because I've been there before.  But
> > I'm looking for a page that gives a big list of compatible hardware with
> > linux.  and it's not Linuxhardware.net that i'm looking for either, i've
> > already been there.  It seems to me that there was another page out there
> > somewhere.  Any pointers would be helpful...
>
> There's also:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/hardware/index.html
>
> --
> Step by step guide to TrueType fonts under RedHat6:
> http://home.powertech.no/rkaa/Linux_and_tv.html#ttf
>              To E-mail, delete "spam"

You could also try SuSE's hardware support database:
http://cdb.suse.de/cdb/english/
MBr

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (o.t)
Subject: Re: Creative Audiopci (es 1371 )  and midi
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:13:25 GMT

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:52:10 +0530, "parag" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>hello can anyone point to may how to get midi player of kde to play midi=
 on
>es1371 card.
>i am useing RH6.0 with 2.2.11 kernel. i can play wav files and audio cd =
but
>my midi files wont play! any help is appriciated

http://www.goice.co.jp/member/mo/timidity/index.html

http://www.cgs.fi/~tt/timidity/

kmidi (not kmid) from the KDE server

------------------------------

From: Mevacor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with HP 812C printer...
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:31:02 GMT

Uwe,

I selected the HP deskjet 500 / 600 series driver from the Red Hat Printer
Tool. Then, I restarted the LPD. When I tried to print out a test page of
either ASCII or Postscript, it still gives me the same error message on top
of the printed page. I am curious about the version of printer driver that
my Red Hat 5.2 has. Perhaps, it is different than yours. Furthermore, may
be I need to hand edit the printcap file in /etc. Any other suggestions
would be appreciated. TIA.

Kai

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:20:09 +0000
From: Warren Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: I need some help with overall stuff

Well, Linux is more of a command line operating system first, point &
click second.  There's a learning curve to get over first but once you
get the hang of it it's easy.

Windows programs won't run on Linux.  There are some emulators out that
will run Windows programs, but from my experience, not that great.
They're are either buggy as hell or slow and sluggish.  This is just my
opinion.

There are a lot of programs like Netscape and WordPerfect8 that are out
for Linux that work great, just like the Windows vertions, and a lot of
companies are starting to make software for Linux.

------------------------------

From: MBr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.general
Subject: Re: Internal Iomega Zip Drive Problems
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:18:47 +0200

JT wrote:

> I have an Internal Iomega Zip Drive 100.  I had it configured as an Atapi
> Zip drive and it worked great.  I recently got a CD/RW.  I set
> scsi/emulation on my system RH6.0 p2-450 128M  I set the fstab to
>
> /dev/sda          /mnt/zip        vfat     user,exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto 0
> 0
>
> When I mount it I get the following error:
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>
> I also tried mounting it as sda4 and it says:
>
> mount: /dev/sda4 is not a valid block device
>
> which means it doesnt exist
>
> As an atapi drive it mounted as hdb4.
> I reset the fstab to this and it didnt work it gave the following error
> message:
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb4,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>        (aren't you trying to mount an extended partition,
>        instead of some logical partition inside?)
>
> My CD-RW and CD-ROM both mount fine as scd0 and scd1.  I havent gotten the
> writer to write yet but it reads(cant get xcdroast to work quite yet).
> That is a different problem though I think.  The cd-rom works perfectly.
>
> They all seem to load fine in the dmesg
>
> Thanks
> JT

>                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Did you enable a password on the ZIPs? if so try SCSI emulation &

ziptool... It may not work on your drive, because on mine, it complains

about an unknown protection mode...

--
                "It may hurt my pride to be wrong once in a while, but I
                rather be flamed with better information than to be left

------------------------------

From: "Marout Yasuo Borms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Iiyama Vision Master Pro 510 A201HT
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:24:26 +0200

i don't know, but i did following for my VisionMasterPro 502 A102GT:

using SaX or xf86config, I entered de sinc ranges for horizontal and
vertical myself. and that works OK
these ranges are in the manual that comes with the screen and also you can
look them up at their website

Alexander Nareyek heeft geschreven in bericht ...

------------------------------

From: Jim McIllece <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 100BaseTX NIC recommendations?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:31:03 GMT

Probably the best thing to do is check the Redhat Hardware Compatibilit
List, if you're using Redhat.  It's at
http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/hardware/intel/60/rh6.0-hcl-
i.ld.html#toc3

3Com cards work well for me.

Jim

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: MBr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unusable space on 13.6GB hard-disk
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:40:15 +0200

Len Brown wrote:

> Scott Simpson wrote:
> >  Did you try having the BIOS try to find the disk geometry? What does it
> >  say?
>
> This has been bothering me -- the BIOS doesn't give any numbers for that
> disk (primary master), nor for primary slave. It does give correct numbers
> for secondary master. So if I have to specify the number of cylinders
> somewhere I'd just be guessing. How bad could this get if I guess wrong?
>
> (Primary master (hda) is 13.6GB, primary slave (hdb) is 13.1GB, and
> secondary master (hdc) is 1.6GB, and the BIOS is very recent, by the way.)

>                    http://www.searchlinux.com

>From what I can tell from this, it looks like your BIOS doesn't support
Extended Interrupt 13
(EXT INT13), this means your BIOS CMOS can't store the size of a drive bigger
than +/- 8gb,
try setting these drives to AUTO, so that the BIOS detects their size on
boot...
MBr

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: USB intellimouse in Linux
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:43:54 GMT

Hello,
USB support may be implemented soon, but as far as I know, currently
USB hardware is not supported in Linux, (I'm using Mandrake 6.0, M 6.1
is out as a beta?, SuSE is up to 6.2 currently).  If you are a "gamer"
don't get rid of Window$ yet, maybe in a year or two, (maybe sooner the
way linux is going, but you never know), as games for linux are few and
far between, and expensive (win version $20-30, linux version $40-60),
or simple "free" games.
Linux likes 3-button mice, you have a mark button, a paste button, and
a menu button, there is support for m$ intellimice (scrolling) but,
only PS/2 or serial versions are currently supported,  FreeBSD does
have USB support now.

gnu_user
"Linux, a GNU way of computing"
In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Fincher) wrote:
> Yes, I know it's microsoft, but I can't think of a better mouse for
playing
> quake3 with  :-).  But will it work with linux?
>
> And if there are better mice, what are they?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy
>
> ----------------------------------
> If i ever forget to capitalize a proper noun, forgive me.  i'm a big
fan of ee
> cummings
>
> My ICQ # is 28153190. My AIM/AOL name is either jemfinch02 or
Cassius80.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Using PCI expansion units?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 20:32:09 GMT

Does anyone have experience or advice about using PCI expansion units
under Linux? These are the standalone PCI backplanes w/ power
supplies that provide extra PCI slots. They connect the PCI two
buses via a card in each bus and a cable between them.

The one product that I have found (made by SBS) says that software
drivers are provided for Windows and Solaris. Would there be
expansion units which are transparent, to the extent that drivers
would not be needed? Alternatively, is there a product which
is supported for Linux?

Thanks,
Charlie

From: Didier Wiroth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:36:21 +0200

Hey,

VMWare is currently not supported with accelerated-x ver5 do you have a
workaround to the problem.

Many thanks
A client from Luxembourg - Europe
Didier Wiroth

------------------------------

From: JonB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.networking.general,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Int.Modem can't dial out to PPP connection
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 20:31:02 GMT

crossstick wrote:
> I am using Red Hat Linux 6.0 with a USR 56k Internal modem.No matter
what I
> try it will not dial out.

_First_, go into your BIOS settings at the startup screen (before you boot
into an OS), and disable PnP. Linux doesnt support PnP yet, and wont until
early 2000. l have a USR Internal Faxmodem, on which l also needed to set
the jumpers for the correct COM port (use your windows settings for the
IRQ and address)...watch Linux start up, it should say "16550A compatable
device found on ttyS1", or something along those lines. That "ttySx" is
your COM port (S0=com1, s1=com2.Dont try using COM3or4, its a pain in the
ass).  Once you have that set up, use pppd and a chat script and you
SHOULD get a dialout.  If not, you have a Winmodem, an it wont
work...you'll have to go buy a new modem to get online.

Good Luck,
Jon.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Didier Wiroth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need your opinions for buying a new "Graphic Adapter"
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:01:37 +0200

Hey,

I currently own an ATI Rage Fury 32mb. ATI really sucks, they currently
said they wouldn't release the sources for the 3d acceleration.
Accelerated-X ver 5 is the only X-server supporting the
adapter, but accelerated-x is not supported with vmware etc...

So I would like to buy a new graphic adapter but which one.

I would like an adapter which is and will be supported by the xfree86
team.

So which company actually releases it's sources. I need a "FAST" 32mb
graphic adapter with open/gl support for linux. Can you tell me your
experiences and direct me to different solutions.

Thanks a lot
Didier

------------------------------

From: less <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help with col2.2 and q3test on nvidia's drivers
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 20:31:03 GMT

The documentation specifically points out that 3d accelleration
only works in 15 and 16 bit deepth. Try changingthe depth
to  15 w/ Xconfigurator, XF86Setup or any other tool yu might use
for X configuration (or by manually changing Depth to 16 in your
XF86Config file).

Hope this helps!

Rgds,
Less