Linux-Hardware Digest #164, Volume #11            Thu, 2 Sep 99 11:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  Re: 8" floppy ("joe santapau")
  Re: History (Stephan Houben)
  Re: Unusable space on 13.6GB hard-disk ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  cdrom mounting problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: cdrom mounting problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Zip drive and Linux (Dean McBride)
  Can get 128M SDRAM to work with Mandrake ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Networking two computers ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  PCI/WIN modems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  3.5 drive turns into 5.25 drive!!! (Jim)
  Re: LCD display (Marcus Siegl)
  Re: 3.5 drive turns into 5.25 drive!!! (Tony Green)
  Re: Anybody tried Linux on Athlon yet? (Nils Remmers)
  feasability - mirror ide + raid-5 scsi (sw raid) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  memorex 1622 fixation problems (David A. Rogers)
  Re: Problems with NCR 710 SCSI controller and with Compaq Smart1 array ("Mike
Stanton")
  Re: modems?? (Mircea)
  Re: LPT scanner (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: X proggies don't connect to server...! (Jay)
  Re: memorex 1622 fixation problems (Bill Truesdell)
  Re: Laser printer recommend.. (Mark Bratcher)

From: "joe santapau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 8" floppy
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 07:33:06 -0400

I wish it were a vax machine, but it isn't, its one of those old word
processors with a z80 in it. OUCH !

the data seems relativley important to the customer and was alittle shocked
when he got an estimate from a data recovery place.

i merely told him that i would try, not knowing much about data recovery.
seemed that if i could get an image of the file (using dd)
i could write a util to extract the document ( or plain text ) one or the
the other.

------------------------------

From: Stephan Houben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: History
Date: 02 Sep 1999 14:19:59 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher) writes:

> On Thu, 02 Sep 1999 03:31:15 GMT, Julius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >The History of Linux from the beginning and how it's working compare with
>
> >other Operating Systems.
>
> ?????????????

Why the ??????? ?

The beginning of Linux hasn't really started yet and so far it's the only
*real* Operating System. ;-)

So the "History of Linux from the beginning and how it's working
compare with other Operating Systems" is indeed best summarized with
an empty line.

Stephan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Unusable space on 13.6GB hard-disk
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 11:44:29 GMT

Len-

Since you are obviously starting from scratch...and you now have a
kernel & fdisk that sees the drive...I would highly suggest deleting
the entire partition table an rebuilding it. The problems fdisk reports
CAN be problems in the future, i.e., when you go to write data on the
overlapping area in one partition, then delete it from another! This is
probly remnants of your previous difficulty when it thought it was the
wrong size drive.

-Dan

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: cdrom mounting problem
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 12:22:27 GMT

Hi,

I am a beginner in Linux. I have set up a Linux Redhat 6.0 OS in my
humble 166Mhz PC.
I have problem mounting my cdrom. I use the X windows' Disk Management
for easy mounting. I always get this error:

Error
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom, or too
many mounted files systems

I didn't encounter such problem last time. This problem started after
adding another mounting for one msdos drive.
It seems that I couldn't mount my floppy too. The same problem again.

Can anyone help me? How can I put things back to normal again?

Thanks.

yitping

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: cdrom mounting problem
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 12:31:51 GMT

Hi,

Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Any help and advice will be very much appreciated.

yitping

In article <7qlq5q$c65$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dean McBride)
Subject: Re: Zip drive and Linux
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 11:30:57 GMT

Hello Brian and Kenneth...

I've been scouring the net for you and i think that I have the
solution that you require...

I've found an excellent HOWTO that describes how to set up the
different types of ZIP Drive through the Kernel..

The web address is:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/ZIP-Drive.html

I hope that this proves of some help...

Cheers
Dean

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Can get 128M SDRAM to work with Mandrake
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 11:25:08 GMT

   I am running Linux Mandrake on a Celeron 400. I recently upgraded
from 64M of SDRAM to 128M. I have 70M of swap space. If I try to
append "mem=128M" to my lilo boot, the machine hangs on startup at

Freeing unused kernal memory 48k

   If I leave out the mem statement, then when I boot it only sees 16M
of RAM plus my swap space. My BIOS sees all of the RAM with no problem.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
-Thadd

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Networking two computers
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 12:18:43 GMT

Ahmed-

I would suggest you put a second ethernet card in one machine--the
desktop probably, of course--and use that to connect to the cable
modem. Then use private IPs for the local NICs. Run IPCHAINS with
masquerading on your Desktop and it will translate the private IPs to
the single IP that is valid to your cable modem. Check out:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html and
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade.html . There is also a
cable modem mini-howto:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Cable-Modem.html

I use just this arrangement, though I am using a hub (be sure to use a
cross-over cable if you are hooking up the two NICs directly.) I am
also using an ADSL modem instead of cable, but the concept is the same.

-Dan

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: PCI/WIN modems
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 12:49:55 GMT

I am looking for a new modem for my Linux box. I have looked at two pci
cards. One is Creative Modem Blaster, the other is US Robotics (2884
?). The sales person tells me that these are not winmodems (software).
I checked creative's site, and the card requires Windoz. Is it only for
the supplied voice software? Or ..... I couldn't find the 2884 at
Robotics (3com) site. Any info.

Thanks.

Suhail Qadeer

From: Jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: 3.5 drive turns into 5.25 drive!!!
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 13:31:06 GMT

I know it sounds stupid, but I have Win98 running on my computer and I
installed Caldera's Linux, with Partition Magic.  EVerything went great,
until I checked "MY COMPUTER" on Win98 and my 3.5 floppy drive turned into
a 5.25 drive.  MY BIOS was not changed.  Thats the first place I checked.
When I boot, and check my CMOS it says 3.5 1.44MB floppy...no problem.
When Win98 boots it shows 5.25, and I don't know how to fix it, and of
course I now have no 3.5 floppy to use....
any thoughts???
Thanks
Jim

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Marcus Siegl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LCD display
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 15:09:38 +0200

Hi

> I intend to use linux for industrial purposes. For this reason I need to
> have
> LCD display. How to handle this (graphics card, special adaptor)? What kind
> of display to use? Drivers? ...

In case you're searching for not VGA-resolution Displays, try:

http://lcdproc.omnipotent.net/screenshots.php3

Bye
--
Marcus Siegl
Tel.  : 07071-9457-408, Fax : 07071-9457-110

------------------------------

From: Tony Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: 3.5 drive turns into 5.25 drive!!!
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 14:45:12 +0100

You could try folding a 5.25 disk ..................

Ooopps - I thought this was comp.os.linux.hardware.useless.responces!

Sorry

TG

:-)

------------------------------

From: Nils Remmers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anybody tried Linux on Athlon yet?
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 14:45:27 +0200

Have a look at http://www.linux-magazin.de
--

Nils
--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: feasability - mirror ide + raid-5 scsi (sw raid)
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 13:12:19 GMT

hey,

 Here's one for the hardware experts: Using software raid, mirror 2-ide
drives for low-volatility files (/, /usr, /old-cycled-log-files) and
software raid-5 (or mirror) 2 or more scsi drives for heavy access files
(/html, /cgi-bin, /sqldatabase, /var)?

 Pros?
 Cons?

 Thanks for the input.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David A. Rogers)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software
Subject: memorex 1622 fixation problems
Date: 2 Sep 1999 13:24:03 GMT

I got my Memorex-1622 three months ago, but haven't had a whole lot of time to
play with it.  I made some audio disks early on without a hitch.  Now I'm
trying to write data disks and none of the four attempts has been successful.
They all fail during fixation.  I can't remember the brand of media I've been
using but they're blue on gold.

It seems to occur no matter what software or os I'm using.  I tried both
Windows with the software that came with the hardware and linux using
cdrecord.

I guess I'll try a different media.  But why would audio cds work fine and not
data cds?

Anything else to suggest?

Thanks,
dar

------------------------------

From: "Mike Stanton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with NCR 710 SCSI controller and with Compaq Smart1 array
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 23:55:50 +1000

It would seem that part of what you are looking for is here.

http://www.insync.net/~frantzc/cpqarray.html

Tony Platt provided this in response to another query and I have read
through the notes and it seems to be the correct driver but I have not yet
tried it myself as I am stuck on another problem. Hope it works for you!

Wim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7qg7h7$lj6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I tried to install linux on a Compaq proliant 1000 and a Compaq prosigma.
> I used Redhat 6.0, and Suse  6.1 but they just wouldnt detect my hardware.
> The proliant had a Smart1 array and the prosigma an NCR..... scsi card,
> I found on the internet that there could be problems with the NCR .....
card

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modems??
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 09:53:54 -0400

Roger Traywick wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for a good V90 external modem to work with linux.  I used
> several search engines but a lot of the linux hardware links are now
> defunct.
>
> I could sure use some recommendations for a modem with excellent
> price/features combination......
>
> Roger

Check http://www.pricewatch.com - if you go to modems/56k external,
you'll find a lot of them. I personally use the Phoebe 56k v.90 (model
v1456vqe) that Micro-Pro sells for $58, for more than 6 months, and are
completely satisfied with it.

MST

------------------------------

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LPT scanner
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 09:59:57 -0400

Tim,

Check the SANE page again. It does indeed support LPT scanners, although
perhaps not specifically the UMAX Astra 1220P. It might support
something that is compatible (uses the same chipset, etc).

Mark

------------------------------

From: Jay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X proggies don't connect to server...!
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 14:32:03 GMT

Thanks for the advice, is there anyway to set it up to automatically have the
'xhost + localhost', and the 'setenv DISPLAY :0' be the default ?   Thanks......

--
The Passed Pawn is a criminal, who should be kept under lock and key.

 Mild measures, such as police surveillance, are not sufficient. - Nimzovich

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 11:00:20 -0400
From: Bill Truesdell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Subject: Re: memorex 1622 fixation problems

"David A. Rogers" wrote:

> I got my Memorex-1622 three months ago, but haven't had a whole lot of time to
> play with it.  I made some audio disks early on without a hitch.  Now I'm
> trying to write data disks and none of the four attempts has been successful.
> They all fail during fixation.  I can't remember the brand of media I've been
> using but they're blue on gold.
>
> It seems to occur no matter what software or os I'm using.  I tried both
> Windows with the software that came with the hardware and linux using
> cdrecord.
>
> I guess I'll try a different media.  But why would audio cds work fine and not
> data cds?
>
> Anything else to suggest?
>
> Thanks,
> dar

My 1622 works fine with the NTI CD Maker Pro which came with it.
Have used it to copy audio cd's,wave files, cdroms, and files to
both cdr and cdrw. Win 95 with 75mhz cpu. All media I have tried
has worked.
Do you have latest updates? I know NTI has upgrades which are
essential or you will get bad burns. Check the memorex site. That
is where I found the need for upgrades to the machine and
software.
Bill T

--
If there is a zz before clinic.net, remove it to reply directly.

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Laser printer recommend..
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 10:36:11 -0400

I'll agree with Tony on the 5P or 6P suggestion. I have a 6L and
although it works great with Linux I am very disappointed with the very
wimpy fuser in it. You'll spend more having the fuser module serviced in
a 5L or 6L than you will on a 5P or 6P in the long run.

Mark