From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Building new Linux server - opinions
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 17:17:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Check whether your motherboard has an AGP slot.  If not, your choices
> for video card are very few.

I'm quite certain this board does have an AGP slot, if memory serves me
correctly (don't have the specs in front of me right now).

> Hmmmm, you're willing to pay the extra penny for the Xeon about (as
> compared to the P-III) but you aren't willing to spring for faster
> disk drives.  For many work loads, I suspect you would see a faster
> response for upgrading to 10k rpm disks and using a normal P-III (of
> course you will get the fastest by going for both Xeon and 10k rpm
> disks).

I'm glad you mentioned that.  I've thought about the 10K disks, but I
don't have a handle on much extra throughput I'd actually see when using
them on a 80Mb/s UW-SCSI-2.  I figured the 10K drives would pretty much
require that I use an Ultra SCSI-III (160Mb/s) interface to get the most
out of them (of course, I could be wrong about that assumption).

That said, I/O is *very* important to me - the database development work
I do is extremely disk-intensive.

> I have a pair of 10k rpm IBM disks in my system and they are fast.
> Note, 10k drives need cooling (more than the 7200 rpms),
> but the IBMs run cooler than the Seagate Cheatahs.

This was another of my concerns about 10k drives - heat & longevity.

> --
> Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
> PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886
> email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    phone: 978-486-9304 fax: 978-692-4482

Small world.  I'm in Leominster.

-Dave Pulaski
 Software Development Consultant
 email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Drew Northup" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: 128 bits? I don't think so...
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 18:39:23 GMT

> >compared to 128bit integer multiply) NOTE: only applies to integer
> >math and not the FPU, whereas intel chips give a performance boost by
> >dropping back into 16-bit mode.
Last I knew the float data type was 80 bits wide (64 bit # and 16 bit
exponent).  It is just a might difficult to proccess that in 16 bit mode.
My source is the latest intel architechture manual--what's yours?
Drew Northup, N1XIM

------------------------------

From: "Drew Northup" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: 3.5 drive turns into 5.25 drive!!!
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 18:47:00 GMT

Sounds like you have a problem with window$.  I'd contact their support
staff.  Another thing--are you using isapnp for linux?  It might be changing
a BIOS setting or two (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).
Drew Northup, N1XIM
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Drew Northup" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3COM ImpactIQ TA troubles
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 18:51:44 GMT

We need to know the part # of the card to be much help.
Drew Northup, N1XIM
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Recommendation for Color Printer?
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 16:53:46 +0200

Flash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good-quality, color printer, which works very
> well with RH 5.2, preferably around $250 or under.  It will just be for
> personal use, maybe 100 or 200 pages monthly.

You might want to check out the HP 880c. I make use of one and really like
the output. I donīt know if it is working as well under Linux. But apart
from that, it is a good start since it is no ,,trouble maker``, fast and
quiet!

Good luck,

Henrik

--
Henrik Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | http://www.chattia.com/Henrik.Becker
> powered by Linux, KDE and WindowMaker | This EMail is 100% Micro$oft FREE <
___________support_FREE_SOFTWARE_______www.kde.org_____www.linux.org_________

              The best things in life are free, but the
                expensive ones are still worth a look.

------------------------------

From: Jon & Jen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Can't Do This Anymore.
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 10:39:58 -0700

> 5.Very important, does Linux support files like txt jpg gif mp3 etc... I have a lot
>of pics and
> mp3's Well that's probably too many questions already, I'd really appreciate any
>help posted
> here or mailed to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yes, I got Linux to view all of the file extensions that you mentioned just fine.
Also if you have the money, go buy a 13 gig hard drive.  I got a Western Digital HD
and I have partitioned it into an 11 gig and 2 gig partition.  I loaded Linux on the
2 gig and Windows OSR 2.5 onto the 11 gig.  I read all my txt, gif, jpg, wav, and mp3
files just fine even tho they are stored in the other partition.

You also may want to search the web for Linux sites and bookmark them.

Good luck to you.

Jon Melusky

------------------------------

From: "Doug Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: VoiceSURFR 56 Internal modem
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 12:06:52 -0700

I am using Mandrake 6.0 and I can't get it to see my modem, can anyone tell
me if VoiceSURFR 56 Internal modem is a win modem? I checked at site
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html already and it is not listed.

Thanks for your help

------------------------------

From: "Doug Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VoiceSURFR 56 Internal modem
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 12:36:54 -0700

I forgot to mention that it was a Motorola modem

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Byron A Jeff)
Subject: Re: Buying new Linux Box; any hardware recommendations?
Date: 5 Sep 1999 16:19:58 -0400

In article <eleS4DQ3N6dS-pn2-UrT3FBcmkDTS@localhost>,
Ron Gibson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 20:19:00, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
-
-> Your 486-50 is getting creaky??  What does that make my
-> 486DLC-40???
-
-> - Processor: AMD K6-2/3d 450Mhz,   about $75.00.
-> Pentiums are more $$$, and Celeron's are Slower.
-> And I don't trust over-clocking.
-
-Here's one place to think hard about.  I started to do the same but
-opted instead for a PII-400 that are about $200 now.  Reason being
-you're running a 100 MHz buss vs 66 for Celerons and lesser processors.
-Also decided that Slot1/370 just had better resell value.

While the second reason may be valid I don't think the first is. Celeron
400 Mhz and up run on 100 Mhz buses, and AMD's definitely do (I'm running
my AMD K62/300 on a 112 Mhz bus with no problems.

-
-With the BX chipset I can go all the way up to a PIII-500 w/ the same
-mobo and higher as PIII-800's are expected out soon.  I just might need
-to flash the BIOS.

True. But honestly at what cost. I think 500 Mhz PIII's are running in the
$700 range right now.

-
-However, the AMD is a fast chip...

Very fast. And extremely inexpensive. I buy nothing but AMDs.

BAJ

------------------------------

From: David Cooley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Optimal Linux RAID Support? Questions.
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 16:23:16 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> It seems the RAID code was pulled from the released 2.2.12 code,
> if I understand what was being discussed on the RAID mailing list.
> On the one hand some folks say "it's been stable for a long time"
> yet it appears Linus wasn't happy enough with the patches being in
> the kernel so they were pulled.  Not scheduled to re-appear until
> a future 2.3.x flavor.  Some one please jump in here if this isn't
> exactly right!

The patches available for the raid code still don't run with 2.2.12...
Been trying it.  Finally downgraded to 2.2.5 and it's running fine.
I have 2 meta disk groups of 24G each under RAID5.  they give me 20G
useable.

My hardware config is:
SUN UltraEnterprise 2
dual 300MHz UltraII CPU's
256 Meg ram
dual internal 9G drives (System)
external SUN D1000 StorEdge array with 12-4.2G drives.

I'm currently running the raid code and SAMBA.  It has become the home
file server!

------------------------------

From: David Cooley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux 2.2.10 doesn't recognize > 64 MB memory
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 16:25:00 -0400

2.2.12 recognizes more than 64M automatically

------------------------------

From: Daniel Weber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: ISA NIC Card in RedHat6
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 18:37:24 GMT

Greg wrote:

> Dan Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > In comp.os.linux.hardware CyberBry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > : I recently installed Linux RedHat 6, and I'm having some trouble getting one
> > : of my NIC cards to work. During setup, RH detected and set up the PCI NIC
> > : that my internet connection runs off of, but didn't detect my ISA nic for my
> > : LAN. I've tried turning PnP on and off to no avail. I'm a real newbie here,
> > : so if someone could post instructions as to how to setup Linux to see/use my
> > : ISA card, I would greatly appreciate it.
> >
> > RH does not do any autodetection of ISA devices, since it is very
> > dangerous and can lock up the system.  Turning off PnP very little
>
> I'm not sure thats true, RH has autodetected various modems, serial
> boards, network cards, etc.. for me, both plain old ISA and PNP.
> True, it sometimes doesn't detect all ISA hardware all the time- but
> it does detect quite a bit.
>
> As to the original post, try adding the appropriate module to
> /etc/conf.modules, with the correct port setting.  (Or use Linuxconf
> to create it as eth1, supplying the same info).  Often thats enough
> for Linux to grab the card and deduce the IRQ (but you might have to
> supply that also).
>
> Gregm

I think they are talking about PnP support in the BIOS.  Every article I've read
has
recommended disabling PnP on your BIOS setup screen.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Byron A Jeff)
Subject: Re: WinModems
Date: 5 Sep 1999 16:39:07 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Steve Macras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is there any way to get a WinModem to work?

Of course there is. But the cost of doing so is prohibitive and the
alternatives are plentiful, easy, and relatively inexpensive.

Let me say it for the last time. Winmodems are designed as a hardware/software
packages that only runs under Windows. The chip/driver manufacturers of these
packages have not, and apparently will not, release enough information in
order to write effective drivers for their products. They see no real need
to do so at this point because the Windows market is overwhelmingly huge that
they need not target any other market.

The alternatives will probably put Winmodems, and all other modems, out of
business fairly soon. Cable modem and DSL are spreading at a rapid rate.

>Maybe somebody is writing a emulator or something

There's one last thing you've missed in all of this, the performance of the
devices suck.

So let's add it up. We have a device that has poor performance, manufacturers
unwilling to provide specifications, and easy alternatives as replacements.

In this instance the Win in Winmodem is legit, it only runs under Windows
and that most likely will not change in the near future.

BAJ

------------------------------

From: Didier Vidal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: GMX2000 graphics card
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 22:48:15 +0200

Does anyone knows what is this card ?
It is the card  for which Precision Insight (www.precisioninsight.com)
is
currently developping there "DRI"  3D direct rendering (free) product

Thanks in advance

Didier

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: An interesting modem problem... NOT
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 17:29:57 GMT

David Robb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hello,

>I have a Jaton Communicator v.90 ISA internal modem (Cirrus 5650
>chipset, hardware DSP and all). The modem has been verified as working
>under Windows.

...which doesn't mean a thing.

>It is installed at the very standard COM2 - IRQ3, port
>0x2f8.

This can only be correct if you manually disabled the onboard
COM2 port in your BIOS. Linux isn't a PNP OS, therefor you'll
have to make sure that the resources needed are really available
and assigned to the device in question.

>I run S.u.S.E. Linux (the newest release v6.2). Linux appears to see the
>uart correctly as a 16550AN.

Good. Real modem.

>I have an interesting symptom in minicom: the modem responds to AT
>commands very slowly, and 16 characters at a time... hmmm sounds like
>the size of a 16550 uart buffer eh?

[...]

No. IRQ conflict, which is the result of not disabling either the
onboard COM2 port or not using isapnptools (in case this is a PNP
modem). RTF Serial-HOWTO .

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Confusion about modems, please help
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 19:57:43 GMT

Hi all,

Ok so I just got a new dell computer and installed red hat 6.0
on the machine.  I then spent a few hours on the various news
groups trying to figure out what kind of modem I should buy.
Well, I am completely confused.  From the compatiblity guide I
infer that all external modems connected to the serial port should
work.  However I read a post from someone that there is a catch
here too.  Some external modem are also win modem and expect the
software to do stuff so will not work with linux.  So I trotted
over to COMP USA to review their selection of modems.  Almost all
the modems were marked for windows 98 95 or NT.  Only the Viking
56k external modem said it would work with DOS And 3.11 as well.
However this modem requires that you run some software to configure
and install it.  How could this work with Linux?  That means that
I would need to get the software from the manufacturer for Linux,
correct? So I finally settled on a Hi-Val 56K Speedtastic external
modem for $90.  However the box said that it is for 98 or NT, and
is plug and play. From what I gather from the newgroup this
is not good(though it may work).  Is this modem compatible?  I still
havent openned the box yet and can return it if it is not!!!  Do
I need to do something special to set it up ?  Is there  a FAQ of
some kind about this?

Many Many thanks,

Subuddh