Linux-Hardware Digest #196, Volume #11            Mon, 6 Sep 99 23:13:36 EDT

Contents:
  Modem and Video card support ("Keith")
  Linux kernel compile problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How can user make,delete or move file and derectory? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Modem and Video card support (Rob Clark)
  HP LaserJets -- Linux Compatability? ("Robert C. Paulsen, Jr.")
  Re: Help!  I screwed up fstab kernel panics (John Doe)
  Re: Linux 2.2.10 doesn't recognize > 64 MB memory (John Doe)
  Best PC for Linux Mandrake ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: forse loading scsi_mod.o and aha_1542.o (John Doe)
  Re: Linux kernel compile problem (Kaz Kylheku)
  Suse 6.2 Hard Disk Installation Error, 'Can't Find Image !'? ("Allix")
  Re: Suse 6.2 Hard Disk Installation Error, 'Can't Find Image !'? (Spike!)
  Re: SuSE 6.2  + NetScape (Spike!)
  Re: video card problems  ("John Wilcox")
  Re: Diamond Supra Express 56 locking up (Hal Burgiss)
  Re: Can I delete files of TMP directory in RedHat6.0 ? (Byron Miller)
  Problems with modem Hayes (Richard Ribeiro)
  Re: Can I compile the kernel using a cc other than gcc? (H. Peter Anvin)
  Re: making linux go away (Tom Taylor)
  Re: Sound Blaster PCI512 (Randy Wilkinson)

From: "Keith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem and Video card support
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 09:43:33 +1000

Hi,

    I'm planning on installing Linux-Mandrake 6.0 soon. I want to know if my
internal modem a Taicom MR56PVS 56000 is going to be ok (how can I tell if
it is dependant on Window$ software - there's no mention of winmodem in
manual?).

    Also, I don't think my video card is fully supported by XFree86.3.3.3.1.
Its a S3 Trio64V2 and its using the same type of chipset. I think though
that it is supported by the newest version of XFree but I'm not sure.

    Should I just get Mandrake 6.0 (which comes with XFree86.3.3.3.1) and
specify SVGA for the type or hope that the 'auto probe' finds the driver, or
just wait for 6.1 (any idea's on when it will probably come out? (right
after RedHat6.1 comes out I suppose, but a month, 2, 6???).

Thanks in advance,
Keith.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,fa.linux.kernel,comp.lang.c
Subject: Linux kernel compile problem
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 00:03:44 GMT

I am trying to compile Kernel 2.2 from the RedHat 6.0 distribution.
All goes well during the "make boot" until the end, or at least I think
it's near the end where the kernel is compressed.  The process stops at
this point:

  make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-2.2.4/arch/i386/boot'
  gcc -D__kernel__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.2.5/include -E -traditional
  -DSVGA_MODE=NORMAL_VGA  bootsect.S -o bootsect.s
  as86 -0 -a -o bootsect.o bootsect.s
  make[1]: as86: Command not found
  make[1]: ***bootsect.o bootsect.s
  make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.2.5/arch/i386/boot'
  make: *** [boot] Error

Could this be caused by a problem in my configuration?  I'm thinking
the as86 line should read should read "gcc aas86...".
I've tried "make zImage" and "make bzImage" as well.
Any advice on why this may be happening would be appreciated. Thanks in
advance.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: How can user make,delete or move file and derectory?
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 00:14:57 GMT

The question I have for you is:
1.) What are the permissions of the directory these files are
contained within and who owns it(the directory) and the files?

I would also suggest that you would want to create a group which you
would place all users who you want to give access in this group

vance

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Modem and Video card support
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 00:22:25 GMT

In article <FnYA3.59$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Keith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    I'm planning on installing Linux-Mandrake 6.0 soon. I want to know if my
>internal modem a Taicom MR56PVS 56000 is going to be ok (how can I tell if
>it is dependant on Window$ software - there's no mention of winmodem in
>manual?).

That's a tricky one, because Taicom uses MR56PVS as part of the name of
many modems.  Please check the list at:
  http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
in the "FEL" section.

I realize you're in AU, but it may have an FCC registration number anyway.
If yours matches one of the modems marked "?", please follow up with the
numbers on the Rockwell(?) chip and whether it is ISA or PCI, jumpers or
not, etc.

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Robert C. Paulsen, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP LaserJets -- Linux Compatability?
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 19:40:25 -0500

Hello,

I am considering a couple of HP LaserJet printers and hope I can get
some advice.

Is anyone familiar with the HP LJ 1100 and the HP LJ 2100se? Can
they be made to work with Linux? If so, how?

Thanks!

Robert Paulsen                         http://paulsen.home.texas.net
If my return address contains "ZAP." please remove it. Sorry for the
inconvenience but the unsolicited email is getting out of control.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Doe)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Help!  I screwed up fstab kernel panics
Date: 6 Sep 1999 20:40:06 -0500

If rescue disk is broken make another.  Red Hat for instance
has rescue image on cd and their ftp site.

On Sat, 4 Sep 1999 22:34:36 -0400,
 Tom Baldridge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Help!

..
..
..

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Doe)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux 2.2.10 doesn't recognize > 64 MB memory
Date: 6 Sep 1999 20:43:41 -0500

You can run
        free

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Best PC for Linux Mandrake
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 00:03:28 GMT

I'm looking for the best value spec in a high-end Linux PC (I use
Mandrake 6.0 - wonderful product). My 486 is being retired. I have read
various HowTo's and I guess the issues boil down to AGP cards and other
components. I want a system to do netcam, tv and radio, voice over the
net and quake 2 & 3. Is there a single video card for that lot (Voodoo
3500 TV ???)

The following I decided on, more or less, feel free to object:

P3 @ 450MHZ (overclock to about 600Mhz)
512K L2 cache (is more cache significantly better?)
128M fast SDRAM
8G+ Ultra IDE Disk
Soundblaster 64 (recommendations ?)
nVidia TNT 16M AGP graphics card (recommendations ?)
CD-RW (recommendations ?)
3com 905 10/100 ethernet (recommendations ?)
19" or 21" monitor (recommendations ?)

I see DELL/GATEWAY flamed a lot and some video card makers who don't
support open source. I'm in London, UK so if you can recommend a good
local vendor from personal experience, please do. Any and all advise
appreciated.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Doe)
Subject: Re: forse loading scsi_mod.o and aha_1542.o
Date: 6 Sep 1999 20:34:38 -0500

Maybe you want to add appropriate lines to your
/etc/conf.modules file.  Mine has

        alias scsi_hostadapter fdomain

I have future domain isa controller, hence fdomain.
I use red hat 6.0.  Yours may be different.

Another solution is don't turn off your machine; then
you just have to load it once in your lifetime:)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kaz Kylheku)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,fa.linux.kernel,comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Linux kernel compile problem
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 00:38:20 GMT

On Tue, 07 Sep 1999 00:03:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Could this be caused by a problem in my configuration?  I'm thinking
>the as86 line should read should read "gcc aas86...".

No, the problem is that you are missing /usr/bin/as86, the assembler for 16 bit
8086 code. This is needed for compiling important startup code in the kernel
that runs before everything kicks into 32 bit protected mode.

In other words, you are missing at least one part of the toolchain that is
needed to build the kernel.

------------------------------

From: "Allix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x,comp.windows.x,linux.redhat.ppp
Subject: Suse 6.2 Hard Disk Installation Error, 'Can't Find Image !'?
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 18:09:33 -0400

Using rawrite I created  a boot disk using the eide1 image and booted into
the installation. Eventually I got to
the part of the installation that asks me to locate where the files are. It
first asks for the hard disk which i put as /dev/hda1 and then the location
of suse , which i put as /suse (and have tried many variations and also
other folders in /suse), but i always get the error :

"can't find image !", Anyone know what this means ?

------------------------------

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x,comp.windows.x,linux.redhat.ppp
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 01:17:47 +0100

In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.misc, Allix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:
> Using rawrite I created  a boot disk using the eide1 image and booted into
> the installation. Eventually I got to
> the part of the installation that asks me to locate where the files are. It
> first asks for the hard disk which i put as /dev/hda1 and then the location
> of suse , which i put as /suse (and have tried many variations and also
> other folders in /suse), but i always get the error :

I've not seen this before, but if it's asking for the location of SuSE,
surely /cdrom would be the correct response?

(You did select INSTALL from CDROM didn't you?)

| [EMAIL PROTECTED] |                                                |
|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   | "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"         |
|             in            | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!!|
|      Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                  |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SuSE 6.2  + NetScape
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 00:00:14 +0100

And verily, didst Don Bulloch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
> Hello, I have a little problem with Netscape 4.6 that came with SuSE 6.2.
> About fifty percent of the time
> that I logon Netscape can not find my ISP (mail server, news server). The
> rest of the time it works fine.
> I get a message that other accounts may be using netscape, but there are no
> other accounts on my
> stand alone machine. I am logging on as 'root'.

Does it mention a lock?
If so, that probably means a previous session of netscape was uncleanly shut
down, and the lock file remained. You can remove it simply by

rm .netscape/lock

Everything should run normally after that.

| [EMAIL PROTECTED] | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"  |
|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   |                                                |
|             in            | "I think so brain, but this time, you control  |
|      Computer Science     |  the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..." |

From: "John Wilcox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: video card problems
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 20:17:45 -0500

Alexander Mundy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:wXFz3.615$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hello all,
> I am very new at linux (trying hard though).  I had linux up and running
and
> XFree86 working.  I installed a new video card (my old one is on the
> motherboard with no way to disable in the BIOS or on the hardware).   I
try
> to run Xconfigurator and it keeps having a problem with the new card (it
is
> compatable with the Mach64 server), just as a test, I tried to run startx
> and it appears from the error, that it is still looking for the old card.
> Here is my question:
>
> How do I tell linux or Xfree86 to use my PCI video card and not the
onboard
> one?  If you tell me I need to edit a file (which i think i will have to),
> can you tell me the path to the file (still a newbie).
>
> Thanks in advance.
> -AM

    I, too, am having the same problem, I have a p-166 Packard Smell "Bell"
With a PB680 MB, and Red Hat recignizes my Secondary Video Card
"One that is built onto the motherboard", but, totally ignores my Voodoo3
2000 Video Board, it doesn't even put it under vga UNLESS I do an expert
Installation, and then I can only choose VGA.  If I were to choose
SVGA Durring installation,  I  then get  a 320x240 screen which I can't
 navigate.  Can someone PLEASE tell me what the problem is and how I can
correct it?

John Wilcox
If CON is the Opposite of     PRO
Woudn't that make
  CONgress the opposite if PROGRESS?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Diamond Supra Express 56 locking up
Date: 6 Sep 1999 20:10:04 -0500

On Mon, 06 Sep 1999 14:46:50 GMT, Michael Perry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Im curious if others have run into this problem and their solutions.  I
>have a diamond supraexpress 56i modem (isa model) which has performed
>superlatively for about 2 years now.  Now if my ISP forces a
>disconnect, or dialing somehow hoses itself, gnome-ppp or wvdial do not
>appear to release the device correctly.  Future attempts usually end
>with the modem staying locked up solid. I have tried waiting for the
>modem to reset itself but this ends with failure also.
>
>I am using the 2.2.10 kernel, redhat 6.

Hey! Sounds like the same problem I had after upgrading from 5.1 to 6.0,
but mine was external SupraExpress 56. I am almost sure it is something
in ppp that is not restoring the modem lines in an abnormal shutdown.
The only way I could get it back was to start minicom, and then exit
*without* resetting the modem. Either that or reboot, which I hate
doing. I chased this 'bug' on numerous news groups and mailing lists and
never got a satisfactory answer. I filed a bug report with RH, FWIW. It
seems that its pretty obscure though, so I don't know a good, permanent
solution.

Someone did send me some C code that fixes this for me. Contact me
privately if you think you might want it. You would need to put it in
your connect script. There some other stuff you'll need to do too, not
too complicated though.

I'll send you more details if interested. But I've tried everything
under the sun, and the above solutions are the only things that worked
for me.

Sure sounds like the same problem. Try the minicom thing and see if that
helps.

--
Hal B
            Linux helps those who help themselves

------------------------------

From: Byron Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can I delete files of TMP directory in RedHat6.0 ?
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 21:20:42 -0400
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux

On 6 Sep 1999 15:37:53 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jack) wrote:

>Hi,
>there will be a directory called tmp in the Linux RH6. the number of files
>in this directory increased by and by, can I delete files in this
>directory.
>Thank you very much!
>
>Jack

you shouldn't have any problems cleaning up this directory. But be
carefull, i would do an "init S" to go into single user mode, that way
when you delete some files, it won't cause any programs to freak out.

often programs store temp data there, lock files and what not, so its
always best to go into single user mode to clean it up.

-byron

Byron Miller Consulting | http://www.reliabilityfactor.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | Voice: (717) 397-7020

------------------------------

From: Richard Ribeiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems with modem Hayes
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 20:52:05 -0300

Hi,
        I'm trying to use modem Hayes 56K Int Speakerphone Modem in Linux Rad
Hat 6.0, but the O.S. couldn't find it. I've tryied use isapnp, pnpdump
and wvdial, but all the things doesn't work. Anybody can help me?

        Thanks.

        Richard

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H. Peter Anvin)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Can I compile the kernel using a cc other than gcc?
Date: 6 Sep 1999 22:12:16 GMT

Followup to:  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
By author:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Randall Parker)
In newsgroup: comp.os.linux.development.system

> In article <7pqvso$k6r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> says...
> > Hmmmm, how many of those extensions are used in arch-independent code,
> > I wonder?  And I know some GNU extensions (__attribute__ comes to mind)
> > were designed to be easy to dispose of in the preprocessor if needed.
> > Some (like typeof) obviously are not.
>
> IMO, the kernel should be gradually migrated to eliminate non-portable
> extensions.

Newsflash: you *can't* write a kernel without non-portable
extensions.  Why?  Because writing a kernel isn't in the scope of the
C standard (in fact, the C standard doesn't let you do any form of I/O
except by calling the library -- fine, now, how do I write the
library?).  There are just too many places where you HAVE to know what
the compiler is going to do with your code (which is nonportable) to
be able to implement a kernel "portably".

        -hpa

--
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> at work, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in private!

------------------------------

From: Tom Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: making linux go away
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 21:59:10 -0400

General rule is: use DOS FDISK for the Windows partition and Linux fdisk for the
Linux part.  Since Windows wants to be on the first partition you have to start
with the DOS version first.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Randy Wilkinson)
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster PCI512
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 03:01:34 GMT

On Sun, 05 Sep 1999 15:27:32 GMT, Tali Zvi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am trying to configure my new SB to work with Red Hat 6 woth no
>success.
>
>The card is Sound Blaster PCI512. I tried to use  any SB option in
>sndconfig and I tried also to change the IRQ/DMA configureations but I
>couldn't make it work.

You gotta use the beta drivers from Creative's FTP site.  Your PCI512
card uses the Emu 10k sound chip (the same as used by the SB Live).
The newest beta driver  "emu10k1-0.3b.tar.gz" meant for the SB Live
will work with the PCI512.  At least, it does for me.

Randy