From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (erik)
Subject: How to correct "aborting command due timeout"
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 00:18:30 GMT

Dear Sirs,

I have one Linux 2.0.35 ( Slackware ) installed on a SCSI controller
Adaptec 2940W, and it gives me the following error when I use the
tar to have one backup on my SCSI DAT Tape:
"aborting command due timeout".

Any solutions ?

I have the same trouble with a 2.2.6 ( Slackware ) on SCSI EISA
controler Adaptec 2740.

The same message ?

I have checked terminators and cable, both worked very well
with SCO Unix Openserver 5.04.

TIA,

Erik

From: Tom Brinkman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.hardware.arch.intel,redhat.general
Subject: Re: 3DFX Voodoo3 3000 supported?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 18:43:35 +0000

f5alcon wrote:

> Is the Voodoo3 3000 card supported in Red Hat Linux 6.0 without
> downloading drivers because I have no internet connection in linux?

        I'll assume you have a CD since you don't have a connection.
Look'n see if they aren't on the CD.  They are on the Mandrake 6 CD
(under  apps/   I believe).

        Tom Brinkman       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Joe Wells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Canon BJC-50 portable color printer and ASF-50 auto sheet feeder
Date: 08 Sep 1999 18:56:25 -0400

I have a Canon BJC-50 portable color printer and a Canon ASF-50 auto sheet
feeder.  I am using the printer with a Toshiba Libretto 100CT running Red
Hat Linux 5.0 with Ghostscript upgraded to version 5.10.  I set up a print
queue as though the printer were a BJC-600.

Printing to the BJC-50 works fine when I feed sheets manually.  When
I connect the auto sheet feeder to the printer and try to print, nothing
happens at all.  According to the ASF-50 manual, I am supposed to change a
the paper feed driver setting from "manual feed" to "auto feeder".
However, these instructions apply to the driver for Microsoft Windows.

Can someone please tell me what I should do under Linux to have the same
effect?  Is there some command code I can send to the printer?  If so,
what is the code?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

--
Joe Wells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "John Wilcox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: video card problems
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 20:33:38 -0500

John Wilcox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:uXZA3.7413$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Alexander Mundy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:wXFz3.615$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Hello all,
> > I am very new at linux (trying hard though).  I had linux up and running
> and
> > XFree86 working.  I installed a new video card (my old one is on the
> > motherboard with no way to disable in the BIOS or on the hardware).   I
> try
> > to run Xconfigurator and it keeps having a problem with the new card (it
> is
> > compatable with the Mach64 server), just as a test, I tried to run
startx
> > and it appears from the error, that it is still looking for the old
card.
> > Here is my question:
> >
> > How do I tell linux or Xfree86 to use my PCI video card and not the
> onboard
> > one?  If you tell me I need to edit a file (which i think i will have
to),
> > can you tell me the path to the file (still a newbie).
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > -AM
> >

>     I, too, am having the same problem, I have a p-166 Packard Smell
"Bell"
> With a PB680 MB, and Red Hat recignizes my Secondary Video Card
> "One that is built onto the motherboard", but, totally ignores my Voodoo3
> 2000 Video Board, it doesn't even put it under vga UNLESS I do an expert
> Installation, and then I can only choose VGA.  If I were to choose
> SVGA Durring installation,  I  then get  a 320x240 screen which I can't
>  navigate.  Can someone PLEASE tell me what the problem is and how I can
> correct it?
>

> John Wilcox
> If CON is the Opposite of     PRO
> Wouldn't that make
>   CONgress the opposite if PROGRESS?

    Is there anyone out there that knows what the problem is?  If so, then
PLEASE post a reply stating what the problem is and if possible, how to fix
this problem.  Thank you in advance.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.arch.storage
Subject: Re: which to buy USB zip or RW-CD
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 22:00:16 GMT

In article <7r29pc$8ij$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Bil  Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've got both a Zip and a CDRW.  For backing up,  CDRW is clearly the
way to
> go, but Zip certainly has its advantages, too.  Although my CDRW has a
> feature called "file CD" which supposedly lets you drag and drop
files off
> the CDRW as easily as with a Zip or floppy, the files aren't always
> recognized by other CD or DVD drives, and the transfer time is
actually much
> slower than the Zip.  My Zip happens to be an ATAPI device, so that
would
> explain the speed advantage  it has over my 2x CDRW, but there is
still
> "preliminary" writing that must be done to clean deleted files off
the
> CDRW.  Also, a clean format of a CDRW takes quite a while; sometimes
45
> minutes.
>
> My favorite is the Zip.
>
> Randy Crawford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > H Paynter wrote:
> > >
> > >    I need some more storage space for my lap top. Does anyone
know which
> is
> > > better to use a USB zip drive or a RW-CD.  I remember reading
somewhere
> that
> > > using a USB port is not the best for data storage devices, is
this true?
> Has
> > > anyone used the USB zip drive, comments.    Thanks    Hank
> >
> > I have a USB Zip and it has worked fine.  As I recall, USB supports
> > something like 1.5 MB/sec of data transfer, so it's more than enough
> > for a standard CD-R, CD-RW, or zip.  Since CD R/W only writes at
maybe
> > 4X, USB should be fast enough.
> >
> > I'm considering buying a USB CDRW myself (Zip just isn't big enough
> > for backups, and CD RW media can be bought for as little as
$2.50/US$
> > each).
> >
> > Has anybody had any experience with CD R/W and USB?  Especially in
Linux?
> > (BTW, I'm mirroring this message to comp.os.linux.hardware.)
> >
> > --
> > Randy Crawford
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > http://www.engin.umich.edu/labs/cpc
>
> I'm gonna have to go with a CD-RW here.  Only buy a Zip drive if you
only need to store very small amounts of information or need
compatibility with a school or workplace.  Otherwise, buy a CD recorder!
With a CD-RW, you can make audio CDs, copy programs, or just store data.
Also, Zip disks are OUTRAGOUSLY expensive. $10-$15 for 100MB with a Zip
or $1 for a 650MB CD-R and $3-$10 for a 650MB CD-RW.
  If you do decide to go with a CD-RW, DO NOT buy a USB one!  I can't
stress that enough. USB should be fast enough to write a CD, but
bandwidth is not the only factor.  USB speeds are very unstable. I've
seen cases where they work fine, but I've also seen cases where people
lose 7 out of 10 burns.  For your laptop, I recommend a PCMCIA CD-
Burner.  That's right, they make recorders that plug in to the laptop
card slots. The only one I've seen thus far is a 4x4x20 made by EXP.
CompUSA sells them for $300-$330.f
Good luck! Hope I helped.

Adrian Sanabria

From: "Gabriel L. Somlo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: What to buy for kick-ass system upgrade ?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 16:52:32 -0600

Hi, folks...

Guess it's time for me to upgrade my computer, and I could use all the
hints
and advice I can get...

First of all, the bits and pieces I can/want to salvage from the old
system:

  - BusLogic BT958 SCSI controller (PCI), with all the SCSI stuff hangig
off
    of it :)
  - LinkSys 10/100 Ethernet PCI card (sweet thing, Linux is even
mentioned on
    the box :) )
  - Ensoniq AudioPCI soundcard
  - ISA modem (old fashioned, with jumpers, slow but good for what I
need it
    for... :) )

I think I need to get the following:

  - Dual CPU motherboard + 2 processors. Here is where I need your help:
    remember reading somewhere a while ago about an ASUS board that was
capable
    of taking two 300 Celerons (or something like that) and allowed you
to use
    them both, and to overclock them directly from the bios without
jumpers.
    Could you please tell me what I'm REALLY looking for (i.e. how to
get a
    sales droid at your average mail-order joint to send me the stuff I
really
    want :) :) :)

  - A new video card. If the mobo has AGP, should I go for an
AGP-enabled
    videocard, and which one ? This is the area I'm most terribly out of
date
    at... I want to play the Linux version of Quake 3 when it comes out,
and I
    want it to kick ass. So go ahead -- I'm taking votes... :)

  - I want a full-tower 300W-powered ATX (I guess that's what the
motherboard
    will be, right? ) case. It should be nice, whith sliding panels and
stuff,
    and plenty of room to keep my lard-ass old-fashioned full-height
SCSI drive
    from catching fire :)  I've looked at cases, and they can cost
anywhere
    from $50 to $500 :) My range would be from $70 to $90 :) :) :)
There's
    got to be a case in that price range that's not just a 6-faced box,
and
    actually has some thought put in its design about how the air will
flow
    on the inside... :)

Any other suggestions or reasons why the above wishlist is smart/stupid
are
welcome.

Thanks,

Gabriel

PS. Faked my email to ward off spam. In case you want to email me
personally,
    please remove all UPPERCASE chars from my email address...

------------------------------

From: M.C. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help with modem installation
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 01:31:12 GMT

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your reply with isapnptools.  It'll certainly give me a start
 to getting the problem fixed.

Yours,
M. Carpenter.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Help with SCSI errors, timeouts, and resets.
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 02:13:30 GMT

I have a computer with a built-in Adaptec AIC-7895 and recently I have
been getting a bunch of SCSI errors after a few minutes of use of my
SCSI drives. The AIC-7895 is dual channel and I have 7 SCSI devices on
one channel (all external) and 1 SCSI HD on the other channel
(internal).

At first I thought that the problems might be due to one or more dying
HD in the external group since a few of them are quite old (more than 5
years). BUT, then I started to see that sometimes I also get errors on
my internal drive with a HD that is only 1.5 years old. Also, even
odder, is that I sometimes get an error where it can't access a device
that is described as (-1,-1,-1). Often this error will appear many
times (hundreds) very quickly and will sometimes end with a kernel
panic.

So, how can I diagnose this further? I already turned on verbose SCSI
message from the kernel configuration and that didn't really tell me
any more info. I have also unmounted all of my drives except for the 1
internal (the root drive) and one of the externals. I don't know if
this will make a difference and I don't know what it will tell me if it
does make a difference.

Finally, I also ran all of my disks through the Adaptec BIOS verify
disk media check utility. They were all clean.

--Rainer

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Using linuxconf question
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 01:55:52 GMT

Hey to all,
Thanks for info on installing ISA network card and directing me to the
HowTo's.  Finally was able to detect the ISA network card in Linux.
I'm a Newbie and have installed RH Linux 6.0 as the only OS on system.
I am now trying to setup the protocols for card so I can connect with
other systems in my Home Area Network.  Will I be able to see the
Linux machine on my other puters using Windoze?  When I try to use
Linuxconf I go to the IPX to enable card, but I'm not able to activate
because Linuxconf drops below the end of screen.  How in the heck do I
move the Linuxconf up so I can get it to activate?  This may seem like
a silly question but Linuxconf is not maximized and takes up whole
screen anyway.  I am using an 800x600 resolution.  Also, we have a
cable modem connected to a hub with 4 puters plugged in.  Will I be
able to access the cable modem with Linux?  If so, how?  Thanks to all
for any response.

From: Mark Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Q? - best combo of linux distrib and apps for 3rd world
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 02:34:52 GMT

<snip>

I suggest an old version of Debian/Slack or maybe even a GPL RedHat.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Intel 810 motherboard Linux problem
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 03:00:52 GMT

128M of SDRAM, Linux sees only 16M RAM. The BIOS
sees 128M.

Running RedHat 6.0, upgraded the kernel to 2.2.12,
installed the latest Intel BIOS upgrades.

No change, still 16M (of 128M). If I try
"append"ing memory via lilo, the kernel panics
during boot.

Any suggestions?

                        Thanks, Jim Snyder

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (OldUncleMe)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: EZ-BIOS and LILO
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 02:11:05 GMT

It was: 7 Sep 1999 14:59:57 GMT  and with STARTLING insight,
"[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)"
  posted "Re: EZ-BIOS and LILO"
 to "comp.os.linux.setup" :

-->>Make that 1020 for Microsoft and 3 cylinders for the linux /boot partition.
-->>Then you won't have any lilo problems, provided, of course, that the kernel
-->>file is in the /boot file system instead of in the root file system.

-->The three cylinders for Lilo is a convenience, but not a neccessity.
-->If you're installing Microsoft on cylinders 1-1023,
-->the directory C:\LINUX\LILO is a workable place for bzImage, message, map,
-->chain.b, and boot.b.  The lilo installer and the LILO boot loader can
-->find things on an msdos or vfat partition.

-->If you mount C: as vfat, give the files 8+3 character uppercase names.

-->Cameron

Hey, thanks! That sounds like a great deal.  I've run into the 1024 cyl
problem too often with today's large/cheap drives.  Seems like every Linux
box I've put together is multiboot, too.  I'd like to get into multiple
Linux installations on one box, and if this scheme works then I can see
making a chain of hidden/system directories with images from installation,
and my own compiles.

Thing is, how do you go about all this?  I mean, I could see mounting the
fat or vfat volume in linux, moving the necessary files, and updating lilo
and rerunning, all in a linux boot.  But how do you do it in the first
place?  From the installation step I mean.  Just go ahead and install to
partition at greater 1024 cyl and then reboot from a boot floppy, perform
the surgery, set lilo, run it, and all goes well from there?  Think this
setup would allow mounting a root " / " that is on /dev/hd c or d?  What
values are we setting in lilo?  (I guess that is apparent fromt the man
lilo and lilo.conf files....  Thanks for more info;  have you done it
successfully?                   /ts

              tenox  @  home  dat   com

------------------------------

From: "Flávio Moringa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to configure modem
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 02:22:20 +0100

It´s an internal PCI modem, and I am pretty sure it's not a winmodem

------------------------------

From: "Mike Wellborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound card suggestions
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 17:59:30 -0700

Hi:

I'm getting ready to go again with Linux (RH 6.0). After failing miserably
with a much older version (I've got a PII with some newer hardware), I think
I'll be able to get everything to work, with the exception of the soundcard.
I have a Diamond Monster Sound (PCI), and I know that Linux is quirky with
PnP sound cards.  I also have access to SB16 pnp, and a "Mad" 16 bit card.
Any suggestions with the Diamond, or should I just stick with the older
sound cards which should install okay in RH?

Thanks.

--Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: creative 6424
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 02:43:58 GMT

does anybody know if the creative 6424 cdrw is supported ? i've read
that linux supports the 4224 cdrw... the biggest difference between the
two drives is that the 3424 re-writes at 4x speed while the 4224 one
writes at 2x--as you can see i really want to take advantage of the 4x.

even if the 6424 isn't supported, can i use just use it anyway w/ any
problems? AND, will i be able to rewrite at 4x?

thanks so much

From: David Cooley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel 810 motherboard Linux problem
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 23:48:23 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> 128M of SDRAM, Linux sees only 16M RAM. The BIOS
> sees 128M.
>
> Running RedHat 6.0, upgraded the kernel to 2.2.12,
> installed the latest Intel BIOS upgrades.
>
> No change, still 16M (of 128M). If I try
> "append"ing memory via lilo, the kernel panics
> during boot.

Make sure the BIOS doesn't have the "memory hole between 15m &16M"
enabled.

------------------------------

From: Leroy Mims <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pci modem
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 20:42:48 -0500

When I installed the Actiontec 56k Int PCI  Call Waiting Modem (model
PCI56012-01CW from Best Buy), the instructions given were:
    type "cat /proc/pci
    the response to the above command included IRQ 11 and three IO
addresses.
        I/O at 0x6400
        I/O at 0x6800
        I/O at 0x6c00
Using the IRQ and first address
        "setserial /dev/modem uart 16550A port 0x6400 irq 11"

Beware of Winmodems. Check LhD.
Also add this as the last line of /etc/rc.d/rc.local.