Linux-Hardware Digest #230, Volume #11           Sat, 11 Sep 99 14:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  VIA VT82C570 and Busmastering under Linux (Helmut Holle)
  Scsi troubles (Robert Sheskin)
  Re: stability problems with my system (Mindlink)
  Re: Voodoo 2000 PCI card  HELP!!! (Mindlink)
  Re: UDMA66 HD ("Phillip")
  Re: ABIT HotRod 66 IDE card ("Phillip")
  SOUND on NeoMagic 2200 (Thomas Neurauter)
  Re: help with modem installation (M.C.)
  Re: ESS SOLO-1 (Jorge Sanz)
  Creative sound PCI ? (Igor)
  Re: Hard drive partitions ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: how to use a graphic tablet (f1ayr)
  Re: Cobalt Qube2 reboot question... (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Memory Upgrade IRQ Timeout (DBob)
  help with configuration - dual celeron (BP)
  Re: HELP!! Thinkpad 560z timing problem with Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 PCMCIA card
("Xyloplax")
  Re: Problem With TNT2 Video Card Please Help ("Wally ][Equinox][")
  Help- netwoking card configuration ("Xiaozhou Qiu")
  sound problems!!!!!! ("exploser")
  xf86config ("Lohengrin")
  Re: Logitech cordless mouse ("Glasgow")
  Re: Hard drive partitions ("Scott Simpson")

From: Helmut Holle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: VIA VT82C570 and Busmastering under Linux
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 15:03:19 +0200

Hallo,
i have an old FIC PA2000 Mainboard with a VIA VT82C570 Chipset. Does
someone have experience with HD-Busmastering on this chipsets. Is it
possible to activate it under Linux?
Thanks for help,
Helmut Holle
--
********************
*  Helmut Holle    *

------------------------------

From: Robert Sheskin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Scsi troubles
Date: 11 Sep 1999 08:17:02 -0500

I am going crazy trying to get my scsi (sym53c416) card to work. I
have looked at the man page a million and one times and also a web
site dedicated to the card and tried to follow all suggestions and
still come up flustered. I have tried insmod and modprobe, without
extra parameters I get device or resource busy. As the page suggested
I tried to add io and irq to the command (modprobe sym53c416 io=0x200
irq=4) and get invalid parameter. Someone in the know please lend a
typing finger or two.
Robert Sheskin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Replace "nospam" with "tidalwave" for email
ICQ 5788323
AIM RobertLS

------------------------------

From: Mindlink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: stability problems with my system
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 09:48:53 -0400

This looks a lot like a thermal failure problem. It could be that the
CPUs are being badly cooled. Try using some decent thermoconductive gel
(like Radio Shack's) and a pair of good heat sinks with fans on your
CPUs.

The reason that winzip sets it off (if I am correct) is that the math
ops needed to unzip a file are enough to elevate the core temperature to
the point where the core ceases to work properly. Linux is a lot less
forgiving than windows on CPU errors, so it will tend to fail even on
lower loads. The reason disabling the cache fixes the problem is that
the CPU is getting instructions slowly enough to operate without a
temperature rise.

If I am wrong on this diagnosis, let me know, but these are my
suspicions. If all else fails, lowering the core voltage a couple of
points might help, but IMHO temperature problems are best solved with
better cooling.

MindLink.

------------------------------

From: Mindlink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Voodoo 2000 PCI card  HELP!!!
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 10:01:10 -0400

Go to the 3dfx website and look in drivers. There is a pointer to the
3dfx development svga server, which has worked well for me. The howto
refered to by the other reply post is also very useful.

Mindlink.

------------------------------

From: "Phillip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UDMA66 HD
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 00:16:28 +1000

Try this web site, might help you!

Phillip
http://www.kernelnotes.org/
QuestionExchange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> For the time being, yes. They are working on this for (i
> believe) the 2.3 series, but right now its still experimental,
> so I would reccomend you not play with it, unless you can
> honestly say you dont need to have the data on the disk.
> > I'll ask this under the assumption that it has probably
> already been asked a
> > million times.  Do I  have to forego my UDMA66 connection
> (built in to ABIT
> > motherboard) in favor of a regular IDE connection to get
> Linux to recognize
> > that it is even there?
> >

> --
>   This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com

http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet1/showUsenetGuest?ans_id=3175&cus_id=
USENET&qtn_id=3052

------------------------------

From: "Phillip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ABIT HotRod 66 IDE card
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 00:08:10 +1000

Try this website, it may help you!
Meaning time, I 'm trying to make my Abit BP6 UDMA66 work, but it looks like
a long way to go, basicly you need the 2.3.x kernel.

http://www.kernelnotes.org/

hope this help!!
Phillip

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 16:38:31 +0200
From: Thomas Neurauter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SOUND on NeoMagic 2200

My Acer 723TX laptop is equipped with
a NeoMagic MagicWave 3DX (chip as in the subject).

How do I configure kernels 2.2.x for supporting it?
PLEASE do me that favour, although it might be
very trivial.

I've already done all the READMEs, FAQs and HOWTOs
I could get a grip on.

My stereo will be very thankfull to ME and therefore
I'll greatly appreciate your help.

Take care and please answer (also) by E-Mail

:-) [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: M.C. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help with modem installation
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 14:31:15 GMT

Hi,

Still having trouble getting my modem installed.  I've tried reading
through 'man isapnp.conf' and 'man pnpdump' as well as the relevant HOWTOs,
but I'm afraid the stuff was a bit above me.  Can someone _please_ explain
how to configure my modem in more simplistic language :) ?

The problem:
I've tried 'pnpdump > isapnp.conf'.  I have to admit I only know that my
sound card has been detected, I'm not sure whether or not my modem has been
or not.  An abbreviated version is as follows:

___

(READPORT 0x0203)
(ISOLATE PRESERVE)
(IDENTIFY *)
(VERBOSITY 2)
(CONFLICT (IO FATAL)(IRQ FATAL)(DMA FATAL)(MEM FATAL)) # or WARNING

(CONFIGURE CTL00f0/-1 (LD 0 (INT 0 (IRQ 7 (MODE +E))) (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 0))
(DMA 1 (CHANNEL 1)) (IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0220)) (IO 1 (SIZE 2) (BASE
0x0300)) (IO 2 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0388)) (NAME "CTL00f0/-1[0]{Audio
     }") (ACT Y) ))

(CONFIGURE CTL00f0/-1 (LD 1 (IO 0 (SIZE 1) (BASE 0x0201)) (NAME
"CTL00f0/-1[1]{Game                }") (ACT Y) ))

(WAITFORKEY)
___

I've assume both CONFIGURE statements refer to my sound card.  Am I
correct?  If so, why isn't pnpdump recognizing my internal modem?

I've also tried adding a line in for my modem.  However, I only know that
BIOS has assigned IRQ 9 to it.  I'm not sure what the vendor ID/serial
number are, what IO address is used, etc..  As you can see, this low level
configuration is causing this Linux newbie a lot of confusion.

It'd be greatly appreciated if someone can help me.

Thank you in advance.

Yours,
M. Carpenter

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Jorge Sanz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ESS SOLO-1
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 11:22:28 -0400

    I got it working with the experimental driver included in the kernel
2.2.12
You will need to get this kernel (www.kernel.org), and in the
configuration accept the possibility of using experimental drivers
(Mature code... something :-)   and only need to install the solo-1
driver in the sound configuration (no other options in sound
configuration).
    For me I only have problems with Real Player and with some sounds,
but mpg123 and the cd players work perfectly, and in the Real Player the
problem seems not to be related to the soundcard.

    Good luck!

    Jorge Sanz

------------------------------

From: Igor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Creative sound PCI ?
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 15:30:00 GMT

Hi
I have Crativ sound PCI card, Slackware 4.0
and i can't install this card under Linux.
In windows I get this resources:
IRQ 11
Memory address e114000
pnpdump didn't give any data.
Can someone helps me to setup sound card ?
             Thanks in advanced
                        Igor

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Hard drive partitions
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 15:13:39 GMT

In article <yEmC3.153$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Keith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm preparing to buy a second hard drive to put Linux on.
>
> Currently I have a 3 gig hard drive with Win95, set up as the master
on the
> primary IDE controller and my CD Rom drive as the slave.
>
> I was going to install the second HD to the empty secondary IDE
controller.
> Is this an ok setup?

Personally, I'd prefer a setup where the CD rom is on the second port,
and not on the same ribbon as any hard drive. Then again, if your
current setup works well enough for you, there's probably no real reason
to change it.

> My second question is about partitioning. I've read in at some places
that
> you only need two partitions for Linux (the swap and the main
partition), in
> other places I've read that you need 4 or 5? Why the difference, is it
just
> a performance thing?

You can run Linux in just one normal and one swap partition, or even
without a swap partition if you so choose. (Particularly if you don't
expect heavy duty swapping.)

There are good reasons for having more than one partition, but it's not
vital. And then again there's also a pretty good reason for having
everything in one partition: it's easier to manage. I.e., you don't end
up with a dozen pieces of free space, one in each partition, but none of
them large enough for the program you want to install.

> Finally, regarding lilo or any other boot manager I choose to install
(such
> as boot magic) where should it go in my setup? I've got a feeling it
should
> go on my windows hard drive because that's where the Bios will look to
boot
> from, but I don't really know?

Yes, it should normally go in the master boot record of the first hard
drive.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (f1ayr)
Subject: Re: how to use a graphic tablet
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 16:43:03 GMT

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:54:47 GMT, James Tappin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
thaks but i have no wacom tablet
i search info for

pearl pad pro
and genius hyperpen

glibert

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cobalt Qube2 reboot question...
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 21:32:50 +0200

Jeff Simmons wrote:
> Has anyone had problems rebooting a Cobalt Qube2 server after turning
> off the power switch?
>
> Any suggestions on what to do to get it to reboot properly?

I'm not familiar with any Cobalt cube, but if you have problems after a
power shutdown my guess is that the file system wasn't unmounted in a
proper way. Now they are probably in a need of running fsck manually. Is
it possible to connect some kind of console? Maybe it has connectors for
a vga-monitor and pc-keybord? If not, does it have a serial port for a
serial console? Try to connect a console and see if you are able to fix
your file system.

regards Henrik

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DBob)
Subject: Memory Upgrade IRQ Timeout
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 08:20:04 GMT

I am trying to upgrade the memory on an old 486 with an overdrive
processor.
While still under Windows, I had upgraded the machine from 4 to 16 meg
RAM.
Now, I'm trying to upgrade to 36 meg and I encountered the following
problems:
With 36 meg installed(4 onboard + two 16 meg SIMMS), the boot fails
with the following error:

unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 4002d0a0

I then tried a smaller upgrade using one of the new 16 meg SIMMS and
and, alternatively, an 8 meg and 4 meg SIMM.
The boot failed with the following error:
20, 28:
Unknown interrupt
hda: irq timeout: status=0X58 (driveReady SeekComplete DataRequest)
ide0 reset success
hda: irq timeout: status=0X58 (driveReady SeekComplete)

repetively infinitum.

Thanks for any help - Don

------------------------------

From: BP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help with configuration - dual celeron
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 11:42:54 -0400

hi all:

i want building a machine with the following configuration:

dual 400 mhz celerons
tyan tiger 100 motherboard / abit bp6

running redhat 6.0

has anyone had any bad experiences with such a configuration?

comments/suggestions
tia

bp

------------------------------

From: "Xyloplax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: HELP!! Thinkpad 560z timing problem with Intel EtherExpress Pro/100
PCMCIA card
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:01:01 -0400

David Hinds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7r92m4$ptj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Xyloplax ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : The problem is that atlthough the PCMCIA Ethernet driver loads just
fine,
> : and ifconfig is correct, and I am able to ping out anywhere, the card
hangs
> : on any big data stream. I can connect via FTP and get an ls, but any
file
> : transfer fails. I can't surf the web at all. I can telnet in, but when I
run
> : pine in the remote session, it chokes. The PCMCIA howto mentions how
this
> : may be a timing problem with the bridge. The bridge is a Texas
Instruments
> : PCI1250 Cardbus. What parameters do I set? The i83365 man pages just say
the
> : configuration parameters it accepts, but no hint as to values deviating
from
> : the 4.whatever MHz standard bus timing equivalent. Any suggestions?
>
> Are there any messages in your system log when the choking happens?

Nope, what happens is I get just a stopped connection. It's weird: I can
connect with http, but it's REALLY REALLY REALLY slow (really). I wanted to
download some software, but as I said, it just doesn't transfer a single
packet. tcpdump reports just a stalled connection. Interestingly, if I do a
plain tcpdump against the hub I am connected to, I get a flood of packets,
but a valid connection chokes on my computer. I flushed ipchains, not that
there were any rules. I am out of ideas.

> The TI CardBus bridges do not have any configurable timing settings.

I know, but I was thinking about the general poll_interval and cycle_time
paramters, if they count.

lsmod lists:
xirc2ps_cs
serial_cs
ds
i83365
pcmcia_core
and the various lp and ppp modules.

------------------------------

From: "Wally ][Equinox][" <wally@(_REMOVE_ME_)equinox.demon.nl>
Subject: Re: Problem With TNT2 Video Card Please Help
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 20:19:23 +0200

Luckydaze1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I get a garbled screen when I choose RivaTNT as the chip from the list.
The
> screen goes screwy when Xconfigurator tries it out. I then bypassed
> Xconfigurator and tried configuring it manually with XF86config but I get
the
> same results. Has anyone got their TNT2 card working and what setup did
you
> use?
> Any suggestions please? I'm using mandrake 6.0

The Riva TNT 2 chipset is not compatible with the Riva TNT you select, hence
the garbled video output. Surf to www.nvidia.com and get the X-server for
TNT2 based cards. Use the instruction to install after un-tarring the file
and re-run XF86Setup and select the TNT2 X-server. It should work fine as I
am using the drivers/X-server on SuSE Linux 6.1 and my Diamond V770.

Wally

PS.
www.deja.com is your best friend

------------------------------

From: "Xiaozhou Qiu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help- netwoking card configuration
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:06:32 -0700

I am trying to install Netgear TX310 ethernet card on my HP pavilion 4458
without progress.
I have downloaded the latest tulip driver, and I can find my ethernet card
information in /proc/pci. It seems there is some problem with configuration.
When I type "ifconfig", I can not see eth0. When I type "ifconfig eth0", I
can see the eth0 settings.
When I type "ifconfig eth0 up", I met the following error message:

SIOCSIFFLAG: Resource temporarily unavailable.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Xiaozhou Qiu

------------------------------

From: "exploser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x,hk.comp.os.linux
Subject: sound problems!!!!!!
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 01:15:59 +0800

I have set my soundcard by sndconfig, it work in the test and i have heard
Linus Torvald's sound!! but when i started the X-window, it does not show
any sound effect, even if i try to use X11amp,it failed to play any
MP3!!Why??Please help me to solve it!!!!!thx!!

------------------------------

From: "Lohengrin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,hk.comp.os.linux,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: xf86config
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 00:43:36 +0800

Hello, I'm new to Linux.
I got a problem with configuring Xf86 (My ver is 3.3.2).

The window can only be set to 1024 x 768.
My mon goes off when attempting with other res.

I can't even set it to a standard VGA with 640x 480.
The most awful thing is that the screen split into 2!

My video card's Leadtek WinFast 3D S680 w/2M
The chip's S3 ViRGE/GX2; DAC: S3 SDAC
My mom's MAG XJ500.

How can I fix this apart from downloading X 3.3.5 (I would, of course.)?
Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

PS Mail reply is appreciated.

------------------------------

From: "Glasgow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Logitech cordless mouse
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 15:50:34 GMT

Well,

I just bought SuSE 6.2 and I have a LogiTech cordless mouse too!  I'll let
you know via e-mail how I managed to set it up.

Regards.

From: "Scott Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 10:31:38 -0700

You'll need to put the Linux / partition on the first drive. See
http://home.earthlink.net/~simpson3 .