Linux-Hardware Digest #231, Volume #11           Sat, 11 Sep 99 17:13:32 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Logitech cordless mouse (Bryan)
  sound problems!!!!!! ("exploser")
  Advice wanted: new sound card (Brian Rutledge)
  Re: Scanner for Linux ("Fabrice P. Laussy")
  Re: sound problems!!!!!! (lou)
  Re: Seti@home wont run. (Bryan)
  Re: wierd bug: NS communicator crashes sending mail (Chris Abajian)
  Re: Problem With TNT2 Video Card Please Help (Linux Student)
  Re: How To Get  Out Of KDE? (Rini Klaassen)
  Re: UDMA problem? (Dale Pontius)
  Re: AMD K6-3 + FX PA-2013 (allen kurt savegnago)
  panasonic cd burner (mikael)
  Memorex CD-R/RW drive supported? (Dale Pontius)
  TV + Radio Card ("Attila")
  Re: Hard drive partitions (Mark Lewis)
  Re: UDMA problem? (Dale Pontius)
  Seti@home wont run. (Kevin)
  Disk Array / RAID questions (1540B ?) (Brian Dudek)
  Re: AMD K6-3 + FX PA-2013 (David Cooley)
  Re: UDMA problem? (David Cooley)
  Re: Req.: Experience with SyJet Drive (SyQuest) (Leslie Mikesell)
  Re: wierd bug: NS communicator crashes sending mail (fixed, sort of) (Chris Abajian)
  help finding Afterstep for COL 2.2? (Jeff)

From: Bryan <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Logitech cordless mouse
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 18:12:49 GMT

works just fine.

a few caveats:

 - when using an active (powered/buffered) keybd/monitor/mouse switch
and going between linux and NT, nt would mess up the mouse somehow.
very annoying.

 - when using a cellphone near the rf cordless mouse, the mouse would loose its synch
and would need a power down/up to restore.

other than that, its great.

Gaetano Lampugnani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hi

: does anyone know how to get the wheel working of the logitech cordless
: mouse.

: I have Suse 6.2 and set up mouse as PS2 in psaux.

: Thanks and Rgds

: Gaetano

--
Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

------------------------------

From: "exploser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x,hk.comp.os.linux
Subject: sound problems!!!!!!
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 01:14:13 +0800

I have set my soundcard by sndconfig, it work in the test and i have heard
Linus Torvald's sound!! but when i started the X-window, it does not show
any sound effect, even if i try to use X11amp,it failed to play any
MP3!!Why??Please help me to solve it!!!!!thx!!

------------------------------

From: Brian Rutledge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Advice wanted: new sound card
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 13:32:58 -0400

I'm looking to buy a new sound card for my pc.  Currently I have an ESS
1869, but I've had various troubles with it and I want to replace it.
I'm looking for something more "high-end," I guess, but not terribly
expensive.  Does anyone have any suggestions for what kind of card to
get, or could someone point me in the direction of such info?

Thanks,
Brian

------------------------------

From: "Fabrice P. Laussy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scanner for Linux
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 20:13:05 +0200

David Cooley wrote:

> "Fabrice P. Laussy" wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I'd like some advice from peoples who have experience with running a
> > scanner for Linux. Which of them are supported, with average to good
> > results, for low to average price.
> >
> > Or are there FAQs or something that could help?
>
> There are FAQ's on it, and the drivers you need are from the SANE
> project...
> Do a search on the web for SANE project and LINUX and you'll be set.

Okay, you're right, thanks David.

Now there are not much scanners that are labelled stable. Most of them
are alpha or beta.
Is there not a special model you would advise, one which would satisfy a
not too demanding user?

Regards.

F.P.L.

------------------------------

From: lou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x,hk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: sound problems!!!!!!
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 18:31:40 +0000

exploser wrote:

> I have set my soundcard by sndconfig, it work in the test and i have heard
> Linus Torvald's sound!! but when i started the X-window, it does not show
> any sound effect, even if i try to use X11amp,it failed to play any
> MP3!!Why??Please help me to solve it!!!!!thx!!

For the sound FX to work you need to go to KDE Control Panel, than sound,
click on + sign click on System sounds.  Than click the box to enable system
sound.  Than reboot or restat x.

Lou

------------------------------

From: Bryan <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Seti@home wont run.
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 18:47:05 GMT

simple: its not in your path.

cd to where it is located and do:

./setiathome

that's all ;-)

Kevin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I relise this is a hardware group, but there are people here suggesting
: seti is a good way of system stability testing and so they must have
: some experience of using it.

: I downloaded seti@home

: setiathome-1.3.i686-pc-linux-gnu-gnulibc2.1

: with the intention of running it on my Slackware 4.0 dual Celeron box.

: I untared it ok and two file were extracted, README and setiathome, in
: to a directory.

: the setiathome file did not have the execute attribute set
: so I went

: chmod +x setiathome

: now the file name is green and has a star next to it when I do ls.

: but when I type

: setiathome

: at the prompt, I get

: bash: setiathome: command not found

: I'm a relative newbie, so it could be somethng realy dumb

: Any help much appreciated,

: Kevin

From: Chris Abajian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: wierd bug: NS communicator crashes sending mail
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 17:21:29 +0000

This is a show-stopper.  I can't use netscape on my linux box because a button push
can bring the system to its knees.  Any help at all would be appreciated.  I tried the
bugzilla pages but I don't get the impression they're interested in 4.61 communicator.

p.s. everything else about the system seems to be working fine.  I ran strace and one
of
the last things it does before dying is call uname.  uname was not returning a domain,
so I added 'domainname $DOMAINNAME' to ifup and that now works correctly but it still
crashes.

--
Chris Abajian
http://www.abajian.com

------------------------------

From: Linux Student <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem With TNT2 Video Card Please Help
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 18:07:26 GMT

Luckydaze1 wrote:
<snip>

> I have the file but I don't know how to untar it. I wish someone would tell me
> what diectory to place it in and all the steps to untar and install the file. I
> tried but get "tar" [child} errors and permission denied errors. Can someone
> help me out please cause this is driving me nuts.

well, i dont know if i can be of any real help but here are my 2 cents.

it doesnt really matter what directory u put it in. leave it in your root
if that makes u happy. there is no real wrong place for it but u'll
probly want to leave it where it is easy to get at.

tar xvf <filename>

it should make its own directory, CD into it, run the riva_install script
but u will need to execute it like this ./riva_install (it has to do with
the path, so make sure u put the ./ infront or it wont install it).

<the other post answer the rest>

oh yeah, Xfree86 has version 3.3.5 out which has support for TNT2 in it
so that is another route that can be taken.

------------------------------

From: Rini Klaassen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How To Get  Out Of KDE?
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 22:52:48 +0400

<Cntrl> <ALT><F1> is  a wayout. This will  startup a normal screen terminal next
to the xserver. I hope it works for you.

Rgrds,

Rini K.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dale Pontius)
Subject: Re: UDMA problem?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 22:23:53 -03-59

In article <7rbq7g$odi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Stein) writes:

> You don't indicate which chipset is in use, but be careful about
> drawing inferences from this data. Those are read tests only and
> provide no indication that the driver works at all for writes!
>
> I've wrestled with the ALI driver for some time and it simply
> doesn't work for UDMA. It works fine for DMA, but UDMA writes
> result in errors and the driver gets kicked into PIO mode.
> Again, this is for the ALI chipset only, so YMMV.

This is Via MVP3 chipset on a Tyan 1590S.

Dale Pontius
DEPontius AT usa DOT net

------------------------------

Subject: Re: AMD K6-3 + FX PA-2013
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (allen kurt savegnago)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 19:14:40 GMT

Subject: Re: AMD K6-3 + FX PA-2013 SIG 11 problems

Hi,

  I have the same motherboard and an OEM K6III did not work.  I awaiting
the arrival of a boxed K6III-450 cpu and will try again.  The mobo is
supposed to be the one "approved" by FIC as compatible with the K6III.

   I have heard by e-mail from a couple of guys who have been able to
get the K6III cpu to work O.K. with this motherboard.  There has been
a discussion about inadequate power supplies but I have a 300 watt sucker.
If it still doesn't work, it will look like the motherboard is at fault.

   The K6II-400 cpu works fine with it though.

                                Best regards,
                                Kurt Savegnago
                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

BMº> On 10 Sep 1999 20:14:19 GMT, Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
BMº> >This is usually the CPU.  Don't home-build a system with an AMD CPU.
BMº> >About 10-20% of the AMD systems I build fail the overnight multiple
BMº> >kernel compilations test.  This seems to be across the whole range of
BMº> >K6-2 and K6-3 CPUs.
BMº>
BMº> It's definitely not the CPU!  Did you ever think it was inferior cooling,
BMº> a bad motherboard, or RAM?  I've build a dozen AMD K6-2 machines and every
BMº> one of them has been rock solid stable under Linux (and any other OS, for
BMº> that matter).

BMºI guess now's as good a time as any to give my status report. I replaced the
BMºcpu with a K6-2/450, and everything is happy. I'm 99% certain the CPU
BMºoverheating, since it was never noticably higher than body temp, and it only
BMºfailed with the external cache enabled. While it's true that disabling the
BMºcache would decrease the CPU load (and thus waste heat), with the cache
BMºdisabled it ran loads for 48 hours straight without any SIG11's, which I
BMºwouldn't expect with a ineffective fan.

BMºAlso, I had already replaced the MB. Didn't replace the RAM. That was next on
BMºthe list after trying a new CPU.

BMºIdeally, I would have put another K6-3 in to determine if it was the CPU type
BMºor just that specific CPU which wasn't working. But I wanted to get my
BMºcomputer working ASAP and the shop wasn't too interested in performing
BMºcontrolled experiments.

BMºAs it is, everything worked out OK. I wasn't charged anything extra.

BMº--
BMº Brady Montz
BMº [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 * 1st 2.00 #6533 * "Say something warm and mushy."                "Oatmeal!"

From: mikael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]@free.fr>
Subject: panasonic cd burner
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 19:09:55 GMT

Hi,

I have a panasonic scsi cd burner and a a scsi cd drive. Linux finds the cd
drive but no the burner ?
Have anyone had the same problem with this burner ?

Mikael

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dale Pontius)
Subject: Memorex CD-R/RW drive supported?
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 15:31:19 -03-59

Does anyone know what Memorex CD Rewritable drives are supported
under Linux? I checked the How-To, and it's not mentioned, but it
appears that it may be an update problem.

The particular drive I'm looking at is listed as 3202-3278. It's
a 4X write, 2X rewrite, 24X read Atapi EIDE. Nothing looks unusual
about it, though it's not on the list. Is it just to new?

Thanks,
Dale Pontius
DEPontius AT usa DOT net

------------------------------

From: "Attila" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TV + Radio Card
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 02:56:38 +0800

Has anyone set up a Video Highway Xtreme or other TV cum Radio cards
successfully? Pls share ur experience here. The URL may provide a helpful
link (but it doesn't name my card!!)
http://www.thp.uni-koeln.de/~rjkm/linux/bttv.html

------------------------------

From: Mark Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Hard drive partitions
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 12:57:29 -0600

> My second question is about partitioning. I've read in at some places that
> you only need two partitions for Linux (the swap and the main partition), in
> other places I've read that you need 4 or 5? Why the difference, is it just
> a performance thing?

One reason is security.  If you will have other users on your system besides
yourself, it's generally a good idea
to put at least /var on it's own separate partition.

-- Mark Lewis

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dale Pontius)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 15:26:32 -03-59

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        David Cooley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> What kernel are you using?

RH6 stock 2.2.5-15. My old Cyrix M1 kind of broke me of
building kernels, (trap 11's) especially as RedHat started
configuring their kernels better. I really ought to get
back to it, since lm_sensors and some other stuff I want
to play with needs custom kernels.

> For the 2.0.x kernels there is a patch that enables UDMA.
> for 2.2.X the patch is built in.

I thought the patch came in later than 2.2.5, though.

Dale Pontius
DEPontius AT usa DOT net

------------------------------

From: Brian Dudek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Disk Array / RAID questions (1540B ?)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 13:22:11 -0600

I have found, for sale, a disk array (or RAID) box with 4 3gb (full size
I think) SCSI disks and an Adaptec IDE-1540B SCSI-1 controller card for
$300.  Good deal?

I am just starting my homework on disk arrays and RAID.  I would like to
learn disk mirroring, RAID, and spanning file systems across multiple
disk.  But if this box is a RAID box am I'm limited to RAID?  What
should I investigate on this hardware to insure it will work with RH6
even at all?

I have found no documentation on RH6 support of the 1540B - but I think
I did read something on this card quite a while ago.  Any ideas?

Is an array of disk the same thing as RAID?  Are there some good web
resources on the subject I should check out?  I'm hitting the Linux
Documentation Project page next - others?

Thanks!
Brian

------------------------------

From: David Cooley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 16:51:57 -0400

allen kurt savegnago wrote:

> Subject: Re: AMD K6-3 + FX PA-2013 SIG 11 problems
>
> Hi,
>
>   I have the same motherboard and an OEM K6III did not work.  I awaiting
> the arrival of a boxed K6III-450 cpu and will try again.  The mobo is
> supposed to be the one "approved" by FIC as compatible with the K6III.

You don't want the one approved by FIC as compatible, you want the one
approved by AMD as compatible.

------------------------------

From: David Cooley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 16:56:11 -0400

Dale Pontius wrote:

> RH6 stock 2.2.5-15. My old Cyrix M1 kind of broke me of
> building kernels, (trap 11's) especially as RedHat started
> configuring their kernels better. I really ought to get
> back to it, since lm_sensors and some other stuff I want
> to play with needs custom kernels.

I'm finding redhat is a pain in the ass...
I thought with all the development and RPM for installs it would be a
simpler linux to use...
I have had NO problems with Slackware and any Generic Linux source, but
RH is becoming a for-profit company (Mini-Microsoft???) and their
software is getting worse on each release.
I had a cyrix M1 under Slackware 3.4 then upgraded to a K6-300 (same
mobo etc)  never had a problem with either and I always compiled my own
kernels... precompiled were to get it booted and installed.

> > For the 2.0.x kernels there is a patch that enables UDMA.
> > for 2.2.X the patch is built in.
>
> I thought the patch came in later than 2.2.5, though.

According to kernelnotes.org, all the 2.2.x are supposed to have it in.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Req.: Experience with SyJet Drive (SyQuest)
Date: 11 Sep 1999 15:07:51 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David Rabanus  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The problem that I have is that I don't have a SCSI bus. I have to use
>their Parallel-2-SCSI cable. I heard that there are special drivers needed.

You need drivers for the parallel adapter but you also could get
a standard SCSI card and cable which would work without any
extra drivers.  I have interal drives (IDE at work, SCSI at home)
and run both with Linux and no extra drivers.  Too bad they
went out of business...

  Les Mikesell

From: Chris Abajian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help,netscape.communicator.unix
Subject: Re: wierd bug: NS communicator crashes sending mail (fixed, sort of)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 13:53:07 -0700

I backed out 4.61 and tried 4.07, the one shipped with RH 5.2 and
the problem goes away.  Sigh.

After a morning reading the newsgroups I realized:

- The product is really flaky.  There are an enormous number of crashing bugs
  posted even within the narrow envelope of my news server keeping the
  messages.  Bad sign: many people recommend not updating.  Suggests the
  codebase is becoming unmaintainable, i.e. more bugs created than fixed.

- Nobody at netscape pays the slightest attention to these reports AFAICT

- If Mozilla doesn't get it together soon, there's an EXCELLENT business
  opportunity for a good browser on Linux.  I would PAY for one.  Can you
  believe it?  Believe.

--
Chris Abajian
http://www.abajian.com

------------------------------

From: Jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help finding Afterstep for COL 2.2?
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 19:51:48 -0500

I recently installed COL 2.2 on my home PC as stand-alone desktop PC.  I
have a Symbios 53c416 SCSI card which I removed prior to install to
assure no conflicts.  I assumed it would not be supported.  I see a
kernel module for the sym53c416 SCSI.  Would I need to install card
first, reboot, then module, or reverse order or what?

Next: I'd like to try Afterstep or Windowmaker.  If I wanted either of
these, where could I download them with the assurance I'd be getting
EVERY lib file, etc., that I need to install & run it successfully?  Can
anyone help with this?

Still next (:p):  Could anyone recommend a really good newsreader?  The
KDE default one here isn't too stable for me, and I don't tremendously
like Netscape.  In NT, I always use FreeAgent.

Thanks much for all your help.

Jeff
jlr at soltec dot net (ANTIspam)