Linux-Hardware Digest #233, Volume #11           Sun, 12 Sep 99 02:13:28 EDT

Contents:
  Re: DMA support ("Gene Heskett")
  Re: Agfa Scanner and AVA1505 Controller (C. C. McPherson)
  Re: SiS 620 problem (David M. Cook)
  Re: Dual Celeron (Elvis Chen)
  Re: Scsi troubles (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: Memory Upgrade IRQ Timeout (DBob)
  Re: Serial ports & strange baud rates (Holger Petersen)
  Re: Linux and Zip 250MB or Imation SuperDisks? ("Mitch Foxworth")
  Re: wierd bug: NS communicator crashes sending mail (fixed, sort of) ("Robert M.
Taylor")
  Re: Problems with NCR 710 SCSI controller and with Compaq Smart1 array ("Robert M.
Stockmann")
  Re: kds vs-195 and vs-19sn: opinions? ("Robert M. Taylor")
  Need help with HP external Writer 7200 (Xun Wang)
  Re: CPUs (Darwayne Willock)
  Re: Scsi troubles (Robert Sheskin)
  Re: FREE EAST TIMOR!!! STOP THE KILLING!!! ("William B. Cattell")
  Intermittent Ping problems - 3c59x and tulip (Anil Roopnarine)
  Re: Which soundcard is best for Linux? (Nick Urban)
  Re: sound problems!!!!!! (Milosh)

Date: 11 Sep 99 20:15:30 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DMA support

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to David St.Clair;

>> Hi, i'm having the same problem, and honestly i think it has to do
>> with the Ali V Chipset, which uses the 1541-1543 integrated chip
>> for both busmastering and agp port support. i don't think it has to
>> do with bios settings, as the bios report screen identifies my
>> drive correctly to be udma2. But i do think however, that under the
>> current stable versions of the kernel (2.2.1 and up) it is still a
>> problem to get udma66 going. i have heard of a solution to work
>> around this under dos setting the busmaster to udma 33 but couldnt
>> get any proper information on how to do this. any help on this
>> would be appreciated, and as this is a chipset used quite a lot i
>> think a lot of people would be grateful for it.
>>
>> thanks a bunch in adv.
>> martin

 DS> I have a Quantum Fireball Plus KA 13.6, which is UMDA/66.  I got
 DS> it working by switching my ribbon cable from a 66 pin cable (the
 DS> one it comes with) to a 33 pin cable (a regular hard drive ribbon
 DS> cable).  I also used a utility from http://www.kernel.dk/ide/
 DS> that set my UDMA/66 to UDMA/33.  This works great! Linux is very
 DS> happy now.

Huh?  'scuse me, but *both* cables are terminated in a 40 pin idc plug,
and are interchangeable at the lower speeds.  UDMA-66 requires a better
grounding arrangment than 33 does, so the 66 cable is an 80 conductor
cable, with every other wire grounded.  Even then, 18 inches borders on
too long.  12 to 15 would be more dependable.

 DS> I don't know if this will work with your Ali V Chipset, but you
 DS> might try switching the ribbon cable.  That should be enough to
 DS> get it to work.  I 've tried the latest patches for the UDMA/66
 DS> in the 2.3.16 kernel and the 2.2.12 kernel, but they hang at
 DS> certain stages. (2.2.12 did find it though, so its not far off)

As near as I can tell from looking at the code for ALI stuffs, it
doesn't support DMA in any form.  Unless theres some magic in the code,
no attempt is made to even setup a DMA channel.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III
                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C. C. McPherson)
Subject: Re: Agfa Scanner and AVA1505 Controller
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 09:00:04 -0400

>  My Suse 6.1 Linux doesn't recognize the AVA1505 SCSI-Card. Please help me
> if
>  you can!!
>  Thanx
>  Daniel

They're supported with the aha152x driver, but you may have to remove the jumper, I
did.

-Clyde

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: SiS 620 problem
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 02:04:22 GMT

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:08:01 -0800, Tao Xie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>My PC is with the SiS 620.

What version of XFree86?  3.3.5 is supposed to have better support for that
card:

http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.5/RELNOTES4.html#4

Dave Cook

------------------------------

From: Elvis Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual Celeron
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 22:14:21 -0400

On 11 Sep 1999, Gene Heskett wrote:
> If thats the case, then I must be running pretty stably.  I'm running
> both the rc5-64, and seti gismos. slowly reaching for an >80% rank in
> setiathome.

don't bother.  I'm stuck on somewhere between 9,000-10,000th (99.1%) place
for the past 3 weeks.  There are many more people in this world with more
CPU cycle to waste than me.

Elvis

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Scsi troubles
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 22:00:34 GMT

Please fix your setup.

Robert Sheskin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

>I tried to add io and irq to the command (modprobe sym53c416 io=0x200
>irq=4) and get invalid parameter.

Try an IRQ that's not occupied already.

[...]

>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Unless you do have an account there, you're forging a valid domain name.

>Replace "nospam" with "tidalwave" for email

Dream on.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DBob)
Subject: Re: Memory Upgrade IRQ Timeout
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 18:16:28 GMT

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999 08:20:04 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DBob) wrote:

>I am trying to upgrade the memory on an old 486 with an overdrive
>processor.
>While still under Windows, I had upgraded the machine from 4 to 16 meg
>RAM.
Since then, I've installed Redhat Linux 5.0, which appeared to be
working fine, until:

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Holger Petersen)
Subject: Re: Serial ports & strange baud rates
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 19:27:27 GMT

Nicolas Mailhot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hello everybody,

>       I need to communicate on a serial port with a device that
>uses non-standard baud rates

Depending on the hardware... On a standard PC serial port, you may
get any Baudrate from 115200 to ~1 that satisfies the following
equation:  B = 115200 / N, where N is any integer from 1 to 16535.

>(i.e.8737bds for example).

Impossible; either 115200/14 => 8228 or 115200/13 => 8861

>I also thought I might use a DB25 serial
>port and apply the device clock on pins 15 & 17 (as in the
>RS232 original spec)

 ... but "no connection" on any PC serial port.

>Any idea/suggestion/link anyone ?

Take a standard extra serial board, un-solder the 1.8 MHz quarz
and re-solder a custom one: 4.915.200 was 8and still should be)
available: with a divisor of "35" you get "8777"; which might be
near enough?

Yours, Holger

------------------------------

From: "Mitch Foxworth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and Zip 250MB or Imation SuperDisks?
Date: 12 Sep 1999 02:35:48 GMT

Ditto the LS-120.  I use a jury-rigged SuSE 6.0, and can't boot off of the
LS-120 ("kernel compression format not recognized" error), but it works
great as a backup drive.  The media are cheaper than Zips, too.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Robert M. Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: wierd bug: NS communicator crashes sending mail (fixed, sort of)
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 03:52:22 GMT

There is a new Browser out there: Opera. I think the software is in now.
If netscape ends up a dog, this is a replacement. I have been using
Communicator for about a month and have not seen the problems you
mentioned. Are you trying to run this beast in less than 32 MB of RAM?
If so, forget it. This thing thrashes my box more than StarOffice does.

Good Luck

Bob

--
Bob Taylor @ Home with Janet, Katie, Anna &
        Welcome to SuSE Linux 6.1 (i386) Kernel 2.2.5

        Peregrine Login:

------------------------------

From: "Robert M. Stockmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with NCR 710 SCSI controller and with Compaq Smart1 array
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 05:53:06 +0200

Wim wrote:

> I tried to install linux on a Compaq proliant 1000 and a Compaq prosigma.
> I used Redhat 6.0, and Suse  6.1 but they just wouldnt detect my hardware.
> The proliant had a Smart1 array and the prosigma an NCR..... scsi card,
> I found on the internet that there could be problems with the NCR ..... card
> but nobody could offer me a solution.  As for the Smart 1, I only saw smart2
> in the kernel so maybe it is not supported, I dont know.  Now I cant install
> linux on these machines cause it wont find my harddisks.  Does anybody have
> the solution to this problem?

have a look here :

http://www.sleepie.demon.co.uk/ncr53c710/index.html

regards

Robert
--
++---------------------++---------------------------------++
|| R.M. Stockmann      ||   InfoMagic Nederland VOF       ||

------------------------------

From: "Robert M. Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kds vs-195 and vs-19sn: opinions?
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 03:57:25 GMT

We have the KDS monitors at work. Nice. One of the 12 units bought was
DOA though. We bought local, so there was not a problem in returning it.
A defective power switch. I'm not sure our "intern" didn't punch the
thing hard in frustration at trying to get some other peice to work.

Bob

From: Xun Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need help with HP external Writer 7200
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 01:19:31 -0400

I have bought an external HP Writer Plus 7200 (Serial Port) for
long time. But I never made it work on linux system. That's the only
reason I still keep my Windows98 running on my computer, and I hate it.
Anyone can help me out? Please e-mail me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Thanks in advance!!
Xun

------------------------------

From: Darwayne Willock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CPUs
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 00:00:28 -0500

John Williams wrote:

> I am trying to install Red Hat Linux 5.2 and it crashes before I get to the
> setup area.
>
> But just before it dies it mutters these last words. Any suggestions what
> might be wrong....
>
> Partition check:
> hda:hda1
> hdb:hdb1
> RAMDISK:Compressed image found at block 0 crc errorVFS: cannot open root

> device 08:22
> Kernel panic: VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 08:22
>
> My PC is:
>
> AMD K6 - 200
> TX chipset Motherboard
> Quantum Fireball 6149MB as master with Seagate 528MB as slave
> Toshiba CD-ROM XM5302TA
> Matrox Millennium Graphics Card

I believe the problem  has to do with your RAM, not you processor.  You might
want to check your HDD's as a precaution.

------------------------------

From: Robert Sheskin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Sep 1999 23:49:05 -0500

    M> Please fix your setup.  Robert Sheskin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    M> writes:

    M> [...]

    >> I tried to add io and irq to the command (modprobe sym53c416
    >> io=0x200 irq=4) and get invalid parameter.

    M> Try an IRQ that's not occupied already.
That is a vacant irq.
    M> [...]

    >> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    M> Unless you do have an account there, you're forging a valid
    M> domain name.
So.
    >> Replace "nospam" with "tidalwave" for email

    M> Dream on.
Get a life.
    M> Michael -- Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] *
    M> http://www.muc.de/~mibu Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) &
    M> Official Netscum Note: If you want me to send you email, don't
    M> munge your address.
No thanks I'll keep it the way it is.
--
Robert Sheskin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "William B. Cattell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FREE EAST TIMOR!!! STOP THE KILLING!!!
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 05:41:27 GMT

James Knott wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Pedro RA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Sorry to post off topic but this is EXTREMELY important!
> >
> >FREE EAST TIMOR NOW!
> >STOP THE KILLING KNOW!
> >
> >Please take a look at the nearest
> >internacional news broadcast.
> >
> >Remember KOSOVO, RUANDA,
> >BOSNIA, CAMBODJA, KURDISTAN,
> >or the HOLOCAUST. Or remember all
> >of them. You may as well add
> >EAST TIMOR to this list.
> >
> >DO SOMETHING!
> >
> >Do what ever you can.
> >
> >Better even:
> >STOP SOMETHING THAT SHOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED!
> >
> >    FREE EAST TIMOR
>
> Let's all send them our old Linux CDs!!!

That's actually not a bad idea...  We can lobby congress and the UN to send
a Peacekeeping mission over and then train the Timorians(?) on how to
sharpen the edge of the used CD we send them.  They can then use them as
weapons and achienve their freedom.  Or we could keep the old CDs and use
them for coasters.  ;-)

Bill
http://members.home.com/wcattell
Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it
may collect dust for want of being oft ridden. Ride thy Harley
with thy brethren, and rejoice in the spirit of the road.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anil Roopnarine)
Subject: Intermittent Ping problems - 3c59x and tulip
Date: 12 Sep 1999 05:49:30 GMT

I have a linux box running 2.2.12 with a 3com 3c905b TX card and a Linksys
etherfast card. The problem would be that ping the interface remotely
sometimes fails - ifconfig on the machine shows no errors - as well as
log/messages, so i stuck the linksys card in.

this one seems to perform better - but it seemed to display the same problem.
at the moment it is alive while the 3com one is dead.

I really don't have a clue as to how to try to debug this - I feel the problem is with
the router, but my netop says that it works for the other machines
connected to it.

At one time he made the router update its cache(arp) and immediately the interface
responded.

i just wanted to put this out there and see if anyone has any ideas - I
think i will try to set up a packet sniffer to see if packets are being sent to the
interface when its in suck mode.

but i'm a newbie at this networking stuff :(

any help is appreciated - or pointers to documentation/relevent newsgroups!

  -anil
--
A Perl Script is correct if it's halfway readable
and gets the job done before your boss fires you!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Urban)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Which soundcard is best for Linux?
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 22:28:11 -0700

Mine was even easier to set up than that. I don't know what distrubutions
include this, but redhat installed something called "sndconfig" which made
the whole thing a breeze. I popped in my SB16, an ran sndconfig. It
autodetected the card, and updated /etc/conf.modules. After that sound
just worked.

If you have a well-known card I would try to use sndconfig before spending
a lot of time manually messing with that stuff. Especially if you are a
newbie, in which case the sound problem is no doubt one of only 1000
things that are confusing the hell out of you. I know they did me ;-)

Nick Urban

<snip>
>Getting most soundcards to work is a matter of installing the correct driver
>as a module, running pnpdump, editing the output file to set the IRQ / DMA and
>then running isapnp at each boot (oh, and update conf.modules to reflect the
>new settings).
>
>To be honest, it is not half as bad as it seemed a year ago when I started on
>Linux.
<snip>

------------------------------

From: Milosh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x,hk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: sound problems!!!!!!
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 01:03:10 +0200

Hi!
First of all, don't crosspost your sound problem to networking , hatdware
and other news groups. It is not realy polite:-)

Now, about your sound problem..
Perhaps your X envoirment (gnome ,kde ..) system uses your sount card.
Enlightenment, for example loads (by default) esd (enlig. sound deamon)
,so the sound card is in use when you try to play mp3 witn some player.
In enlightenment (and gnome+enlightenment) you can say is shell
killall esd
then you will be able to play music..

Bye