Linux-Hardware Digest #244, Volume #11           Mon, 13 Sep 99 13:13:29 EDT

Contents:
  Graphics card for 3D, TV and Video capture? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Which ultra-small laptop to get? (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
  strange 'cracks' at start of sound playing (Gerd Bürger)
  Re: Small LAN - BIG problem (Jens Klaas)
  DMA question ("Rui Prior")
  Re: AMD K6-2 (Andrew Carroll)
  which color printer to buy? (Sebastian Bruene)
  Re: Audio CD problems (Jon M. Hanson)
  Re: Modem Stupidity (QuestionExchange)
  Cross-Platform news site (Jik)
  Re: Intel 810 ("Ben Castricum")
  Intel 3D Direct AGP videocontroller Problems installing Xwindows (John)
  can't 'make install' with ALSA v0.4.1a & Mandrake 6.0 (Bill Bug)
  Intel 3D Direct AGP videocontroller problem installing X-windows (John)
  Intel 3D Direct AGP videocontroller problems installing X-windows (John)
  Trouble with Ethernet cards in an HP Pavilion 4535 -- BIOS or kernel (Charlie
Woloszynski)
  Linux, x.25 cards... ("DrEvil")
  Small LAN - BIG problem ("Kovalev")
  Hardware compatibility and where's the bottleneck? (Emil Eifrem)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Graphics card for 3D, TV and Video capture?
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 12:41:40 GMT

I have follow the linux for video debate for some time without being any
wiser as to which video card to choose for the new PCs I am building.
Ditto for sound.

I want 16/32M AGP graphics with good 3D performance, a TV tuner (I guess
this needs a BT848 or similar), realtime video capture & playback (some
form of MPEG compression?). I don't need Linux support for the TV or
Video right away so long as it's in the pipeline. Am I expecting too
much from one card? Am I better off buying a graphics card and a
seperate TV/Video card - if so which?

I am aware that some graphics card manufacturers have been hostile, or
less than helpful, to the open source community and I would prefer not
to buy their products, given a choice.

Regarding sound cards, most of the advice I have received points to the
sound blaster awe64 or such. What of the SoundBlaster Live! value or
quality clones.

All advice gratefully received.

--
                                                                     ---
----

Subject: Which ultra-small laptop to get?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 12:54:07 GMT

I'm about to get an ultra-small laptop --- basically as small as
possible provided I can still type on it (the libretto is out!).  Are
there any known problems with any of the standard choices.

The Sony Viao looks like a nice machine.  Will I have any problems
with Linux?  (I understand Sony's support is terrible, and I have to
decide if I want to take a chance.)

The other option is the Toshiba portege.  Not quite as nice as the
Viao, but probably much more reliable, and certainly better service.
Again, will I have any problems with Linux?

Have I missed any good options?

Thanks for any tips you can offer.

-Joel
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gerd Bürger)
Subject: strange 'cracks' at start of sound playing
Date: 13 Sep 1999 13:25:06 +0100

Hi,

with the new kernel 2.2.12 my Ensoniq Vivo90 produces strange cracks
each time I play sound. These cracks are similar to the sounds isapnp
makes when detecting the card. I am now using the PnP Bios; is that
perhaps the reason for the noise?

        Gerd

------------------------------

From: Jens Klaas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Small LAN - BIG problem
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 15:50:21 +0200

Kovalev wrote:

> Hi, folks,

Hi,

> Here's my story:
> I've been trying to connect 2 machines together, using 2 ISA cards
> (second hand no-warranty trash, really, There's "Intel EtherExpress 16TP"
> printed on each of them) directly connected to each other via RJ45 jacks.

Not all cards are able to work without a HUB, I don't know if the EtherExpress
does.When you connect the cards without a HUB, you have to use a crossover cable,
not a straight through !!

some parts are cutted

> /sbin/route add -host 192.168.1.2 eth0

That is not neccessary, remove this route and start  routed. It will do the things
fine for you. Be sure that the netmask is seted to 0xff.ff.ff.00

> "No route to host" error (tried telnet, ftp). Why?
> I see the route with /sbin/route, why no route?

Are the routes fine on both hosts ?

> The real question I have- How could I find out that NICs are
> functional? I never saw a single blink of their LEDs.
> There're 2 LED on both cards, one on each card is always on, the other is
> always off.

Usualy one is link, the other traffic. No light no traffic. :) But the key point
is the cable I think. Even if the cable is not right, the link light will be on.
:(To try if the card local card is working, please ping to the local IP address
and see what happen (not to localhost !!). If it pings back the hardware seems to
be ok.

have fun,
Jens

------------------------------

From: "Rui Prior" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DMA question
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 14:01:54 +0100

Hi.

I'm porting a Linux driver I wrote for a PCI ATM card to vxWorks.
On Linux, I didn't have to do anything special to avoid cache coherency
problems with DMA buffers. Is this because the Linux kernel already has code
to do it, or because the PCI hardware takes care of invalidating cache
entries after a DMA tansfer?

Rui Prior

------------------------------

From: Andrew Carroll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD K6-2
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 14:02:13 +0000

I'm running a K6-III 400 in Linux and I haven't had any problems at all.
I'm extremely satisfied with the performance, especially as compiling my
kernel is very fast.
The first time I compiled my kernel after upgrading from a P166MMX, I
thought that the process had crashed, but it had just compiled about 3
times faster.

Regards

Andrew

--
Andrew Carroll
Kodak Limited

------------------------------

From: Sebastian Bruene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: which color printer to buy?
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 15:17:47 +0200

Hi,

I want to buy a cheap color printer (price not higher than
about 180$ (350DM)).
Does someone know if the Epson Color 640 works fine with Linux?
I had some trouble with a Epson Color 440 which was very slow.
Or should a try a model from HP or Canon?

Thanks, Sebastian

------------------------------

From: Jon M. Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Audio CD problems
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 13:41:22 GMT

______
> | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> |    Andrew Halliwell BSc   |"The day Microsoft makes something that
doesn't |
> |             in            | suck is probably the day they start
making     |
> |      Computer Science     | vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan
Plugge            |
========
> |GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w--
 M+/++ |
> |PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space
for hire  |
========

There is an audio cable running between the soundcard and the CD-ROM
drive. The same drive plays CDs under Windows 98.

I've got the system event sounds working. I also figured out that the
above messages in /var/log/messages also only appear when one specific
CD player is run on Linux. They do not appear on the other CD players
included in Linux.

--
Jon M. Hanson
http://www.primenet.com/~hanson/

From: QuestionExchange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem Stupidity
Date: 13 Sep 1999 13:19:26 GMT

> Input/output error.  What am I doing wrong?  My Sys Admin
says to just
> reinstall but I've got everything setup perfect.  Visually
speaking all
> the settings look correct.  Any ideas out there?  Is there a
config file
> that I'm missing?
I don't use SuSE but perhaps you could go check where
/dev/modem is linked to and go correct that? (I reckon it's
linked to something that doesn't work anymore since you mucked
around with the BIOS)
might not work but worth a try
good luck.
Alex Tan

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com

http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet1/showUsenetGuest?ans_id=3235&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=2967

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jik)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.mac
Subject: Cross-Platform news site
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 02:15:10 GMT

Check out The Moose News at http://www.netway.com/~lorijohn/MooseNews
for hardware, software, and gaming information with a cross-platform
slant.

- Jik
The Moose News

From: "Ben Castricum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel 810
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 07:46:09 +0200

I bought one as well, would be great if I got the on-board sound working. X
working would be great as well, the best I can do now is 320x200 while
windows runs great in resolutions up to 1600x1200!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John)
Subject: Intel 3D Direct AGP videocontroller Problems installing Xwindows
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 14:57:03 GMT

I have installed redhat 6.0
But now I 'm having problems to configure Xfree86-3.3.5 on my Compaq
Deskpro EP 466MHz Celeron with a Intel 810 chipset, and a Intel 3D
Direct AGP videocontroller (4Mb SGRAM).
This isn't the first time I have installed linux on a PC, but somehow
I have problems this time.
Because the videocontroller isn't in the list of videocontrollers of
Xconfigurator I've tried the   'Intel 740 (generic)',    the '2D/3D C.
1N,     AGP-740D, the '       Intel express 3D AGP' and the
'Unlisted cards'
All without any success.
If someone has a suggestion, or even better, has installed linux on a
similar PC or  controller and knows what to do I would appreciate some
help.

John Visser

From: Bill Bug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: can't 'make install' with ALSA v0.4.1a & Mandrake 6.0
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 15:04:32 GMT

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to Linux, so please forgive and/or correct any mistakes or
oversight you see here.  Many thanks to all who contribute to this
list.  I found much useful info here!  Also, much gratitude to the ALSA
folks - it looks like an excellent sound driver set, and I'm anxious to
get it up and running!

I'm trying to install the ALSA sound drivers v0.4.1a onto a 2 CPU box
running Linux-Mandrake v6.0 - kernel 2.2.9-19mdksmp.  I'm not using the
isapnp module, since I've only got PCI & AGP cards in this box.  My
ultimate goal is to use this sound driver package to load a module for a
SoundBlaster PCI128 card.  Apparently, the ens1370.o or ens1371.o has
been reported to work with this card.

I get through the first 2 steps in the ALSA INSTALL instructions, just
fine.  I run the configure script with the '--with-sequencer=yes' &
'--with-debug=full.'  As I watch the script run, the parameters appear
to be set correctly and the commands appear to run successfully.

When I try to run step 3, 'make install,' I receive the following error:

"ln -sf ../support/isapnp.h include/isapnp.h"
"ln: cannot create symbolic link 'include/isapnp.h' to
'../support/isapnp.h': Operation not permitted"
"make: *** [include/isapnp.h] Error 1"

When I check, after receiving this error, I find that
'/support/isapnp.h' does exist, while '/include/isapnp.h' does not,
which is no surprise.  The directory entry for '/support/isapnp.h' is as
follows:

'-rwxr-xr-x     1       root    root    11369 Aug 24 17:08 isapnp.h'

I've tried to 'chmod 777 isapnp.h,' but that doesn't seem to change this
files permissions, though the command doesn't report any error?

I'm stuck here.  Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Bill Bug

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John)
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 15:04:20 GMT

Hello
I have installed redhat 6.0
But now I 'm having problems to configure Xfree86-3.3.5 on my Compaq
Deskpro EP 466MHz Celeron with a Intel 810 chipset, and a Intel 3D
Direct AGP videocontroller (4Mb SGRAM).
This isn't the first time I have installed linux on a PC, but somehow
I have problems this time.
Because the videocontroller isn't in the list of videocontrollers of
Xconfigurator I've tried the 'Intel 740 (generic)', the '2D/3D C. 1N,
AGP-740D, the 'Intel express 3D AGP' and the 'Unlisted cards'
All without any success.
If someone has a suggestion, or even better, has installed linux on a
similar PC or  controller and knows what to do I would appreciate some
help. You can reply or mail me.

John Visser

Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 10:08:03 -0400
From: Charlie Woloszynski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trouble with Ethernet cards in an HP Pavilion 4535 -- BIOS or kernel

Folks:

I am trying to get an Ethernet card to work on an HP Pavilion 4535 (400
Mhz Celeron with the Intel 810 chipset).  The system has a dual PCI bus
architecture, with the motherboard devices on one PCI bus (bus 0) and
the cards on a second PCI bus (bus 1).

I have tried to use the NetGear FA310TX cards (using the latest tulip.c
driver) and I have tried using the 3Com 3C905TX (both PCI cards).  Both
cards demonstrate similar symptoms.  When I use RedHat 5.2 built with
appropriate drivers, 'ifconfig eth0' reports the IRQ at 255.  'ifconfig
-a' reports the interface is RUNNING but not UP.  When I try to
'ifconfig eth0 up' I get SIOCSIFFLAGS:  Resource temporarily
unavailable'.

Under Red Hat 6.0, I have used 'lspci -vvx' to look at the PCI state
more closely.  The following output occured after a warm-boot from
Windows 98 to Linux when the 3Com card was installed.   The last line of
the output shows that Windows 98 left the card with Interrupt line A
attached to Interrupt level 0x11 (e.g., 17).

Under a cold-boot, I would see that the Interrupt level was 255 for
Interrupt line A.

So, my question is:

Does anyone know what I need to do to get PCI devices to work in this
machine?  Do I need new kernel support for the PCI bridge chip
(82801AA)?  I thought that the BIOS was suppose to program all these
devices based on the system design and that this is not something that
Linux should be concerned with (as long as it does not change the
settings).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-
-  Charlie Woloszynski
-
-  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (email)
-
==============
========
----
-
========== Output from lspci -vvx =================

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 7120 (rev 02)
 Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
<MAbort+ >SERR- <PERR-
 Latency: 0 set
00: 86 80 20 71 06 01 80 20 02 00 00 06 00 00 00 00
10: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
30: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation: Unknown device
7121 (rev 02)
 Subsystem: Unknown device 8086:7123
 Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
00: 86 80 21 71 07 00 b0 02 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 00
10: 08 00 00 f8 00 00 00 f4 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 86 80 23 71
30: 00 00 00 00 dc 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0a 01 00 00

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 2418 (rev 01)
 Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
<MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
 Latency: 0 set
 Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=64
 I/O behind bridge: 00002000-00002fff
 Memory behind bridge: f4100000-f41fffff
 Prefetchable memory behind bridge: fff00000-000fffff
 BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR+ NoISA+ VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
00: 86 80 18 24 07 01 80 00 01 00 04 06 00 00 01 00
10: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 01 40 20 20 80 22
20: 10 f4 10 f4 f0 ff 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
30: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 06 00

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 2410 (rev 01)
 Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle+ MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
 Latency: 0 set
00: 86 80 10 24 0f 00 80 02 01 00 01 06 00 00 80 00
10: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
30: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 2411 (rev 01)
(prog-if 80)
 Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
 Latency: 0 set
 Region 4: I/O ports at 10a0
00: 86 80 11 24 05 00 80 02 01 80 01 01 00 00 00 00
10: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
20: a1 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
30: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 2412 (rev 01)
 Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
 Latency: 0 set
 Interrupt: pin D routed to IRQ 11
 Region 4: I/O ports at 1080
00: 86 80 12 24 05 00 80 02 01 00 03 0c 00 00 00 00
10: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
20: 81 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
30: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0b 04 00 00

00:1f.3 Class 0c05: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 2413 (rev 01)
 Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
 Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 9
 Region 4: I/O ports at 10b0
00: 86 80 13 24 01 00 80 02 01 00 05 0c 00 00 00 00
10: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
20: b1 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
30: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 09 02 00 00

01:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Rockwell International: Unknown
device 4320
 Subsystem: Unknown device 1235:4320
 Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
00: 7a 12 20 43 05 01 90 02 00 00 01 04 00 40 80 00
10: 01 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 35 12 20 43
30: 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ff 01 00 00

01:08.1 Communication controller: Rockwell International: Unknown device
4321
 Subsystem: Unknown device 1235:4321
 Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
00: 7a 12 21 43 06 01 90 02 00 00 80 07 00 40 80 00
10: 00 00 10 f4 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 35 12 21 43
30: 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ff 01 00 00

01:08.2 Input device controller: Rockwell International: Unknown device
4322
 Subsystem: Unknown device 1235:4322
 Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
00: 7a 12 22 43 06 01 90 02 00 00 80 09 00 00 80 00
10: 00 00 11 f4 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 35 12 22 43
30: 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ff 00 00 00

01:0a.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905 100BaseTX
[Boomerang]
 Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
 Latency: 3 min, 8 max, 64 set
 Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 0
 Region 0: I/O ports at 2040
00: b7 10 50 90 05 01 00 02 00 00 00 02 00 40 00 00
10: 41 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
30: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 11 01 03 08

-
-  Charlie Woloszynski
-
-  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (email)
-
==============
========
----
-

------------------------------

From: "DrEvil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux, x.25 cards...
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 11:24:52 -0500

Are there any good Linux compatible X.25 card solutions out there? I really
need one, and the company we've used in the past (Eicon), doesn't support
linux, only SCO Unix, we'd like to use linux from now on, but we need a
driver.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("Kovalev")
Subject: Small LAN - BIG problem
Date: 13 Sep 1999 13:32:54 GMT

Hi, folks,
Here's my story:
I've been trying to connect 2 machines together, using 2 ISA cards
(second hand no-warranty trash, really, There's "Intel EtherExpress 16TP"
printed on each of them) directly connected to each other via RJ45 jacks.
One of the machines runs RH6.0, the other is, well, runs nothing at the moment.
The idea was to use first machine's cdrom to install linux on the second one-
(no cd-rom old 486) via nfs (or ftp, or anything else).
I compiles eexpress.o right into the kernel.
The card was "recognised" when I made good guess and put
ether=10,0x240,eth0 in the boot prompt.
It said -
eth0 Intel EtherExpress[...]     Waw!
I compiled nfsd into the kernel too, I started all the services I thought
I might need, like ftpd, httpd.
Then following the HOWTO, made the card come up on bootup with
IP 192.168.1.1 (I don't intend any time soon to get into wide open net)
And ifconfig shows both eth0 and lo interfaces (looks fine).
Then I thought I might need routes, and that's what I did:
/sbin/route add -host 192.168.1.2 eth0
(that's for the only other host on my "net")
/sbin/route    showes the record fine( to me)
The next step I boot second machine from RH6.0 net-install floppy.
Choose  the same etherexpress driver, give it the same io=0x240 irq=10
(any other parameters would bring some complaints, autodetect won't work)
And skipping name configuration give it static ip 192.168.1.2  .
And the nightmare begins:
NFS - cannot connect to host    (trying 192.168.1.1)
ftp - cannot connect to host
http - same thing.
When both mashines are up any attempt to connect from the first to second
will produce-
"No route to host" error (tried telnet, ftp). Why?
I see the route with /sbin/route, why no route?
The real question I have- How could I find out that NICs are
functional? I never saw a single blink of their LEDs.
There're 2 LED on both cards, one on each card is always on, the other is
always off.
Any idea why I shouldn't just throw both of them in the trash bin,
would be _strongly_ appreciated.

------------------------------

From: Emil Eifrem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hardware compatibility and where's the bottleneck?
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 13:56:22 GMT

Ok, so I'm just about to buy myself a Linux box. I mainly intend it as a
workstation but may also use it as a server from time to time. I aim for
the ~1000 dollar price range. Here's the hardware I've compiled so far:

  - Motherboard : Asus P3B-F, Slot 1, ATX (jumperless... yay)
  - CPU         : Intel PII 400 Mhz 512kb
  - RAM         : 128Mb SDRAM
  - HD          : IBM Deskstar 22GXP 13.5Gb 7.2krpm UDMA66, IDE
  - Videocard   : ATI Rage IIc 8Mb, AGP
  - CD-ROM      : MIDA 40X CD-ROM, UDMA2, IDE

I've intentionally held back on both CPU and memory to keep down the
price. OTOH, I add some extra bucks to get the Asus P3B-F motherboard so
I can easily upgrade to a PIII in a few months (once Athlon and Merced
have forced down PIII prices.)

Does anyone have experience with a similar setup or of any of the
individual components? Are these good choices for a Linux workstation
(main) / server? Where would the performance bottlenecks be?

TIA,

-EE [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]