Linux-Hardware Digest #275, Volume #11           Fri, 17 Sep 99 07:13:30 EDT

Contents:
  Imation Superdisk (Ned Latham)
  CDROM woes - "lost interrupt" - "no medium found" (wildbill_1313)
  Requiring Custom kernel to install Debian (Aaron Daniels)
  Newbie and a SCSI zip question (Ned Latham)
  Drucker ohne Lizenz zum Drucken (Kerstin Hoef-Emden)
  Anyone have USB Scanner support (Duane Smeckert)
  Re: time measurement in milliseconds (David Schwartz)
  printer, was: Drucker ohne Lizenz zum Drucken (Kerstin Hoef-Emden)
  Re: --> [Q] Linux and IBM RS6000 ?? (Josep Lluis Guallar Esteve)
  Re: --> [Q] Linux and IBM RS6000 ?? (Josep Lluis Guallar Esteve)
  Re: big problems with network card - please help! ("Niel Dunnage")
  Re: Requiring Custom kernel to install Debian ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: making linux go away (dancho)
  Re: How about this modem?? (Bernat Ginard)
  Re: Hardware Configuration (Kent Carpenter)
  yahama sound card (Ketan Arvind Kolge)
  Creative VIBRA (PCI) 128 (root)
  Distinguishing Winmodem ("Kichi Leung")
  SV: Red Hat Linux 6.0 on IBM Netfinity 5500 M20 ("Robert Claeson")
  Re: yahama sound card (Rajarshi Bandyopadhyay)
  How do i write a CD using a HP writer on a parallel port (Rajil Saraswat)
  Athlon and SMP? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Ned Latham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Imation Superdisk
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:18:03 +1000

Does anyone know anything about the Imation
Superdisk? Is there linux support for it?

Ned

------------------------------

From: wildbill_1313 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CDROM woes - "lost interrupt" - "no medium found"
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 08:29:57 GMT

I have a problem that I'm not quite sure is hardware or software but
hopefully someone here will be able to give me a bit of insight on.

First, my system description:

Dell OptiPlex GMT5100 with Pentium 100 and 32mb ram, 1 gb ide hdd, 33.6
USR external modem, 24x Creative CDROM (no model number that I can see)
(ATAPI/IDE/hdc)(the source of my troubles), SMC ethernet card, S3 video
with 2mb, 15" nec multisync monitor, running Red Hat 6.0 with
GNOME/Enlightenment for the gui (if anyone cares)

I bought the system used and have been running Red Hat now for about a
month or so - maybe a bit longer - and when I got the system the CDROM
worked just fine.  I've really had no reason to use it for the past
couple of weeks (I don't have a sound card or speakers).

I got a new book from Fatbrain.com - Michael Kofler's Linux:
Installation, Configuration and Use (2nd Ed.) and it arrived on Friday
of last week.  It had a couple of CD's in it and over the weekend I
tried using them just to be sure they worked OK and didn't need to be
returned or anything like that.

I tried to mount the cdrom under X and it said "medium not found" or
something along that line.  I was a bit surprised as I'm sure I have the
cdrom set so that anyone can mount it (it is, I checked the /etc/fstab
file) so I tried the other CD...same thing.  Tried a couple different
CD's that had been "known good" a couple weeks ago when I last tried it
and the same thing.

I was baffled so I quit X and logged in as root thinking that I might
have managed to get the access "hosed" somehow - although I don't recall
making any changes - and it made absolutely NO difference whether I was
under X - at a text terminal - logged in as root or as a "normal" user -
the CD won't mount.

Interestingly enough when logged in at a text terminal I see a message
that says: "hdc: Interrupt 15 lost" or something like that anyway and
then the message about "mount failed: no medium found" so some such.

I took the CD's to work and tried to read them on the windows machines
there on the network and they are fine.

I went and checked the /var/log/dmesg logs to see what the last bootup
had to say and it would appear - at least to my "newbie" eyes - that the
CDROM is being recognized on bootup just fine.

I see messages that indicate that the CDROM is being recognized as /hdc
(which is correct as it's the 2nd IDE device in my system and first on
the second controller) and also see that the appropriate driver is being
loaded.  It is being setup on Interrupt 15 - according to the logs
anyway, with the hdd itself on Interrupt 14.

The CDROM appears to have power as the light flashes when I put in a new
CD and it seems to be doing what it should - except it won't mount -
under any way that I can think of to try.

I've checked and rechecked the /etc/fstab file - and even replaced it
with an older copy known to have been working.  Nothing.

I have not yet opened the case to see what might be going on inside yet
(lack of time more than anything else) but plan to do so this weekend.
I was wondering if anyone has run across a similar problem in the past
and could tell me whether it is hardware related - or somehow software
related??

I'm new to Linux - and up to this point in time hardware hasn't really
been my strong suit to be polite about it - but I'm working on changing
that.  I've also not had a system with a CDROM before (last one I had of
my own was about 5 years ago and they were expensive still).

Hoping someone might have run across this before is...

--
Isn't it really time you tried Linux?  Come on
over to The Bits and see how easy it can be...

From: Aaron Daniels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Requiring Custom kernel to install Debian
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:19:16 +0000

I am installing debian 2.1 off a bootable CD but to see my hard disks I need to boot
off a
custom kernel that has my raid controler compiled in which I have created on another
debian
machine, is there a command I can type in at the Debian boot prompt to get it to load
off my
kernel, I have tried boot=/dev/fd0 and that doesnt work.

also I can boot directly off my floppy which has my kernel on it but if I do that then
I have no
root filesystem,

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
Aaron

------------------------------

From: Ned Latham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie and a SCSI zip question
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:16:02 +1000

I'm running RH 5.2 on a SCSI HD; the controller
is an Adaptec aha152x. I don't have a backup
device as yet, and am looking at using zip.

The external connector on my card is a lot smaller
than the connectors I've seen before (SCSI 1), but
if my count is correct, it's 50 way. Is this
SCSI 2?

Over at the hardware shop, the zip drive box tells
me that I need an ASPI (25 pin) SCSI connector.

Can anyone tell me what the hell that is?

(I've read the zip HOWTOs; they're all about parallel)

Thanks in advance,

Ned

------------------------------

From: Kerstin Hoef-Emden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Drucker ohne Lizenz zum Drucken
Date: 17 Sep 1999 09:26:59 GMT

Hallo zusammen,

kann mir jemand erklaeren, was falsch laufen koennte, wenn die
Druckauftraege nicht ankommen und tunelp folgendes ausgibt: printer status
255, out of paper, on-line

Der Drucker hat Papier und ist der gruenen LED zufolge druckbereit.
Anscheinend liegt das Problem bei der Kommunikation zwischen Rechner und
Drucker, aber was kann das sein?

Der Drucker ist ein HP Laserjet 5 MP und der Rechner laeuft unter RedHat 5.2
mit 2.2.12er Kernel. Unter Debian 2.0 und 2.1 an einem anderen Rechner
(dessen Parallel-Port nicht IEEE 1284-faehig ist) funktioniert der Ausdruck.
Ich habe auch mit printtool schon herumprobiert, die fstab von dem anderen
Rechner herueberkopiert und den lpr voellig neu installiert.

Bisher verschwinden die Druckauftraege ohne Fehlermeldung mit dem
unauffaelligen Normal-Kommentar "printing n sides to m pages" oder so
aehnlich im Spool-Directory und bleiben dann dort liegen.

Was koennte man in diesem Fall noch probieren? ... und wo kann man
nachsehen, was 255 bedeutet?

Vielen Dank im voraus,

tschuess,

Kerstin

From: Duane Smeckert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Anyone have USB Scanner support
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:13:02 -0700

I am not having luck getting my USB scanner
working under RedHat 60., Anyone have suggestons that might help?

From: David Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linus.questions,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.help,comp.realtime
Subject: Re: time measurement in milliseconds
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 02:11:43 -0700

#include <sys/time.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
 struct timeval before, after;
 gettimeofday(&before, NULL);
 /* Do some stuff
 gettimeofday(&after, NULL);
 printf("Time taken: %d.%06d seconds\n",
  after.tv_sec-before.tv_sec,
  after.tv_usec-before.tv_usec);
}

        This is from memory and untested, so it might need a tiny bit of
adjustment.

        DS

------------------------------

From: Kerstin Hoef-Emden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: printer, was: Drucker ohne Lizenz zum Drucken
Date: 17 Sep 1999 09:37:38 GMT

Sorry, I am mixing up German and English newsgroups!

Here follows a translation:

What might be wrong when the printer does not print and tunelp says:

printer status 255, printer out of paper, on-line

Paper is still available and the LED is green, the printer should be ready
for printout. It looks like a communication problem between printer and
computer, but what kind of?

The printer is a HP Laserjet 5 MP and the computer comes with RedHat 5.2 and
kernel 2.2.12. With my older computer under Debian 2.0 and 2.1 printing
works without problems (the older computer does not support IEEE 1284).
I tried several things with printtool, copied the fstab of the Debian system
to the RedHat system, reinstalled lpr. Nothing works.

At the moment all printing jobs end up in the spool directory. No error
messages are given, instead just the normal "printing n sides to m pages" or
so is shown.

What options are left to try? ... and is there a docu somewhere telling what
status 255 means?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Kerstin

From: Josep Lluis Guallar Esteve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: --> [Q] Linux and IBM RS6000 ??
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:02:38 +0200

Dave Brown ha escrito:

> It's not clear why you'd want to dump AIX in favor of Linux.  Linux
> has been ported to PowerPC, and if your "aging RS6000s" are based on
> PowerPC, there's a possibility there.

First of all, they are not being used. Their tasks were given to NT
servers  (not my decission), so they are unused. Then, the company
doesn't want to renew the lecenses for the AIX OS .And the current
version is not Y2K compilant (don't ask me how this is possible. This is
what the pointy haired boss has told me).

> However, you can get AIX versions of much of the software that runs
> on Linux at ftp://aixpdslibs.seas.ucla.edu, either source or binaries.
> So why would you want to give up SMIT and LVM?

Well, because we want to install a web server, the obious choice was
Linux + Apache. Instead of buying new machines, I thought those oldies
goldies could do the task, getting a "second youth".

> --
> Dave Brown   Austin, TX

Thanks for the interest Dave,

Josep L. Guallar
Barcelona (Catalonia)

------------------------------

From: Josep Lluis Guallar Esteve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:05:50 +0200

Alberto Varesio ha escrito:

> Josep Lluis Guallar Esteve wrote:

> > Hello there,

> > We have some aeging IBM RS6000 and they had been running AIX. Now
> > they have their well deserved retirement but...

> > ...can I install Linux on those machines? They can be great for
> > developing and intranet-web servers.

> What models ?

They are models 6550.h and 6530.H at 56,0 and 37,1 MIPS

> There are some distributions supporting RS/6000, but only if they are
> PowerPC!
> If so, try http://www.linuxppc.com http://www.linuxppc.org
> http://www.yellowdoglinux.com and look around.

I'll check them.

>  Alberto Varesio - AIX Support Professional

Thank you Alberto,

Josep L. Guallar
Barcelona (Catalonia)

------------------------------

From: "Niel Dunnage" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: big problems with network card - please help!
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:16:28 +0100

I'm getting simialr problems with a 3c509. I'm sure the problem is I/O
related. I'm now getting an error delaying eth0 initialisation at boot.
Which is the configration file I need to ammend to get the card to function
rarther than using linuxconf

news:VVaE3.2053$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Requiring Custom kernel to install Debian
Date: 17 Sep 1999 09:26:27 GMT

Put lilo onto the floppy, put your kernel there and type at the prompt:
  linux root=/dev/<your CD-Rom device>

------------------------------

From: dancho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: making linux go away
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 16:39:39 GMT

Uhhh, run Lisa?  You could set up lilo using Lisa without knowing
anything.

In article <7qclhj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Dario Andrade" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Taking advantage of this conversation, how do I SETUP lilo on my MBR??
>
> I mean, the easiest way, without having to read tons of man pages to
do
> something really stupid (in my opinion)...
>
> --
> []s,
> Dario Andrade
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Mohd H Misnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 13:41:28 +0800, Tristan Jones wrote:
> > >i found that the easiest way to get "linux to go away" is to dig up
> copy
> > >of red hat, start the install and use disk druid to delete
partitions.
> then
> > >use a dos boot disk (or a win95/98 one) and type:
> > >
> > >fdisk /mbr
> > >
> > >lilo will be removed and your disk(s) completely empty.
> >
> > If you've a bootable MS-DOS disk with fdisk, the above can be a very
> simple
> > thing to do. Run fdisk and delete all those non-DOS partitions,
change
> that to
> > Win95/98 partitions and run fdisk /mbr to clear up LILO code inside
your
> master
> > boot record.
> >
> > --
> > |Mohd Hamid Misnan       | [EMAIL PROTECTED] /
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/3319/

From: Bernat Ginard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How about this modem??
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:36:45 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> =

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> =

> >I was browsing at the local computer shop today
> >and saw this modem.
> >It is a Motorola Maxsenger (yes that's the way it's
> >spelled) with voice.  It seems to be designed around
> >a motorola ASIC.  The big chip has the Motorola logo
> >and name.  Among the requirments and features it
> >says that it has a virtual 16550 UART.  It claims
> >compatibility with win95 and WinNT.  It has an
> >ISA bus interface.  THis has me intrieqed.  WHat
> >i think I'm looking at is a DSP based modem.
> >The Uart functions are programed into the DSP.
> >Anyone know if this will work or can be made to
> >work.
> =

> Virtual 16550 UART =3D software modem!  Stay away!
> =

> These things don't even work under DOS.. no chance of it ever working i=
> Linux.
> =

> Even if you are running Windows, it's a bad idea.  Impossible to stay
> connected more than 5 minutes.  Try doing about anything else with your=

> processor like playing music or even sending email, it drops the
> connection.
> =

> >It would be great if it can since it's selling for
> >$39.00.  The 3com modems are selling for over
> >$100.00 I'm told.
> =

> Pay a few bucks more and get something that works!
> =

Take a look at this page:

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

-- =

Bernat Ginard Llad=F3
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://www.kaos.es

------------------------------

From: Kent Carpenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hardware Configuration
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 02:12:49 -0500

Ken Shibley wrote:

> Two requests:
> i) I am unable to use my HP Deskjet 820Cse using
>    any of the available printer configurations in
>    Linux.  Although HP has signed on board to
>    support Linux, their tech support says they
>    will not support previous hardware.
>
> ii) Anyone able to configure a Paperport 5300
>     scanner?
>
> Any help or info will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Ken

HP820 is a WinPrinter so to speak. (along with the 1000 and 720 series)
You can go to the address below to get pbm2ppa in order to print in B/W
with it.  They are working on a driver to print in color, but it isn't
quite to the public release stage yet. (Check the devel mailing list
archive, and you may be able to grab an alpha version {now pnm2ppa}
which works pretty well on my crappy 720).

http://www.httptech.com/ppa/software.html

Don't know anything about the scanner. If its a parallel or USB, I wish
you luck...

Check the SANE site for more info.

http://www.mostang.com/sane/

------------------------------

From: Ketan Arvind Kolge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: yahama sound card
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:22:17 +0530

hello
 i want to configure my yahama 16bit sound card on my system -
celeron 300MHz, 32Mb RAM. I am running RHL 5.2. my problem is that if i
try some card say sound blaster or oplsax i get a error message from
modprobe that device or resource busy. i have also tried modprobe -r sb.o
/ opl3.o / opl2.o / opl.o , even then if i try to setup my soundcard i get
the same problem.
please tell me how to configure this card
ketan

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Creative VIBRA (PCI) 128
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 06:34:29 +1000

Hello, I would love to hear from you if you have successfully
installed this card or can point me to the right How - to.
Regards,
Jacinto Hernandez

------------------------------

From: "Kichi Leung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Distinguishing Winmodem
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 18:09:31 +0800

Anyone can tell me how to distinguish a internal Winmodem from within Win98
only?

------------------------------

From: "Robert Claeson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SV: Red Hat Linux 6.0 on IBM Netfinity 5500 M20
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:03:30 +0200

Christian Schulz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> If you have the IBM raid controller, you will need a special driver.
> In SuSE 6.2 (or on the website) the driver is available, but I think
> in RH 6.0 not.

Ok. I found it as a .tgz file on the IBM web site. Works like a, well,
charm.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rajarshi Bandyopadhyay)
Subject: Re: yahama sound card
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:47:09 GMT

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:22:17 +0530,thus spake Ketan Arvind Kolge:
kolge>hello
kolge> i want to configure my yahama 16bit sound card on my system -
kolge>celeron 300MHz, 32Mb RAM. I am running RHL 5.2. my problem is that if i

HI
Upgrade to RH 6.0 & use sndconfig. This configures all the sound cards I
know of. Highly streamlined !

--Raj

------------------------------

From: Rajil Saraswat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How do i write a CD using a HP writer on a parallel port
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:31:20 GMT

Hi all,
    I want to write  a CD using and HP writer. The writer gets hooked to
my parallel port. Do i need to set it up as scsi or is there some way.
         As i am a newbie plz help on configuring the system in detail.
                                                   - Rajil

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Athlon and SMP?
Date: 17 Sep 1999 12:30:45 +0200

Hi!

Are there any indication when one could expect motherboard for
dual/quad/octal K7 processors on the market? Would it in that case be
possible to upgrade a single (K7) processored system by just changing
motherboard and adding more processors?

/Lars