From: johnnyBlayz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone get Linux working under AMD K7 or Carmino Chipset??
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 18:20:55 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> I was wondering if anyone has got AMD K7 system workng under Linux? Does
> Linux support VIA and AMD North and South Bridge? I am planning to
> upgrade, want K7 performance, but afraid the compability issue...
> Probabily wait for Intel new chipset, but not sure that will be
> supported or not.... Thanks in advance.
> Jason

FTL
http://www.cpureview.com/rev_k7-linux1_a.html

john

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan)
Subject: Re: Wheel Mouse?
Date: 18 Sep 1999 11:18:27 GMT

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:53:40 -0400, David St.Clair wrote:
>Anybody know if wheel mice work in Linux? If so, what do I need to do to
>configure it?  I'm using a PS/2 driver right now.

What kind of wheel mouse do you have? I've Logitech M-S48 with Zilog controller
and it working flawlessly on my notebook. Check out this webpage:

http://www.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/

Good luck!

--
|Mohd Hamid Misnan       | [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|iMac/233RevB/MacOS 8.6  | [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank v Waveren)
Subject: Re: USB and Linux
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 00:45:49 GMT

Not true, many USB devices are already supported, and many more are coming.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Josh Gentry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Folks,
>
> I read that USB is not yet supported by Linux.  Is this
> true?
>
> Josh

                        Frank v Waveren
                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                        ICQ# 10074100

------------------------------

From: Saleh Jamil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Need help with modules, Serial, Tulip, SB1000, & PPP.
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 00:10:53 GMT

Hello,

I just compiled kernel 2.2.12, and the distro I am using is SuSE 6.1.
After compiling the kernel and making the modules, with multiple
attempts, I constantly have problems with some modules.

The first is the following error:

   modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-5

which happens to be serial support:

   alias char-major-4        serial
   alias char-major-5        serial

After running depmod -a I receive:

 depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.12/misc/tulip.o
 depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/misc/sf.o

In my conf.modules file I have the following for the tulip module:

 alias eth0 tulip  ...and
 options tulip      options eth0 io=0x400 irq=11

The tulip driver is used with a Linksys that comes with Linksys's
"Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box".  Running lsmod shows the
tulip module loaded:

Module                  Size  Used by
tulip                  29512   0  (autoclean) (unused)

The last problem is with ppp.  I kernel enabled support for ppp
(ver. 2.3.8), and a General Instruments SB1000 internal 1 way hybrid
cablemodem.  Once I am connected I get the following:

 pppd[886]: Remote message: ^D^EM-j^B^F
 pppd[886]: local  IP address 24.48.XX.XXX
 pppd[886]: remote IP address 10.1.XX.XXX
 kernel: cm0: sb1000 at (0x110,0x310), csn 1, S/N 0x25e58c87, IRQ 5.
 kernel: sb1000.c:v1.1.2 6/01/98 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
 pppd[886]: Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0x75

Now that is not the only hex protocol that I get (0x75), I receive many
others, that differ from connection to connection, such as 0xab, 0x3a01.
Whenever I get the error message my connection stalls for a bit, once
the
errors stop coming up then my connection resumes.

Thanks in advance,

 Saleh Jamil
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless....but most importantly
 change what needs to be changed so that things work better.

From: "mikez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Support of Diamond Ffireport 40 SCSI adapter?
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 18:59:13 -0500

Which version (also which vendor) supports the Diamond Fireport 40 (Symbios)
SCSI adapter? I tried used the bootdisk with RedHat 5.2 and I get
"VFS: Cannot open root device 08:01"
"Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01"

All help appreciated.

Mike Zemina

------------------------------

From: "Enno Rey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Adaptec Raid Port
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 01:48:02 +0200

I have to install Linux on a Dual-pentium machine equipped with a Adaptec
Raid Port 1130 and I'm not able to get a driver. Even worse, there's a NT
guy singing to my ears: 'for NT we got one'.
Does anybody know where to find that driver to get rid off my problem (and
that guy).

Thanx a lot,

Enno

From: Mike DuFresne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SMP or zippy chip?
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 19:24:29 -0500

Check over at www.tccomputers.com , they have (at least has last week) a
bp6 + 2x 400As for $265 ..

No, I don't work for tc

Mike

--
We defeated the enemy with teamwork and the hammer of not bickering.

                                        The Shoveller

------------------------------

From: Nils Freese <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Support of Diamond Ffireport 40 SCSI adapter?
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 02:54:06 +0200

> Which version (also which vendor) supports the Diamond Fireport 40 (Symbios)
> SCSI adapter? I tried used the bootdisk with RedHat 5.2 and I get
> "VFS: Cannot open root device 08:01"
> "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01"

The Fireport 40 is supported by every Linux-distribution
in case it provides the ncr53c8xx-Module.
Of course you have to load this module first.
(at least with the SuSE-Bootdisks you have to)
If your root-device is a scsi-disk and you want to boot from it,
you will have to compile the ncr53c8xx-driver into the kernel.
(But I thin that was clear anyway.)

regards,
        Nils

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: support for secondary IDE interface...
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 00:31:50 GMT

rajiv kukreja wrote:

> i'm running the mandrake 6 distribution of linux on a dual pII 350 /
> 128MB machine.
>
> i recently bought a new CDROM drive (Blaster 48x from CreativeLabs) and
> installed it on the secondary IDE interface. the problem is that my
> installation doesn't seem to know about the secondary interface.
>
> all i have in /proc/pci is ide0. i realized this while trying to debug
> why the CDROM drive is not found.

Hello Rajiv,

Check your bootup messages. That should say more about your ide
interfaces. Try

dmesg | grep -i ide

and see what it says. My output is

PIIX3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

Catting /proc/pci gives you the pci interface, not the channels. (I
think...)

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: Richard Latter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.linux.questions,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.dial-up
Subject: Setting up a V.90 K56Flex HSP PCI Modem with Linux
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 02:11:58 +0100

Hi All,

I'm having great trouble setting up my modem for use with Linux.  So far
I have established the following settings.  I've set up the serial port
to the correct IRQ, port settings and UART, but this seems to have no
effect.  When I use minicom, nothing happens, kppp says that the modem
is not responding.  Is there anything I've missed out here or what?

By the way, I'm trying to set this up on /dev/ttyS3 and this is linked
to /dev/modem.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  To help I've included the
/proc/pci file on linux.

I'm using Suse 6.2

Cheers

Richard

PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device   0, function  0:
    Host bridge: Intel 440BX - 82443BX Host (rev 3).
      Medium devsel.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe8000000 [0xe8000008].
  Bus  0, device   1, function  0:
    PCI bridge: Intel 440BX - 82443BX AGP (rev 3).
      Medium devsel.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=136.
  Bus  0, device   7, function  0:
    ISA bridge: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev 2).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.  No
bursts.
  Bus  0, device   7, function  1:
    IDE interface: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 1).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.
Latency=64.
      I/O at 0xffa0 [0xffa1].
  Bus  0, device   7, function  2:
    USB Controller: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 1).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 10.  Master
Capable.  Latency=64.
      I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdc01].
  Bus  0, device   7, function  3:
    Bridge: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 2).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.
  Bus  0, device  16, function  0:
    Communication controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 1).
      Vendor id=134d. Device id=7890.
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 11.
      I/O at 0xd800 [0xd801].
  Bus  0, device  20, function  0:
    Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq Unknown device (rev 6).
      Vendor id=1274. Device id=1371.
      Slow devsel.  IRQ 10.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min
Gnt=12.Max Lat=128.
      I/O at 0xd400 [0xd401].
  Bus  1, device   0, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: Intel Unknown device (rev 33).
      Vendor id=8086. Device id=7800.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 9.  Master
Capable.  No bursts.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe6000000 [0xe6000008].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xefe80000 [0xefe80000].

------------------------------

From: "L. Friedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.linux.questions,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.dial-up
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 21:27:56 -0400

Do you realize that you posted this 3 times to 6 newsgroups, totaling 18
times?  Is there a good reason to post this 18 times????

BTW, you've got a crappy winmodem, you're not getting online in linux
with that.

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 21:50:36 -0400

Richard Latter wrote:
> (winmodem infor deleted; lotsa crossposting deleted)

Winmodem. Hopeless. Get a real modem.

MST

------------------------------

From: "Mike Wellborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem: Getting ppp0 configured
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 17:23:49 -0700

Never mind.  I reinstalled Linux, and it works now.  Must've missed a
package the first time.

------------------------------

From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Sep 1999 22:10:44 -0400

Josh Gentry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Folks,
>
> I read that USB is not yet supported by Linux.  Is this
> true?

The 'stable' kernels (2.2.x) don't support USB.  The 'development' kernels
(2.3.x) do support USB to some degree.  Since I don't use USB, I can't say to
what extent they support it.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886