  Re: Crystal Sound Card Drivers (Clif Norton)

From: "R. Nightingale" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.databases.oracle,comp.databases.oracle.misc
Subject: Re: Running Oracle 805 on Linux
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 01:54:30 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:ilEE3.407$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi all,
>     I've been charted to design a web site..Like most web sites, it will
> have a bunch of web servers fronting some application servers and one
> database (Oracle) server.

That's a good idea.  You HTTP server could be servicing a lot of
traffic--causing undue response interference with your Oracle application.

> Now I would like to have 3 or 4 e-machines Celeron
> systems running Linux as my web servers, feeding into a load balancing
> switch such as a Foundry ServerIron or an Alteon AceDirector.

My sister has an e-machine desktop.  What an unrealiable piece of crap.  The
running joke is not being able to turn off the "autoboot" feature.  For not
a whole lot more, you could get a Dell or a Gateway.  At least they have
human beings on the tech support line.

> On the back
> end, I would like to stay with Linux as far as possible -- I will be
having
> things like chat servers and mail servers, and I cannot see why Linux
won't
> work here.
>
>     The thing that's keeping me up at nights though is Oracle. I'd really
> like to run it on Linux, but I don't know how strong Oracle's committment
is
> to Linux. For that matter, I do not know if Linux can scale to running a
> gigantic database server -- we're very small right now but expect to grow
> rapidly (obviously ;) I expect the database to be up in the
> multi-hundred-gigabyte range in the next few months.  This isn't going to
be
> one of those inactive database servers, folks are going to be inserting,
> deleting, and updating records all the time. Its come down to Linux/Intel
> because its cost effective (we're tight on $$$) vs Solaris/Sparc because
> Sun/Oracle have such a tight relationship. I'm equally familiar w/ Linux
and
> Solaris BTW. I'd like to stay w/ RedHat 5.2, since its a release behind.

I regularly consult with companies that have 10s of GB of data on Oracle.
Most of my Oracle work is on AIX, HPUX, and WindowsNT.  You might get away
in the short-run using Linux on cheap PCs, but look forward to some heavy
iron when you get serious.  Silicon Graphics is supporting Linux on their
1400L server.  Compaq is discountinuing WindowsNT development on their Alpha
servers in favor of OpenVMS, Unix and Linux.  Sun is even introducing
something called Hot Desk that has NO operating system.  You can find out
"what's shipping" in each OS/Hardware combination at the supported platforms
site (http://platforms.oracle.com/linux).

What's nice about Oracle is that if you do change your mind about the
hardware or the OS, you can migrate your database to the new server fairly
painlessly.

Once you get above 40 GB, you are going to want systems that have multiple
processors and fast data channels. You are going to want some reliable
hardware. The only thing I've seen on the e-machines web site
(http://www.emachines.com/) was a page of directions on how to ship the
machines back to the factory.

-rn

------------------------------

From: Darren Poulson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Radio card - SF16-FMR
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 03:50:00 +0100

I've got myself an SF16-FMR radio card which works under windows, but this
isn't exactly ideal!

I've tried the sf16 driver from the kernel, but I can't get any sound out of it
whatsoever.

Has anyone else had any luck with a card like this, or can anyone offer me any
tips?

TIA

Darren

Reply by mail please <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Subject: Re: cd  writers
Date: 19 Sep 1999 01:49:13 GMT

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999 17:23:19 +0000 Stewart Hector <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I know there is linux software for blowing CD's, but do these drivers
>work with any type of IDE cd writers?
>
>how good is the software

Read the CD-Writing HOWTO via the Linux Documentation Project at
various places, notably www.linux.org and www.veimeister.com/LDP.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy."

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New Linux Modem - What to buy
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 02:31:22 GMT

Any suggestions on modem to buy (non-Winmodem). I'm currently looking for a
modem that will work under Linux, and is also easy to configure. From what
I've been reading, distinguishing between Winmodems versus Non-Winmodems is
not an easy task.

I'm looking for a modem off the shelf that will work well under Linux and I
was hoping that someone would suggest a modem that they have purchased and
actually configured to work.

Thank you for the assistance.

Eric -

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB and Linux
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 18:40:26 -0600

Josh Gentry wrote:

> I read that USB is not yet supported by Linux.  Is this
> true?

USB support is not included in the current v2.2.x stable
kernels.  There is preliminary USB support in the v2.3.x
development kernel series.  This should be folded into the
stable kernel series when v2.4 is released.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jose A. Garcia)
Subject: Re: aha142b and 2.0.35: cdrom not detected
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 20:19:35 +0200

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 19:48:25 +0200, Engard Ferenc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I have an aha1542B card, and tried to make it work under linux. I compiled
>it in module (as all the scsi support), and it runs fine with a (very old)
>scsi HD. But when I plugged an (also old) scsi cdrom, then it doesn't detect
>it. The cdrom is good (on the same machine winduhz can detect and use it),
>so I don't know what is the problem. I tried to increase the timeout in the
>scan_scsis_single() function, but that didn't help.

Uhmmmm.....i think you have support to Scsi Cdrom....or not?

If windows cant detect it, perhaps the problem is in the kernel.....

Try to compile the SCSI CDROM support.

Regards

--

                       Jose A. García Tenorio (EA4DQX)
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                               http://www.qsl.net/ea4dqx

------------------------------

From: Bruce Tennant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Linux Modem - What to buy
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 23:19:14 -0400

Eric wrote:

> Any suggestions on modem to buy (non-Winmodem). I'm currently looking for a
> modem that will work under Linux, and is also easy to configure. From what
> I've been reading, distinguishing between Winmodems versus Non-Winmodems is
> not an easy task.
>
> I'm looking for a modem off the shelf that will work well under Linux and I
> was hoping that someone would suggest a modem that they have purchased and
> actually configured to work.

I recently purchased Viking Components' 56K external modem (RFM56KEXT) and it
works fine, and it looks good unlike that certifiably ugly US Robotics
External Faxmodem #5686 (jeez, it looks like a bathroom radio from the 70's).

Stupidly, Viking has labeled this model as a Windows modem but it is actually
a full modem with a serial connection. Make sure you don't get the USB model,
however.

More info here: http://www.vikingcomponents.com
Under SUPPORT there is a Linux setup FAQ.

Bruce Tennant

--
People have the power.

------------------------------

From: "Ryan T. Rhea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux
Subject: HELP!! Lost filesystem; Bad superblock!
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 03:22:41 +0000

Due to a power failure, I am unable to mount an ext2 filesystem.  It
contains very important data that I need to recover.  Here is the
message I get from mount:

    [root@garcia ryan]# mount -t ext2 /dev/loop4 /mnt
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop4,
    or too many mounted file systems

So next I try e2fsck and dumpe2fs:

    [root@garcia ryan]# e2fsck /dev/loop4
    e2fsck 1.14, 9-Jan-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
    Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...
    e2fsck: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read

    while trying to open /dev/loop4

    [root@garcia ryan]# dumpe2fs /dev/loop4
    dumpe2fs 1.14, 9-Jan-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
    dumpe2fs: Bad magic number in superblock while trying to open
/dev/loop4

    Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

Obviously, something is foul with the superblock.  I
tried running the '-r' (repair) option with e2fsck.  I also tried the
'-b' (alternative superblock) option with 8193 and 16385 as the
superblocks.  I got those from the man page - I don't know if there are
other superblocks I could try.

Is there a way to report possible superblocks...  Or a way to repair the
superblocks without knowing their number?

Anyway, like I said I really need to recover this data.  Any help is
greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Ryan T. Rhea
Winthrop University

From: "Christopher Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compaq Deskpro 5133/5200
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 23:44:21 -0400

Anyone know what issues I'll have loading redhat 6 onto a Compaq Deskpro
p133 (5133)?  Video? or embeded NIC?  Sound?   I have both a p133 and a
p200, figured I'd give a try at redhat 6 on one of them.

Thanks
christopher

------------------------------

From: Dae <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Iwill 2935UW, will it work??
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 00:09:36 -0400

I was going to get the tekram 390F, but found that I can get the IWILL
2935UW SCSI card cheaper.  Does anyone know how Linux friendly this card
with the Initio chipset is?  They got Unix and Redhat 4.0 and high
drivers on their site, but I'm thinking abuot going with Slackware.

Anyone currently using this card??  What do you think?  Was the setup
easy or did you somehow have to tweak it for it to work?

TIA - Dae/MD

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Date: 19 Sep 1999 03:19:34 GMT

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999 02:31:22 GMT, Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I've been reading, distinguishing between Winmodems versus Non-Winmodems is
>not an easy task.

It's actually quite easy to distinguish them- don't buy the cheapest modem
you can find (almost always the cheapest will be a Winmodem) and ensure
it's _not_ PCI. Safest is to use a known good modem (ie. USR Sportster
56k) or the safest choice of all is an external modem.

Mike.

  Mike Frisch                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

From: David Cooley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.linux.questions,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.dial-up
Subject: Re: Setting up a V.90 K56Flex HSP PCI Modem with Linux
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 00:25:39 -0400

Richard Latter wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm having great trouble setting up my modem for use with Linux.  So far
> I have established the following settings.  I've set up the serial port
> to the correct IRQ, port settings and UART, but this seems to have no
> effect.  When I use minicom, nothing happens, kppp says that the modem
> is not responding.  Is there anything I've missed out here or what?
>
> By the way, I'm trying to set this up on /dev/ttyS3 and this is linked
> to /dev/modem.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
> Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  To help I've included the
> /proc/pci file on linux.

You have a controlerless modem. AKA winmodem.
Won't work under anything but windows 95/98/NT

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Need an honest appraisal of CPU performance
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 03:09:40 GMT

The other responses you got are pretty much on target--however, given
the CURRENT prices for RAM (you just missed the boat on this), I'd
stick with 128 MB.  More than adequate for what you're doing.  Also,
I'd go with the PII 400 rather than the Celeron for two reasons:

1)  You can use it with a BX motherboard, stable and fast; and

2)  The larger cache will aide most graphics programs.

A PII 400 is plenty of horsepower and not much more than comparable
Celerons, which lose their attractiveness above 400 MHz.

A TNT card would suit you well.  Very good performance, image quality,
for very good price.  Works well with both NT and Linux.

Spend your bucks on a SCSI controller (not on MB, so you can keep it
when you upgrade in the future) and buy IBM hard drives.  Best hard
drives available, hands down.  Faster, quieter, cooler, more reliable,
sometimes cheaper!  Recommend 9.1 GB SCSI LVD.

All recommendations are from experience.  I have used a wide variety
of components in both professional and hobbyist environments.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Looking for a m/b with onboard periphs
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:15:15 GMT

Well, the m/b I have now is pi55ing me off so I'm gonna trash it, but I
would like to get another m/b that has onboard LAN, Sound and
potentially modem and video, though less important. I ust don't want to
screw around with installing a bunch of cards, since it's a desktop
case. Yup, I'm looking for a pointer to an AT form factor m/b,
preferably a 440BX based board, but I'm almost not even that picky for
stuff to look at. I saw a M748LMRT on the http://www.pccost.com/
website, which seems to have it all, but also seems to show a bunch of
nasty comments during a search for more info in general on the net.
Anyway... I want little to NO conflicts... just an easy setup, and a
board that would cost under $70...

I could even settle for a high vanilla pentium, but I might as well get
a PII board, since they are jsut as cheap now... and I WOULD like to do
some gaming and other crunching stuff on my box, as well as IP masq'ing
for my home lan.

Desperate? Yes... sorta... this would make the 3rd system I've tried to
set up as a linux box that crapped out because of crappy hardware. The
current one is a ZEOS BOA2 board, which is pretty nice, but suddenly the
serial mouse isn't working AT ALL and I don't think the onboard LAN/SCSI
ever worked, since it should have been factory installed, yet the guy I
bought it from just included the chip with it...grrrrr...

any help?
thanks,
T-SNAKE

From: David Cooley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for a m/b with onboard periphs
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 00:32:20 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Well, the m/b I have now is pi55ing me off so I'm gonna trash it, but I
> would like to get another m/b that has onboard LAN, Sound and
> potentially modem and video, though less important. I ust don't want to
> screw around with installing a bunch of cards, since it's a desktop
> case. Yup, I'm looking for a pointer to an AT form factor m/b,
> preferably a 440BX based board, but I'm almost not even that picky for
> stuff to look at. I saw a M748LMRT on the http://www.pccost.com/
> website, which seems to have it all, but also seems to show a bunch of
> nasty comments during a search for more info in general on the net.
> Anyway... I want little to NO conflicts... just an easy setup, and a
> board that would cost under $70...

If you want something that's going to work, don't go loball on the
hardware... Buying the cheapest MB will be screwing yourself.  Get a
good MB, and not one with built in graphics/sound/network.  Usually
these have some proprietary-ness to them and only run mainstream MS
os's. (and not well!)  Look thru the hardware compatibility list and get
a video/net/sound card that is compatible and a MB to fit them in.
You'll be glad you did down the road... the all in one MB's are
basically disposable and not upgradeable.

------------------------------

From: "Quarath" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SBLive on Mandrake 6.1??
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 23:03:53 -0600

I found sblive drivers for linux on www.linugberg.com I have downloaded them
but havent tried them at all.
news:7s0f4i$ih8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Clif Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,linux,linux.dev.sound
Subject: Re: Crystal Sound Card Drivers
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:45:51 +0000

==============30B00C59377E17187A3902FE

"Keynone J. Taylor" wrote:

> Have you tried using sndconfig?  Since it is a PnP sound card, it
> should auto detect that for you and configure it as well.  Hope this
> works for you, since it did for me and I have a Crystal CS4232 based
> sound card.
>
> Keynone
>
> Lucky wrote:
>
>> HiI've Intel SE440 motherboard with build in Crystal PnP Sound card.
>> Can anybody help me on setup that for Mandrake Linux 6.0? Thanks in
>> advance Lucky

This doesn't work for my Maxisound Game Theater 64 sound card.
Sndconfig recognizes the card, but when it tests the card the screen
flashes but there's no sound.  Any suggestions?

Clif

"Keynone J. Taylor" wrote:
a PnP sound card, it should auto detect that for you and configure it as
well.&nbsp; Hope this works for you, since it did for me and I have a Crystal
CS4232 based sound card.
<b><font size=-1>HiI've Intel SE440
motherboard with build in Crystal PnP Sound card. Can anybody help me on

Sndconfig recognizes the card, but when it tests the card the screen flashes
but there's no sound.&nbsp; Any suggestions?

==============30B00C59377E17187A3902FE==