Linux-Hardware Digest #418, Volume #12            Tue, 7 Mar 00 04:13:09 EST

Contents:
  zip drive corrupts files written to it ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  2.2.14 scsi logging and tokens (Jeff East)
  Re: zip drive corrupts files written to it (Dances With Crows)
  SB Live Value (jigga)
  Re: XT as terminal on serial port? (Tom Massey)
  linux compaq SP-750 ("David Place")
  3Com Switch and Uplink Problem ("Mike Jensen")
  SuSE 6.3  Doesn't  Detect My 3Com NIC (Lucky)
  Corel Linux and 3C905C Card HELP!! (Jarmo Ahonen)
  Re: Unbuffered RAM vs. Registered RAM (Leon)
  Re: TurtleBeach Sound Card (Kenn Madsen)
  Re: CPU Over clocking (Joe Ringer)
  Re: SCSI tape drive, device not ready ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: SCSI? IDE? Opinions please (Greg Leblanc)
  Compiling Kernal ("Nodzie")
  Re: RH 6.1 and SCSI tape drive. (Scott R. Haven)
  Re: ?? Ethernet card help.... :o (G. Asch)
  Re: Kernel update??? ("Lyle R. Taylor")
  Re: Kernel update??? ("Lyle R. Taylor")
  Re: PCMCIA card configuration..... ("Lyle R. Taylor")
  Re: System reqs - is P166 too small/slow? ("Lyle R. Taylor")
  Re: SCSI? IDE? Opinions please ("Lyle R. Taylor")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: zip drive corrupts files written to it
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 05:26:10 GMT

Hello.  I have an ATAPI zip drive on my Linux 2.2.5-15 machine (RedHat
6.0), with an entry in the /etc/fstab file like

/dev/hdb4   /zip   vfat  user,noauto   1 2

I can read from the zip drive with no problem. I can write small files
to the drive (eg maybe 50K).  When I try to write large files to the
drive, however, they become corrupt.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff East)
Subject: 2.2.14 scsi logging and tokens
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 00:40:24 -0500

        I've turned on scsi logging (CONSTANTS and LOGGING) (and sysctrl
and proc) in my latest 2.2.14 kernel.  To log certain events, the help
file says, get token names from scsi.c and echo them to /proc/scsi/scsi.

        So I have the list of tokens, but I don't know what they are for!

error, scan, mlqueue, mlcomplete, llqueue, llcomplete, hlqueue,
hlcomplete, all, none

Can anyone enlighten me?  Eventually I want to watch the Medium and seek
errors I'm getting from my CD-RW drive (emulated SCSI through 'ide-scsi'
and 'scsi-cd').
"You know the old story: girl meets boy, girl modifies boy's subroutines."
              - Captain Janeway, speaking of an Irish barkeep

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: zip drive corrupts files written to it
Date: 07 Mar 2000 00:58:21 EST

On Tue, 07 Mar 2000 05:26:10 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<<8a23tf$ll$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>Hello.  I have an ATAPI zip drive on my Linux 2.2.5-15 machine (RedHat
>to the drive (eg maybe 50K).  When I try to write large files to the
>drive, however, they become corrupt.

I'm really surprised this is not more widely known:  KERNEL 2.2.5 SHIPPED
WITH PROBLEMS IN THE ZIP DRIVE DRIVERS!  Upgrade your kernel to
anything above 2.2.7 and the problems will go away.  You can get the
kernel source at
  ftp://ftp.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel
and there's a guide on compiling a new kernel at
  http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html
...good luck.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows        \          In the MS-DOStrix,
There is no Darkness in Eternity   \----\    there is no fork().

------------------------------

From: jigga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SB Live Value
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 05:30:41 GMT

I have the Value card with the digital din but cannot get CD sound. I can
get MP3's to play though.  Has anybody gotten this setup to work.  Am
running Mandrake 7.0

From: Tom Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XT as terminal on serial port?
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 17:35:24 +1100

Tom Massey wrote:

> Oh (hunts through box of miscellaneous computer stuff) I may already
> have one of these! I've got a 2m cable with a 25-pin connector at both
> ends, and coming out the back of each 25-pin connector is a short cable
> with a 9-pin connector on it. Would this be what you mean? I've got no
> idea where it came from. Thanks.

Well, I'll answer my own question and say, apparently this is the right
cable! Got it up and running. Thanks to all for their help. :-)

------------------------------

From: "David Place" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux compaq SP-750
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 16:53:59 +1000

Hi,

I am wondering if any people had any experience with installing linux on a
compaq SP-750?
Or if anyone know if it should be OK (for info it is 840 chipset, RDRAM,
3dlab GVX1 gfx card,
ultra III scsi, dual Xeon PIII 750MHz, and flat screen 1280x1024).
I know that Xi-Graphics support the GVX1, but for the rest I can't find
anything.

Thanks!

Dav.

------------------------------

From: "Mike Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.os2.networking.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.server
Subject: 3Com Switch and Uplink Problem
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 23:17:13 -0800

I just purchased a 3Com Superstack II 3300 switch and are having problems
with it.  I set it up at my ISP ready to be hooked up to my web servers.
All the lights go ON when I plugged in the RJ-45's from my servers to the
switch.

But when I tried plugging the ISP's jack (which is probably an uplink), it
didn't work.  I'm guessing that I need a crossover cable (since the switch
didn't offer me a uplink bubbon or dedicated port) from my ISP to my switch.

Ok, so I went to Radio Shack and bought a coupler.  I hooked it up on one
end to the ISP's RJ-45, and the other end to a crossover cable.  Then I
plugged it to my switch... and the damn thing still doesn't work.  What am I
doing wrong?  Anyone here have problems with this before?

------------------------------

Subject: SuSE 6.3  Doesn't  Detect My 3Com NIC
From: Lucky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 23:29:43 -0800

I have a 3Com 900b nic. It works fine in Debian and Slack.
I removed the "off" next to "alias eth0" and uncommented the
3c59x module
in /etc/modules.conf  If I do a cat /proc/pci it's there but SuSE
doesn't detect it at boot up. I get a "failed" for a unknown eth0
device. Ifconfig eth0 comes up OK if I load the 3c59x module
manually. I use DHCP but also tried a static IP setup. Can't get
the card up and running. Any suggestions?

From: Jarmo Ahonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Corel Linux and 3C905C Card HELP!!
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 09:45:24 +0200

Hi,

I have the following problem:

I have 3C905C NIC and the standard version of Corel Linux.
I downloaded the driver from the 3COM page. Now the problem
is that I cannot install the driver.

It seems that Corel Linux says that it's Kernel is 2.2.12 and
there is no precompiled modules for that in 3COM package.
Then I decided to compile the module myself. That did not help
because the module turned out to be compiled for a wrong
version of Kernel and insmod did not work...

Has anyone got this working? If yes, please let me know how.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

    Jarmo Ahonen

Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 23:11:16 -0800
From: Leon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unbuffered RAM vs. Registered RAM

They're not kidding, either. In my S1598 MB manual it specifically says
the ram must be unbuffered ( it doesn't mentioned registered). I didn't
know registered was a kind of buffering, so I bought a 128MB dimm that was
"registered". The system wouldn't even begin to boot... just sat there and
beeped. I swapped the dimm for two unbuffered 64MB and the machine came
right up.
Leon

------------------------------

Subject: Re: TurtleBeach Sound Card
From: Kenn Madsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 23:30:56 -0800

Try look at http://linux.aureal.com/  !

-Kenn

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joe Ringer)
Subject: Re: CPU Over clocking
Date: 7 Mar 2000 07:32:15 GMT

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000 14:58:13 -0600, LordCompaq wrote:
>Does anyone know if this configuration would ever work?
>
>I have a  couple processor cards for a compaq proliant server. They run
>486DX/50 chips. The chips can be removed. What would happen if I put in a
>dx4/100 chip or the like. Do you think it might work?
>
>I have taken intel overdrive processors and put them in other compaq
>processor boards (P5/66 board with a 133MHz upgrade chip, and it works
>fine).
>
>I know that the DX/? is a factor of a multiplier of the processor bus, in
>this case 50MHz. Is anyone aware of a DX2/100 or something like that? I have
>been tempted to put a DX2/66 chip in the thing to see what happens, but I am
>not sure as this chip has a bus speed of 33MHz. I dont know what would
>happen if I tried to run it at 50MHz. I guess I might end up with a 100MHz
>board?
>
>If you know the answer, I would like to hear about it.

Does your mobo have jumpers to change the cpu clock? The cpu receives it's
clock from the mobo and will try to run with whatever you supply it. Supply
a clock higher than the cpu is rated for and your overclocking, you'd
probably smoke a DX/4 100 if you feed it 50mhz. Most if not all mobos allow
you to set the clock multiplier also. A DX/4 100 is meant to run 33mhzx3 but
50mhzx2 may work, then again it may not.

WARNING: I think the 486DX 50 was a 5volt chip and most DX/4s are 3.3v and
wouldn't survive at 5volt. You'll either need a voltage regulator board that
sits in between the socket and cpu or just find an Evergreen upgrade package
for your system. BTW, the cpu specifics should be printed on it's case, if
it's not covered by a heatsink?

--
clear skies,            |http://www.erols.com/jringer3/astro1.htm
Joe                     |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SCSI tape drive, device not ready
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 07:31:16 GMT

I don't understand it either, Gene, but it worked.  I changed the
Dat address (SCSI ID) from 0 to 4, now it works fine :)
Thanks, Phil!

Aaron

> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >> Hi.  Please help...
Phil replied:
> >  Try changing the Dat address to 2 or higher.
>
> Excuse me Phil, but what has this to do with access to the drive?  In
my

From: Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI? IDE? Opinions please
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 07:45:01 GMT

In article <7x_w4.30$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Castle) wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David C. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Castle) writes:
> >>
> >> Another good option is putting SWAP on SCSI.  If you can find some
old
> >> 40Meg SCSI drives for cheap, stripe SWAP across them.
> >
> >Not really.  These old drives are slow compared to new drives.
>
> Raw speed isn't the issue.
>
> The better design of SCSI, even compared to modern IDE's, would make
them
> great for swap.  You'd actually let the processor go off and do other
> things while the pages are being fetched/written.

I'd have to disagree.  For your swap, you want FAST seeks, and FAST Data
transfers.  Now, running say 4 40MB SCSI drives you'll do much better
than running one 200MB IDE drive, or even 4 200 MB ide drives, but it
still won't be CLOSE to the superior design of UDMA over SCSI 1, which
it what 40MB drives would probably be.  Now, each of my 1GB SCSI drives
is much faster than my 8GB UDMA IDE drive, so that's the sort of thing
you should be looking at, but it's still not quite fair.  The SCSI
drives with high end SCSI, and the IDE drive was low end IDE.  But the
SCSI is still faster.
        Greg

--
It's pronounced "sexy" not "scuzzy"!

From: "Nodzie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compiling Kernal
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 19:13:57 +1100

Having a few problems compiling the kernal to take into account some new
additions to my system.

I compile the kernal to include all the options I require.

On rebooting get the following message

/boot/system.map incorrect kernal version

Currently running a precompiled kernal of RedHat Linux 6.1 from a magazine
distribution.  Has kernal 2.2.12-20 trying to upgrade to 2.2.14.

I compile the kernal in the following manner

cd /usr/src
rm linux
mkdir linux-2.2.14
ln -s linux-2.2.14 linux
tar -zxvf linux-2.2.14.tar.gz (loaded latest kernal from net)
cd linux
make mrproper
make xconfig
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
cd arch/i386/boot
cp bzImage /boot
cd/ etc
kwrite lilo.conf (chaging the boot to the new kernal)
save
lilo
reboot

Can anyone help me?

Nodzie

------------------------------

From: Scott R. Haven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: RH 6.1 and SCSI tape drive.
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 03:39:03 +0000

Andy,

I believe tapes are configured somewhere in

/etc/sysconfig

perhaps you can specifty the size there?

The other idea is get rid of the kudzu configuration, and try again.  Kudzu
has never done me any good... always screws things up.

I'm using a Sony DAT2 without any config file at all... no problems.

Scott R. Haven
Penguin Magazine
"The newbie friendly online magazine for Linux users."
http://www.PenguinMagazine.com

Subject: Re: ?? Ethernet card help.... :o
From: G. Asch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 06 Mar 2000 03:16:23 -0500

Goofy  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

from a terminal window:

man ifconfig

will tell you a lot of clues that will help you figure out what's wrong.

also look at the local HOWTO's you have in /usr/doc/LDP

G> Fairway Fatty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
G> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Im running RH6.1 and at initial install it seemed all hardware
>> loaded in cluding my Nic card without probs.  I couldnt seem to get
>> my linux partition to recognize my home network or my network
>> printer so i started messin with the network settings in Gnome
>> interface.......any way now when i reboot during the load ethernet0
>> always "fails" where it used to load fine although icouldnt get it
>> thru to anybody....... where and what is the command to reconfig
>> network adapter where can i find some good help info on cofigging
>> my home lan with linux.  this machine is multipartitoned with NT,
>> 98 and Linux and i access the lan/printer with NT or 98 no problem.
>> Another question i'll drop in here - im a rookie (doh!)..... and im
>> running X windows with Gnome.........I d'loaded KDE....... if i
>> install KDE can i still run Gnome...... and is there any
>> difference?  Thanks, FF

you can still run gnome applications, though some fancy things like
docking may not work.

I believe KDE is more stable and uses less memory but this is just my
subjective impression.

Gabriel Asch
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

!!! Note: to foil spammers,
if you reply by email, your message must either contain a
proper Reference header or you must quote !this line!

    "in a sense, you are already dead"
                                   J. L. Borges

From: "Lyle R. Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel update???
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 01:40:22 -0800

The problem is that your /var partition is full.  The RPM database is stored
under the /var directory somewhere.  You will either need to properly free
up space or more it to a larger partition.

Lyle

------------------------------

From: "Lyle R. Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 01:40:34 -0800

------------------------------

From: "Lyle R. Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCMCIA card configuration.....
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 01:44:34 -0800

First you need to make sure you start PCMCIA services by running
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start" (your pcmcia script may be somewhere else
depending on your system).

That likely will handle automatically detecting and setting up any devices that
are plugged in.  Otherwise, configuring a PCMCIA network card, for example, is
the same as configuring any other.

Good luck,

Lyle Taylor

------------------------------

From: "Lyle R. Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: System reqs - is P166 too small/slow?
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 01:52:18 -0800

I had Caldera OpenLinux installed on a Pentium 166 with 64 MB ram, and it
ran fine for me.  It wasn't as fast as I liked, but still very useable.  If
you have less than 64 MB of RAM and want to use KDE, etc., plan on it being
slow.  As was mentioned before, also make sure you have a swap partition.  I
would recommend more than 64 MB.  I always use 128 MB unless there just
isn't space.

Lyle Taylor

------------------------------

From: "Lyle R. Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 01:59:38 -0800

It may depend on what you plan to do with your system.  If you plan to
perform tasks that are very disk intensive, then you may want SCSI,
because it handles it better.  If you plan to do normal, everyday tasks
(web browsing, etc.), then get IDE, because it's much cheaper.  I do a
lot of development, and SCSI seems to work better for me (if only I could
afford to replace my crashed SCSI drive! - was a problem with the brand,
not SCSI).  If you're going to run a server that will be in high demand,
definately go with SCSI.

I also think you will run into less headaches if you use SCSI for other
peripherals like tape drives, etc.  Especially since you can only have 4
IDE devices hooked up to your motherboard (I really wish they would
change that, it's a really stupid and unnecessary limitation).

Lyle Taylor