  Re: Linksys Ethernet Card Won't Initilize: Please Help (Andy Ford)

From: "Alexander Klietz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Subject: Re: PIII vs PIII E - which is faster?
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 07:35:44 +0100

[F'up to: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips]

Jim Cochrane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
8a4lgp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> The fellow at the first shop stated that the E series chip is a
socket
> 370 (PPGA - flip) and that it was a lower-end chip than the non-E
> series and that the E chips were slower than the non-E chips.

That's wrong. Socket 370 chips are cheaper in production cause the
package is more simple, but this doesn't effect the cpu technology
itself, obviously.

> The fellow at the second shop pointed out that there are two
versions
> of the E series chip - the socket 370-type chips and, like the non-E
> chips, slot-1-type chips.  He also stated that the E series is not
> lower end - that these chips are faster than the non-E chips.  The
> reason he gave was that the E chips, although they have a smaller
> (256K) cache, have a bus speed (CPU register to cache RAM) that is
the
> same as the processor speed (e.g., 600MHz for a PIII E 600 chip),
while
> the non-E chips have a bus speed that is half the processor speed.

That's true. The E series chips (codenamed 'Coppermine') have the more
advanced technology, their cache is integrated in the processor core
itself and running with full core clock. Talking about bus speed here
may be a little bit misleading, it's the *backsidebus* (to the cache)
you are talking about, not the frontsidebus to the mainboard (chipset,
RAM...). The frontsidebus is running at 100 MHz or 133 MHz with the
PIII. The older, non-E PIIIs based on the 'Katmai' core have a
cache/backsidebus running at half the core speed, the cache size is
512KB.

> (Also, to add more confusion to the issue, another shop I talked to
> said that Intel had switched from socket 370 to slot 1 chips, but
that
> they have recently switched back to socket 370 chips - so that the
> newest motherboards (not sure if any are available yet) will need to
> support the socket 370 rather than the slot 1 chips.)

Intel has never "switched from socket 370 to slot 1", it's the other
way round. And they won't go back to slot 1, well, most likely. Maybe
he has confused socket 370 with the much older socket 8 or socket 7,
but these are platforms Intel has left a long time ago.

However, you can always use a socket 370 chip on a slot 1 board with
an adapter (slotket) so I wouldn't worry about that. Intel has also
changed the type of chips plugging into socket 370 from the older
Celeron PPGA (still sold) to the newer FC-PGA Pentium III (the
socketed version) and, in fact, older slot 1 board often can
accommodate the new chips more easily (by adding a slotket adapter)
than older socket 370 boards, which are incompatible.

> Does anyone have any informed opinions or, better yet, hard facts
> supporting either side of the issue?  Or is the issue more complex
and
> are both sides right on some aspects and wrong on others?  I find
this very
> confusing, but I also find it fascinating - that the details are so
> complicated that not even "experts" are able to discern them
accurately.

The first guy obviously was no "expert" (I wouldn't call myself an
expert, either, only a well informed user <g>).

What I don't like about Intel's naming scheme is, it is not
consistent. They only add the -E, -B and -EB suffixes to those cpus
which are available in more than one version. I think it would be less
confusing, if *every* Coppermine-core cpu would be named -E, *every*
133 MHz FSB cpu -B and *every* 133 MHz FSB Coppermine -EB.

It seems they want to make the same mistake with the upcoming new
Celeron, reportedly name 500A, 533A, 566, 600. Duh.. recall the 300A?
At least, they could use another letter of the alphabet...

Regards Alex

------------------------------

From: Bernard Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BW QuickCam and Redhat 6.1
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 06:30:04 GMT

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before but I can't seem
to find any info on it.

I'm using Redhat 6.1 and am trying to install an old BW quickcam.
I do an "/sbin/modprobe bw-qcam.o" to load the quickcam driver.
It loads videodev and parport modules ok but when it tries to load the
bw-qcam it says:

/lib/modules/2.2.12-20/misc/bw-qcam.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
parport: Device or resource busy

I don't have lpd loading and I don't know what else would be associating
itself with the parallel port.
I get this messege from two separate (totally different) linux systems
running redhat 6.1.

I know the camera works and I've checked websites for answers to this
problem but have found nothing.

Does anyone have a clue to what may be causing this resource conflict?
Are there other daemons that might be tying up the parallel port.

Thanks for any help,
Bernard Anderson

From: ssr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AGP + Linux = ?
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 14:59:45 +0800

Where do u get the patch from?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 23:15:59 -0800

In article <8a4lgp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Cochrane)
wrote:
> While calling a couple computer shops today to look into upgrading my
> current system to a PIII motherboard, I came across an interesting
> dilemna - essentially, two shops I talked to gave two different
> opinions on two different types of Pentium III processors.
>
> I'm posting here to get y'all's opinions on these issues, but I think
> it may also serve as an interesting (and possibly controversial) topic
> of discussion.  (Perhaps it has already been covered here and is old
> hat; but unfortunately, my main machine is in the shop and I can't
> access the web to search at dejanews with my 486.)

*snip*

> Does anyone have any informed opinions or, better yet, hard facts
> supporting either side of the issue?  Or is the issue more complex and
> are both sides right on some aspects and wrong on others?  I find this very
> confusing, but I also find it fascinating - that the details are so
> complicated that not even "experts" are able to discern them accurately.

E have fulle core speed 256kb L2 cache.  This is generally better than the 512kb
half-speed L2 cache of the non E processors.  B designates 133 MHz system bus.  Better
than non B processors (which are 100MHz system bus), but your system board has to
support this.  You can have just E, just B,  EB, or none.

You can generally get all versions in either Socket or slot versions.

Everything over 600MHz is automatically an E, though it is not designated.  Anadtech
has a nifty chart here:

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1191&p=3

--
Jim Zubb

From: "Ron Reaugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Subject: Re: VIA vs Intel chipsets - which is better?
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 07:22:26 GMT

Dean_Kent wrote in message <#41yLVMi$GA.96@cpmsnbbsa02>...

-snip

>When you consider that almost 50% of all Pentium II/III motherboards
shipped
>today to OEMs are VIA Apollo Pro based, it should tell you something...

Cite a source for that figure.  It's wrong.

VIA still has busmastering EIDE driver problems.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Wick)
Subject: SB128PCI
Date: 8 Mar 2000 07:20:45 GMT

just a little question:

The SB128PCI works well under Linux and Win. But what about the Interupts, is
it possible to set the card fixed to IRQ 5 (DOS-Compatibility) from a
setup-tool? Is there another pci-soundcard with such option and linux support?

--
Only Private Posting
ByeBye

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SB Live Value
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 23:39:15 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, jigga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Adrian Davey wrote:
>>
>> jigga wrote:
>> >
>> > I have the Value card with the digital din but cannot get CD sound. I
> can
>> > get MP3's to play though.  Has anybody gotten this setup to work.  Am
>> > running Mandrake 7.0
>> >
>> > --
>>
>> I'm on RedHat 6.2beta and the way i got it to work is to compile the
>> latest emu10k1-2000xxxx.tar.gz from the creative opensource site. this
>> gives you a much better mixer in gnome which is what you need.
>>
>> try http://opensource.creative.com for the latest drivers.
>>
>> --
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>
>> <pointless_html_tag>
>> linux 2.2.13(ish) on cpu #0, up time -a lot-
>> av load: user -a bit, sys -a bit more
>> </pointless_html_tag>
> Well I downloaded the drivers and isntalled them and I still get no sound
> from my Cd player.  Does anybody know if these drivers have support for the
> digital din?

I have my DVD-ROM hooked up to my Live via the digital input.  Works fine.  Are you
sure that your CD-ROM's didgital out actually works?  Some CD-ROMs were shipped with
bogus digital outs.

--
Jim Zubb

From: "Arf" <walters(antispam)@linkline.com>
Subject: NIC troubles
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 23:50:42 -0800

    I'm running mandrake 7.  I have a Dlink DE-220PCTNIC, which supports
NE2000.  I compiled in the NE2000 drivers to my kernel, but when i boot or
do ifup eth0 it says "Delaying eth0 initialization"  I tried making sure
that the NIC wasnt in PNP mode since that doesnt work with the NE2000
drivers.  Can someone help me out getting this working?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Zajic)
Subject: Re: Linux Rumor #2
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 08:27:27 GMT

On Wed, 08 Mar 2000 00:23:09 GMT, Stuart Lynne wrote:

> have to say I think writing device drivers is easier than lots of
> other types of programming (which is probably why I do it..)

For the same reason that rocket science is easy for a rocket scientist
(as opposed to, say, operating his VCR), I guess. ;-)

Thomas
--
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-   Thomas "ZlatkO" Zajic   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   Linux-2.0.38/slrn-0.9.6.2   -

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: about lilo with ata66 and ata33
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 16:40:25 +0800

Fist time, I  install lilo at  HD (using ata33 IDE bus)and Install linux
at another HD .
Then  I chage the IDE bus from ata33 IDE bus to ata66 IDE bus.
But this time  my lilo is not work.
How could I solve this problem ?

                mainborad: Abit BE6
                HD:
                    First :  Quantum 8.4G (support ata66)(master Third
IDE BUS)-- lilo in this HD.
                    Second:Quqntum 2.1G(master First IDE BUS)
                    Thid: Quantum 2.1G(slave First IDE BUS) -- I install
Linux in this HD.
                    PS: There are four IDE BUS at Main Board

Maybe, the other words:
    Can I install Lilo at  HD  (using ata66 IDE bus )?

------------------------------

From: tjasz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 00:40:31 -0800

"Ignore the stalking ninny."

From: Jojo und Jessica <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mayday Burner is dead? Or not? SuSE6.2
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 10:05:08 +0100

I installed the scsci-emul. like instruction said(at the end of
posting).

My burner Freecom ( Philips OEM ) CDD3801(/31) is known by Linux after
emulation, but has no functions, now in Windows it also has no
functions; even front-button doesn't work for OPEN/CLOSE. I only can
open/close wiht Windows Audio-CD-Player. But CD's reading or writing is
no more possible!
Then I updated firmware to version 1.6, but there is no change.
Is there anything I can do?

Thank you!

Vorgehen:

cdrecord und X-CD-Roast können nur SCSI-Laufwerke als CD-Recorder
ansprechen. Daher müssen Sie zuerst die IDE-SCSI-Emulation für Ihren
CD-Brenner aktivieren.

Gehen Sie daher wie folgt vor:

       Zuerst müssen Sie beim Booten von Linux die IDE-Schnittstelle
angeben, für die später die SCSI-Emulation geladen werden soll. Dazu
müssen Sie entweder eine Optionszeile
       beim Booten mit LILO angeben, oder Sie tragen die entsprechende
Zeile gleich in der Datei /etc/lilo.conf ein:

       Kernel-Option beim Booten mit LILO:

       LILO boot: linux hdc=ide-scsi

                  ^^^^^ ^^^
                  |     Device, an dem der Brenner angeschlossen ist
(hier
                  |     Master-Anschluß am zweiten IDE-Controller)

                  Name Ihrer Linux-Konfiguration

       Folgende Zeile können Sie auch in Ihrer /etc/lilo.conf in der
global section einfügen:

       append="hdc=ide-scsi"

       Nachdem der Rechner dann hochgefahren ist, muß noch das
Kernel-Modul für die SCSI-Emulation geladen werden. Dies geschieht mit
folgendem Befehl als Benutzer root:

       modprobe ide-scsi

       Damit Sie diesen Befehl nicht bei jedem Neustart eingeben müssen,
können Sie ihn auch in /sbin/init.d/boot.local eintragen, dann am besten
mit absoluter Pfadangabe.

Nun können Sie mit dem Befehl "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" sehen, daß Ihr
Brenner unter Linux nun als SCSI-Laufwerk erkannt wird. Damit sollte dem
CD-Brennen nichts mehr im Wege
stehen.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ilepper)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: SCSI Plextor CDROM not regogniced
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 10:08:05 +0100

Hello there,

Ok I must admit I am fearly new at Linux.
After installing Mandrake 7.0 I saw that both my plextor
scsi cd roms weren't detected. My scsi card (Foreport 40)
is detected, and even my external scsi ZIP drive is detected.
but not my cdrom drives.
There's also a utility where you can see what devices are connected to my
scsi adapter, but it didnt find the cdrom drives.
I know they are working, cause under windows no problem.
Here is some info I gathered form Windows

Host Adapter: 0    Adapter Type: symc8xx   Maximum # Targets: 16
Diamond Multimedia FirePort PCI SCSI Host Adapter

Driver           : Symbios Logic Inc. SCSI Miniport Driver (Symbios Logic
Inc.)
File location    : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\iosubsys\SYMC8XX.MPD
File version     : 4.10.1998

ID  2: PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-R412C  V1.07
Read speed: 8-12 X P-CAV, Jumper Settings: 01011000

ID  3: PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-40TS   V1.10
Read speed: 17-40 X CAV, Jumper Settings: 11011000
-

ID  5: IOMEGA   ZIP 100 PLUS     VJ.66

Anybody got a working plextor drive??
Or can anybody point me to some docs about the subject, thanks

Ido de Lepper

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 01:23:59 -0800
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Running linux on new hardware

Anything connected with i820/840 is not in such great shape right
now.  See anandtech.com or tomshardware.com for details.

--
timothymoore    bigfoot com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tony Hague)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Date: 8 Mar 2000 09:37:38 GMT

In article <#41yLVMi$GA.96@cpmsnbbsa02>,
Dean_Kent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>PIII processors using Socket 370 have a lower voltage than the Celerons
>(1.6v vs. 2.0 v, I believe).

Watch out - *all* Coppermine processors have a lower core voltage
(1.65 I think), including the slot1 versions. Not all slot1 motherboards
can regulate that low - check carefully before buying.

Tony.

------------------------------

From: Robert Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Memory Detection
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 09:42:54 +0000

Hi

I just installed RH 6.1 on my machine at home.
AMD K6II 333    Aopen AX59 Pro mother board and 255 Mb of mem.

The kernel is only detecting and using 12 Mb of real mem.

I have a Hercules Terminator Beast (S3 Savage) AGP card that has 12 Mb
in it.

I can get the system going on 12 meg but it spends most of its time
swapping.

The Bios on the mother board test the memory fine at boot up and dross
and windoze98 is also OK.

Has anybody seen this before ?
Surely the kernel is not looking at the agp card?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rob Wilson

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Ford)
Subject: Re: Linksys Ethernet Card Won't Initilize: Please Help
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 19:47:56 -0500

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000 14:12:29 -0800, luckydaze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>I've tried a bunch of different Linux distros but the card
>is not detected and I get an "initialize failed" at boot up. I
>tried compiling the kernel in RH 6.1 for the Dec 21x4x tulip but
>it still won't work. Doing a "insmod tulip" gives me an error of
>"device or resource busy" I tried insmod ne since I heard the
>Linksys is Ne2000 compatable but it didn't work either. I tried
>setting the bios in my Abit BH6 to "no pnp OS" I don't know of
>any way to turn off PNP on the Linksys LNE100TX card itself.
>I tried
>the Diagnostic utility they include it gives no option to turn
>this off. I don't what to try at this point. I tried a bunch of
>different IRQ's in the bios but it doesn't help. Does anyone know
>how to get this damn card working in Linux please?
>

>* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
>The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

I had luck getting more recent drivers and compiling the tulip.o myself
on some Linsys cards. Others just work.
--
yours,
Andy