Linux-Hardware Digest #421, Volume #12            Tue, 7 Mar 00 12:13:11 EST

Contents:
  Re: SCSI? IDE? Opinions please (David C.)
  Re: adding a scsi controller (Michael J Porter)
  Re: 4 Celeron motherboard? (David C.)
  Re: 4 Celeron motherboard? (Atle)
  Re: 4 Celeron motherboard? (Atle)
  Re: Remote Display Problem. (Dave Weis)
  Re: not sloooow, but sluggish linux modem (Ellen Koinz)
  Re: 4 Celeron motherboard? (Atle)
  Re: 4 Celeron motherboard? (David C.)
  Re: 4 Celeron motherboard? (David C.)
  Re: not sloooow, but sluggish linux modem (Atle)
  Re: linux killed my hdd i think (jaelica)
  Re: 4 Celeron motherboard? (Atle)
  Re: HPT366 and Linux (William Robison)
  SB PCI128 problems ("Gary A. Lepley")
  CD-Writer ide-scsi irq timeout errors (Christopher Wong)
  Re: not sloooow, but sluggish linux modem (Atle)
  Re: diamond speedstar A50 open GL driver
  Joysticks? (David Topper)
  Re: Accessing on-board thermometer and fan (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Compiling Kernal ("Steffen Jost")
  Re: Compiling Kernal (Dances With Crows)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Subject: Re: SCSI? IDE? Opinions please
Date: 07 Mar 2000 10:09:11 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Castle) writes:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David C. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Castle) writes:
> >>
> >> Another good option is putting SWAP on SCSI.  If you can find some old
> >> 40Meg SCSI drives for cheap, stripe SWAP across them.
> >
> >Not really.  These old drives are slow compared to new drives.
>
> Raw speed isn't the issue.
>
> The better design of SCSI, even compared to modern IDE's, would make
> them great for swap.  You'd actually let the processor go off and do
> other things while the pages are being fetched/written.

Not when there's a 6:1 difference in speed between the drives.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael J Porter)
Subject: Re: adding a scsi controller
Date: 7 Mar 2000 10:00:49 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ron S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
=>Even with kerneld running, an attempt to mount the drive results in:
=>
=>mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/sda as a block device
=>           (maybe 'insmod driver'?)
=>
=>Here again, if I manually do the insmod for the driver, it does mount. Why
=>isn't kerneld dynamically loading the module?
=>
=>BTW, what is the normal mechanism for starting kerneld. I didn't see it
=>anywhere in the rc configuration or inittab.

In newer kernels, I think it is kernel thread.  In 2.0.xx, it was a
seperate process.  Any messages in /var/log/messages?  dmesg?  How
about modprobe scsi_host_adapter?  Did you recompile the kernel
without kerneld support?  CONFIG_KMOD=y in /usr/src/linux/.config
would enable kerneld support.

Mike
--
===
Mike Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Subject: Re: 4 Celeron motherboard?
Date: 07 Mar 2000 10:15:21 -0500

Atle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> "David C." wrote:
>>
>> Unless you want to go for a _VERY_ expensive system with redundancy and
>> fault protection built-in to each board, there is nothing you can do
>> about this kind of failure.
>
> I know that some memory boards can remap faulty flip-flops or dynamic
> cells, but this is limited, I don't know how many extra bytes of RAM
> that can be remapped this way, but I myself wouldn't try to implement
> 1% like this, unless the error-rate was very high.
>
> But self-repairing processors? This sounds like sci-fi. What is being
> repaired, except for registers and stuff like that?

I didn't say "self-repairing".  I said "redundancy and fault
protection".

Circuitry on the board constantly monitors the processors and their
boards. When a failure is detected, that CPU (or its board) is shut down
and some other one (installed as a standby) is turned on to take its
place.

These kinds of things are common in large mission-critical systems.
They are unheard of in systems as small as PCs.

If you're not doing something like launching the Space Shuttle or
controlling an oil refinery, or something similar (where a failure can
result in people getting killed), you probably have no need for this
kind of redundancy.

-- David

------------------------------

From: Atle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 17:59:07 +0100

"David C." wrote:

> Go visit the web pages for Compaq, Dell, Micron and other major system
> vendors.
Thanks for the links! I am set on putting this together myself, this is
why I never got the idea to look at the 'big boys'!

Of course, I have time for this, since I am going for a 2-CPU board now
anyway, and I will have to do something useful to earn some money before
I can look for a bigger system :-)

Atle

------------------------------

From: Atle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 18:00:55 +0100

"David C." wrote:

> Rolf Magnus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > Perhaps a 4xXeon or something. But I don't exactly know if the
> > P-III-Xeons also support more than 2 CPUs.
>
> The Xeon supports up to 8 CPUs, if the motherboard has support for it.
> I know that Dell and Compaq ship systems that support this
> configuration.  I suspect that others do too.

Obviously, they will have to need motherboards for them - unless each of
them biuld their own ... and in that case, it is only a question of time
before something bigger, better and cheaper comes out of Taiwan ...

Thanks in any case - think I will let it rest now :-)

Atle

------------------------------

From: Dave Weis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Remote Display Problem.
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 08:39:05 -0600

On 7 Mar 2000, ognomos wrote:
> I've been trying to get X-windows programs running on a remote machine
> to display on my local Redhat linux box.The remote computer was running
> Sun 5.6
> OS, and the coonection was ppp. I set the display variable remotely with
> $ export DISPLAY=my ip adress:0

You should do this on the sunos machine.

> after I telnetted into the remote machine.
> I tried an insecure
> $ xhost +

You need to do this on your local machine before telnetting.

> to get a display, but not even that worked.I got the error message:
>    Xt error: Could not open display <my ip address>
>  Has anyone else running linux come across this problem? Any ideas as to
> why I'm not getting a display? Could it be a hardware problem? I have an
> old VGA monitor and S3 graphics VGA graphics card.Any help would be much
> appreciated.

Be warned that this will probably be quite slow.

dave

--
David Weis                | 10520 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50322
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      | Voice 515-278-0133 Ext 231
                          | http://www.perfectionlearning.com/
When they took the Fourth Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't deal drugs.
When they took the Fifth Amendment, I was quiet because I was innocent.
When they took the Second Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't own a gun.
Now they've taken the First Amendment and I can't say anything.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ellen Koinz)
Subject: Re: not sloooow, but sluggish linux modem
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 13:33:00 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Atle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Ellen Koinz wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>         J.R. Lockwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>>  If I download a small file, I
>> > get good speed because the whole thing can transfer during the "fast
>> > phase", but for larger files, I can barely maintain 2.8 KB/s because of the
>> > cyclical behavior of the modem speed.
>> >

>> Sounds to me as if your serial port isn't set to operate at hi speed.
>>
> If it weren't for the statement about Windows doing OK - I would have
> attributed this to the same thing I had: Phone lines that are not

Nope. _Because_ Windows is doing OK I'm confident that it's the serial port
isn't set up properly. It's a matter of initializing the 16550A at boot
time. Put something like

${SETSERIAL} -b /dev/ttyS1 irq 3 port 0x2F8 skip_test autoconfig spd_vhi ${STD_F
LAGS}

into your 0setserial and your done (adjust the parameters to your need).
The 'spd_vhi' command does the trick.

Cheers
Ellen

------------------------------

From: Atle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 18:05:51 +0100

"David C." wrote:

> Atle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > "David C." wrote:

> I didn't say "self-repairing".  I said "redundancy and fault
> protection".
Sorry - but of course, it always gets more interesting when pushing the
envelope. Theoretically, the same technology that is used for burning
PROMs can be used to 'burn' a new logic like a PLA in response to a
system failure. I have seen examples of this, but never in 'real life'

> Circuitry on the board constantly monitors the processors and their
> boards. When a failure is detected, that CPU (or its board) is shut down
> and some other one (installed as a standby) is turned on to take its
> place.

Of course, reduncancy is not as difficult to implement as 'self-repair',
but it is only practical for very simple circuitry... it is really
'self-repair' that is interesting. And I believe there is a need for it
- where the cost of developing the additional circuit logic intersect
with the cost of having to replace a faulty circuit. But I have no idea
what kind of system it would apply to ...

Atle

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Date: 07 Mar 2000 10:24:20 -0500

Atle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> "David C." wrote:
>>
>> Go visit the web pages for Compaq, Dell, Micron and other major
>> system vendors.
>
> Thanks for the links! I am set on putting this together myself, this
> is why I never got the idea to look at the 'big boys'!

Once you start talking about more than two processors, you're now
looking at a different market.  These systems are usually beyond the
scope of an office user or a hobbiest - they're typically only sold to
corporate network administrators.  (And given the prices, it's not
surprising why.)

4-way and 8-way systems typically ship with Windows NT.  I think Linux
will also use all the CPUs.  I don't know how well Linux performs
compared to NT on an 8-way system.

You may also want to consider Sun's Solaris/x86 OS.  I've seen it in use
on the 8-way Compaq boxes, and it performs very well.  Far better than
NT.  (I don't know how it compares against Linux, though.)

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Date: 07 Mar 2000 10:26:26 -0500

Atle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> "David C." wrote:
>> Rolf Magnus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>>
>>> Perhaps a 4xXeon or something. But I don't exactly know if the
>>> P-III-Xeons also support more than 2 CPUs.
>>
>> The Xeon supports up to 8 CPUs, if the motherboard has support for
>> it.  I know that Dell and Compaq ship systems that support this
>> configuration.  I suspect that others do too.
>
> Obviously, they will have to need motherboards for them - unless each
> of them biuld their own ... and in that case, it is only a question of
> time before something bigger, better and cheaper comes out of Taiwan

Compaq makes their own board for this.

Dell uses an Intel-made board, which you should be able to find a vendor for.

I think most other vendors use the Intel board.

-- David

------------------------------

From: Atle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 18:10:31 +0100

"J.R. Lockwood" wrote:

> bottlenecks are plausible?  It can't be my phone line as Windows achieves
> the good throughput using exactly the same hardware.  Is it possible that
> the serial port is fast enough but that the CPU is ignoring it
Be sure that the kernel is compiled for the right chips. There are some
minor incompatabilities between different circuits, check the source if
necessary. I just remembered this from somewhere, and I don't remember
where - I think there are some switches that can be set in Windows for
some different kinds of hardware. Be sure that the same switches are set
in Linux.
I don't know what would happen if the hardware was asked to use
HW-bufferes that are not there, but the response may well be what you
are experiencing.

If you want to, I can try to find out where it was I saw this, or others
might know by heart ...

Atle

------------------------------

Subject: Re: linux killed my hdd i think
From: jaelica <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 07:41:19 -0800

First of all, my sympathies. Depending on your level of computer
experience, Disk Druid may be better for you than fdisk (but you
already know that).

Did you low-level format an IDE drive? I don't think that was a
good idea (especially if you can't read from it now). You may
need Norton's or some other disk utility to rescue your drive,
especially if no fdisk program can recognize the drive.

Ask around. I'm certain someone you know has such a utility.

BTW, you mentioned Partition Magic. Did install Partition
Magic prior to loading Linux, and if so, did you create a rescue
disk?

From: Atle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 18:26:27 +0100

"David C." wrote:

> Once you start talking about more than two processors, you're now
> looking at a different market.  These systems are usually beyond the
> scope of an office user or a hobbiest - they're typically only sold to
> corporate network administrators.  (And given the prices, it's not
> surprising why.)
:-( - But I have some hope that this will change. Once 8-way systems
becomes 'old news' and there are enough clones. This will bring me back
to my first argument: I would rather spend X$ on two weaker processors
than one very strong. This is because the price/performance is getting
steep near the state-of-the art for chips - whereas chips that have
already had the development cylcle paid for, tend to be cheaper, and
thus give much more bang-per-$ than fx. the Athlon (that may become
obsolete as I write this :-)

> 4-way and 8-way systems typically ship with Windows NT.  I think Linux
> will also use all the CPUs.  I don't know how well Linux performs
> compared to NT on an 8-way system.

That is the least of my worries! If you build it, Linux will come. That
is becoming a law of nature, half a million hackers just can't resist
the idea :-)

Atle

------------------------------

From: William Robison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HPT366 and Linux
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 09:42:31 -0600

macross wrote:

> Same deal here with the lockup....no idea why and i haven't found any
> answers..
>
> Macross

My hpt366 was unstable until I moved it
to a slot with it's own IRQ...

-Willy

------------------------------

From: "Gary A. Lepley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SB PCI128 problems
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 11:24:45 -0500

This has probably been touched on before, but being new to this newsgroup,
please bare with me.  I'm running RH 6.1 along with this SB PCI128.  The
sndconfig finds the card fine and sets it up.  The problem is this:  the
sound is very faint.  I have to really crank up the ol' speakers to hear
anything.  The only place I found to adjust volume is in Mixer, I believe.
I have that all the way up.

The interesting thing is, this is a 2nd install for various reasons and it
worked fine before.  For the life of me, I can't remeber having to do
anything special to get it to work the 1st time.

I know this card is common so if anyone could point me in the right
direction, I'd much appreciate it

thanks

Gary

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Wong)
Subject: CD-Writer ide-scsi irq timeout errors
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 16:24:44 GMT

I am trying to set up a HP CD-Writer Plus 7200 Series IDE drive for
use with cdrecord. After reading the appropriate docs, I set it up to
the point where cdrecord recognizes the drive. Unfortunately, the
drive seems nonfunctional. I cannot mount an ordinary ISO 9660 CD (I
tried several). Any suggestions?  I am using Mandrake 6.1 (kernel
2.2.13) on a system without any SCSI equipment. The gory details
follow. Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

I have the following lines in my /etc/conf.modules file:

   alias scd0 sr_mod
   alias scsi_hostadaptor ide-scsi
   options ide-cd ignore=hdc

I have the following line in my /etc/lilo.conf file:

   append="hdc=ide-scsi"

After doing "insmod ide-scsi", cdrecord -scanbus returns:

   Cdrecord 1.8 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jvrg Schilling
   Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
   scsibus0:
      0,0,0     0) 'HP      ' 'CD-Writer+ 7200 ' '3.01' Removable CD-ROM
      0,1,0     1) *

Here is what happened when I attempted to mount the CD as root (the
drive light flashes, indicating activity):

   #  mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom
   mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
   mount: No medium found

The following is what appeared in my /var/log/messages (a bunch of
lines wrapped):

Mar  7 10:50:53 myhost kernel: sr0: CDROM (ioctl) error, command: Test \
   Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
Mar  7 10:50:53 myhost kernel: Info fld=0x0, Current sr0b:00: sense key \
   Medium Error
Mar  7 10:50:53 myhost kernel: Additional sense indicates Unable to \
   recover table-of-contents
Mar  7 10:51:23 myhost kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout: \
   pid 566, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Start/Stop Unit 00 00 00 03 00
Mar  7 10:51:23 myhost kernel: hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Mar  7 10:51:25 myhost kernel: hdc: ATAPI reset complete
Mar  7 10:51:25 myhost kernel: hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Mar  7 10:51:28 myhost kernel: hdc: ATAPI reset complete
Mar  7 10:51:28 myhost kernel: hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Mar  7 10:51:28 myhost kernel: scsi0 channel 0 : resetting for second \
   half of retries.
Mar  7 10:51:28 myhost kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
Mar  7 10:51:59 myhost kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout: \
   pid 566, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Start/Stop Unit 00 00 00 03 00
Mar  7 10:51:59 myhost kernel: SCSI host 0 abort (pid 566) timed out - \
   resetting
Mar  7 10:51:59 myhost kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0
channel 0.
Mar  7 10:51:59 myhost kernel: hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Mar  7 10:51:59 myhost kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout: \
   pid 566, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Start/Stop Unit 00 00 00 03 00
Mar  7 10:51:59 myhost kernel: SCSI host 0 abort (pid 566) timed out - \
   resetting
(last 2 lines repeats 3 times)
Mar  7 10:52:01 myhost kernel: hdc: ATAPI reset complete
(This resetting repeats a few more times)
Mar  7 10:52:41 myhost kernel: sr0: CDROM (ioctl) error, command: \
   Start/Stop Unit 00 00 00 03 00
Mar  7 10:52:41 myhost kernel: sr0b:00: old sense key None
Mar  7 10:52:41 myhost kernel: Non-extended sense class 0 code 0x0 \
   <6>cdrom: open failed.

------------------------------

From: Atle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 19:31:22 +0100

Ellen Koinz wrote:

> Nope. _Because_ Windows is doing OK I'm confident that it's the serial port
> isn't set up properly. It's a matter of initializing the 16550A at boot
> time. Put something like

I just came to wonder: Isn't there one of these that has a hardware
buffer and the other doesn't - or they both have, but one is bigger than
the other?
Or does this date back to the 8250?

Atle

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: diamond speedstar A50 open GL driver
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 16:30:38 GMT

Hi Steve.

I belive there is an OpenGL driver on www.opengl.org. Look for the SIS
6326 chipset

Morten.

From: David Topper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Joysticks?
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 11:46:08 -0500

Hi folks,

I'm searching for some info on how to read X/Y (and potentially other)
joystick data.  Can't seem to find anything good.  I notice that my
2.2.13 kernel has joystick support as a module.

Email responses preferred.

Thanks,

Dave Topper
--
Technical Director - Virginia Center for Computer Music
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~djt7p

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Accessing on-board thermometer and fan
Date: 07 Mar 2000 12:04:03 EST

On Tue, 07 Mar 2000 10:21:38 GMT, Staffan Bruun <<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
shouted forth into the ether:
>How do I access the on-board thermometers and fan tachometers on Linux?
>My motherboard is a QDI Brilliant IV. Is there kernel support for this,
>and if not, are there any standards related to this?

Go to http://www.freshmeat.net and look for "lmsensors".  It's a kernel
patch that allows you to retrieve that data from where most BIOSes keep
it.  It should work without much trouble...

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows        \          In the MS-DOStrix,
There is no Darkness in Eternity   \----\    there is no fork().

------------------------------

From: "Steffen Jost" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiling Kernal
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 10:38:28 +0100

Nodzie schrieb in Nachricht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
--snip----

>Can anyone help me?

Sure!

>Nodzie

Simply copy the file system.map from /usr/src/linux to the directory /boot
(where you copied your kernel to) thatīs all, this file contains the version
info needed!

Steffen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 07 Mar 2000 12:09:12 EST

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000 19:13:57 +1100, Nodzie <<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
shouted forth into the ether:
>Having a few problems compiling the kernal to take into account some new
>additions to my system.
>I compile the kernal to include all the options I require.
>On rebooting get the following message
>/boot/system.map incorrect kernal version

While this looks like a scary error, it shouldn't affect what you do in
the slightest.  The System.map file is mainly used when debugging a
kernel, and you're probably not doing that.  If you're tired of seeing the
error message, then
  # cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map
and the error will disappear.